Author Topic: Gappy's Short Tales and Tall Tales - Featuring Yumemi's Hangover (Mis)Adventure!  (Read 4139 times)

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....

So this is where I'll be putting a lot of the short stories and story snippets, mostly the latter, that just pile up on my touhou backburner and never really get anywhere.

Yumemi's Hangover Misadventure - Dude Where's My Hyperspace Probability Vessel?
Yumemi has never held a drink before in her life...until last night. And now it's today and she doesn't remember a thing. She can't hold anything down either. But that's the least of her worries. Yesterday before her first glass she was just a jobless professor. Today she may or may not have screwed over half of Gensokyo and the other half want her dead. Oh, and the hyperspace probability vessel is missing. CHIYURIIII!!!
Snippet 1

Sanae Vs The Internet - Hello World
Sanae gives this newfangled IRC thing a try.
Snippet 1

Retrospective Future Hopes in the Shadow of the Collossus - Sanae's Hisoutensoku Epilogue
In the events following Touhou Hisoutensoku Sanae discovers a new way of fighting the youkai menace, starting with little bit of understanding and her cellphone.
Story

Maniacal Justice In Bloody Red White - Kotohime's Economic/Political Action Adventure
Mostly discontinued/stalled fic featuring Kotohime in a 'Spice-And-Wolf-esque' 'Maoyuu Maou Yuusha-esque' tale where she seeks to end the strife between human and youkai in Gensokyo amidst a storm of greater powers working against her.
Chapter 2 Snippet 1
Chapter 2 Snippet 2
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:58:38 PM by Gappy »

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Yumemi has never held a drink before in her life...until last night. And now it's today and she doesn't remember a thing. She can't hold anything down either. But that's the least of her worries. Yesterday before her first glass she was just a jobless professor. Today she may or may not have screwed over half of Gensokyo and the other half want her dead. Oh, and the hyperspace probability vessel is missing. CHIYURIIII!!!

------------------------

Okazaki Yumemi woke up. She quickly regretted doing this.

"...Oh god...." It wasn't a prayer. It was more of a curse, one aimed at....what, exactly? The pain? The nausea? The world?

The world will do. Damn you, world. Stop shaking. And spinning. And going all...URGH....

Speaking of the world, where in the world....

"....URGH" The question never left her lips. Something else almost did, but she stopped herself just in time. She gasped, bending over, hand protectively cupped over her lips.

Deep breaths. It's okay. It's okay, It's....

"Ulp..."

...not okay after all...

"Uuh...W-Where are...my clothes...?" She panted, taking deep breaths, as she groped about her person. "...okay...not...on me..." This much was alright. While she doesn't normally go to sleep in the nude, she occasionally does wake up so. This is fine. Just need to find those clo-...

"Oh....oh no..." She muttered, groping something that wasn't her pillow, her blanket, and definitely not her clothes. It was fine, silky, made up of many loose strands....

....and a bleary, nervous glance told her it was blonde too....

Please, please let that be a mop. A golden blonde, beautiful silky mop. Please let it just be a mo-...okay, it's not a mop.

"I'm dead." She muttered, recognizing the face underneath the length of beautiful silky blonde hair lying next to her. It was Gensokyo's purported most powerful youkai, Yukari Yakumo, in her birthday suit, in her bed, beside her.

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Sanae's First Time

*Now talking in #GirlsAreChillin
*Topic is 'Take It Easy Mode. Girls are chilling, please chat warmly. Ban tengu on sight.'
<KiraKira> And then the boss actually starts drowning in the river behind me and starts begging for help instead.
<Melons> OWNED
<OwenWilsonsHair> And then there were none.
<Perfekmaf> and u all call me names
<Sanae> Hello everyone.
<VorpalRabbit> Oh Shiz it's the cops!
<1UpMushroom> Quick, hide the pr0n!
<KiraKira> Hello new girl.
<~Cave_Stories> Hi Sanae-chan.
<SoulScream> Hey
SSpinach hides WindGodGal
<SSpinach> The goods are hidden!
<WindGodGal> HEY!
*1UpMushroom hi5s SSpinach
<Sanae> Who is everyone?
<~Cave_Stories> I'm Keine.
Perfekmaf> what pron?
<Melons> Your face.
<SoulScream> Mischy.
<OwenWilsonsHair> You'll never take me alive!
<KiraKira> Cause you already dead foo'!
<VorpalRabbit> You can take the pr0n instead.
<4Serenity> Hihi Sanae.
<4Serenity> Wriggle~
<OwenWilsonsHair> Hey! I'm....oh yeah I am already dead. You'll never take me undead!
<Perfekmaf> ur still calin me names
<1UpMushroom> We're the voices in your head.
<VorpalRabbit> Listen to us. We has cookiez and sweets.
<Hong_Meiling> Girls, girls, give the poor girl a break.
<|~Cave_Stories > It's her first time after all.
<1UpMushroom> That's what SHE said!
<SSpinach> YOUR MOM.
<4l1c3> Marisa, what did I tell you about your mom jokes?
<Sanae> I type slow so forgive me.
<Melons> THAT'S  WHAT....I swear Marisa!
<1UpMushroom> Too L337 for you n00b.
<4l1c3> Or speaking in L337 speak?

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
The following's an old story I wrote for the weekly writing competition. The story takes place right after Sanae's campaign in Touhou Hisoutensoku with her defeated and sent flying by Suwako. The story follows her experience of the kappa water youkai expo that took place in the background during the events of hisoutensoku. This was meant as a backstory to the events of another fic I wrote, 'Maniacal Justice in Bloody Red White', an economy/politics action adventure story featuring Kotohime (as weird as 'economy politics action adventure' sounds).

Retrospective Future Hopes under the Shadow of a Colossus

Summer of Year 124 - Year of Sun, Winter, and Wood, The Eve of the 'Hisoutensoku Incident'

Where the boundless blue....meets the endless green....that is our Gensokyo....I couldn't even tell which was which, or where one ended and one began. Everything blurred into one as I spun...and spun....sky...sun....mountains....forest....more sky....random fairy...forest...sky....big colourful thing....forest...sky

I....want to...throw up....and I'm sure there's...something in the danmaku rules against using vomit as a projectile.....if it doesn't....it should....

Why should I care  about the rules anymore...I lost...I lost...I...*ULP*...I've lost it!

"ULLLRRRPPPrrppppppuughh....sorry....ugh....down below..."

BOINK

"Ouchouchouch...." There are many things one might find oneself crash-landing in in Gensokyo. The ground comes to mind first. Maybe a dense forest if one is lucky, maybe a lake if one is luckier, maybe even a hated/loved one if one is luckiest. But never would I have imagined crash-landing on a mysterious expanse of plasticky bounciness. Especially not in Gensokyo. I also never would have imagined landing in my own vomit, but let's not talk about it. Not right now.

....well, it's all kinds of difficult to ignore it, actually (Ewww).

Lady Suwako, I'm not feeding you. For a week. No telly or fresh lily pads either. I promise this time. I will follow through with my punishment, no matter what! Not even you try to sit on my head, or...or harass me, or fondle me...or...or....or ignore me! Yes, not even then!

