Author Topic: [Hiatus] Touhou Soujinengi ~ Shuumatsu: The Genius of Sappheiros ~ Weekend!  (Read 94135 times)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
I wouldn't recommend grinding on random enemies over grinding with the Mindslayer sidequest and whatever else you felt like doing. Most of the Kourindou bosses aren't very hard to beat, especially the mech dragon one, and the obsidian dropping one just falls right over to debuffs and Reisen. Hydra is easy but it's a pain to do over and over...

The adamantium dropping one would be nice for farming if it didn't only appear along with the Mindflayer sidequest :V
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Sadly the only Kourindou quest open as of the end of the update is the Terminator mk2. And the only other quests open right now are Byakuren's, Cirno's, and Lithos's. Time to do Lithos's, I guess, because I don't feel like doing a boss I know will cream me (the other one being the Elder Dragon).
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Terminator is very vulnerable to debuffs, and Byakuren+someone else stacking an attack debuff will make it do 0 to even patchy. From there you can destroy it with elec skills like Mad Thunder. But it's annoying, since it can take a few tries to get them to land on the first turn (protecting with Reimu barriers or using Aya commander) and then if they wear off (vortexxxx) then you might have issues. It's an annoying fight to farm.

You could also debuff it's accuracy and use Aya/Sanae evasion buff and field instead, that might be easier. I've been meaning to try it.

I generally just do a material quest instead of that one though, yeah.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Overwhelming Malice- Part 2: The One Who Hates Everything

We need to take on the next boss... but there is still a lot of grinding to be had. Serela's right: grinding off of sidequests is more practical, and it makes sense, because you get the guareenteed rewards plus potential extra drops. Of course, when I ended the last update, I was dealt a very crappy hand in terms of sidequests, so I ended up just doing one of the ones that I don't remember if I showed off earlier or not.

Lithos's quest is more tedious than anything. Just spam your best attacks and you'll win. The enemies here have a chance of dropping random items like the Harbor Frogs from the Gorgon Barrier, so you might get more than just the guarenteed Lizard Tail.

Here's one I know I haven't done yet, though in hindsight I realize now that I could have done Princess Hydra and gotten more Orichalcum instead. Oh well.

This guy is weak to Water and acts like any other mechanical dragon in that it'll use Evolution Breath. So have Aya spam Favorable Wind to avoid that just like with the Hydra. Patchy can spam her best Water stuff as well as getting Arctic Wind off to raise the power of Water spells, while Sakuya can attack with the Ice Sword (although Youmu buffed with Elemental Sword will also work and would probably be a better option). Byakuren can buff and try to land Petrify on it, because it is susceptible to it and it won't auto-recover from it unlike other bosses. A very easy fight if you know what you're doing.

Yikes, we've been dealt a pretty crappy hand for Kourindou quests again. We might as well do the easier ones for now, such as this one. I'm also realizing now that I didn't do a lot of these quests in my original run, so some of these are new to me.

These guys are not that tough either. Basically have Nitori use Elemental Bullet set to Water and spam Radiate/Lazy Eight (you have to have 25 points in Guns to use it), have Aya buff Evasion with Tengu Newspaper Deadline Delay and spam attacks otherwise, and have Sanae buff Evasion and attack and otherwise spam attacks or heal. This is not a tough fight at all.

Well I got really unlucky here. Sanae died and I thought, "Well, everyone else is alive, so we might make it." And then Aya got killed by a physical attack despite being fully buffed on Evasion and with the Hydra debuffed on Accuracy, meaning despite the fact that I was extremely close to finishing it off, I couldn't survive its breath attacks. Damn.

More quest shuffling.

*sigh*

Okay, these guys are both weak to pierce. Couple that with some accuracy boosting accessories on Remilia, a spear or javelin, and maybe a little bit of luck, and two Red the Nightless Castles will finish them off really easily.
Also, after beating this quest Remilia got TPKed offscreen. Just to let you know.

Don't know why I'm trying this.

Of course!

This fight is... harder. It will use some magic and stuff and basically act like a normal Darkonium Marisa. That means it might use Medullite Beam or whatever it's called, along with a lot of physical attacks. Safe to say, I didn't beat this one.

Oh man, let's try new things!

This fight is hard. The guy is pretty bulky and he has a lot of evasion. Youmu might be an option, but I went with Marisa instead because why not? Spam Electric attacks to get the land away from Earth, because at Earth he'll use his most dangerous attacks. Debuffing his power with Byakuren makes him deal no damage, so you want to keep on top of him with the debuffs or you'll have a hard time. If you can pull this all off, then you should be good. This guy drops Obsidian, which means I FINALLY can make the Aegis Shield!
...If I had the Pretty Mirrors. *sigh*
I did a lot more grinding offscreen (when you see the summary, you'll see just how much I did). Before I went after the boss, though...

You can return here! I think you need Sanae's level to be 50 and her power level to be 70, or the other way around to do this.

Yeah, Sanae's been really helpful.

Oh, really? Well, thanks, I guess? I'm still not a big fan of you, but it's nice, I guess.

It either reduces magic damage or it grants Magic Barrier, I'm not sure which.

I'm probably never going to use it.

Hey Suwako, you have anything for me?

Hell yeah, she's one of my more leveled up party members.

Why thank you!

This is really what we came here for.

Right! We'll put it to use right away!

Against this guy!

Wow, this guy looks pretty damn intimidating.

Okay... this fight. This fight is hard. The Existence Hater is made of three parts. The main body is the one you want to kill. The two head things beside him serve as support. The one on the bottom is the one you want dead because it can cast Elixir, which could very well screw over the entire fight. Fortunately, he'll only use it after it has been alive for five rounds. Of course killing him isn't permanent, as the main body will eventually use Raise Dead on it. However, you don't want to kill the other head, because then the main body will use Abyss Wind and bring them both back to live anyways.
In terms of what it can do, it can use Face smash, Comet, Lullaby, Stone Pack (which has never hit), Hellclaw Assassination, a variety of Dark spells, and it can even use Control Land to shift to Dark (it has 999 regen in Dark). It hits hard, and it could very well wipe you out if you don't pay attention.
So, because of that, my formation is VERY specific. On the wiki, there are three strategies against this guy. The first involves using Satori and Marisa to whittle down the main body's HP (it has a huge amount of PDEF and the only elements it isn't immune to are Mystic and the Physical elements, and he's weak to physicals), using Sakuya to keep up Colosseo World, and Sanae and Alice to deal with the usual supportive roles. Not optimal, in my opinion.
The third option is to use Lithos and spam a move she won't even get until level 95, which would involve so much grinding I won't be getting this update up for at least another week if I went for that strategy.
So we're using the second strategy. Youmu is actually powerful enough to pierce the Existence Hater's massive amount of PDEF. The wiki recommends the Devaloka stance spells and making use of Mystical Hermit, but it just doesn't work that well for me, so instead go with the usual Manussya stuff. Bold Advance can boost criticals, so make sure you have that. Once Youmu is all buffed up, just have her alternate between Full Moon Slash and Slash of the Present (or whichever one is the single-target one that has Medium+ damage and hits once) so that you can potentially get both the PDEF debuff AND Soften on it. Of course, there's a VERY specific order in which you should apply buffs, because Sanae should actually use her HP buff. That HP buff will get in the way of Youmu's buffs, though, so have Youmu delay putting up her stance or Bold Advance until Turn 2 (set up the stance then). Have Sanae use her HP buff first turn, then have Patchouli (with 13 points in Staves) use the dispel you get from that to dispel the buff on Youmu. That way, she can have the full five buffs, including the stance, Bold Advance, the ALL up of your choice (depending on if Sanae gets her Last Word before Byakuren has the opportunity to use her ALL up buff she gets from having 25 points in Scrolls). Alice should spam London Doll on Youmu, because the Existence Hater CAN use Vortex, so that way Youmu doesn't lose her buffs. Patchouli, besides dispelling Youmu on turn 2, can also take care of the head that uses Elixir quickly (it's weak to Water, go figure) while also dispelling the other head's physical attack buff. Besides that, though, Patchy has no other combat use. Sanae and Byakuren are there to do their buffing things (make sure Sanae has one of her multi-target healing spells, so that after using the HP buff you can heal everyone up to their new max HPs). That's essentially it for this fight. However, once you get the boss down to 25% of his HP...

He'll use Tsunami of Hades. It deals 999 Void damage to everyone. It even ignores any sort of Reraise effect, meaning the only way to deal with this is to have Void protection (which is rare) or have Alice take it all with Little Legion. If the boss gets healed up over 25% (which can happen, because it can use Refresh on itself), then it can and will use it again once you bring its HP under it, so be VERY careful with this.

And as I've mentioned, yeah, it will use Abyss Wind if you kill both heads at once, but the worst thin git can do is inflict Curse if Byakuren has already gotten Anti-Magic on everyone. This is the only time it happened because Patchy got her Last Word and I was dumb enough to cast it and kill the other head.

But we got it. Youmu, you are a beast, you know that?

Are you dying now?

Good, it's gone.

Another portal? Huh?

...It's not over yet, is it? No, it's not.

We have one more area to go through. This is the final area of the game, guys. We're almost there. Also, I never beat that boss on my other run. In fact, I hadn't even got to the end of Dark Space. So I'm somewhat blind going into this last area. Fun.

Meanwhile, back here...

Well, apparently it's not completely dead yet. We've got business to take care of still.

That's... scary. And a lot of that was because of the Blue Gods Incident... well, we can beat it!
Also, Akyu gives us recipes for all of the ultimate character-specific equipment, which we can't make yet because we need Super Ajas in order to make them. Super Ajas are really hard to get because there's only one quest that gives them, and it's one I have never done before. We'll probably have to do it next time, though.
So yeah, next time, we'll head through the Depths of Resentment and at least try to make it to the final area. Then, we might be able to do some really good experience grinding off of some Emperor Yukkuris (yep, they're right at the end of the last area, of course).

Summary:

Treasure: Orichalcum Shard, Sun Tzu's Art of War, Electric Shard (drop), Lizard Tail (x3 reward), Diamond (x5 drop, x5 reward), Crow Feather (x1 treasure, x2 drop, x3 reward), Agni Ring, Suppository, Snakeskin (x3 reward, x1 drop), Spare Parts (x3 reward, x2 drop), Bamboo, Adamantite (x5 drop, x5 reward), Orichalcum (x3 reward, x3 drop), Fresh Blood ( x2 reward), Magic Shard (x2 reward, x1 drop), Sorcery Wand (Patchouli), Fire Shard (drop), Sharpened Blade (drop), Youkai Mt. Rock (drop), Emerald (x2 drop, x2 reward), Damascus Shield (drop), Blank Scroll, Obsidian (x1 drop, x1 reward)

Skills: Soul Severing Sword (Medium- power small AoE Asura attack that reduces physical and magical attack power, Youmu), Encompassing Kirin Circle (barrier that makes all party members immune to the six basic elements for a turn, Reimu), Stone Shower (High power all-targeting Earth elemental spell, Lithos), Fujiyama's Big Eruption (Very High power attack with added Fire damage that can inflict Burn, costs a bomb, Mokou), Starburst Inflation (Extremely High power all-targeting Light spell, costs a bomb, Patchouli), L3 Laser (High- power piercing Mystic spell that ignores Magic Barrier, Marisa), Ageless Obsession (Very High power column Devaloka attack that can hit 1-3 times, costs a bomb, Youmu), Ifrit Blaze (High power all-targeting Fire spell, Patchouli)

Satori Skills: Meteor (A high-power all-targeting Void elemental spell that can't be blocked, but also costs 99 MP)

Recipes: Head Priest's Shide, Master Broom, El Moriya Iyasaka, OHKO Galaxy Fan, Nouvelle Ice Sword, Al Azif, Shade 2010, Rainbow Kamikaze Greaves, Es, Touhou Fuhai, Phoenix Hand, Virochana Scroll, Hercules, Crystal Sword, Pareidolia, Scarlet Gungnir, Galaxy, Black Magician's Robe, Spirit Pajamas, 9 Robe, Earth Spirit God Kindergarten Uniform, Destiny Robe, God Hakurei Robe, Arc Moriya Robe, Clamor Armor, Perfected Optical Camo, Greater Demon's Robe, Decisive Battle Clothes, Yamato, Pad-armored Chief Maid Uniform, Perfected Doll, Swordmaster's Clothes, God Phoenix Robe, Bloomers on Mt. Ooe

Synthesis Done: Headshot Goggles V (Remilia), A. Muscle Suit, Ancient Scroll, Demon's Cassock (Byakuren), Hinotori Wing, Phoenix Robe (Mokou), Magic Crystal (x3)

TPKs: 4 this update, 20 overall
Frustration: Man, the number of resets I went through was amazing. The true final boss won't be any easier, I'm guessing.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Oh, and on another note, apparently all of my Photobucket pictures won't show up anymore because I used up 10 GB of bandwidth or something like that! That basically means that if you want to see any of my old LPs, well, the only way to see the pictures is to right-click on them and click "open up in new tab." Sorry about that. This is one reason why I switched to imgur, the other being the fact that Photobucket doesn't seem to like sorting things in the order I upload them anymore.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
The boss fight was really vulnerable to debuffs. (This also mean Reisen annihilates it like every single other expansion boss including most of the sidequests where she's allowed and it's not drop-dead easy without it anyway, but the main point is just that debuffs are really strong) (The heads, or at least one of them, are actually vulnerable to Berserk, too...)

If Lithos is like, lv76 or something, she'll have a move that will wipe all the kedamas in her quest out right away.

If you haven't crafted the Magatama or the Yata No Kagami, you should probably do that. Yata No Kagami also has hidden Void Resist, and I think it's the only thing in the game that gives it.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
You're referring to Ras Algol Maenads, aren't you? No, it doesn't wipe them immediately (if it could, then why can't Super Void Cavitation do it when it does 7777 damage instead of the 6666 damage Ras Algol Maenads does?). I guess if you combine it with Energy Riot and just have Lithos's power points put towards her magic, then I guess the two will end the battle quickly, but I haven't exactly tried that out yet. Maybe the next time I get her quest I will.
Also, it was vulnerable to debuffs? Huh. Well, Youmu did the debuffing I needed anyways with Full Moon Slash and Slash of the Present, so... yeah.
Also, no, I haven't made the Magatama or the Yata no Kagami yet. I have the materials for it, though, so I might as well. I might as well make the Regalia while I'm at it (I might be a bit short on Gold, but thankfully Nazrin's thing is up right now so I can just grab two more Golds from that).
Speaking of which, fun fact for those who might not already know it: The Kusanagi, the Yasakani no Magatama, and the Yata no Kagami are the Three Sacred Treasures (or the Imperial Regalia) of Japan. Makes sense that the mirror and the jewel/orb can be combined into one thing that has the benefits of both (except I'm not sure if it has hidden Void protection).
EDIT: Oops, can't make the Regalia yet because apparently I don't have the recipe for it. Umm, yeah. I did make the two other items, though, and I only need four more Gold to make the Regalia afterwards, so I'll be able to take care of that once I have the necessary materials and the recipe itself.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:44:45 PM by Validon98 »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Regalia is in the 15k youkai kill set.

I have a feeling you aren't going to be reaching that, although I could be wrong.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Ah man, 15k kills? I'm at 2160 kills as of this post. I don't get how anyone ever gets to those points considering how long it takes to kill that many enemies.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
I don't understand how you can be partway through expansion and only at 2160. o_O

Although, yeah, it's definitely -insanely- high to reach 15k. Even 10k is something you likely would not hit ever if you didn't do a lot of grinding.

I don't understand how you can be partway through expansion and only at 2160. o_O

Although, yeah, it's definitely -insanely- high to reach 15k. Even 10k is something you likely would not hit ever if you didn't do a lot of grinding.

Yeah, it's really odd.

This is from my save at Stage 18. Have you been running away really often or...?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Yes. I run from most battles because they're annoying and take up way too much time, plus in terms of how much experience they give it's not as great as grinding off of, say, Emperor Yukkuris or the Kourindou bosses.
Looking at my other game save file, though, I have like 4300 youkai killed, and its not that far behind my current one (I haven't explored all of Dark Space yet in that one, so I'm quite far behind compared to the current one). So I don't even know. And the problem is that catching up to that point will take forever... *sigh*
EDIT: Just as an additional note, which is better: randomly killing monsters in earlier dungeons, or abusing RNG to force the 9 Garbangol or whatever they're called fight in the Gorgon Barrier and just killing that over and over again? I mean to rack up kills, not grind for experience, because I have Emperor Yukkuri farming to do that for me.
SECOND EDIT: In the end I don't think it's even worth it. So what if I haven't killed a huge amount of youkai? I can still beat the game regardless. I don't need any of the really overpowered accessories to beat the final boss. I'm just going to go ahead, finish my Yukkuri grinding, and fight this thing. I've already figured out who to put in what party, although of course I still want to get everyone to a decent level (no level lower than 80, my nukers like Marisa, Youmu, Sakuya etc. at least level 90, and the others somewhere inbetween).
THIRD EDIT (this'll be the last one, I promise): You know what, think of it as a "low youkai kill run" or something like that. To prove that you don't need any of those items in order to at least beat the expansion final boss. I'm pretty sure I can beat him at sub 3000 youkai kills. Like that even affects me too much.

FOURTH AND FINAL EDIT: Okay, I lied. Something happened. For some reason, now when I start or reset the game, this thing pops up about Twitter before loading the game. I don't know how to get rid of it. Here's a picture:

If this doesn't disappear, it'll take forever to do the grinding, because I need to reset the game a lot to do it and I can't skip this.

FINAL EDIT FOR REAL THIS TIME DAMN IT: Fixed it. Just had to reinstall the game. I think something just plain broke and it screwed with the settings or something. Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:27:54 PM by Validon98 »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Okay, I'm just moving this into a new post entirely. I went to put my saves back in the reinstalled version and it broke the game like that again. Besides that screen, the options menu gets screwed up, saying I'm in Easy mode and having settings all screwed up. So I'm going to try to reinstall again. If it doesn't end up working, I might just have to call off the LP at this point, because apparently my game is broken and I don't know what to do to fix it.

EDIT: Alright, no worries, everything's fixed and back to normal. So the LP is still on!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:07:40 PM by Validon98 »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
So, uh, hey guys. Listen, my motivation for playing GoS right now is very low. That combined with the fact that my game broke once again has led me to make a final decision: I am not continuing Genius of Sappheiros right now. I actually don't know if I want to continue with it anymore. I want to take a break from the overly difficult games and whatnot, because I just can't stand them right now. Hey, at least I made it to the end of the main game, right? That's got to count for something. Sorry for the sudden cancellation, but, well, I'm just not in the mood for difficult RPGs. I want to do something easier and less stressful, but I don't just want to do Valkyrie Profile.
So I've been thinking about what to do for another LP, and I decided that until Nightmare of Rebellion comes out, I will not be LPing another Touhou RPG. So even though I had plans at one point to do Touhou Mother or Fantasy Maiden Wars (I did, really), I'm going to put them off in favor of another RPG series that I've loved for quite some time: Final Fantasy. I actually wanted to make my Four Job Fiesta run an LP, but by the time I thought of doing that I had already started the game and even though it would only involve redoing a bit of the prologue and I was already LPing two games, I decided against it. Now that I'm putting Genius of Sappheiros on indefinite hiatus, well, I have some free time for a Final Fantasy LP of some sort. So, I'm going to ask for a vote on which of these games you want me to LP:

Final Fantasy I and II: Dawn of Souls (original, Mod of Balance v2.2, or Mod of Balance v3.0 for FFI)
Final Fantasy V Advance (normal run or Four Job Fiesta run)

I don't really feel like doing III, IV, or VI right now, because I'm more interested in the others at the moment. So, take your pick: Which of these games would you rather see me LP?

EDIT: And of course after I said all of that my game starts working again as normal. It doesn't matter, I'm giving up for now. I really just don't feel like it. For now, it's cancelled. Permanently? No. Just for a while.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:17:07 PM by Validon98 »

I can give you my copy of Genius of Sappheiros Weekend. Translated, and Mokou & Byakuren already in the party. But I won't force you to play it right away if you're not in the mood yet. I really like your LP, and I hope I can deal with the fact that Photobucket ruined this lovely walkthrough.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:43:05 PM by Lucas L. Halzen »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Oh wow, someone is responding to this after it's legally dead?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I have decided to make the hiatus permanent, because I lost my save file. The game itself works completely fine, no problems, but the lost of my save data is such a blow to my progress that I don't feel like redoing it. Maybe, if on another run I end up getting back to this point I might start back off from there, but I have no plans to at the moment at all.

Also yeah, Photobucket being a dick is kind of really annoying, huh?

If this thread is still alive, I know how it feels to have your progress frozen, and I have encountered this problem.

GOOD NEWS FOR YOU, I know how to fix it.

Regarding this game, I'll put this in case anyone reads it. I recently found a delightful glitch regarding the character material quests, which should make collecting those pesky things just to make the legendary materials quite easier.

First thing's first, going on a quest, find the designated target in his area, which, you may prefer to have as many other monsters as possible, because the number is proportional to how much materials you can get.

Now to take advantage of the glitch. Call out a monster, along with the target alongside you . Now you need to encounter the mob with the target just next to you, or else this won't work. Well, more or less, you'll beat it without a hitch, and after you do, immediately walk in the direction where the designated target is. It should notify you that you completed the quest, and get the desired reward, however, the target should still be there roaming around freely. Now, if you encounter another mob, it'll turn into the designated target's monster regardless of who it is, just run away and rinse and repeat the method above.

Of course, you still have to follow the conditions for it to give you the reward.

This should work great on Sakuya's quest where you don't want to repeatedly battle Flan, or any other character for that matter. YOu can leave anytime you want, and the quest should be cleared, and not to mention, you get a haul  that's way more than you bargained for.

Note: This method will be quite difficult for let's say, Remilia,  or Yuugi, as they will be alone along with some strong monsters, well, if you have them, equip them with Yata Mirror and the Magatama and you should be good to go.

Another  Note: DO NOT LEAVE THE AREA AFTER DOING THE METHOD. Leaving the area, the roaming target will disappear, along with further chances to get more materials. Do the method to its fullest.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:13:25 AM by gargamesh »