Author Topic: [Post here] Underrated and Overlooked Games  (Read 17800 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
[Post here] Underrated and Overlooked Games
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:31:58 AM »
I was looking for some decent RPGs that are on the PS3 the other day. I found a good looking game called "The Witch and the Hundred Knights". It wasn't until next year though, so I kept looking for other stuff.  What I found out instead was ANOTHER Wii game that caught my eye. It was "Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon". Since I don't have a Wii, of course I wouldn't know, but looking at it, these kind of games convinces me to buy a Wii(which probably I will, or a Wii U).

The reviews were pretty low, but it was a decent game that I wouldn't mind playing.
--
Okay, on to my point. As a gamer who currently owns only the current gen PS3, a gaming rig PC, and some older consoles(likes NES, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, etc.). I always wonder if there is something I MISSED out. Games that are overlooked, and/or underrated that they were buried under a huge pile of "mainstream" games. Usually these undiscovered gems I'm looking for are Japanese developed games, rather than the "usual, and overheard" American games(except for those indie games and casual ones, usually I miss out the best ones). Probably because of a lot of ads, and stuff, that JP games doesn't do much. Which the only info you'll have is from other people(if you're lucky that they'll even tell, or if they even know about it).

So yea, can you guys post here your list or atleast a number of games that CAN be; MIGHT been; HAVE been, overlooked by some/most of us? And atleast some games that were rated/scored pretty low than they should've been credited for.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:33:42 AM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: [Post here] Underrated and Overlooked Games
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:42:07 AM »
The only thing that really comes to mind here, for me, is Eternal Eyes for the PS1. It is by no means a great game, and its pretty poor reviews are well deserved-- it is not polished at all-- in fact, the translation seems to be pretty damn bad (stuff from the instruction booklet doesn't even match up with the stuff in the game, which doesn't really follow any sort of logic sometimes). However, it's by no means an unenjoyable game, though this statement may be biased by the fact that it's been about 10 years since I've played it.

Think of it as Final Fantasy Tactics meets Pokemon/Shin Megami Tensei, where you play as a puppet master of sorts who can change and fuse puppets into better ones by using magic stones and stuff (which can also be used in battle, as well).

At the very least, it's kinda cute. I'm sure you can find it dirt cheap on Amazon or something.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:47:56 AM »
System Shock 2 never got the attention it deserved back in the late late '90s, but now it's available for cheap on GOG.com and ready to roll on modern OSes.

It's one of the granddaddy's of all FPSRPGs, along with Deus Ex, which shouldn't be too surprising as they were both headed up by Warren Spector.

Now if you want a REALLY obscure and underrated FPSRPG, check this out. Not as early as Ultima Underworld, but earlier than the other two.

Chilled Muffins

• The Politest
  • Beyond Polite
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:15:41 AM »
I'm not sure God Eater got the attention it could have. It's essentially a sort of futuristic Monster Hunter with more in terms of plot. I really did enjoy the storyline and clothing choices. The weapon choices were a bit of a so-so thing for me, seeing as the nicest looking ones were also the slowest in terms of attack speed. A slow attack speed in God Eater really does put you at a disadvantage unless you have the upgrades and damage output to back it up. Add in the fact that literally any of the enemy creatures apart from the Cocoon Maidens and Ogretails can very easily tear you to shreds, and you have a decently challenging game.

It's time to make a name for yourself, they said.
So, I did.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:26 AM »
As always with these threads, there are answers, there are correct answers, and there is Terranigma.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:52:31 AM »
Zeno Clash is first-person fisticuffs done right.

I can say this with reasonable certainty as I have yet to not find kneeing people in the face entertaining.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:36:24 AM »
The only thing that really comes to mind here, for me, is Eternal Eyes for the PS1. It is by no means a great game, and its pretty poor reviews are well deserved-- it is not polished at all-- in fact, the translation seems to be pretty damn bad (stuff from the instruction booklet doesn't even match up with the stuff in the game, which doesn't really follow any sort of logic sometimes). However, it's by no means an unenjoyable game, though this statement may be biased by the fact that it's been about 10 years since I've played it.

Eternal Eyes also has the "you can beat the game with one super powerful dude ezpz" syndrome which is disappointing :fail:

I'm not sure God Eater got the attention it could have.

God Eater got more than one game, this answers the issue that "it might not have gotten the attention it could have" >_>

I personally don't know how bad it is, but I think Daigasso Band Brothers DX (Jam with the Band in English-speaking areas) is one of those wonderful DS games that I think deserves more stateside attention. While it's decently popular in Japan (the .bdx uploader has a Love Live! OP score uploaded), I don't know of anyone stateside or any English-speakers familiar with the game. It's an excellent rhythm game in my opinion given the amazing amount of native custom song support for it - with people porting tracks and songs from anime, games, movies, and other popular media - allowing me to fully appreciate a good deal of effort involved in song composition...

For example, this video plays 幽雅に咲かせ、墨染の桜 using 3 copies of the game, with 24 instruments.
FFIV battle themes (with difficulty scales of the instruments, 1★ easiest, 10★ hardest

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:51:46 AM »
Felix the Cat for NES. Not even kidding. Fun as hell, addictive and surprisingly challenging platformer.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
Well there's this...

Geneforge, a turned-based strategy game with no music. Graphics and sounds aren't really that important, but for those who like thick plots and diverse endings etc etc, would be a great game I suppose. Turned-based like uhh FFTactics or something-

And I have nothing to say about it. It'll be better if you guys just try it out and immerse yourself in the story to see if you'll like it. Personally, one of my favourite games due to how every choice you make affects the world some way or another. Also, damn that plot is gooooood.

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
Uh... Valkyrie Profile (the original one, not the sequels)? I mean, it's probably a little more popular now than it was when it first came out, but I know very few people who've heard of it/ have played it. It was popular in Japan (which explains the sequels), but outside of that? Not really. It has a flaw here and there (hiring the VAs from 4Kids for the English dub will make things sound a little more cheesy than it should be), but it's always been fun to play for me. It's one reason why I'll be LPing it.

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot Hellsinker! That's an amazing shmup, but so few people outside of Japan have heard of it that I'm amazed when someone besides me mentions it. If you can get past the very confusing plotline (for those of you that hate mind screws), it's a good game.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:50:53 PM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
Well there's this...

All the people on this forum who I could potentially discuss Geneforge and I guess by extension Avernum with are Singaporeans.

HMMMM....

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
Gotcha Force is a pretty fun action game made by Capcom, though I don't hear people talk about it very much.  If I recall correctly, it got really mixed reviews but had a pretty good following.

It's a shame that the North American version only got an instrumental version of the theme song though.  Especially since it's so amusing. :3
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:17:02 PM by Kasu »

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
Well there's this...

Geneforge, a turned-based strategy game with no music. Graphics and sounds aren't really that important, but for those who like thick plots and diverse endings etc etc, would be a great game I suppose. Turned-based like uhh FFTactics or something-

And I have nothing to say about it. It'll be better if you guys just try it out and immerse yourself in the story to see if you'll like it. Personally, one of my favourite games due to how every choice you make affects the world some way or another. Also, damn that plot is gooooood.
Okay the whole impactable story sounds super neat but I'm hesitant to plop down 40$ for the series or something without knowing anything about the gameplay.

I suppose I'll do some more research

Also obligatory Growlanser Generations (PS2) recommendation from me.  Growlanser IV on PSP got a little bit of recognition a few months ago but I still consider the two games in Generations (2/3) superior to any of the other ones available in english.  They're strategy RPGs which eschew a fixed grid and standard 'turns' for what is more like a freeroaming variant of the Final Fantasy ATB system, complete with unique spellcasting mechanics and a solid mixture of "prespecialized characters" + "lots of customization".  2 is a short (~10 hours at most) game with lots of replayability due to multiple endings and secret content and plays a little more like FFT; 3 is longer (20-30) and is more like a traditional RPG with freeroaming and dungeons and all.  They've both got decent stories and great characters too so... yeah.  They are a little old-feeling in terms of visuals/audio (They were late-PS1 development titles so they sure won't feel like PS2) but it's not in any way that hampers gameplay, so...

Also funny that this topic started on Fragile Dreams, I highly recommend that too.  It's so good especially if you like games that make you cry
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:21:41 PM by Garlyle »

Zerviscos

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »

Think of it as Final Fantasy Tactics meets Pokemon/Shin Megami Tensei, where you play as a puppet master of sorts who can change and fuse puppets into better ones by using magic stones and stuff (which can also be used in battle, as well).

At the very least, it's kinda cute. I'm sure you can find it dirt cheap on Amazon or something.
Oh..THAT game. Ugh, you just reminded me a rather bad past.
As always with these threads, there are answers, there are correct answers, and there is Terranigma.
Oh, yes. I have played it on SNES. Alongside with Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, this were one of the best RPGs of all times.
I'm not sure God Eater got the attention it could have. It's essentially a sort of futuristic Monster Hunter with more in terms of plot. I really did enjoy the storyline and clothing choices. The weapon choices were a bit of a so-so thing for me, seeing as the nicest looking ones were also the slowest in terms of attack speed. A slow attack speed in God Eater really does put you at a disadvantage unless you have the upgrades and damage output to back it up. Add in the fact that literally any of the enemy creatures apart from the Cocoon Maidens and Ogretails can very easily tear you to shreds, and you have a decently challenging game.
God Eater? Overlooked? I never noticed it was, since a lot of people I know does know it. Probably not all, but I'm pretty sure it's pretty well known.
I personally don't know how bad it is, but I think Daigasso Band Brothers DX (Jam with the Band in English-speaking areas) is one of those wonderful DS games that I think deserves more stateside attention. While it's decently popular in Japan (the .bdx uploader has a Love Live! OP score uploaded), I don't know of anyone stateside or any English-speakers familiar with the game. It's an excellent rhythm game in my opinion given the amazing amount of native custom song support for it - with people porting tracks and songs from anime, games, movies, and other popular media - allowing me to fully appreciate a good deal of effort involved in song composition...

For example, this video plays 幽雅に咲かせ、墨染の桜 using 3 copies of the game, with 24 instruments.
FFIV battle themes (with difficulty scales of the instruments, 1★ easiest, 10★ hardest
Oh! That looks rather interesting. I like it, thanks for showing this one.
Uh... Valkyrie Profile (the original one, not the sequels)? I mean, it's probably a little more popular now than it was when it first came out, but I know very few people who've heard of it/ have played it. It was popular in Japan (which explains the sequels), but outside of that? Not really. It has a flaw here and there (hiring the VAs from 4Kids for the English dub will make things sound a little more cheesy than it should be), but it's always been fun to play for me. It's one reason why I'll be LPing it.

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot Hellsinker! That's an amazing shmup, but so few people outside of Japan have heard of it that I'm amazed when someone besides me mentions it. If you can get past the very confusing plotline (for those of you that hate mind screws), it's a good game.
Valkyrie Profile? Okay, sure it wasn't as popular in retail launch, but I know it was pretty well known atleast after a year or so it came out, and they even improved the North American version of the game. Which VProfile: Lenneth lacked.

Hellsinker...looks rather confusing. I know a Touhou(which is probably the easiest vertical danmaku shooter) player shouldn't be saying that, but meh...don't knock it 'till you try it.
Felix the Cat for NES. Not even kidding. Fun as hell, addictive and surprisingly challenging platformer.
I love platform games, especially "puzzly" ones. Sadly I rarely see any good platformers(that are usually one-shot/indie) out there...no I don't mean games like Megaman. Like Limbo, PixelJunk Eden, or others. If you have any tell 'em, k?
Well there's this...

Will do..if I get some time, and extra money to do it. Looks interesting though, reminds me of older DnD games.
Gotcha Force is a pretty fun action game made by Capcom, though I don't hear people talk about it very much.  If I recall correctly, it got really mixed reviews but had a pretty good following.

It's a shame that the North American version only got an instrumental version of the theme song though.  Especially since it's so amusing. :3
NOW THAT, that reminds me of games I used to play during childhood. Well, even though it's overlooked, I don't think I'll be able to play games like those anymore. You know "seemingly matured" taste. :V
Also obligatory Growlanser Generations (PS2) recommendation from me.  Growlanser IV on PSP got a little bit of recognition a few months ago but I still consider the two games in Generations (2/3) superior to any of the other ones available in english.  They're strategy RPGs which eschew a fixed grid and standard 'turns' for what is more like a freeroaming variant of the Final Fantasy ATB system, complete with unique spellcasting mechanics and a solid mixture of "prespecialized characters" + "lots of customization".  2 is a short (~10 hours at most) game with lots of replayability due to multiple endings and secret content and plays a little more like FFT; 3 is longer (20-30) and is more like a traditional RPG with freeroaming and dungeons and all.  They've both got decent stories and great characters too so... yeah.  They are a little old-feeling in terms of visuals/audio (They were late-PS1 development titles so they sure won't feel like PS2) but it's not in any way that hampers gameplay, so...

Also funny that this topic started on Fragile Dreams, I highly recommend that too.  It's so good especially if you like games that make you cry
Wow, you showed me a game of a genre I love so much, that I missed. The game reminds me of Vanguard Bandits and Yggdra Union.

Anyways, I'm going to post one also. One of the only games I've enjoyed on the Sega Dreamcast(alongside copycat version of Mario Party, which is Sonic Shuffle). It is the Shenmue series, one of THE VERY diamonds of the fallen Sega company. You know how Rockstar made Grand-Theft Auto III a sandbox open-world game back then in 2001? This came out BEFORE, and it was VERY ADVANCE during it's time. Too bad it was left unheard of, and only a few actually knows about it. Other than that it left a sad cliffhanger on the plot, which was mainly due to Sega's bankruptcy. Even now, after 13 years, I'm still hoping for a sequel...much like how I waited for that cursed Megaman Legends 3.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:42:02 PM by En »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 04:26:24 PM »
Oh man, we can have a field day here. (and with this one can see my games background :V)

D2 (Dreamcast). Quite a game loaded with horror, sexual content, and violence in ways games have not done since. Alas the designer Kenji Eno passed away earlier this year. (example vid)

Waku Waku 7 (NeoGeo). Sure Capcom and SNK dominated fighters at the time, but Sunsoft's entry plays at an even level, and comes complete with loads of anime stereotypes and parodies.

Plok! (SNES). A platformer where the main character attacks using detachable limbs - not too different from Dynamite Headdy on Megadrive. Alas it got released amid a deluge of 2D platformers, leading to its obscurity. The music, done by none other by Tim Follin, really pushes the capabilities of the SNES sound chip (especially since it only uses 5 of the 8 channels, leaving the other 3 for sound effects).

Battle Garegga (arcade, Saturn). A favourite in the STG scene for being one of the early bullet hell games - and being very difficult for one considering its near-invisible bullets. Soundtrack's laced with loads of Detroit techno and FM synthesis goodness.

Warzard/Red Earth (arcade). An interesting combination of 2D fighter with RPG elements. Not very popular due to arcade exclusivity, but its characters have been featured in other Capcom games.

Cyber Troopers Virtual On (arcade, Saturn, PC, PS2). Arcade-style mecha battle goodness. Loved playing it in the arcade against a few others.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:32:56 PM by はた참치 Seafood Inspection »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Chilled Muffins

• The Politest
  • Beyond Polite
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
God Eater? Overlooked? I never noticed it was, since a lot of people I know does know it. Probably not all, but I'm pretty sure it's pretty well known.

Ah, I might be looking from an 'unknown in my area' perspective.

So, I did.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »

Ah, I might be looking from an 'unknown in my area' perspective.

I guess that's how I felt about VP as. I swear there's maybe one or two other people I know who have played/heard of it.
Now I feel bad about even mentioning it if it's not the type of thing you're asking for. >.>

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:13 PM »
I love platform games, especially "puzzly" ones.
Have you heard of Adventures of Shuggy? That's an interesting platformer; there's a variety of objectives for each level, but the main game focuses on rotating the level and collecting gems. And why it's not exactly underrated or overlooked right now (it just came out), Battleblock Theater may tickle your puzzle-platformer bones (Yes, I am aware you don't have a 360, but Behemoth will most likely being BBT to PC and PS3 later on).

Back on topic, I'd recommend looking into Skies of Arcadia, it's one of the few JRPGs for the Gamecube and it's pretty good. Duel Masters for the PS2 is interesting if you like TCGs, and there's Lego Racers, a Mario-Kart style racing game where you can build and race your own cars. :3c

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »
Have you heard of Adventures of Shuggy? That's an interesting platformer; there's a variety of objectives for each level, but the main game focuses on rotating the level and collecting gems. And why it's not exactly underrated or overlooked right now (it just came out), Battleblock Theater may tickle your puzzle-platformer bones (Yes, I am aware you don't have a 360, but Behemoth will most likely being BBT to PC and PS3 later on).

And then there's my absolute favorite platformer/puzzle game: Braid. For some reason this game got very little press. But it's absolutely incredible. Just be sure that your body is ready for the saddest ending ever.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

draganuv15

Chilled Muffins

• The Politest
  • Beyond Polite
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »
Pretty sure I'm the only person I know who owns this...

My uncle used to have this, but he never let me play his games. Now I miss that PS2.

So, I did.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »

I used to have this! It was the first game I ever had for PS2, and it was excellent. I miss it. :<

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Obsidian. Full stop. Everyone GTFO and come back once you've played it. :V

no not really re: GTFO. I just really like it and like no one else knows it and it makes me sad :(

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
And then there's my absolute favorite platformer/puzzle game: Braid. For some reason this game got very little press. But it's absolutely incredible. Just be sure that your body is ready for the saddest ending ever.
Braid is one of the most well-known Indie titles out there actually.  I liked it and its ending and then I found out
Spoiler:
the whole dumb-as-shit "SHE'S A NUKE" metaphor secret ending
which the game was just way, way better without.

I own it and its sequel.  I think the OP mentioned liking the Terranigma trilogy - Dark Cloud in a way feels like a spiritual successor to Soul Blazer in a lot of really nice ways.

Anyway speaking of game recommendations, there's the three "lost" Square classics on SNES (all with fan translations which are spectacular):
Seiken Densetsu 3, aka the real sequel to Secret of Mana, is pretty similar to the original but comes with a completely customizable party (which changes events in the game based on who you select - and in what order!) with high replay value, lots of playtime, great music/graphics, class branches, and more.  It's a really neat action RPG and a lot of fun, although it's actually quite buggy in a way that you won't notice unless you really start digging into mechanics (for instance, a couple stats actually do nothing, crits don't work...)
Treasure of the Rudra (Rudra no Hihou) uses a classic Square visual engine ala FF6 and feels similar to it in a lot of ways.  You progress three separate scenarios (and a fourth final one after) which tell the tale of different heroes with different goals during the last 16 days before humanity is apparently going to be 'wiped out' to make way for a new race - though you have the freedom to progress through each tale independantly, they each occur simultaneously, so the plots are neatly interwoven.  On top of great presentation, the game's spell system is truly unique - you actually name the spell and the game creates the spell based on what you wrote - literally anything works!
Live-a-Live is the most unique of the three.  It's actually several smaller, loosely connected games that tie together in the end - each only shares the core battle mechanics.  The small scenarios are wildly different - setting (from prehistory to feudal japan to spaceships and more), atmosphere, musical style, writing, characters, even the overarching gameplay mechanics of each scenario feel unique!  Though seemingly unrelated, they actually come together over what was, for its time, one of the most amazing plot twists in gaming (and it still might be one of my favourites, though it may seem less surprising these days)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:59:17 PM by Garlyle »

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 11:32:50 PM »
Puzzles games, guys. Puzzle games.

Meteos
A falling-blocks game made by Sakurai, the man behind Smash, Kirby, and Icarus Uprising. This game is really amazing, and one of the most competitive games of its genre. I love it. Somehow, Sakurai can make it feel just like a fighting game.

Zack & Wiki

Another puzzle gem. Every level is like a brainteaser - there's an astronomical amount of pleasure in every "AAAHHH I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT I HAVE TO DOOO" moment. And those moments come often. The game has a great sense of humor, the atmosphere is great, and it's very replayable.

Ghost Trick
Do you like Ace Attorney? Of course you do! So you might as well give this a spin, because it was made by the same people. And it shows. The writing feels very similar, but the plot is much less episodic, making the story a lot deeper. Plot twists everywhere and some nice puzzles too. I only wish it was longer.

Picross DS

If you're a fan of newspaper puzzles like Sudoku, KenKen, and Crosswords, this game is a must-have. My sister and I used to be total Sudoku addicts until we found Picross. And then, Sudoku seemed but a shadow of pleasure. You can find Picross games elsewhere by other names, but I've found that Picross DS does the most justice.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »

Oh hey, Dark Cloud! I never finished the original. It was one of the first RPGs I ever played. I want to try that again some time.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 12:57:31 AM »
Dark Cloud was pretty decent. Dark Cloud 2 was better in lots of regards, including trimming off the pointless player characters.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:33 AM »
Europa 1400. Seriously, I'm surprised it never went mainstream, that shit was quality right there. It seemed to have gotten the same amount of research put into it as Wreck-it Ralph and Final Fantasy XII combined.

I mean, the lampoons. THE LAMPOONS.

Avernum

THIS

All... Singaporeans

not anymore

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Zerviscos

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »
Ah yes, I played Braid myself before. One of the best indies I played actually.
Ah, I'm surprised someone mentioned this. I got to agree, Level 5 games aren't really as famous as other companies' games out there.
Dark Cloud 2 was my favorite game of theirs since it had a whole new improvement from Dark Cloud 1, then next came Ni No Kuni....but their White Knight Chronicles wasn't really what I expected, so I just brought the sequel to finish the story, but never really gotten myself to finish it wholly.
Braid is one of the most well-known Indie titles out there actually.  I liked it and its ending and then I found out
Spoiler:
the whole dumb-as-shit "SHE'S A NUKE" metaphor secret ending
which the game was just way, way better without.
I own it and its sequel.  I think the OP mentioned liking the Terranigma trilogy - Dark Cloud in a way feels like a spiritual successor to Soul Blazer in a lot of really nice ways.

Anyway speaking of game recommendations, there's the three "lost" Square classics on SNES (all with fan translations which are spectacular):
Seiken Densetsu 3, aka the real sequel to Secret of Mana, is pretty similar to the original but comes with a completely customizable party (which changes events in the game based on who you select - and in what order!) with high replay value, lots of playtime, great music/graphics, class branches, and more.  It's a really neat action RPG and a lot of fun, although it's actually quite buggy in a way that you won't notice unless you really start digging into mechanics (for instance, a couple stats actually do nothing, crits don't work...)
Treasure of the Rudra (Rudra no Hihou) uses a classic Square visual engine ala FF6 and feels similar to it in a lot of ways.  You progress three separate scenarios (and a fourth final one after) which tell the tale of different heroes with different goals during the last 16 days before humanity is apparently going to be 'wiped out' to make way for a new race - though you have the freedom to progress through each tale independantly, they each occur simultaneously, so the plots are neatly interwoven.  On top of great presentation, the game's spell system is truly unique - you actually name the spell and the game creates the spell based on what you wrote - literally anything works!
Live-a-Live is the most unique of the three.  It's actually several smaller, loosely connected games that tie together in the end - each only shares the core battle mechanics.  The small scenarios are wildly different - setting (from prehistory to feudal japan to spaceships and more), atmosphere, musical style, writing, characters, even the overarching gameplay mechanics of each scenario feel unique!  Though seemingly unrelated, they actually come together over what was, for its time, one of the most amazing plot twists in gaming (and it still might be one of my favourites, though it may seem less surprising these days)
Speaking of Mana games. My favorite should be Legend of Mana from PS1. And yes, the Mana series is also one of the most underrated and overlooked games these days...and sadly, they're never really innovated or worked on properly in the past years.
Obsidian. Full stop. Everyone GTFO and come back once you've played it. :V

no not really re: GTFO. I just really like it and like no one else knows it and it makes me sad :(
Can you gimme a video link? I can't fine one... :X

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »
Can you gimme a video link? I can't fine one... :X

Yeah I ended up having to toss the developer into the search since it's a short, real-word title.

Short trailer
Some random dude's Let's Play with commentary via YouTube annotations (I skipped to Part 3 because the initial area is both pretty short/boring and... weirdly probably more spoilery than the stuff soon after, and he doesn't enter the first area proper until midway through Part 2.)

But, I mean, it's a Myst-style adventure game (pretty much contemporaneous with Riven), so while I adore the hell out of it, it may not be the most exciting thing in the world to watch. :V