Author Topic: [Post here] Underrated and Overlooked Games  (Read 17802 times)

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
Re: [Post here] Underrated and Overlooked Games
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »
Rudra no Hihou
Oh, the lewd spells I would come up with...
I feel like the plot kind of fell flat in the final scenario though.
Spoiler:
Dune assumes leadership out of nowhere, the few bosses that you faced were easily forgettable, and the ending seemed to imply a sequel that was never released.
[/size]

Is this obscure enough?

redlakitu

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
Seconding Tyrian, a brilliant game, perhaps even better than Raptor: Call of the Shadows which was the first shoot'em up game in my life. I think I was seven years old...
Here's something vastly overlooked: two Apogee platformers, Secret Agent and Crystal Caves.  Both incredibly fun games running on a slick engine with lots of potential. Both needed a level editor badly since the original levels were way too easy... and besides, just look at the gameplay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcjEcLvAuo

This literally screams for a level editor (which likely would have been very easy and intuitive to use). I can imagine thriving community websites flooded with dozens upon dozens of map packs. But somehow none of this ever happened.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
Is this obscure enough?
Is that a Three Kingdoms RPG?

By Capcom?

How did I never know about this--WAIT YES I DID I used to see this in my old Nintendo Power magazines all the time but the connection literally just hit me AGES after both that and dynasty warriors??

Anyway, Distorted Travesty (Wish I could find a video that isn't voiced over or on Beginner)
It's an amateur (not even indie, but amateur) game by one guy who shamelessly borrowed 98% of the game's resources.  And he proceeded to create what is actually an amazing experience in terms of gameplay - simple in theory but super hard to master, and absurdly difficult on the hardest difficulty (I am STILL trying to get through the final area) - but in a way that feels both A) fair (excluding some nonsense platforming at times) and B) is constantly progressing steadily in difficulty, right up until the end.  The spellcasting mechanics offer you a surprising amount of options in combat and the dash system - being a back/forward/air dash with invincibility for most of it - gets you leaping through enemy bullets and flying around the battlefield when you're really playing it right.  It's fucking awesome, obviously free, and there's now actually three games in the series.

ZetaBladeX13

• I've had to make how many now?
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
The remake of La-Mulana is finally coming out on Steam in a few days. Took forever to get Greenlit since no one seems to know it even exists (unlike say, Cave Story).

Anyone else getting it?

Hooray for having to make yet another one =D
Original account: 8/20/2008

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2013, 05:43:20 PM »
Anyway, Distorted Travesty (Wish I could find a video that isn't voiced over or on Beginner)
It's an amateur (not even indie, but amateur) game by one guy who shamelessly borrowed 98% of the game's resources.  And he proceeded to create what is actually an amazing experience in terms of gameplay - simple in theory but super hard to master, and absurdly difficult on the hardest difficulty (I am STILL trying to get through the final area) - but in a way that feels both A) fair (excluding some nonsense platforming at times) and B) is constantly progressing steadily in difficulty, right up until the end.  The spellcasting mechanics offer you a surprising amount of options in combat and the dash system - being a back/forward/air dash with invincibility for most of it - gets you leaping through enemy bullets and flying around the battlefield when you're really playing it right.  It's fucking awesome, obviously free, and there's now actually three games in the series.

Seconding this. It can get pretty ridiculous at times
Spoiler:
coughthinkandactfastcough
, and the plot kinda peters out halfway in, but it picks up big time near the end. In fact, I'd recommend it if only for the final area, which is a really good example on how to integrate the plot into the gameplay, and the final battle is awesome on its own right as well.

The remake of La-Mulana is finally coming out on Steam in a few days. Took forever to get Greenlit since no one seems to know it even exists (unlike say, Cave Story).

Anyone else getting it?

I've been waiting for this one to come out since the wiimake was first revealed what, three years ago now?  :V I tried playing the original, but for some reason the text wouldn't display, which didn't really make the game any easier to play. Can't wait to bash my head against the Sun Shrine again.

ZetaBladeX13

• I've had to make how many now?
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
With the original, that was an error I also ran into when I tried playing it on a laptop with windows Vista. The fix had something to do with swapping out image/text files IIRC.

Edit:
http://agtp.romhack.net/pantheon/index.php?topic=150.0
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:53:47 PM by ZetaBladeX13 »

Hooray for having to make yet another one =D
Original account: 8/20/2008

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

Anyone else getting it?
The La-Mulana Remake was like #4 or 5 on my "games of the year" list for last year, and I'm willing to buy it again.  It's amazing, and fixes so many of the things that were bad about the original (low communicativeness in the environment, far better gameplay and puzzle difficulty curves, reduction of "how the fuck do you learn that" puzzles) while leaving all the awesome intact.

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »
Secret of Evermore. Not what i'd call necessary, but check it out. Made by Squaresoft back when they experimented with new games.

You have a Gamecube? Get Lost Kingdoms and it's sequel Lost Kingdoms 2. Both are excellent Jrpg's. You use cards to battle, and you get a deck of 30. Some cards are monsters that can be used as weapons, some summon monsters that act independently to the field to attack for you, and some are giant area of effect spells such as damage, buffs for your independent monsters, and healing. there are 5 elements and every card has one. They are: Fire, Water,Plant,Earth and no element. 

Pretty much any Tales of Game is well done, but i'm gonna recommend Tales of Destiny/2 and Tales of Symphonia

Grab yourself a copy of Mach Rider for the NES. It's gonna test your reflexes! It's gonna test your patience! And best of all, it's gonna rock your socks off with this wicked chip tune:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQKYXLNGhkM (skip ahead to 1:23 for the actual song).

That's all I got.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
Oh, I remembered something on the PS1 recently.
A game called Klonoa. I'm pretty sure it's not famous, 'cause you know it's one of those things where companies try to create famous "mascots". This one is by Namco.

I played the game myself and it was pretty adorable. And when I mean adorable, I MEAN ADORABLE.  :yukkuri:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:47:36 PM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
Oh, I remembered something on the PS1 recently.
A game called Klonoa. I'm pretty sure it's not famous, 'cause you know it's one of those things where companies try to create famous "mascots". This one is by Namco.

I played the game myself and it was pretty adorable. And when I mean adorable, I MEAN ADORABLE.  :yukkuri:
Ah, Klonoa!  I should really return to the Wii remake of the original sometime; I've also played two of them that were released on GBA.  And of course it's been referenced a billion times in other Namco RPGs... but yeah, very few people have actually played a Klonoa game.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
Ah, Klonoa!  I should really return to the Wii remake of the original sometime; I've also played two of them that were released on GBA.  And of course it's been referenced a billion times in other Namco RPGs... but yeah, very few people have actually played a Klonoa game.

I actually played Klonoa 2! I enjoyed the hell out of that game. I would keep doing the levels in Volk City over and over again because I liked them so much. Of course, I did complete the game, but I always enjoyed those levels.
I also remembered an overlooked game that I never hear about much: Engima. I mentioned it in my "what am I playing now" post, but I'll mention it again. It's a hugely expanded remake of a game known as Oxyd, which is an object manipulation game where you control a marble with your mouse in order to activate stones which have colors on them. When all of these stones are activated in pairs of the same color, you win the level. Of course, it's a LOT more complicated than that. It can be found here. It's free to play, so anyone can give it a shot.

EDIT: Oxyd itself was based on an even older game, Esprit, for the Atari ST 1040. That's one old game. Engima contains all of its and Oxyd's levels, if people were interested in them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:46:45 PM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »
Dark Legions is one of my favorite games. It has literally no story at all (in-game, at least; the manual has a small snippet of a story to contextualiza the matches), but I simply love the gameplay; it's one of those "chess-like" games where you move your pieces on a board, and when two opposing pieces fall on the same square, you switch to a battlefield where you control your piece and must defeat the enemy in real-time combat. It's a bit like Archon (which I also love), but you could actually build your army the way you wanted, choosing from 16 different pieces that had a wide range of powers (the Vampire being my absolute favorite depiction of these monsters in anything ever). You could also but things like special rings to improve the stats of your troops, and traps to litter across the battlefield. They even have a day-to-night cycle (day time weakens undead troops and make living troops stronger, night time does the opposite), and head-to-head multiplayer (unusual for a dos game from that time), although this makes certain units and all traps pretty pointless (unless you order your friend to close their eyes when it's your turn).

It's a pity that this genre of games basically died. There was one for PS1 (Unholy War) and one for the PS2 (Wrath Unleashed), and one chess game that had a game mode with this concept (Battle Chess), and while they were all pretty good (specially Wrath), I really wanted a remake of Dark Legions... or at least a patch to correct some balance issues (nerf the Demon a bit ffs that thing is way to over powered).

It's very easy to run the game using DosBox, and since it's abandonware, you can download it with no problems. You'll also need to download the manual, since everytime you start the game it'll ask for a specific word from somewhere in it before allowing you to play (lol anti-piracy from the 90's), but you can usually find it along with the game for download.

Err, since the game is abandonware it's fine to talk about downloading it, yes?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:03:37 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 02:02:54 AM »
Nyet III: Revenge of the Mutant Stones

Because how do you make Tetris interesting?  Turn it into a stage-based game where the game actively hates you and wants you to suffer by causing all sorts of ridiculous shit to happen while you're playing, making you play on different preconstructed stages, limiting piece types... etc etc etc. ; succeed and you get money, which you'll be using to buy items that will assist you - hell you have to buy your game saves, so no just retrying single stages until you get lucky!  Oh, and the best part?  the game is free for download legally now.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »
Startropics! One of the best NES RPGs I've ever played, and the story line is bat shit crazy. The second one was meh.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2013, 05:52:38 AM »
Am I the only one who remembers Tyrian/Tyrian 2000? Got me into shooters, it did. Shame it works so poorly on Windows 7.
HOLY SHIT I had this game on my super old Windows 95 PC (that we have on the garage still). Damn, I played the hell out of that game back when I was a kid. So much destruction to be had everywhere.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2013, 04:17:05 AM »
Startropics! One of the best NES RPGs I've ever played, and the story line is bat shit crazy. The second one was meh.

I played 1 by borrowing it from a friend...I got hopelessly stuck in the middle of the game.. could NOT figure out where to go next...This was before the internet was a thing, so I couldn't just gamefaqs it or anything.

Anyway, looking back at it, I suppose there's a good chance I got stuck at the "throw your paper in water" part since I never actually had the book or the papers or whatever since I only had the cart cuz friend borrow. I asked him but he said he never really played the game so he didn't know. blah.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2013, 05:32:43 AM »
Anyway, looking back at it, I suppose there's a good chance I got stuck at the "throw your paper in water" part since I never actually had the book or the papers or whatever since I only had the cart cuz friend borrow. I asked him but he said he never really played the game so he didn't know. blah.
As soon as you said that you got stuck I knew that's what it was. Luckily my cousin wrote it down and when he gave the game to me as a kid he gave me the code with it. I remember Nintendo Power said they got that question a ton, I'm pretty sure it published somewhere in one or a few of the issues. What a cool but terrible idea, right?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
As soon as you said that you got stuck I knew that's what it was. Luckily my cousin wrote it down and when he gave the game to me as a kid he gave me the code with it. I remember Nintendo Power said they got that question a ton, I'm pretty sure it published somewhere in one or a few of the issues. What a cool but terrible idea, right?
To be fair, Startropics was full of a lot of "How the hell were you supposed to know this" (pretty much any spot where you were expected to blindly jump into water to make a platform appear was :/ ) but yes.  The manual thing was a major stopping block forever for me too - because my copy didn't come with a manual when I was a kid (it was used) and I only learned it from a Nintendo Power one day.