Author Topic: Venture into the World of Dreams - Let's Play Klonoa: The Door to Phantomile  (Read 2809 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Okay, first off. The reason why I did this was because I was searching for some old games on my disc list on our attic. I was going to play Valkyrie Profile first...but someone has beaten me to it. I then found this little rare gem that brings a bit of nostalgia.
I only actually played most famous older games when I was in high school. Since my dad was a part-gamer himself, he would just keep his older consoles(like NES, SNES, Atari, etc) as a collection, and that gives me some chance to play older games on his.

This cute little furry guy named Klonoa, is one of Namco's many mascots besides Pac-Man. Unlike the latter though, Klonoa never made the cut. Klonoa is...from my view, a dog-like creature. Seeing he wears a collar, it is safe to assume he is a dog. He was never as famous as many mascots(even the ones like Bubsy) you see today. I posted Klonoa on the "Underrated and Overlooked Games" thread. It was the time I was remembering something, and found it that same day.

Klonoa: The Door to Phantomile is the first game of the series. Released in 1998, it is a side-scrolling platformer that features 2Dish to 3Dish characters in a 3D environment(most call this 2.5D. A 2D sprite with a 3D look). The game was critically praised in Japan with a lot of sales, but rather poor outside of Japan. And this reason is why Klonoa never got famous. Although presumably it was overshadowed by Gex 2: Enter the Gecko in western countries. The game has a sequel on the PS2 named as Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, and a remake of the first game can be found on the Wii. The original game is also available for download on the Playstation Network.

The game's setting is in a fictional world known as Phantomile. There are five locations,these are Breezegale, Jugpot, Forlock, Coronia, and Cress.

Now for the plot. I don't really know it myself, since the last time I played was when I was maybe around 3rd Grade or so. So the memory's a blur, and I only know much of the whole story of any game if I actually just search it on the web. But AFAIK, the plot is about Klonoa, an adorable little furry anthropomorphic creature along with his ghost-in-a-ring thingy named Huepow that traverses to different places to save the world of dreams. That's it, nothing too complicated.
Chronologically, Klonoa does seem to age. As his looks differs from the first game and the sequel.

I still have a legitimate copy of the game(the game is rather rare nowadays), but I decided to emulate the iso on the PC. For various reasons, and some of them are: because if I would manually record it, I would have to set up our older television, the older console, untangle some wires, get the capture card, and a lot more strenuous work. I could just set up the console and put it on our current TV right? No, the game image would stretch in an HDTV. It would look horrible. So instead, I decided to do it on a rather easier way. Emulation.

Now how am I going to do this LP? Well as much as I'd love to play and commentate a video gameplay, I can't. My place is rather noisy during the day and  summer's really hot that I have my fan on near me(air conditioning's broke), and it'll just interrupt my mic records. I'll do it probably on my next ones. So what I'm just going to do is to play the game, show a video gameplay, and some screenshots that I'll put here. I will only post story-based screenshots like interactions, cutscenes and stuff. The video should be enough for the gameplay. Oh btw, I'll finish the game, seeing that this is a rather straightforward game.

Anyways let's start...

Okay...

We'll just put in our name.

...and we're good to go.

-Video Gameplays-
-TDtP [Vision 1-1]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:53:53 AM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Zerviscos

[Prologue - A Reality in a Dream]
Video Prologue --> Klonoa: TDtP [Vision 1-1] @ 0:00 until 3:41

So we start of with a dream here.

So here we have our titular character wandering the forest...

But wait...

What's that? Something's falling!

The shockwave from the fall caught the attention our little hero.

A ring?...

Let's see if we can pu--!

Pomf* (but much harder than a bed...a ground)

You should be more careful.

Oh. What a shiny, mysterious ri--...

Whoah?!

...So who are you?

Looks like we've made a new friend.

What? What's that?

Something fell again?!

But...what? Huh?

Aaaahhh-----

hhhhhaaahhh!?

Oh a dream!?

Oh hey their friend. Ehehah~
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:55:30 AM by En »

Zerviscos

A lot of objects really like to fall huh?

Alright...let's start our adventure!

Video Gameplay --> Klonoa: TDtP [Vision 1-1] @ 3:43

So we stopped by in an unfinished tower, and then...

A mysterious voice?

Woah?! You surprised us!

We didn't know...there's no sign.

No. Don't apologize.

Yes, we didn't know that.

Avid fan I see...aren't we a little too old, old timer?

Good quest--

!!!

You don't have to shout like that...

Thoughts* Good call, good call.

And there he goes...jumping...or leaping.
After cutscene Video Gameplay --> Klonoa: TDtP [Vision 1-1] @ 7:07