Author Topic: Time To Atone For Your Sins, MotK  (Read 133746 times)

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
Re: Time To Atone For Your Sins, MotK
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »
I sometimes question the reliability of the Yama, is that a sin?
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Ah, Enma-sama, thy work of redrawing thy scene from Lucky Star failed miserably. Ye should've not punished me because thy has drawn, even though thy drawing is unexpectedly lame.
[attach=1]
Please, release thy from hell's pits and lift thy up to the glorious times.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »
forgive me judge

i'll be getting that drawing out by the end of the week, i hope. this week is just absolutely hellish for me right now.

No worries! The Yama can wait.

You see? Comedy is hard, but it's not impossible. Congratulations, NekoNekoRex! You have successfully repented for your sin, and have been absolved. Go forth now, with a pure heart, into Paradise.

Awesome, the Yama looks forward to it.

This was both hilarious and displayed considerable humility and self-deprecation. Congratulations, JT! You have successfully repented for your sin, and have been absolved. Go forth now, with a pure heart, into Paradise.

That works. Congratulations, ihavenoname! You have successfully repented for your sin, and have been absolved. Go forth now, with a pure heart, into Paradise.

I sometimes question the reliability of the Yama, is that a sin?

It is indeed - the sin of pride. So you think you could do this? Well, we'll see about that. I present you with the following case; for your penance, you must pass judgement, offering sound reasons for your verdict:

An elderly man and his five-year-old grandson walk into a convenience store to buy some ice cream. Just as they get to the counter, a robber comes in, armed with a gun. He menaces the cashier, the old man, and the young boy, telling them to surrender their money or be shot. Unbeknownst to the robber, though, the old man is carry a handgun. It is legally registered and he has a license to carry a concealed weapon. The old man, rather than giving his money, draws his weapon on the robber and fires, killing him instantly. When the old man appears before you, he contends that he did not want to take any chances that the robber would simply take the money and leave without killing them all, and as such, was acting in self-defense.

What say you, Substitute-Yama? Was it self-defense? Or a rash decision? You be the judge.

Ah, Enma-sama, thy work of redrawing thy scene from Lucky Star failed miserably. Ye should've not punished me because thy has drawn, even though thy drawing is unexpectedly lame.
[attach=1]

Hey, that's not half bad, kiddo! Congratulations, fonduemaster. You have successfully repented for your sin, and have been absolved. Go forth now, with a pure heart, into Paradise.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2012, 04:44:21 PM »
[attach=1]
"thy" means "your" you doofus

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #214 on: November 22, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
"thy" means "your" you doofus
I thought 'thy' meant 'me' and 'the' universally.

« Reply #215 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »
Forgive me for I have sinned.

I savescummed in the second gym of my Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke Challenge, because I didn't want to lose my starter that early.

Also, I lurk way too much...

E: Fixed a spelling error
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:38:37 PM by Cookiejesus »

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
It was hard to find a sin in my karma. I all do right. I hate Sanae, love Toyo-waifu, worhip Yukari...
Oh, I don't like Byakuren. That's the worst thing I've done; and I'm not sure that even this is bad enough to ask Shiki for a help. However, judge is she. What she says?

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Cor

« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2012, 07:13:01 PM »
Oh, I don't like Byakuren.
Well, you can be happy you can only go up from there.

JT

« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »
An elderly man and his five-year-old grandson walk into a convenience store to buy some ice cream. Just as they get to the counter, a robber comes in, armed with a gun. He menaces the cashier, the old man, and the young boy, telling them to surrender their money or be shot. Unbeknownst to the robber, though, the old man is carry a handgun. It is legally registered and he has a license to carry a concealed weapon. The old man, rather than giving his money, draws his weapon on the robber and fires, killing him instantly. When the old man appears before you, he contends that he did not want to take any chances that the robber would simply take the money and leave without killing them all, and as such, was acting in self-defense.
Couldn't resist throwing my two cents in on this one. (Darkninjaabc, don't read this unless you're a dirty cheater.)

Spoiler:
Reagarding the self-defense angle, my gut instinct there is to say that anyone who points a deadly weapon at you is fair game. This is more complex than that, though. First, let's say right away: If they had just handed over the money, odds are very good that nobody would have been killed. Petty convenience store robbers don't run around wantonly murdering people. Drawing your own weapon, however, is an invitation to make the guy panic and start shooting. Let's also remember that this is someone's grandpa we're talking about here, not The Punisher. He's old, likely lacking proper training, and undoubtedly shitting his pants with fear--this is not someone with a steady hand. Even if the robber is standing six feet away from him, it's incredibly naive to assume all of his shots will land on target. A ricochet or misaimed shot could easily hit an innocent bystander such as his grandson. Looking at it realistically, the old man's actions greatly exacerbated the danger of the situation. If I were the kid's father, I'd be furious. I would probably demand that he quit carrying a fucking gun around if he ever wanted to see my son again, because he clearly has no comprehension of how dangerous it is. TO HELL WITH HIM!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
Response to the above spoilered post. Don't read if you're Darkninja
Spoiler:
Couldn't it be just as likely the old man is an army veteran or otherwise has quite a lot of training with weaponry? Most people don't carry guns around for show, and I expect having a conceal license would require you have at least some knowledge on how to properly use it. Not all old men are vulnerable and easily scared. Questioning the mettle of the grandpa is WIFOM in this situation because it's not clear how much experience he has firing his weapon at other people.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:28:21 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
dear yama you seem to have missed my penance post ;-;
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »
I was walking a dog, and said dog dropped a steamer right in front of a "do not poop" sign.
I know it's wrong, but I don't feel bad. I didn't try to stop the dog either. I just stood there and laughed...

As for this whole Yama-for-a-case thing:
Spoiler:
I would rule it as self-defense. He didn't know if the robber was going to use it or not. There really isn't time to think rationally when someone is waving a gun around and making threats, even if it's for the sole purpose of coercion.

JT

« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »
Spoiler:
He could be fucking Solid Snake for all we know, but it's far more likely that he isn't. Would you bet the life of a loved one on the odds that some random old man is a seasoned combat veteran? How "vulnerable" he is is largely irrelevant anyway. It doesn't matter who you are or how many times you've been shot at--if you're looking down the barrel of a loaded weapon, you WILL be afraid, and you WILL have a shaky hand. Take it from someone who's actually had a gun pointed at them before.

Requirements for getting a concealed carry permit aren't that stringent in most jurisdictions that have them. (There are a few places in the US that don't even require a permit at all, but Ammy did say the old man was licensed, so I guess we can assume this isn't one of them.) Usually it's stuff like passing a computerized background check and/or taking a class on firearm safety. There are some places that make you take a practical exam as well, but that's within the controlled and safe environment of a range. It isn't combat training. Shooting at a target isn't the same as shooting at an armed human being.

You should never fire a gun in the presence of bystanders unless the person you're shooting at has a clear intent to kill. Period. Had the old man accidentally killed the cashier or his grandson, he would be thrown in jail for manslaughter. Fortunately he didn't, so in this case, yeah, his actions would probably be ruled in a court of law as self-defense. That doesn't change the fact that what he did was incredibly reckless and stupid.

Edit: Great example relevant to this debate -- Remember the shooting that took place at the Empire State Building back in August? The perpetrator shot one guy, while the cops - note that these are professionally trained officers of the law we're talking about - hit him plus nine bystanders. If you look at the surveillance video, you'll even see that they were practically standing on his toes when it happened. He couldn't have been more than 10 feet away from them, and their shots hit NINE other people.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:54:48 AM by Jay T. Dawgsstyles »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2012, 12:24:54 PM »
Spoiler:
I don't see the relevance of the old man's experience with guns. Unless the robber is mentally unstable (information which is not given to us), the old man and his grandson weren't in danger. So, it wasn't self-defense to begin with.

I'm having doubts that most courts would rule this as self-defense.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »
Spoiler:
Having a gun pointed at you qualifies in court as Assault With A Deadly Weapon, whether it's being fired or not
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #225 on: November 23, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
Now that I have absolved myself (I think) of my first sin, I will ask again:

Tengu-yama, I'm not honest with myself.

I complain about so much of Touhou fandom being obsessed with memes and cheap humor, and then I go and do things like Byakuren reacting to a double rainbow, Mokou out-swagging Kaguya, and increasingly ridiculous theories about Sakuya's origins.

How can I find my personal compass on this matter?

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
It is indeed - the sin of pride. So you think you could do this? Well, we'll see about that. I present you with the following case; for your penance, you must pass judgement, offering sound reasons for your verdict:

What say you, Substitute-Yama? Was it self-defense? Or a rash decision? You be the judge.

(Sorry for being so late with my penance, Yama-sama, I had things to take care of before I pass on to another world. Do forgive your puny subject for his incompetence. \(_ _)/ )

The motive of the elderly man is no doubt in self-defense, and he's right to think so, the old man at that time is being held hostage by a gunner, with the life of his grandson and another innocent stranger at stake. Even though he should be trained for proper usage of arms. He's still a human, and he should be afraid and is probably in a panic then, it is understandable why he shot the robber in order to protect his child.

HOWEVER, this is still fundamentally wrong. Let's think about the scenario once again; This is a robber robbing a freaking convenience store, this sort of thing happen all the time around the globe, and really, there are less people who are actually killed these sort of robber than people who are stabbed to death by a narwhal, being in a panic or trying to protect something isn't an excuse for killing someone, the motive is definitely understandable, but the decision is undoubtedly rash and inhumane. Therefore, my verdict is;

IT WAS A RASH DECISION IN SELF-DEFENSE

>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Tengukami

« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
Forgive me for I have sinned.

I savescummed in the second gym of my Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke Challenge, because I didn't want to lose my starter that early.

Also, I lurk way to much...

Ah, the question that goes back to the ancients - is savescumming cheating? The Yama admits she savescums before any attempt to hack terminals in Fallout 3 because come on - how can you not? If devs didn't want you to savescum, they wouldn't let you - they would only allow for autosaves at specific points. This is therefore not a sin and you are pre-emptively absolved.

It was hard to find a sin in my karma. I all do right. I hate Sanae, love Toyo-waifu, worhip Yukari...
Oh, I don't like Byakuren. That's the worst thing I've done; and I'm not sure that even this is bad enough to ask Shiki for a help. However, judge is she. What she says?

Disliking Byakuren is a far, far less egregious sin than waifuism, not to mention aimed towards such a bland, one-dimensional Mary Sue as either Watatsuki sister, not to mention aimed towards Toyohime, who manages to achieve the nigh-impossible task of having less personality than her sister. For your penance, you must present a convincing argument for Toyohime - what makes her more interesting than Byakuren, specifically.

dear yama you seem to have missed my penance post ;-;

I didn't see a candlestick phone in that drawing there, but it's pretty impressive all the same. Congratulations, venappo! You have successfully repented for your sin, and have been absolved. Go forth now, with a pure heart, into Paradise.

Now that I have absolved myself (I think)

Did you? The penance you were given to "draw a picture of Matt Dillon in Boondock Saints eating a hot dog as he is about to be hit by a bus."? The Yama would love to see that, but looking through the thread, it does not appear to be posted. Perhaps I missed it?

You have provided a judgement based on well-thought-out reasons, one which the Yama happens to agree with. For comparison purposes, you might want to read up on the story of Bernhard Goetz who, while using an illegal firearm, was also charged with attempted murder for shooting and seriously wounding four supposed muggers on a New York subway. Bernhard was white, his attackers were black. Guess how the jury ruled.

Anyways, congratulations, Darkninjaabc! You have successfully repented for your sin, and have been absolved. Go forth now, with a pure heart, into Paradise.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
Disliking Byakuren is a far, far less egregious sin than waifuism, not to mention aimed towards such a bland, one-dimensional Mary Sue as either Watatsuki sister, not to mention aimed towards Toyohime, who manages to achieve the nigh-impossible task of having less personality than her sister. For your penance, you must present a convincing argument for Toyohime - what makes her more interesting than Byakuren, specifically.
You mean Toyosatomimi, I guess.
- Toyo is cool.
- Toyo is a cool DJ. :3
- Toyo was born cool - she can understand many people's speeches from her birth.
- Her wings seen during TD battle are the best last-boss effect ever. And yeah, they're cool.
- Toyo was teached by Seiga. Yeeeah, Byaku hadn't such a cool master.
- She is Taoist. Taoists are cool. Because Toyo is one of them.
- She isn't a hippi teaching youkais to throw themselves away. Youkai's core is its personality, and personality of most youkai is fear.
Is that enough?

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
You mean Toyosatomimi, I guess.
- Toyo is cool.
- Toyo is a cool DJ. :3
- Toyo was born cool - she can understand many people's speeches from her birth.
- Her wings seen during TD battle are the best last-boss effect ever. And yeah, they're cool.
- Toyo was teached by Seiga. Yeeeah, Byaku hadn't such a cool master.
- She is Taoist. Taoists are cool. Because Toyo is one of them.
- She isn't a hippi teaching youkais to throw themselves away. Youkai's core is its personality, and personality of most youkai is fear.
Is that enough?
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Watatsuki_no_Toyohime

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Tengukami

« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »

Oh dear, looks like the Yama done fucked up majorly. You even provided a link to pictures of said Taoist prince(ss).

She is pretty awesome, therefore your only sin is waifuism. For your penance, you must watch this educational video, and share your thoughts afterwards.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:38:17 PM by Tengukami »

« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
Ah, the question that goes back to the ancients - is savescumming cheating? The Yama admits she savescums before any attempt to hack terminals in Fallout 3 because come on - how can you not? If devs didn't want you to savescum, they wouldn't let you - they would only allow for autosaves at specific points. This is therefore not a sin and you are pre-emptively absolved.

Well, I would have never considered to look at it from this angle.

I thank the Yama for her judgement.

Cor

« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
Thanks for the link, Yama. Is being at least 100% gay for JT's voice a sin? I sure hope it isn't.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2012, 07:05:31 PM »
Yama I watched JT's video because I find JT funny, but then I got to the part about how JT talks about smug bastards who hold themselves higher then "normal people who use Facebook and go to parties" and also dislike "Narutards and other nerds who like popular anime" and now I feel bad because I am one of those people

how do I repent for my vapid elitism

EDIT: Also my best friend is a narutard and I constantly shit on him for it

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »
Did you? The penance you were given to "draw a picture of Matt Dillon in Boondock Saints eating a hot dog as he is about to be hit by a bus."? The Yama would love to see that, but looking through the thread, it does not appear to be posted. Perhaps I missed it?

Oh, ack, no, I just forgot. I knew I forgot something, but I forgot WHAT, and I didn't control-F enough apparently.

Also:

Disliking Byakuren is a far, far less egregious sin than waifuism, not to mention aimed towards such a bland, one-dimensional Mary Sue as either Watatsuki sister

NOT COOL, TENGUYAMA. NOT COOL AT ALL. ;_;
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:42:43 PM by Belligerent Bridge Beeyatch »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »
Disliking Byakuren is a far, far less egregious sin than waifuism, not to mention aimed towards such a bland, one-dimensional Mary Sue as either Watatsuki sister
Okay, THAT is a sin. You need to punish yourself.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »

I'm judging you now. :colbert:

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »
I am a fan of Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and Justin Beiber.
Are they even sins? :<
Is being at least 100% gay for JT's voice a sin? I sure hope it isn't.
I leik JT's voice too c:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:34:40 PM by ☯fonduemaster☯ »

Tengukami

« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2012, 11:30:28 PM »

Hm, that's odd. The Yama sees a lot of complaints about her opinion of the Watas, and yet not a single cogent counterpoint.

Just for fun, let's have a group penance: the three of you must present a clear argument for the following, citing canonical sources:

1. Why the Watatsukis are actually not Mary Sues, but have relatable flaws and imperfections, and
2. Why Toyo in particular actually has a personality beyond "boy do I love peaches".

I am a fan of Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and Justin Beiber.
Are they even sins? :<

Nope, these are all talented people in their own particular way.

JT

« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2012, 01:10:50 AM »
>Nicki Minaj
>talented

I will give you Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, though. There are two Lady Gaga songs I actually really like. (They're remixes, but whatever.) She was also was in one of my favorite things ever, so there is that. As for Bieber, you won't catch me blasting BABY BABY BABY OHHHH out my car windows anytime soon, but supposedly he's like, a supertalented multi-instrumentalist, and he can actually sing. I think he's just an easy target for ridicule because of how popular and goody-goody he is.