Author Topic: Should you be Pre-Ordering Video Games?  (Read 8364 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Should you be Pre-Ordering Video Games?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »
Welp.

http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-embezzled-aliens-colonial-marines-money-246558.phtml

Probably not a whole lot we didn't already know but man if Randy Pitchford ever works in this industry again it will be too soon.

Third Man

• "Let's pretend to be someone else"
  • "And then continue shitposting!"
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
To me, saying you shouldn't pre-order games is like saying you shouldn't buy games, because, well, buying a game is what a pre-order is. You're just doing it before the game's actually out to ensure you have a copy. To be honest, I don't know why this sort of thing is even a discussion, because I've never seen a downside to pre-ordering.

Drake

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »
well you could start by reading/watching the links provided

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:29 AM »
To me, saying you shouldn't pre-order games is like saying you shouldn't buy games, because, well, buying a game is what a pre-order is. You're just doing it before the game's actually out to ensure you have a copy. To be honest, I don't know why this sort of thing is even a discussion, because I've never seen a downside to pre-ordering.
Pre-ordering = buying a game before it's out, therefore before you can get more info on how good it ACTUALLY is versus just what the promo material, etc. wants you to think.

You can just buy a game after it's released to save the risk of picking up something that you thought was going to be awesome that turned out to be not-so-good.  Don't preorder =/= don't buy at all.  Not even close.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 04:34:46 AM »
I pre-ordered Overgrowth some time ago.

It has been in slow-but-visibly-progressing perpetual alpha its whole existence.

The makers have thrown in a bunch of other games as bonuses for pre-orderers, but these were also alphas, though some of them have received updates after some time.

I can appreciate this, but while they're moving FORWARD they still have not FINISHED anything. And while I liked Lugaru (which Overgrowth is a sequel to) if I had known what an ungodly long time the sequel would take to be completed I probably would never have pre-ordered Overgrowth, just simply because most of the updates are more of interest to somewhat more obsessive modders than to people who just want the game.

They say they make the bonus games as breathers from working on Overgrowth all the time, and I believe them, but I'm just...I dunno, something about it rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT: On the other hand, given they're making the entire engine nearly from scratch for all three major operating systems, I guess it's *somewhat* more understandable why it's taking so long. At any rate they do communicate very openly and clearly with their fans/fellow coders/partners in crime, which is good, and is more than I can say for how Gearbox treated people who pre-ordered Colonial Marines.

EDIT #2: That much said, probably not going to pre-order anything from the Project Zomboid folk again anytime soon.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:44:14 AM by Skeletal Skull Scoundrel »

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 05:29:08 AM »
I'm going to Pre-Order Pok?mon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity.

I know the series well, (I've played Red Recuse Team and Explorers of Darkness before) I know Pok?mon's history, I have had a good history with the series, it's made by Nintendo, so it's gotta be at least decent, and it has a Demo. (That I can't download.  :()

Plus, I've already planned it. I am going to gamestop (possibly) tomorrow.
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

OverCoat

• Don't think. Feel, and you'll be tanasinn.
    • OverCoat Music
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »
Only game I ever preordered was Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, since the pre-order bonus was MOTHERFUCKING OCARINA OF TIME FOR MY GAMECUBE, PLUS A REMIXED DUNGEON MODE

I mean really the choice was obvious there. That alone was worth $50 to me, and it was a Zelda game so wind waker was probably going to be good. Then it ended up being my favorite zelda game!

I always buy games super late and on sale now, or if I hear about it from my friends, OR if it's an Elder Scrolls game :P. Probably saved thousands of dollars.