OST:  Hevia - Busindre Reel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUA3sdyZ_Pw&feature=related

I slowly got up, very warily patting off whatever bits of my breakfast I could safely pat off my now-ruined shrinemaiden outfit. I tested the ground cautiously, fighting to keep my balance. Not only had I been hurled spinning a few hundred meters into the air by Lady Suwako, I have also lost my breakfast...(eww.) Worst of all, the ground wasn't cooperating. It was bouncy, and plasticky, and shiny, and big, and....colourful...and bouncy...and...kind of fun, actually....well, if it weren't for the big puddle of vomit....(ok, eww)....

What is this?

I very carefully staggered, bounced, slipped (ewww) and finally crawled my way across the mysterious expanse of 'ground' until....I saw the ground again...this time a good few hundred meters below me.

Aha. This thing I'm standing on is a balloon. A pretty big balloon.

What's a balloon doing in Gensokyo?

A colourful swarm of smaller balloons passed me on their way up into the clear blue sky. I caught one and found what looked like a rather cheerful cartoon kappa winking at me (the cheek!). A helpful speechbubble underneath it said, "未来水妖バザー" it said, ' mirai suiyou baz?', the 'Aquatic Youkai Future Expo' with liberal application of exclamation marks. So liberal in fact that it read 'Future Expo!!!!11!!1!!1!!!'. Someone, probably a kappa, was really excited, evidently.

I looked down below and found the ground alive with colour and life. Fairies, youkai and humans swarmed the ground and air. A ship floated through the air below, spewing confetti, trailing a massive banner advertising 'Captain Murasa's Gensokyo Air Service - Serving trade routes to Makai starting next month!'. Fairies flew past, trailing colourful smoke trails. Wait a moment, that's an airship? An actual airship? Like one of those world-travelling RPG plot device airships? And there's a route to Makai?

Further down below, on the ground, was a forest of tents, big and small, of every colour and shape. Thronging them were every manner of living and undead in Gensokyo. A small trail of smoke rose up from what looked like....was that a steam locomotive? What's a steam locomotive doing in Gensokyo?

As I tried to take all of this in, someone else down below was threatening to take me in in a different way.

"Excuse me, are you alright?" I heard her ask in the same tone someone would say 'hey, pal'. It was a young human girl sitting side-saddle atop...is that a missile? With a smiley face? She bore a massive shiny wooden plaque that helpfully read 'Expo Security' (maybe in case she forgot what she was?).

"I-...." It took me a moment to try and decide whether or not I was. But I decided that saying 'yes' would probably be less hassle in the long run. "Y-yes, I'm fine, thanks. I'm sorry, but is this your balloon?"

"No, this is the Expo advertisement balloon. If you could please remove yourself from it....and....err....refrain from defiling it any further?" The girl said, with the face of someone who doesn't relish the thought of the next obvious task after removing me.

"Sure....sorry, I was....I was just looking for the entrance." I made up an excuse lamely.

"Right this way then, someone wishes to see you." The girl said, gesturing for me to follow. "I assume you can fly?" She was almost pleading. She obviously didn't relish the thought of having to carry me down either.

"Yes, I can." I was tempted for a moment to say 'no' just to see what would happen....but I decided to be nice and spare her the mental and physical anguish.

I followed her down to the ground. While escaping was probably quite easy, I didn't think I was in that much trouble. I would be under stricter security if I was to begin with (a little more than a single human girl riding a missile, at least). Besides, this fair's taking place on my...er...our turf.

I landed next to a big, white tent with a massive sign that read 'Expo Security'. A large number of fairy maids were flying in and out bearing the same 'Expo Security' plaque as the human girl. I saw a pair bear what looked like an utterly smashed man on a stretcher, who was singing the beer anthem in reverse. That was definitely a breach in the law. I paused for a moment as I realized the fairy maids were in fact maids from that lake mansion. Why are they running security?

"124 Years ago, Gensokyo came into existence." A person on a massive, majestic stage next to the security tent announced. "11 Years ago, a daring plan to create a unified Gensokyo was conceived. Today, my friends, brothers, sisters, I see a unified Gensokyo! A Gensokyo unified in purpose. A Gensokyo united by productivity, trade, the promise of food on the table tonight, tomorrow, and forevermore. A Gensokyo with a future." She declared, pausing between each statement for applauses and cheers. Then familiarity struck. She was that Myouren Temple monk. What is she doing here? Gathering faith behind our backs? In our territory? "I am happy to announce, friends, brothers, sisters, that despite the summer weather incident destroying last year's harvest, the human-youkai village of Meiji's first harvest will take place this autumn, and it promises to be abundant. Our brave and enterprising pioneers at Meiji village have worked hard with the new crop rotation and terrace farming techniques we've all developed together, and that hard work has paid off. We at the Myouren Temple are pleased, most pleased, to have the honour of storing Gensokyo's first ever food surplus this winter." This was met with cheers and claps from humans and youkai alike.

"Friends, brothers, sisters, this year will be a great year, for this will be a year of trade, a year of sharing. Meiji village has also become the first stepping stone in securing a new road, Ibuki Suika and Hinanai Tenshi's Road of Blossoms and Serenity, between the human village and the youkai mountain. The Human Village of Yamagawa, The Scarlet Devil Mansion, Meiji Village itself, and the Tengu Patrol will all work together in securing the road, night and day, making it safe for Gensokyo's first ever trade routes serving the human villages, the youkai village, the Tengu city and the Kappa Civic." More cheers, more claps.

"And early next year, Rika-san's Ancient City Express will depart on its maiden voyage delivering the first cargo load of trade to the Ancient Capital of Old Hell. Furthermore, we are proud to announce that our very own Captain Minamitsu Murasa will be captaining the first regular airship service to Makai, serving an all new trade route that will support the continuing recovery efforts in Makai." Even louder cheers.

"Today, at this Future Expo, it is our great pleasure to bring to you a glimpse of the future, of Gensokyo's bright, peaceful future! A future built by everyone, humans and youkai alike, for the  sake of everyone, humans and youkai alike! Brothers, sisters, join me in ushering in Gensokyo's future!" She threw up both hands, to a thunderous applause. Fairies and youkai took flight in synchrony, leaving coloured trails in the air. Something burst open in the balloons up above, spewing confetti and ribbons down towards the cheering crowd. Fireworks went up and burst into a multitude of colourful blossoming clouds.

OST: Like the Wind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvasQwj1VTg

I looked around and found my human security person cheering and clapping excitedly as well, obviously forgotten her task. Who am I to interrupt her excitement?

I was just about to turn to sneak away  when I walked into someone who was in fact paying attention.

"Ah, are you alright?" She asked, sweetly. I did a double-take. How did you appear behind me when you were just in front...but...no, you're still in front...but you're also behind....

"You are....?" I blurted out in my confusion, realizing a little late that it was a rather rude thing to ask without introducing myself.

"I'm a member of Her Imperial Majesty Princess Kotohime's Royal Guard. I'm in charge of security here today." She said, with a professional smile and a bow. The jutte she carried in her sash should have been a massive clue, not to mention the royal guard crest she wore proudly about her forearm.

"I-I'm sorry..." I stuttered, "I should have introduced myself first. I am Kochiya Sanae, shrinemaiden of the Moriya Temple." I bowed, both in introduction and apology.

