Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47509 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »
>"Green hair, surprisingly sharp and competent as far as Fairies go?"

I had a feeling we'd be needin' her help again by the end of the day.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2012, 07:12:45 AM »
>"Green hair, surprisingly sharp and competent as far as Fairies go?"

>Oh, very," the librarian says. "I've never seen quite the like of it before in my years here. Sweet girl, too."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
>Chuckle a bit. "Saved me from a literally sticky situation earlier today she did. Some other fairy thought she was a mage, and ended up goofing around with a weird spell that I ended up the victim of. Foam everywhere. She was the one who stopped the dang thing from still going, my ears are still gummed up a bit thanks to it."
>Sigh. "Least it's better than my luck was on the way here to Val R., eh?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:34 AM »
>Was she back out there in the lobby when we came in this time?

« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2012, 07:33:15 AM »
>Chuckle a bit. "Saved me from a literally sticky situation earlier today she did. Some other fairy thought she was a mage, and ended up goofing around with a weird spell that I ended up the victim of. Foam everywhere. She was the one who stopped the dang thing from still going, my ears are still gummed up a bit thanks to it."
>Sigh. "Least it's better than my luck was on the way here to Val R., eh?"

>The librarian's eyes widen. "Oh, was that you? I heard about that from one of the students, earlier. Somehow I feel like I should apologize; it's not at all often that a latent enchantment slips past and onto the shelves without being noticed like that. I hope it wasn't too uncomfortable for you."
>"Did you have an unpleasant trip?" The woman gives you an empathetic frown, looking almost matronly for a moment.

>Was she back out there in the lobby when we came in this time?

>Not that you noticed.

« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
>"I'll spare you the ugly details. We'd both be here a while. But the short answer? Very."
>"Would you happen to know where that fairy went when she left?"

« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2012, 07:59:04 AM »
>"I'll spare you the ugly details. We'd both be here a while. But the short answer? Very."
>"Would you happen to know where that fairy went when she left?"

>"When she left?" The librarian shakes her head. "I'm afraid I haven't seen her here at all today."

« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »
>"I'll check at the front desk, then, once I'm all finished here. That helpful little fairy might just have an answer I've been looking for for a while."
>Return eyes to the more detailed map, with the fairy village. About how far does it look between the checkpoint and the village, and how rough does the going in between look?

« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
>"I'll check at the front desk, then, once I'm all finished here. That helpful little fairy might just have an answer I've been looking for for a while."
>Return eyes to the more detailed map, with the fairy village. About how far does it look between the checkpoint and the village, and how rough does the going in between look?

>The librarian smiles. "That's nice to hear."
>You take another look at the map. The lake is about 3 or 4 miles south-southwest of Isir's Cross and it's another mile or two to the opposite shore, where the village is located. There is actually an open road leading from the fort to the lake, but no obvious land route around it; the hills which closely frame much of the shoreline look difficult to navigate.

« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
>About how long would it take us to walk to the village from Isir's?

« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »
>About how long would it take us to walk to the village from Isir's?

>It would probably take the better part of an hour to reach the lake from Isir's Cross. It is much harder to make an estimate of how long it would take to circumnavigate it through all those hills. Depending on how rugged they are in person, quite possibly a couple more hours.

« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
>Does the map give any indication of trails or canyons through the hills, or a river that flows that way that would offer easier travel?

« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »
>Does the map give any indication of trails or canyons through the hills, or a river that flows that way that would offer easier travel?

>No. Well, technically the easternmost of the rivers west of Isir's Cross does flow from that lake, but not from a point that is appreciably closer to the village and circling around to approach from alongside it would add many more miles to the trip.

« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
Mmm..... What else do we need to look at, while we have maps in front of us? We should invest in maps for ourselves, for when we're on the road, but since we're here, what else should we check for?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
Honestly, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. But then again, being a bit under the weather tends to do that.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2012, 06:11:54 AM »
Yeah, I think we can proceed.
Although... Just to satisfy my own curiosity. Since I can't shake the feeling we'll cross paths with one of them sooner or later.

>Look for the headquarters and/or territories of the three most influential Houses in the city.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2012, 06:17:13 AM »
Always a good idea.

...Hey, maybe one of the houses would know about this garden too?
I'm thinking that since House Scarlet's one of the oldest, someone there might know.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2012, 06:57:31 AM »
Maybe, but, if these noble houses work like others in games, they wouldn't help us without a reason. Not that I'd be averse to doing them a favor in exchange for information, but it would have to be after we're fixed.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2012, 07:03:04 AM »
...Which would need us to find the garden in the first place.
Well, at least we've got a potential job lined up for afterwards, eh?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
I am not certain they'd even let a scruffy foreigner through the front door.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »
S'why I used the word 'Potential'.

Remember what those pirates from before jacked? Near as I can tell, it was being delivered to one of the Houses. We recover that somehow, and we've practically got it made.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
Setting aside my own personal feelings towards Aya's band, I sincerely doubt we'll see that lot until we leave town. They're too cowardly to risk coming near a city as well defended as this one claims to be, and I doubt we'll find their hidey hole on dry land here.

« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »
I meant to mention this earlier, but I'm out of town at the moment (and will be for a little while), so expect updates to be more sporadic than usual for a week or two.

>Look for the headquarters and/or territories of the three most influential Houses in the city.

>While you don't believe the map shows the comprehensive holdings of each of the houses, the seats of their power are clearly marked. Scarlet Manor is the closest to your current location, cloistered within an insular but spacious district framed by gardens and manicured parkland, southeast of the Grand Academy and near to the very center of the city. The Emerald Bridge Palace, seat of House Mizuhashi, is southwest of the Academy, spanning the middle of a broad canal that cuts through the western third of the city. Further to the southeast and on the other side of the Grand Concourse is Ozukitei, which appears to be the main residence of House Houraisan. It is notably more modest in size than its two peers and less isolated from its neighbours; it appears to nearly share a wall with adjacent homes of only slightly lesser affluence.

« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2012, 02:48:57 AM »
>"I think I've got what I need. For now, anyway."

« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2012, 03:29:36 AM »
>"I think I've got what I need. For now, anyway."

>The librarian nods. "Well, if there's anything else I can help you with, just let me know."

« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:43 AM »
>"Thanks for the help."
>Exit map room, return to front desk.
>Inquire of desk jockey. "That tall fairy that was here before, with the green hair. Did you happen to catch where she was going when she left?"

« Reply #266 on: October 15, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »
>"Thanks for the help."
>Exit map room, return to front desk.
>Inquire of desk jockey. "That tall fairy that was here before, with the green hair. Did you happen to catch where she was going when she left?"

>She smiles gently. "You're welcome."

>You exit the map room and return to the circulation desk, then ask after Dai's whereabouts.
>The woman shakes her head. "I'm afraid I never even noticed her leave."

« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2012, 06:18:41 AM »
>"That's all right, thanks."
>Depart the library.
>Time to conduct an experiment.
>Stand aside from the library doors, produce dousing rods, and scan the campus grounds for fairies.

« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »
>"That's all right, thanks."
>Depart the library.
>Time to conduct an experiment.
>Stand aside from the library doors, produce dousing rods, and scan the campus grounds for fairies.

>The woman gives you a polite nod.
>You leave the library and decide to try dowsing for fairies - something iffy at the best of times, but perhaps not entirely futile. While fairies are distinctly magical and thus something you can theoretically detect, they are also fundamentally manifestations of nature and so tend to resonate in similar ways to the environment around them. Most of the time this makes them very hard to sense at all, though this seems to vary somewhat from fairy to fairy; you guess you'll just have to hope that this Dai stands out better than most.

>You take a few steps away from the library and off the beaten path, so as to let the flow of people pass freely by, then take your dowsing rods in hand, take a deep breath, and focus your senses. Your immediate reaction is almost to wince and then immediately to grumble; the magical resonances in just your immediate area are multitudinous, of a dozen different sizes and shapes all ringing dissonantly on top of one another in a clamour of arcane vibrations. Probably ought to have expected that, but it's still annoying. Sifting through them is certainly possible, but it'll be a slow and painstaking process if you're going to have any hope of finding something as faint as a fairy among all this noise. You take another breath and steel yourself to the task, starting with one narrow arc of the campus in front of you and scanning it exhaustively before moving onto the next one. If you had the luxury of idle observation, you might even find it interesting to note how the flows of magic vary from one building to the next, the shape and flavor of each different brand of spell. This could even be a good spot to hone your sense for fine discernment of enchantments - there's certainly enough ones active here to use for reference! - but at the moment, it's only making your current job harder. You find yourself stifling a dark grumble. This is probably already a lost cause, but you press on stubbornly; what else are you to do? You absently note the inquiring glances your activity is drawing from passersby, but their opinions are the furthest thing from your concern at the moment. Let them gawk if the want to.
>You shift your focus another degree. Someone casts a spell 27 degrees north-northeast, maybe 800 feet away. The spike was sharp, but brief - probably fire-based. Irrelevant. You turn another degree. More wards and ambient magic - fireproofing, security, who knows what else? Hard to tell. Also irrelevant. Another degree. An odd pulsing sensation, perhaps 900 feet away. Same building as the last, you think. Faint. Distinct only because of how it fluctuates. Possibly an enchantment being woven. Feels slightly unfamiliar, but not altogether alien. A flash of gossamer and gold passes the edge of your vision. Another degree. The pulsing is oddly distracting. You find yourself wishing they'd stop it for a few moments. Another spell: 28 degrees north-northeast. Less sharp than the last, wavers slightly - feels weaker and less focused, but otherwise similar. Then there is another. A short green-haired girl waves at someone. Another degree. This sector feels oddly quiet. Funny, that. You sigh and shift again. ...wait a moment.

« Reply #269 on: October 15, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »
>Does fire feel hot?
>That's her with the hair, ain't it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:16:01 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »