Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47498 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #480 on: January 04, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
>"I just made landfall today from Braston. Name's Nazrin."
>Today? We packed a lot into this one. Feels like it's been months, almost.

>"Caitlin Vanderwald," the woman says with a steady nod. "And what can I do for you?"
>It does seem like you've been here for a very protracted length of time already. Funny how that works, isn't it?

« Reply #481 on: January 04, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
>"I need a place to bivouac for a day or two. Figured here'd be a better place than an inn or hotel that'd charge me half my tail to get in, and have a bit better security to it."

« Reply #482 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »
>"I need a place to bivouac for a day or two. Figured here'd be a better place than an inn or hotel that'd charge me half my tail to get in, and have a bit better security to it."

>"I'm not certain your expectations," she says, reaching for a file at her left, "but I don't believe you'll find security lacking at any reputable establishment in the city; I could direct you towards several, if you'd like. But as it happens," she continues, running her finger down a ledger, "we do have a single room available at the moment. Board is 40 guilders a night for a maximum of 5 nights; no meals included, though there is a shared kitchen you can access. Also, there is a 100 guilder deposit, garnishable for any property damage, though I'm sure that won't be a problem." She looks up at you expectantly.

« Reply #483 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
>Is that disproportionate for this sort of thing?

« Reply #484 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »
>Is that disproportionate for this sort of thing?

>That's a pretty sizable deposit on what you expect is a minimal room, and 40 guilders would cover most of the cost of lodgings at a decent inn back in Braston; certainly, the guild apartments there were rented for a fair bit less than this when last you handled them. But this is a different kind of place and you have a hunch that 40 guilders might struggle to buy you a room at a dive, let alone somewhere comfortable.

« Reply #485 on: January 05, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »
>Twitch.
>"I'm a bit new here in town, how's that stack up against some other joints?"

« Reply #486 on: January 05, 2013, 12:49:35 AM »
>Twitch.
>"I'm a bit new here in town, how's that stack up against some other joints?"

>Caitlin regards you demurely, though you can't help but see the tiniest hint of masked amusement at your own reaction.
>"Assuming you leave the room in the same state you found it," she says, "I think it would be difficult to find much cheaper. Of course, the accommodations are basic; this is a short-term convenience for fellow guild members, not a hotel, after all."

« Reply #487 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15:09 AM »
>Sure wouldn't be convenient for new Seekers.... We're doing rather well for ourselves, all things considered, and that's still tying up almost half our money in one place, albeit with 30% or so of it to be returned, but it's still committed.
>From our experience, is the rate open to haggling?

« Reply #488 on: January 05, 2013, 01:24:24 AM »
>Sure wouldn't be convenient for new Seekers.... We're doing rather well for ourselves, all things considered, and that's still tying up almost half our money in one place, albeit with 30% or so of it to be returned, but it's still committed.
>From our experience, is the rate open to haggling?

>To new Seekers, perhaps not, though the existence of the deposit implies to you that they've had trouble here in the past. And there was a reason that Val Razua was an eventual aspiration of yours rather than where you expected to be operating less than a week after getting your badge. Still, you're here for now, so you'll have to make the most of it.
>You suspect not, given that this is a guild service more than a commercial enterprise.

« Reply #489 on: January 05, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »
>"Yeah, I know."
>Finger wallet.
>"Payment up front?"

« Reply #490 on: January 05, 2013, 01:53:36 AM »
>"Yeah, I know."
>Finger wallet.
>"Payment up front?"

>"That's correct," she replies.

« Reply #491 on: January 05, 2013, 02:00:37 AM »
>"Then I guess I'd better find out how much the rest of my business here in town'll cost me first."
>"Where does a Seeker go to get an alchemy potion brewed around here?"

« Reply #492 on: January 05, 2013, 02:05:27 AM »
>"Then I guess I'd better find out how much the rest of my business here in town'll cost me first."
>"Where does a Seeker go to get an alchemy potion brewed around here?"

>"Sensible," she says, though there is just the slightest trace of amusement on her face as she does so.
>She casts an appraising eye upon the planter you're holding. "I suppose that depends on what kind of potion you're looking to have brewed."