"And this is my younger sister." She placed a hand on the shoulder of the human girl who had guided me down before. Such an uncanny resemblance, with their long-flowing lilac hair, dark crimson eyes and the matching red and white samurai getup. "Meira....you met her up above, yes?"

The girl, Meira, almost leapt out of her skin. "I-...Oh....A-Aneue-sama*, S-Sorry...I- I was...."

*Aneue-sama - Honoured Elder Sister

"That's fine, as long as you're aware." The elder sister nodded kindly. "Princess Kotohime relies on us today. Let us do our best."

"H-hai, A-Aneue-sama!" Meira bowed deeply in reply, so quickly her samurai top-knot threatened to whip us both.

"Now, Kochiya-san, is it?" She turned to me.

"I'm sorry for crashing into the balloon!" I bowed deeply in apology.

This was met with a kindly chuckle. "That's quite fine. No harm done." She chuckled good-naturedly. "I doubt anyone will notice, though we should send some fairies up to get it cleaned up before the wind picks up, lest someone come to find your lunch on their heads." She said with a smile.

"My...umm...breakfast, actually...." I said, hesitantly.

"Ah, then you really must have lunch then. Shall we do that while we get your clothes cleaned for you?" She offered.

"Err....sorry?" I was really unsure at this point. Am I or am I not in trouble for something? Or is this what passes for punishment in Gensokyo?

"You are surely not attending the expo dressed in your breakfast. While we do not have a dress code perse, I'm sure society would generally plead to be spared that." She chuckled some more.

"I'm....attending?" That's news to me.

"Yes, we have been expecting you for a while now. You are the Moriya shrine maiden after all." The girl turned around and gestured for me to follow her. "Right this way. Let us see if there's anything your size."

I'm....I'm not fat!

"That was not what I was insinuating, Kochiya-san." She giggled, "The thing is, all our security uniforms were made for fairies."

Oh, I can see the problem there. I don't have wings, to start. But between going around stinking of natto* (double eww) or dressing like a fairy...it was a no-brainer.

*Natto: n. traditional Japanese fermented beans, often a breakfast item, most often eaten with raw eggs. Quite smelly, and is notorious for producing gas. Very bad gas.

A few moments later saw me walking out of the security tent wearing a short maid uniform. A very short maid uniform. I think it was an offence to not only common decency, it was an insult to common sense.

I looked around longingly at my shrine maiden uniform spinning around in one of the kappa washing machines, a very recent breakthrough in Gensokyo technology. The kappa in front of the stall featuring the washing machine was excitedly expounding on how well the machine was soaking my skirt, arm-sleeves, and....wait...you're not talking about my....no, no, you can't talk about my....nooooooo!

I burned in a hell of shame, giving off thick steam, as I watched the kappa pick out my unmentionables from the machine and show off to the amazed crowd how perfectly white and stain-free they had become ("Look how happy the froggy on it looks now!" She said. Froggy's always been happy, okay!). They weren't stained to begin with! What do you think I am?!

"You get your clothes cleaned and she gets some free advertising. Two birds with one stone." My royal guard minder smiled, seemingly amused at my plight.

I could only sniffle. Helplessly. I've been ruined for marriage, and it was to sell a washing machine.

"Is something the matter, Keikan-san*?"

*Keikan: Police officer

"Oh, no, nothing serious, Hijiri-sama, Kamishirasawa-sama." The royal guard person greeted the two new arrivals, the Myouren temple monk, Byakuren Hijiri, and the witch physician, Fuwafuwa Ellen.

I hadn't seen much of the Myouren monk since that incident in Hokai (I hear the people of Makai are still trying to clean up after our little meeting), but I heard she's been actively gathering faith in Yamagawa village. As for the witch, I've only seen glimpses of her on my rounds around the human villages. People go to her for medical help if they can't make the journey through the bamboo forest (Or, apparently, if their problem is too embarrassing. Ellen-sensei is known to be good about the whole confidentiality thing. Not that I've ever had need of her services, no.). They also go to her for actual magical services, things like personal spellcards (personal attack spellcards, rape alarm spellcards, that sort of thing). Apparently she keeps a magic store in an old western fortress mansion in the Dragon hills beyond the Little Princess Forest to the south of the lake. How anybody knows where it is is a mystery, as it was a location so far off the map that even the mailmen post the mail there.

"We received reports of someone actually breaking into the underground Geyser centre. Apparently she thought that advertisement balloon was some sort of giant hiding inside the mountain." My minder reported.

Oh no. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be...well....so stupid. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It seemed like such a great idea back then. Whatever happens, please don't blush, me!

"Oh dear, I hope nothing serious happens." The Myouren monk said.

"A wolf tengu squad led by Momiji-san has gone to inspect the geyser centre. And the reactor is offline today with all the kappa and the security here at the expo." The police person replied. "We also had someone crash into our advertisement balloon."

"I told the kappa we have enough air traffic hazards as it is with all the alcohol, but they wouldn't listen. We have to deal with the drunk-flying." Ellen-sensei sighed.

I...err...wasn't drunk...unless you considering being drunk on your own vomit being actually drunk....

"Well, shall we have lunch, then? Care to join us, Hijiri-san? Ellen-sensei?" My minder offered. The monk and witch were quick to say yes.

My immediate reflex was to reach for my cellphone to tell Kanako-sama and Suwako-sama, but all I managed to accomplish was checking the time.

"Oh, isn't that one of those outside-world devices?" Ellen-sensei asked, curious. "What a nice, fluffy pink~ I see outside-worlders have developed an appreciation for fluffiness~"

"It's useless though, here in Gensokyo." I sighed, half to myself.

"And yet you carry it around." The Myouren monk pointed out.

"It's....habit." I found myself replying lamely, at a loss for sense or reason, "I just find it reassuring to have in my pocket."

"Ah, so it is useful." The Myouren monk smiled, "It reassures you. And you can't same the same of most things, especially in Gensokyo. I myself find my cute little Shou's tail reassuring~"

I don't know if we can compare my cellphone to a tiger youkai's tail. For one thing, my cellphone won't snap my fingers off if I pull on my cellphone strap.

Before I knew it (I couldn't say no, could I?) I was whisked off through the fairgrounds. We passed many, many stalls and tents along the way, each a small hive of activity. We dodged visitors, entertainers and street peddlers as we wove a trail through the crowd. It was almost as packed as the conventions back in the outside world. And just like those conventions, sense and sanity were at a premium too.

"Come visit the Lunarian temporary exhibition, right here in this Expo! Come see the lunar rocks, lunar dust, and the all-popular lunar rabbit!"

"Lamprey eels! With real lamprey!"

"Yakitori! With real birds!"

"Hey!"

"Come test out the Nightbug insect messaging service! We do wake-up calls with your choice of creepy-crawlies or fluttering-fluffies! Now insecticide-proof! Free for the first week...!"

"Come try out the latest dream medicine! Guaranteed clinical safety as assessed by the Eientei Drug Administration! We guarantee you will definitely wake up.......refreshed!"

"Sign up for your choice of Cat Cart Corpse Carrier Service plan today, folks! Our new instalment plan guarantees effective removal at affordable costs!"

As we squeezed our way past the throngs of people, I got to chat with the Myouren monk and the witch more.  "And that is the new steam engine." The Myouren monk pointed out a massive contraption of bulbous metal tanks and pipes on wheels, only barely resembling a steam locomotive, to me. "Rika had designed it years ago, but only now have we all realized a reason to build it."

"And that is...?" I asked, trying my best to peer over the crowd gathered around the tent housing the locomotive, all listening to a very excited girl speak proudly of the new applications for the locomotive.

"A new trade route into the Ancient Capital." Ellen filled in. "That means we'll be able to get plenty of oni sake up here~" She pointed out another stand where people sporting fake oni horns were peddling samples.

"Ancient City Sake, from the Ancient City! Get your authentic oni sake right here!"

"We'll also be able to get things like these delicious Toringo crabapples that only grow deep in the youkai mountain." The Myouren monk said, passing me a bag of crabapples as she took a bite from her own.

"Mini-hakkeros, affordable and safe! Bring home your very own portable heater, cooker and laser canon today! Comes with a free mini-ICBM for the first 10 purchases!" I listened to the peddlers as I chewed on my crabapples thoughtfully. Trade....huh? I've...never really seen youkai as anything more than creatures to exterminate. Suddenly, the prospect of trading with them....it was quite overwhelming....

"Clean, safe, nuclear energy for your homes! Don't use just any electricity to power your kettle and kotatsu! Accept nothing but nuclear electricity!"

We came to a halt at what looked a solid wall of people, queuing, snaking all the way to the entrance to the expo. As we looked around for a way through, I heard a familiar voice.

"You're going to sign up to live in Meiji village?" It was the clever little mouse commander I shot down a while back.

"Yes. I've run out of space for my books at Kourin's and I can't live at your place at the Myouren temple forever." An unfamiliar youkai, a crested ibis from the look of her hair and wings, replied.

"But this queue's massive! It'll take all day!" The mouse youkai complained.

"It sure looks like a lot of people are interested in living in Meiji village." Ellen-sensei said.

"These are exciting times for us." The Myouren monk nodded. "It will be our first social experiment with humans and youkai living together side by side."

OST: Kanade - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DopmtkDkHwY&feature=related

"Wait, that's a recipe for disaster!" I blurted out, almost choking on my crab apples, before I could stop myself.

"Why do you think so?" The Myouren monk asked, with a polite smile.

"Because...." I hesitated. It was obvious, wasn't it? Youkai eat humans. It's always been that way. It'd be like a one-stop all-you-can-eat buffet right outside your own house.

"I'm a youkai, Kochiya-san~" Ellen said with a giggle, "A fluffy one no less~ And you look oh so delicious in that really short maid outfit~ What's stopping me from gobbling you all up~<3?"

"W-wait, p--please d-don't look at me like that!" I squeaked, shielding what little modesty I had left. "Y-you....you don't eat humans, Ellen-sensei!"

"Why though?" Ellen said with a teasing smile, "I could hardly hold myself back~<3"

"That's because...." I began....I thought it was clear in my head. Youkai have always eaten humans. But....why don't all of them do? In fact....I haven't heard of that many such incidents lately. "I....I don't know...."

"I suppose it's mainly because I have nicer things to eat~" She giggled. "Hard as it may seem, considering we're talking about Kochiya-san~" She winked at me playfully.

No, it's okay, I think I don't mind losing out to other foodstuff in terms of deliciousness.

"Hime-chan, you mean?" The Myouren monk teased.

"Oh, no, no, of course not, you silly~" Ellen laughed, "No, no, I mean, I make a good living off being the local witch and physician. I earn enough to feed myself, Socrates and Hime-chan. Isn't that so, Socrates?" She petted the kitten resting on her shoulder, who purred sensuously in reply. "The other reason being that eating your customers, potential or otherwise, is rather bad for business."

"Regular, stable and safe meals are definitely more desirable than irregular, sparse and risky ones, especially when the risk involves running into youkai exterminators....such as yourself." The Myouren monk nodded at me with a smile.

"Besides, I think a nice, warm bowl of miso soup warms the heart more than a mound of rotting human flesh." Ellen-sensei said.

It seemed unreal now when they put it that way. Still....youkai really do still eat humans. "It still happens." I pointed out. "Why?"

"How much food do you think we have?" Ellen-sensei asked.

I realized too late that my knowledge of Gensokyo's logistics were quite lacking. "...Enough?" I guessed, lamely.

"Barely enough for the human villages." Ellen nodded.

"The demand far outstrips supply and any attempt to make any trade of it would result in prices too high for any human to afford. Thus the market is controlled artificially via rationing." The monk explained. "Now, if there is barely enough for humans, would they sell to youkai?"

"No." I bit my lip at this obvious yet rather...well....painful realization.

"No. Besides, you wouldn't trade or share food with people who might have you as the side dish, right?" Ellen pointed out.

"Besides, what would youkai pay with? There isn't a unified currency, and most youkai outside the tengu city and kappa civic can't really find paying jobs." Ellen said.

"So that's why they eat humans or steal food from humans?" I asked, mostly to myself.

"Indeed." The Myouren monk nodded. "And that sows anger, hatred, distrust, leading to youkai exterminations. That in turn leads to more anger, hatred and distrust, leading to more killings. And so the cycle continues."

No, I....I've always fought for the sake of humanity....right? I wasn't only killing youkai for the sake of exterminating them. I....I....this is unfair. You can't say this.

"But...we....we had to." I gritted my teeth, "We had to." Was all I could say.

"Yes. The youkai had to too." The Myouren monk nodded.

"You're saying you've fixed everything?!" I suddenly burst out, hotly. "All this will stop it all?" I felt tears welling up. This was unfair. Most unfair.

"No, we haven't. But we hope we've at least begun to." The Myouren monk said. "Meiji village will be testing out many new farming techniques which will increase our food production manifold. We will have many new granaries, including the Myouren Temple, to store all the surplus we produce. And with the surplus in hand, we can begin to trade, providing food for the youkai. In return, they will provide wares, services, security, a lot of things that will benefit humanity. This way, everyone can progress together."

"We're not saying that we'll stop having feral youkai who go about hunting humans, those who don't respect the danmaku rules." Ellen-sensei said. "But at least this way the more civilized youkai have a choice. So will humans."

Choice...? So...if they had a choice....maybe they didn't have to die by my hands....maybe I didn't have to kill them...they might have lived differently...like any other human being....working hard...selling wares...eating good food...raising children....living happy lives....

....did I ever stop to think?....did I ever stop to give them that chance? But....but if I didn't kill them....more people would have died....humans...but....but....

"Youkai must fight. Only that way can Youkai exist. If they ceased, so would they, and so would Gensokyo." I remember Reimu-san saying. Thus Reimu-san's danmaku rules. But then...you can't simply solve this with trade, right? Will danmaku ever be a perfect substitute for all the killing and destruction?

"The person who came up with all this once said, 'Stories no longer end with the final boss, and we live in a library of stories.' She saw the world as one big incident and sought to solve it. All of it. This is what she came up with." Ellen-sensei said.

Such a person exists? A person who could put so much faith into both humanity and youkai alike? A fight beyond danmaku battles and boss fights....A fight that looked beyond the enemy and saw an entire world of circumstances, conditions, reasons....a fight against everything that was wrong with the world....

My train of thought was interrupted by the crowd parting before us. "Make way for Her Imperial Majesty Princess Kotohime!" A herald cried as a procession of courtesans and courtiers passed before a number of heavily-built men bearing a large, ornately decorated golden palanquin that bore the Kotohime Imperial Crest.

"That's Princess Kotohime from the human capital of Kotokyo. She's here to discuss the terms of the new unified Gensokyo code of law with the leaders of all the other Gensokyo settlements. The laws will cover many things including trade and the new unified currency, but the main issue will be a new law outlawing the murder of any sentient being within Gensokyo." The monk said.

Then....what will I do? Killing youkai and gathering faith is all I know how to do in Gensokyo.

"Of course, this means you'll be even busier, Kochiya-san." Ellen-sensei must have noticed the look on my face for she immediately patted me reassuringly on the shoulder.

"Huh....how?" I looked up.

OST: Initial Impulse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwAnIrUIbew&feature=related

"The laws will make arrangements for a number of appointed Sheriffs to protect the innocent and punish the guilty. They are hoping you, Hakurei-san and Kirisame-san would be willing." the monk said. "I made the recommendation, actually."

"Wait....You mean I'll get to be a sheriff? Like in those space anime?" I gasped. Yes, it doesn't take much to brighten up, I'm embarrassed to admit. The very mention of 'Sheriffs' is enough to make me as giddy as a schoolgirl. Wait, I still am a schoolgirl.

"H-hey!" I gasped, as something fast pushed past my shoulder roughly, almost knocking me over. I barely glimpsed a rather unkempt black pair of wings disappear into the crowd. My well-hone outside-world reflexes kicked in. I patted my pockets (what few this maid uniform had) and found myself sans one cellphone. Yes, I have been pick-pocketed. "P-Pickpocket!" I called out in panic.

But no sooner had I cried out when the crowd before me suddenly parted in a wide circle. There on the ground lay my pickpocket, a young youkai girl dressed in shabby rags, her long, russet hair a tussled mess on the trodden grass.

"Oh, we do apostatize." A young redhead dressed in a blood-red kimono said as she turned from her rubbish cart. "It's difficult to narrate a refuse cart amidst this crowd."

Someone give this redhead a dictionary. But it seems she had at least tripped over my pickpocket.

"Hime-chan, she's a pickpocket." Ellen said to the redhead. I was quicker.  It was reflex, pure and simple. A youkai had wronged me. That youkai will meet my gohei. I had bore down upon the downed youkai, gohei in hand, strict vengeance in mind.

"Oh, she is, is she?" The redhead, apparently named 'Hime-chan', asked, raising an eyebrow. "Well, lick-choc'lit-chan, you've just pick-pocketed the most violacious youkai excreternator in Gensokyo. Do you know what that means?" She bent down to talk to the youkai.

I heard a sob from the young youkai girl. She was trembling. As I set the gohei on her, she hiccupped, crying. 

She was crying. She was scared.

Like a girl. A human girl.

I paused, holding my gohei still.

Reason, common sense...I am not beyond them.

Why did she try to steal my phone?

...Because from the looks of her it was probably everything between her and her next meal.....

Why is she so shabby and dirty? Why is she dressed in rags?

....Because she has nothing....

She's a youkai, a tengu no less. Don't they take care of their own?

....Obviously not....What did it take to be accepted in Tengu society? Any society? It was the same, no matter where, the poor are shunned by society....

Why is she like this?

....Choice....those who have a choice....wouldn't want to live that way...wouldn't want to eat humans or steal from them....

Did she not have parents to take care of her and provide for her? No self-respecting parent would allow their child to be so unkempt.

...Maybe she didn't have any. Maybe they were exterminated. Exterminated while fighting to provide for her.....

Who am I to judge her? To deal death upon her? Who is the enemy I must vanquish? Not the girl before me....it was circumstance....conditions...the world...

"Is this not one of those outside-world spellphones? They're good for taking pictures, are they not?" The redhead Hime-chan's words broke my train of thought. She threw the phone back into my hands. "Good phone you have there, maid-san. Better not lose it again. Goodbye, nameless Tengu-chan. Say hello to the yama for me." And with that, she turned to leave, rubbish cart in tow.

Pictures?

Isn't that what Tengu do? No, they have an entire caste of society dedicated to journalism and photography. If you can take pictures, you can earn, you can make something of yourself, you can fit in, you can become part of society.

OST: My Most Precious Treasure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxXlP_xuN8M

If you can take pictures....

If you have something as simple as a camera....as simple as a cellphone....

She probably didn't realize the value of this object to her. Not just as a potential fish, but as a fishing pole.

I knelt by her shivering form and...for the first time in my life...I whispered words of comfort to a youkai, "It's alright, I won't hurt you. Please, let me look at you." I raised her face and saw the most beautiful pair of dark, golden eyes peer back at me in absolute terror from under the mess of soft, velvety russet hair. They were flooded with tears that now stained her grimy yet pretty, shapely face. I gently wiped her tears away with my sleeves and pulled her up onto her knees. "Do you want this?" I asked her, holding the cellphone up to her.

She shook her head, her eyes wide with panic and fear.

"I'm giving this to you." I said, pressing it into her trembling palms and clasping them close around it. "It's yours now."

She shook her head even more violently in absolute terror. "P-please...." She pleaded, her voice, soft, yet melodious, despite shivering with fear. "P-please....I-I'm s-sorry....I...I'm r-really sorry..."

"This device can take pictures." I explained, "You can get a job taking pictures for one of the Tengu newspapers, can't you? With this you can earn for yourself, can't you?"

It was a wonder, watching her expression. Shock, surprise, took over fear and terror....and then hope bloomed, with it, choice. Perhaps for the first time in her life she had a choice. Happiness welled up, and with it, tears. Tears of joy, relief, streamed down her face.

"T-T-Thank you, miss...." She sobbed, bubbling with happiness. "T-Thank you..."

"What's your name?" I asked her.

"I....I d-don't...." She looked down, "I'm....s-sorry miss, I...I d-don't have a name....I...never k-knew m-m-my p-parents...."

Why must she apologize? For not having a name? For not having parents? For not having a choice?

"That won't do. You need a name to get a job." I smiled softly at her, "....I'm a shrine maiden of the Moriya shrine. Bestowing names is one of my jobs. Shall I....give you one?"

She looked up at me, surprised, but seemingly eager. She nodded her head, her expression rapt with anticipation and attention.

I gave this long, careful thought, calling upon my experience as a shrine maiden, but also drawing upon the revelation the young girl has bestowed upon me.

I decided.

"'Hatate*', so you may stand tall, no matter how many times you fall." I said, helping her up onto her shaky feet. Her stomach growled at me at that point. I giggled as she blushed a deep red. I reached into my bag and brought out a clump of crab apples.  "And 'Himekaidou*', so that your life may be fruitful and happy." I said, pressing the crab apples into her palms. "That plenty be your lot in life, that fulfilment be your destiny."

*Hatate = Standing

*Himekaidou = A species of Japanese crab apples. It can also mean 'Berry Princess'.

