Author Topic: Cons and Exhibits and stuff  (Read 35207 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Cons and Exhibits and stuff
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
I will try to update this Opening post with local events and stuff, instead of starting threads for AFA etc etc (unless it is for planning between actual MOTK people who are going to the event, like me, YJ, Pasu etc at AFA 2012 last year)

Wondering if anyone here is attending ACEN this year?

Apparently Yuki Kajiura and her entire band and the girls will be there. Ito Eri, Wakana, Keiko etc. This is largely confirmed by her webpage.

What are the events this year you all will be attending or planning to attend?
Will you be cosplaying?
Will you be competing? (in cosplay or gaming etc)
Where are these events and how much is their entry etc?

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
Re: Cons and Exhibits and stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »
Well... after much consideration I decided to go to Acen this year. Factors were 1. KALAFINA!! 2. Trying to gather Midwest Touhou people to Acen so that we can make this year's Touhou photoshoot a BIG one :3 and 3. Pretty close to where I live, certainly better than driving 6+ hours to another con in the midwest

So, definitely I'll be cosplaying. I'll see if I can bring out all the 2hu costumes I have atm.
There's a Mahjong panel going on at Acen, felt like checking that one out. Also I'll see if I can get into the Mahjong tournament. I luv playing with members of the Chicago Anime Mahjong People (C.A.M.P.) that hosts the tournament. I probably won't survive for too long, but yeah certainly fun to play XD

Also let's not forget the Soap Bubble XD
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Well... after much consideration I decided to go to Acen this year. Factors were 1. KALAFINA!! 2. Trying to gather Midwest Touhou people to Acen so that we can make this year's Touhou photoshoot a BIG one :3 and 3. Pretty close to where I live, certainly better than driving 6+ hours to another con in the midwest

So, definitely I'll be cosplaying. I'll see if I can bring out all the 2hu costumes I have atm.
There's a Mahjong panel going on at Acen, felt like checking that one out. Also I'll see if I can get into the Mahjong tournament. I luv playing with members of the Chicago Anime Mahjong People (C.A.M.P.) that hosts the tournament. I probably won't survive for too long, but yeah certainly fun to play XD

Also let's not forget the Soap Bubble XD

Play with us online, we'll help you get better :D

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »
Play with us online, we'll help you get better :D

Come to think of it, I'm aware there's a group of people here on MoTK who meet on Tenhou to play Mahjong. U know what we should do? Hold a real-life Touhou Unreal Mahjong match with cosplays XD
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »
I pretty much hear two things universally about Acen: that the music guests are all incredible and that the rest of the con is abysmal.

I'll be going to Animazement and Anime Weekend Atlanta this year, which are my usual cons. I don't actually like Animazement that much, but it's local so it's hard to turn it down. I'm hoping they have a good musical guest this year, because a pass is $60 at the door. Last year that price got us KOTOKO so my hopes are high.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:57:03 PM »
Debating between Anime Boston and Animazement here. Have been to former and had a great experience, but the latter is local and thus more forgiving to my wallet. Really doesn't help they are simultaneous so the #conmeido group will most likely be split. Likely to head to Otakon again as well.

Also got asked whether I'd go to Sakuracon, but that's on the other side of the country so that's unlikely.

Whatever the next con for me may be, I'm definitely going to cosplay, with some Touhou-TF2 combination planned.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
I saw Kalafina at AX 2011, they were really hype (and my friend told me a funny story about their con liaison trying to impress them by bragging about the iPhone app he was making)

Anyway, my only cons this year are probably Sakuracon and Emerald City Comicon.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 12:36:06 AM »
I pretty much hear two things universally about Acen: that the music guests are all incredible and that the rest of the con is abysmal.

That's pretty accurate. There is free room and board at JanaHouse for those that need to wait for trains or those who come in early though~

Edible

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »
Hopefully all y'all are comin' to Otakon, right?

Right? :|

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Still very unsure about Otakon because there are too many factors to consider at once :/ I do plan to go to Otakon some day though

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 02:00:16 AM »
Hopefully all y'all are comin' to Otakon, right?

Right? :|
Nah, I might be in the DR then.

Edible

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 02:12:09 AM »
Nah, I might be in the DR then.

Another summer playing WHERE IN THE WORLD IS MOTHERFUCKING VIC AT >:(

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 02:18:34 AM »
It's the 20th Otaversary so this is the year to come, with some pretty awesome things in the making.
YEAH THAT MEANS YOU TOO VIC.

My sister is coming with, first time at Otakon since 2006 oh how the scene has changed since then :V

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:13:45 AM »
Still very unsure about Otakon because there are too many factors to consider at once :/ I do plan to go to Otakon some day though
Things are lining up to be totally bonklers at Otakon this year and each passing day emphasizes that further.
It's the 20th Otaversary so this is the year to come, with some pretty awesome things in the making.
YEAH THAT MEANS YOU TOO VIC.

My sister is coming with, first time at Otakon since 2006 oh how the scene has changed since then :V
Hey sis check out this group I now associate with it's half 18 year old girls and half 28 year old guys all of them are in skirts.

Will she survive?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:16:03 AM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:21 AM »
And you know what's sad? Even if I do get confirmed for attending Otakon I won't be able to attend it for all three days: Probably Just Saturday or half of Saturday and half of Sunday :(

Hey sis check out this group I now associate with it's half 18 year old girls and half 28 year old guys all of them are in skirts.
"You know it's a good Con meet up when your parents ask why half of the people dressed up [in skirts] are guys.

And they find it creepy."

-A Marisa from Ohayocon

:getdown:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:27:45 AM by DeltaSierra4 »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 04:18:52 AM »
Another summer playing WHERE IN THE WORLD IS MOTHERFUCKING VIC AT >:(
My passport expires in 2018, I want to see how many stamps I can get before then.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 04:34:14 AM »
Actually, this year is probably going to be just ACen and Otakon for me. Travel and hotel are a killer!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »
My passport expires in 2018, I want to see how many stamps I can get before then.
As soon as I graduated college, I wanted to travel, but having no income meant it was mostly too expensive. Now that I have a cash influx, I've been taught to be too afraid to take any more than 2 consecutive days off out of fear that the department manager will have laid off the entire department (including himself) and leaving the janitor as the only line of defense between the shaky manufacturing line of tools for open heart and neurosurgery and hundreds of lawsuits. I still have no idea how travel "happens".

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
I get plenty of vacation time at my job--except it's all unpaid furlough time, meaning that with my $2000/mo in student loans, I don't really have the means to travel a lot.

But vacations at home drawing Madoka ecchi are fine too right ??

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »
I get plenty of vacation time at my job--except it's all unpaid furlough time, meaning that with my $2000/mo in student loans, I don't really have the means to travel a lot.

But vacations at home drawing Madoka ecchi are fine too right ??

'm okay with this.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:22 AM »
This year's Ota's 20th?  Now I'm really thinking I might wanna go...If I do I need to find some MotKers to hang around though; I saw them mostly only at the panel and at the photoshoots, and I never had a real chance to chat with em or anything[the car ride to get me to Balty is excluded from this statement.  Thanks again, TSO~!], and wandering on my own was a little less than exciting than it could've been, for sure.  Wonder if i'll be able to get another cosplay set up if I do go this year?(and if i'll actually remember my Youmuwig this time and get shoes/a proper sword prop instead of a wallscroll!)

One thing's for sure though after having this year though:  I'm DEFINITELY gonna go to MAGFest again.  Was a ton of fun, even if half my time was spent on the DDRX3 vs 2nd Mix machine that was there, haha.  The bands were, as to be expected of something called the Music And Gaming Festival, amazingly awesome.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
IIT: Ota-thread begins early.

Hey sis check out this group I now associate with it's 10% 18 year old girls and 90% 28 year old guys all of them are in skirts.

Will she survive?
Fixed that for you :V
I already told/warned her about you guys (since we were almost going to be at MAGfest) and she thinks the concept of Touhou being almost exclusively females without being inherently sexualized is pretty nifty and how you guys aren't creepy Reddit neckbeards. Probably gonna do some Zelda cosplay together :3 and MJP offered to be Tingle to troll everything  :o

Also Otakon's first OH SHI- guest: T.M. Revolution coming back oh man oh man who else went to the original concert
Spoiler:
welp now I feel like the old lady of the con scene

and get shoes/a proper sword prop instead of a wallscroll!)
I can actually sell you some swords I got when I was planning Youmu that only need the minor customization they're just chilling in a closet still in the shipping box :V

Edible

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
Also Otakon's first OH SHI- guest: T.M. Revolution coming back oh man oh man who else went to the original concert
Spoiler:
welp now I feel like the old lady of the con scene

fuck yeeeeees

(I was also at the original TMR concert)

I'm interested in the "TMR x ???" bit at the top.  Maybe one of the groups that likes to cover his songs, like High and Mighty Color?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
Also Otakon's first OH SHI- guest: T.M. Revolution coming back

I'm interested in the "TMR x ???" bit at the top.  Maybe one of the groups that likes to cover his songs, like High and Mighty Color?

I don't like HaMC as much, but I missed them at ACen so that would be pretty neat too.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
I can actually sell you some swords I got when I was planning Youmu that only need the minor customization they're just chilling in a closet still in the shipping box :V
Hm, when I get out of the February-March region of time so I can actually spend my money again I might just take you up on that, whether I go to Otakon or not!  I'll PM you if I do end up going with that idea so as not to clog this/other topics with details, etc.

Also T.M. Revolution for Ota?  Huh.  Their(his?) music's pretty interesting, so that'll probably be something to go to assuming I can/decide to go.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »
If the money's just right, I might be able to come to Otakon this year. I sort of don't want my parents to pay for everything (just so I can have some fun) so I'm going to try and save up some money to help pay for it. Perhaps I can do commissions or something.

But the con that I'm definitely going to this year will be Tekkoshocon. I'll probably have my Star and Reimu v2.0 cosplays finished by then; I don't think I'll have Kaguya done in time for Tekko, perhaps for Otakon!
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:42 AM »
shit man when last year I attended AFA and say MayN Kotoko Fripside and a host of others including TMR, it was well worth every single cent. gee, actually it was life changing.
but none of you want to come for Asian cons???
heck we have the best *technically speaking  cons.... and hey we have skinny asian traps.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 04:33:16 AM »
Dunno if I'll go to Otakon again this year, if I do, I might hang out with you guys more, we'll see.

Thing is I also wanna go to MAGfest, and I'll probably have just enough money for one or the other. :(

But no matter what, I'm always at Anime North. Like every other Canadian here right? Right? Guys?

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 04:57:29 AM »
shit man when last year I attended AFA and say MayN Kotoko Fripside and a host of others including TMR, it was well worth every single cent. gee, actually it was life changing.
but none of you want to come for Asian cons???
heck we have the best *technically speaking  cons.... and hey we have skinny asian traps.
Aw man if I had the money to travel to Southeast Asia I could. Last year's trip to Comiket left a big budget gap :[

Speaking of cons abroad, can anyone comment on the European cons? Northern European ones sound interesting, and I'm still wondering if they have anime cons in Russia.