« Reply #493 on: January 05, 2013, 02:08:23 AM »
>"It's in the nature of a healing potion."

« Reply #494 on: January 05, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
>"It's in the nature of a healing potion."

>She nods slowly. "Well, alchemy isn't really my field, but the nearest herbalist is on the corner of Greening and Whiteoak, near the old armoury. Do you know how to get there?"

« Reply #495 on: January 05, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
>Is that on our map, and/or have we passed by the place/area on your way around town so far?

« Reply #496 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
>Is that on our map, and/or have we passed by the place/area on your way around town so far?

>You're sure it was on the map somewhere, but those particular names did not catch your eye when you were last looking at it, nor do you recall passing them during your excursions.

« Reply #497 on: January 05, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »
>Shake our head. "Haven't been around that way yet."

« Reply #498 on: January 05, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
>Shake our head. "Haven't been around that way yet."

>"Well, it shouldn't be too hard to find," she says. "Go left when you exit the guildhall, then take the second street on your right and then the first left after that. It's a small brick building with a mortar and pestle above the door, maybe five minutes or so down that street."

« Reply #499 on: January 06, 2013, 12:20:15 AM »
>"And they do good work? It's for a client, so I'd rather not skimp on the quality."

« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2013, 01:15:01 AM »
>"And they do good work? It's for a client, so I'd rather not skimp on the quality."

>"I'm sure they're competent enough," she replies smoothly. "Though I'm afraid I don't really have the expertise to gauge one alchemist's work from another. It's possible someone else here might have more experience; I've never actually shopped there, myself."

« Reply #501 on: January 06, 2013, 01:53:31 AM »
>"Close enough to be worth checking out, at any rate."
>Hmmm. Well, as long as we're here...
>"Well, that taken care of. You wouldn't happen to know a place around here to trade in old airship parts, would you?"

« Reply #502 on: January 06, 2013, 02:17:36 AM »
>"Close enough to be worth checking out, at any rate."
>Hmmm. Well, as long as we're here...
>"Well, that taken care of. You wouldn't happen to know a place around here to trade in old airship parts, would you?"

>The woman nods.
>You decide to ask another question of the clerk while you're at it.
>One of her eyebrows arch slightly and her gaze drifts to few degrees to your side. "For that, actually, you might be better off speaking with-"
>"-me."

« Reply #503 on: January 06, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »
>Perk ears and listen for something behind us.

« Reply #504 on: January 06, 2013, 02:38:21 AM »
>Perk ears and listen for something behind us.

>Your ears perk up at this new voice which indeed issued from behind you, in the general direction of the job board though closer to you than that. There had been footsteps moving about in that vicinity previously, though you had paid them little heed; one or two people had been perusing the job board, after all. No other sounds immediately follow that one word, though a vague smile flickers suggestively on Caitlin's face.

« Reply #505 on: January 06, 2013, 02:45:56 AM »
>Hm. Kudos on this one sneaking up behind us.
>Let's see who it is.

« Reply #506 on: January 06, 2013, 03:38:12 AM »
>Hm. Kudos on this one sneaking up behind us.
>Let's see who it is.

>You turn around to meet a cocksure grin looking up at you from beneath a mop of tousled blond hair - nearly a full head shorter than your own, though the ears do add a few inches. Standing about halfway between you and the job boards is a snappily-dressed rabbit in a two-tone vest and dark fingerless gloves. Her hands are resting casually on her hips and you would lay odds she's already puzzling out how much of a sucker you are.
>"What're ya tryin' to offload?" she asks.

« Reply #507 on: January 06, 2013, 04:02:07 AM »
>Great. Another rabbit. We'll see how much a pirate THIS one is.
>"An old flow intake regulator. That's seen better days, I might add."

This might be more your department than mine, Purvis, if it comes down to haggling.

« Reply #508 on: January 06, 2013, 04:11:25 AM »
>Great. Another rabbit. We'll see how much a pirate THIS one is.
>"An old flow intake regulator. That's seen better days, I might add."

>Well, this one is lacking the trademark bandana at the very least.
>The rabbit nods knowingly. "How much better?"

« Reply #509 on: January 06, 2013, 04:20:18 AM »
>"I believe the term was 'rusted to crap'."