"Ha...Hatate....Hime...kaidou...." She repeated after me, in a soft, teeny whisper of awe. "...Hatate....Hatate...." She suddenly choked in her excitement, hiccuping softly, "Ha...Hatate...I'm Hatate....I'm Himekaidou Hatate...." She suddenly broke into a fresh wave of tears, bawling with happiness, as she buried her face in my chest.

I wrapped my arms around her and held her trembling form close. Her soft, heaving body was so small, so fragile, yet warm and full of life, full of potential, full of a bright new future. I don't know if anybody else has ever been there for her, but today I will be. I will fight my final boss. I will win the day. I will be there for her today.

And, little did I know, for many, many more to come....

Applause broke out all around us. The crowd was clapping. Some were crying. All were cheering.

A little way off I spotted that Myouren monk and Ellen-sensei standing next to....that redhead rubbish cart puller Hime-chan? They smiled back, nodding with approval.

The day was won. Today, we won another victory. The story didn't end with a final boss, not some giant mecha, not some evil youkai or scheming demon....but with evil itself. Today a soul was saved from the service of evil. Today a future was born.

Hatate-chan went on to work for one of the Tengu newspapers. She had it hard, getting in, starting out, but she worked even harder. She stood tall, and soon became editor of her own small newspaper, the Kakashi Spirit News. 3 years after she became central to a great revolution that engulfed the entirety of Gensokyo.....but that's another story altogether. In short, however, her life was happy and fruitful.

Since then she has always claimed that I saved her. Perhaps I did. Perhaps the biggest miracle I ever accomplished in my life was no miracle at all. But therein was the miracle itself. She, in fact, saved me. She was the first real choice I ever made, and was the first of many more. She gave me a future, a future of choices.

Today, Gensokyo celebrated the future. A happier, more peaceful future. A future of choices. A future for everyone.

To be continued, 3 years into the future, in Maniacal Justice in Bloody Red White

ED Words - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLUpP9UIlmI&feature=related

ED song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMfu0WY_kNg

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Maniacal Justice In Bloody Red White Chapter 2 Snippet 1

Summer, 3 years ago....

Year 124, the year of the Sun, Winter and Wood

Flying in Gensokyo is always a hazardous mode of transport, even in the fairest of weather. One must carefully navigate not only the deceptively beautiful yet perilously deadly geography*, but also the swarms of killer fairies. Whatever  patch of air was not occupied by the winged perils was occupied by what could only qualify as fairy waste. Deadly fairy waste, locally known as 'danmaku'. Waste that explode in your face, inducing spontaneous combustion and, at best, leave you with a permanent dent in your ego, or, at worst, leave you as a permanent dent in Gensokyo's geography.

*We have deadly poison valleys, deadly magic forests, and deadly sunflower fields. No, don't ask about the sunflower fields. Nobody asks about the sunflower fields.

Air Traffic Control in Gensokyo is accomplished through sheer lethal show of force. If you're not getting home for tea, you're not brutally massacring enough air traffic. Even when one has managed to dodge all that, one must still take care to dodge the biggest hazard to flying - the ground.

Many fall to fairies, the ground, or both. Not many, if any, ever admit it. But at that moment I desired nothing more than to be facing fairies instead, a desire that doesn't come naturally to me. But even fairies were better than this.

My frenzied morning flight through the Forest of Magic had ended in a me-shaped hole in a dried-up riverbed. Thankfully very little water was filtering into the hole. The summer had seen to it that the mighty river was reduced to a mere trickling stream. I peered out of the hole cautiously, taking my first breath of air in what felt like ages. Is it gone? Is that missile gone?

Yes, a missile. I kid you not. I owe said frenzied flight and my subsequent crash landing to a missile. A missile with a smily face named 'Mimi-chan' no less. She, if you could call that boy-toy-reject a 'she', thought flying at people made a fun game. Seriously, BlackWhite witch, if you're going to keep a missile as a pet, you should have the decency of collaring it and keeping it on a leash. A short one. And a muzzle. A big one. Or you know what? Don't keep a missile as a pet. That's just mad. Mad mad mad.

I breathed a sigh of relief. No sign of her. But a more immediate threat had appeared. I was now locked in a staring contest with a giant toad.

THE giant toad.

It didn't help that while nature was calling me to my death, it was also calling me for something else, a little more urgently too. Why oh why didn't I use the restroom at the Library after my night shift? Oh right, one of the fairies managed to clog up the library restroom. It was one thing to drop a book of practical jokes into the toilet*, it was another thing entirely to dive in after it and get jammed somewhere around the U-bend. I swear to whatever gods are still managing to keep a straight face that if I survive this morning, I will personally track her down and share my feelings with her. Physically if need be.

* A book titled 'Astounding Invocations with Applications in Advanced Flatulence-involving Practical Waste-Disposal Demonology - New Toilet Seat Practical Jokes for the Whole Family!'

I got up, slowly, not making any sudden moves. But I stood my ground. Come toad or missile, I will find some Ireisen flowers today.

I gulped. Need a weapon, any weapon. I looked around for a weapon. If nothing sharp then something blunt....I ducked, picked up the first thing I saw and raised it up in defense.

It was...a UFO in my hand? It began to shine quite brilliantly, alternating colours between green, red and blue, shimmering vibrantly, lighting up the cool shadows of the forest. How convenient, some sort of really devastating finisher attack must be charging! If I can just charge some death laser of some so-....

Next moment, it was no longer in my hands. The giant toad had snapped its tongue out like a whip, plucked the UFO neatly out of my hand, and ate it.

It took my UFO and ate it.

....well, that's inconvenient.

I looked around for a new weapon. Come on, give me something that shouts 'BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA'! Come now, gods, give me a sign!

And the gods answered my plea. I found a convenient length of wood stuck in the nearby undergrowth. I hefted the new blunt instrument in my hands and raised it defiantly at the giant toad. Only then did I get a proper look at it.

....it WAS a sign.

And it read 'Don't feed the Toads'. Underneath that it specified, 'Especially Ice Fairies, Lasers, Myons or UFOs.'. How very specific a restricted diet. What a thoughtful toad dietician.

Wait...did it say 'UFO'...?

Err....oops? Well...it was only one UFO, it can't do that much harm, can it....?

The giant toad had begun to glow red, green and blue, flickering in that order, like a rather bloated and misshapen disco ball. It began to swell and distort even further right before my eyes, its eyes bulging, its expansive chin bulging even further.

Oh....well, it swallowed my laser too, so....that can't be good....

I sacrificed the sign and ran.

A few moments later saw me bursting out of the thick forest with a massive laser-breathing dragon at my heels. Right, so THAT'S why you don't feed them UFOs*!

*Note to self: You especially should not feed them UFOs that are actually seeds of the unknown. Especially when you are dragon-phobic. 

I must have left the contents of my bladder somewhere behind with that sign as now the only urgency I was experiencing was the urgency of life. Fairies were definitely better than this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:50:41 PM by Gappy »

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Maniacal Justice in Bloody Red White Chapter 2 Snippet 2

I hurried along, doing my best to ignore the strange girl. I ducked under the stall's cool awnings and bamboo blinds, glad for shelter from the fierce summer sun burning in the immaculately clear blue sky above.

"Hark, mortal man~ Heed, feral youkai~ A song, a tale, of times of yore, of the age of dragons long before~" A slow, sweet melody washed over me, almost drowning me down in a soft, lulling ebb. "Oh, Welcome. How did the Ireisen hunting go?" Mystia paused amidst her singing to ask in greeting with her usual warm, welcoming smile. Just in time to bring me back to reality too.

It had only been 3 years since she opened the stand but it feels as if she's always worn that plain yet warmly fetching brown yukata. To gaze upon her in the 'Okami*' outfit was to mentally order a warm bowl of thick, sweet milk to drown yourself in. We jokingly refer to it as the 'OkaMisty' look, to which she would always blush, look away, and tell us off.

*Okami = n. Literally 'Manager Lady'. Interestingly homonymous with 'Oh God', something you really would utter in prayer if you were ever to anger the 'Okami'.

"No luck." I sighed, taking my usual seat in a corner of the stall by Misty's old fashioned brass till.

"Hmm...I haven't seen any during any of my fishing trips either. I'll be sure to keep an eye open though." She said as she put my usual breakfast on. "The usual?"

"Yes, and....thanks, Misty." I said, gratefully, as the smell of crabapple-sauce lamprey filled the stall. Misty was nice to me. But then again, she was nice to everyone. She takes a sincere interest in her customers, which is probably why her stall is popular with both youkai and humans alike.

"Oh war raged, by youkai and man waged~ blood and tears held sway, a goddess, jealous and sore, ruled over all~" She began to sing once more.

Well, that, and her cooking's second to none. So is her singing...when she's not exercising psychological warfare on you. Everyone knows to stay on her good side, lest they end up on the receiving side of the worst she has to offer.

"But old legends told of a young girl bold, a dragon princess daring, a samurai of the old code~ Foe fell, man and youkai, not to blade nor fire, but to wit! To honour! She fought naught for man nor demon, but for peace, sweet peace, everlasting~" She sang. The sounds of the summer, the chirp of the cicadas, the rustle of trees and the bubbling of water in the brook, along with the soft hiss of Mystia's stove, all seemed to melt and meld into the sway of her song.

Misty's sparrow windchime tinkled softly, heralding a welcome breeze.

The breeze blew in something else unheralded however. It was the girl from the paddy field.

"Hime-san, welcome~" Mystia said, pausing in her bustle about her little kitchen to welcome the mysterious new arrival. "How are the crop circles?" She asked with genuine interest as she set out my breakfast before me. "Please enjoy~" She said to me.

"Crop rotations, crop rotations. We incest upon correct derminology." The girl replied, a rather excited grin on her face, interrupting rudely before I could thank Misty.

....says the person who can't pronounce 'Terminology' and 'insist' correctly. But I drowned the comment with my cup of tea.

"It sounds really interesting, Hime-san. It sounds a little too difficult for simple people like me though. I think I'd get dizzy if I walked round and round vegetables all day." Misty said, putting on what was presumably the mysterious 'Hime-san's' usual. I couldn't help but notice Misty's liberal application of tomato sauce, mayonnaise, barbeque sauce and Worcestershire sauce  on the lampre-....wait, what's tomato sauce, mayonnaise, barbeque and Worcestershire sauce doing in a traditional lamprey stand? ON the grilled lampreys no less?

"Fumufumufumu~" Hime-san crossed her arms and chuckled quietly to herself, as if she alone was party to a big, wondrous secret. "When this is complete, it will change...no, revengeonize farming."

My lamprey was suddenly swimming in tea. I coughed and spluttered, trying to clear tea from my poor lungs.

Revengeonize? What? WHAT?! I think something deserves some revenge right here right now!

"We will have you know that these new farming methods We are devoluting will suture ample food supplies for the future. Our bounty will be so rotundant that the days of youkai stealing shall come to an end." It was a serial killing of words happening right before my ears. How could anyone allow this to continue?

"Hai, hai, Hime-san." Misty giggled good-naturedly, "By the by, Ellen-sensei came by earlier this morning and asked me to make sure you take your pills after your meal today." She said in a motherly tone.

"Tch....Elle-chi~n is always a step ahead of Us." The girl quietened down, yet still smiling rather manically. Will those pills help spare my poor ears? Can she please have them before her meal? Please please pretty please?

"And remember, farmer Yato pays you to keep the fairies off his patch, not to play around tasting his soil." Misty added.

"No, no, no, not tasting! Sampling, sampling! We must incest on correct derminology." Hime-san said.

"Eating dirt now, are we?" The other customer further down suddenly piped up. To my horror, I only noticed then that it was the Red-White, the source of all my nightmares for the past 5 years. At the time I was still working two jobs, a day job at Kourin's and a night job at the library, all towards one day buying back the treasured books she stole from me.

"Dirt is all we might be eating this winter." Hime-san replied, indifferent. "The summer weather incitement has desquamated last year's crop. We have less to eat, even less to plant this year. If nothing is done We will soon be faced with nothing to go around for both humans and youkai."

"Says the person who didn't lift a finger during the incident." The shrinemaiden chuckled derisively.

"No, We did not. We lifted what We could savage from the mess to keep everyone fed." Hime-san replied, calmly.

"Cleaning up after the real work's done befits a dirt-eating odd jobs girl." The shrinemaiden smirked as she took a triumphant sip of tea.

"Probing one's points to the lowly dirt-eating odd jobs girl befits the great, undeflateable Hakurei shrinemaiden." The odd-jobs girl replied without missing a beat.

Something snapped. And it wasn't just the chopsticks in the shrinemaiden's hands. Mystia was quick to remove anything fragile from the counter including herself.

"Dear oh dear, Reimu-dono, your chopsticks broke. Let Us attire a new one for you, shall We?" Hime-san offered.

The shrinemaiden rose to her feet like a thundering cloud insulted by the very earth, banging the counter with both hands.

"Is there a problem, Reimu-dono?"

"Yes. You." the shrinemaiden snapped.

"What about Us?"

"Well....all...this..." The RedWhite said, gesturing up and down.

"You just gestured at all of Us. Being Us is something We cannot help, We're afraid. We were born this way." Hime-san shrugged.

"What happened to you, Hime?!" The shrinemaiden demanded hotly. "You were great once! But you haven't done anything but pull turnips and push rubbish carts since the Makai incident!"

"Neither of us are 7 years old anymore, Reimu-dono."

"I don't think you were ever 7 years old, Hime."

"Things have moved on from the time when stories end with the last boss, Reimu-dono."

"You never even face the boss to begin with. Where were you during the Scarlet Mist incident? Or the Endless Winter incident?"

"Where indeed." Hime-san replied, more a statement than a question. "Why should We be facing them when Gensokyo has you and the Black-White to dissolve all of our possums? As you say, somebody has to glean after you." The princess smiled pleasantly. "Come, sit back down, hero, you are raining the caste of the food and that is something beyond Our prowess at odd jobs."

"It's just...you...we...." The shrine maiden suddenly turned away mid-sentence with an indignant huff. "I'm leaving." She declared, stomping out, new pair of chopsticks in hand.

"Okyaku-san (honoured customer)! Your bill!" Misty called after her, courageously.

"Put it on her tab." The RedWhite muttered as she stormed out of the stall.

"B-but...." Misty sighed, but from the look on her face it was perhaps more a sigh of relief. Being alive is a good outcome from any dealings with the shrinemaiden.

"Gochisousama*~" Hime-san set down her bowl and clapped her hands together in thanks. "Do not fret, it is simply that time of the month for Reimu-chan." She smiled. "Expect a double shipment of lampreys tomorrow in payment."

*Gochisousama: Literally 'Thank you for the meal'.

"No, really, it's alright. You don't have to deal with it." Mystia shook her head, sighing once more. "It's something we working youkai have to get used to."

Tell me about it. I'm still two years wages away from buying back my beloved books.

"No, We incest." The princess smiled, with one final nod. "And now, We also incest upon desert." To my horror, she turned to me, leaning in close. Look, you can go commit incest with whatever blood pudding desert you're related to, but please don't look at me.

"Y-yes...may I help you?" I quavered. Seriously, if you want the yakitori stand, I think it was on the other side of the village, in the belly of a dragon.

"You seek Ireisen flowers, do you not?" The mysterious Hime-san asked, leaning in closer, cocking her head to one side.

"Wait....were you follo-..." I gasped, indignantly, recoiling. How else could she know?

"Nothing as crude as that." The girl waved my accusation off. "The fact is there to observe as easily as We may infer Reimu-san's period."

How does my Ireisen hunt resemble the shrine maiden's periods?

"It is certainly one of the driest, hottest summers we have experienced in a long while..." She drew the bamboo blinds back, letting the fierce summer sun rush in and blind me. Stars danced across my eyes as I felt one foot drawn up high into the air so quickly that I fell over backwards onto my back.

"...and yet your shoes bear fresh mud, a unique mix of black woodland humus, adorned with...." I blinked the stars out of my eyes long enough to prop myself up on my elbows to look up at the maddened face examining my shoes with such a ferocity of interest that bordered almost on hunger.

And then, to my horror, she gave the sole of my shoe a quick lick, smacked her lips thoughtfully, before continuing, ".... characteristically colourful hyphae of  the Forest of Magic's phantasmal mushrooms, combined with a messy overlay of the dark green mossy mud laced with frog droppings stinktive of the Genbu Marsh. And if We're not terribly misgotten, there is also an impression of kappa hair mixed in with the salty limestone grit characteristic of a sedimentilly valley floor, most likely that of the Untrodden Valley. Moreover, there is the bitter, chalky aftertaste of...limestone...."

"In conclusion, you have been exploring the dark, sheltered, cool forested areas of Gensokyo. A good many things grow in such environments, mushrooms, herbs and moss in particular....however...." She leaned in close over my horizontal form, stopping abruptly a mere instant before colliding nose to nose. "Your fair hair is bleached by exposure to the sun. And yet you wear a sun hat . Why then would your hair bleach so? But of course, you remove that hat when you are searching for the object of your query, for it is easy to miss under the shade of your hat. But why then would you be in the dark, sheltered and cool areas of Gensokyo's forests but also be exposed to so much sunlight? There is only one plant that comes to mind - the Ireisen, which only grows with its roots in dark, sheltered, limestone-based soil but its leaves and flower in direct sunlight."

"...." I was speechless. It was one thing to lick my shoe, but to deduce all that....that was madness. Surely she's been stalking me. That is the only possible explanation.

"We may be able to help you with your chest." The stalker-san said.

"...." Alright, putting aside the fact that you're now not only a stalker but a creepy one too and also that no force in Gensokyo would be capable of helping in that department, I'm sure you meant something else. What rhymes with 'chest'? Pest? Les? Test? Fest? Quest?

"You mean 'quest'?" I asked.

"Yes, your chest." She nodded with a wide grin, "Now, We have need of your asinine."

"Assistance." I'm getting better at this insanity thing.

"You are a librarian in Gensokyo's biggest suppository of books, are you not?" She continued.

Suppository?

Sorry, I've heard the Voile library described as a lot of things, but never a suppository. The biggest suppository no less. Though one can say it was sort of jammed up the bottom of the Scarlet Devil Mansion like an afterthought, I don't think even that moon rabbit would ever stretch the analogy* that far.

*Sorry....I couldn't resist. Please don't get anal with my choice of puns.

"We need a book on soil analysis and the growing properties of various agricultural plants." She said.

My mind ran on autopilot.

Subbasement level B9?Ninety seventh column?.Sixty fourth row?twelfth shelf?library code AK- MIN-01 ? The Land Codex?.by Minoriko Aki?Page 34,....soil nutrients determine how well plants growth....a special plant food the kappa call 'nitrogen' is the first to run out in intense farming....introduction of plants like peas and beans during the autumn can help replenish this....

"Yes, I think we have books like tha-..." Realization struck autopilot dead in its tracks. "Hold on....how did you know I work in the....have we met before?" I gave her a suspicious look.

"We assure you, this is our first meeting." She smiled, in what she probably thought was a disarming way. Creepy, more like. "More importantly, We are in a terrible hurry. Apologies for bringing this pleasant t?te-?-t?te to such a hasty close. Now, tell Us, you seem to know well these aforementioned books. What of their contents?"

"I have read...a few." I replied. The truth is I'm proud of my coverage of the contents of at least half the Voile library. But such pride can be a deadly sin, in more ways than one, especially here. Modesty's often more than just a virtue - it can be a saving grace.

"Brilliant, so you are a vast suppository of information in your own right." She clasped her hands around mine in excitement. Creepy creepy creepy...

Wait a mo...Excuse me? Did you just call me a suppository? A vast suppository? Are you implying I'm...

"Now, can we borrow items from this library?" She asked, pulling me forcefully onto my unsteady feet.

Well, technically, yes, provided you don't dress in black and white and are willing to honour due dates, preferably not posthumously. My mind blank, I just rattled off the generic conditioned answer.

"Most capital! What of purchases?" She asked, advancing forwards, pushing me back into the counter.

"Books labelled 'old' are scheduled for disposal, so they are also up for sale." my autopilot replied in my absence, echoing the words of my boss, the library demon.

"Then may We purchase this fine specimen that interests Us so? Our collection digests, nay, damneds it!" She shoved me onto the counter, leaning in uncomfortably close once more. It was then when I registered that she hand one hand on my head and one hand on my sleeve...

....which had a label stuck on designating me as 'Out of Date, For Sale'.

How did she notice something so small? Which bit of me is out of date? Wait, more importantly, she wants to buy me? As in, ME me?

"S-Sorry, I-I'm afraid I'm not quite for s-..."

"Excellent! Consider it sold!" She flipped open her kimono to reveal a startlingly colourful array of small, cloth purses hanging in rows upon rows, each labelled with a seemingly random combination of numbers. "Here, this should cover it." She tossed one of the bags at me.

"Wh-wha...?" I loosened the string and peered inside. "....seeds? Hey, I may be a bird youkai but....!"

"Ireisen seeds." She waved her hand at me impatiently. "Difficult to acquire. Ireisen only flower and bear fruit for a very short and specific period of the year. Keep them warm, moist and As for your immediate needs, here." She tossed another bag at me. "Enough Ireisen for 6 months worth of medicine."

"....fine...."

That was....last summer. She still....remembers? And....did I ever mention it was for medicine?