Author Topic: Should Pokemon learn from Ni No Kuni?  (Read 2606 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Should Pokemon learn from Ni No Kuni?
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
I know it's pretty late. But I just played the game quite recently than the actual release, since I played MGR: Revengeance first.

Though I will admit, it's pretty amazing. In fact, I doubt it will even sucked when I first saw promotional ads, and trailers. Right when it says developed by "Level 5" and "Studio Ghibli". I just told myself, "Woah, I know this will not be awesome...it will be beautiful."
Ever since Dark Cloud, I've been playing Level 5 games, which the only games I find particularly lacking is the White Knight series. Also Studio Ghibli, have you guys heard of it? I'm sure some folks here have watched "Princess Mononoke", "Spirited Away", and "Howl's Moving Castle". It's actually my 3 favorite films made by them. They're like Disney in Japan(which they are), or a group of people like Osamu Tezuka.

So anyways, a lot of people have been comparing Pokemon to Ni No kuni, and with Pokemon X and Y coming. We have no clue what gameplay is like, except this...the traditional-like gameplay with enhanced graphics.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_X_and_Y

So yea...it's like before, only better graphics.

I think I remember something what Junichi Masuda said about Pokemon being only made FOR HANDHELD. There are certain limitations. But Ni No Kuni DS version looked way better than Pokemon Black and White and 2. I don't know, maybe it's the diverse realm of the Pokemon series...but maybe Game Freak should work with Level 5 to get some better ideas for gameplay. Also, it wouldn't be bad if they get a console version.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty much a Poke-fan myself, don't get me wrong.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: Should Pokemon learn from Ni No Kuni?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
It's not an easy task to make vibrant, animated sprites for 649 Pokemon, regarding the quality of Pokemon B2W2's graphics. It's also probably a daunting (but I believe slightly easier, but not by very much) task to make vibrant animated 3D models for 649+ Pokemon for the upcoming Pokemon X&Y game. It's mostly a scale thing.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:13:49 AM »
If they make it too different some people will hate it. They do have to make the main line games quite similar in terms of gameplay, other than introducing new battle mechanics. I do admit something like shared experience for the party would be nice, but really wouldn't make that much sense and the problems such as wild Pokemon hiding in grass is kind of part of the game now. Art direction and story is something they could learn from though. Having a good story and nice art that are commonly found in most JPRGs would be nice, not to say the art direction for Pokemon is bad, but it doesn't really leave a lasting impression.
Also if it sells, why bother changing.
You can't appease everyone.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »
It's not an easy task to make vibrant, animated sprites for 649 Pokemon, regarding the quality of Pokemon B2W2's graphics. It's also probably a daunting (but I believe slightly easier, but not by very much) task to make vibrant animated 3D models for 649+ Pokemon for the upcoming Pokemon X&Y game. It's mostly a scale thing.
They could do it though. But it would mean removing the National Pokedex, and have an ordinary Regional Pokedex so they can start off with a few Pokemons. If they could do that on Generation VII, I would still buy it.
Also if it sells, why bother changing.
You can't appease everyone.
It sells 'cause no matter how much you don't like it. You'll eventually like it and buy it. Plus it's Pokemon, one of the only few titles out there that even if fans hate one version of the game, they can't resist buying it, and eventually love it.

For me I just wanted a change of pace, that's all. Nowadays developing innovative games are less likely, since companies know there are risks. But get past that, and you'll be swimming with more profit than ever.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
They could do it though. But it would mean removing the National Pokedex, and have an ordinary Regional Pokedex so they can start off with a few Pokemons. If they could do that on Generation VII, I would still buy it.

s/VII/VI

also, cost/effort vs returns

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale