Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47497 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
>Sniff the air to sample the age of the documents contained herein.

« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »
>Nod. "Yeah, would you mind pointing me to a current map of the city, and a map of the region west of Isir's Cross, if you could?"

>"Of course," she says, shuffling off towards one of the cabinets. "A Seeker, are you?"

>Sniff the air to sample the age of the documents contained herein.

>You take a sniff of the air. It does smell heavily of parchment and vellum, as much of this building does, though stronger here for all the maps packed into the confined space. Some of them do seem fairly old, though certainly not as much as in the rare book room that you visited downstairs earlier.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
>"S'right. Lookin' for a rumored garden out in those parts."
>Maybe we should head over with her?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:30 AM »
>"And to get a better sense of how the city's laid out. First time here. Big city."

« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
>"S'right. Lookin' for a rumored garden out in those parts."
>Maybe we should head over with her?

>"A garden?" she asks curiously. "What sort of garden is this?"
>You follow behind the woman as she scans down the labels on the drawers of one of the cabinets.

>"And to get a better sense of how the city's laid out. First time here. Big city."

>She nods. "It is that, yes. Are you from Braston, then?"
>The librarian slides one of the drawers out, in which rests a thin stack of large parchment maps. Even to you, the one on top is immediately recognizeable as Val Razua, its streets and buildings detailed in very fine pensmanship. With careful fingers, she extracts it and lays it out on the nearest table.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
>"Ayup. That's where I'm from, yeah. But anyhow, this garden's supposedly got every sort of flower you could think of, and maybe a few you couldn't, and they're all in bloom year-round. Even the ones that don't bloom for a while, like ones that only bloom once every so many years. It's that latter sort of flower I'm lookin' to find."
>Let's see about memorizing as much of the map as we can. Bein' a seeker means we gotta be handy with these things after all.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
>Take note of gardens, greenhouses and nurseries.
>"Only trick is, it's supposed to be hidden. But I'm thinking I might be able to pick up a clue from a map. Or at least narrow it down a bit."

« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »
>"Ayup. That's where I'm from, yeah. But anyhow, this garden's supposedly got every sort of flower you could think of, and maybe a few you couldn't, and they're all in bloom year-round. Even the ones that don't bloom for a while, like ones that only bloom once every so many years. It's that latter sort of flower I'm lookin' to find."
>"Only trick is, it's supposed to be hidden. But I'm thinking I might be able to pick up a clue from a map. Or at least narrow it down a bit."

>"And where was this garden supposed to be?" she asks, running her finger along the drawers of a nearby map cabinet.

>Let's see about memorizing as much of the map as we can. Bein' a seeker means we gotta be handy with these things after all.

>You set to examining the map and committing as much of it to memory as you can. This is not the first time you've looked at a map of Val Razua - it had long been your goal to reach the city, after all - though it's been a while since you studied one closely and they were never a detailed as this. The draftsmanship of the map before you is extremely controlled and precise and the shear size of the parchment on which it is written allows for minute detail; a fairly staggering number of buildings are indicated by individualized contours of their footprints rather than perfunctory rectangles. There is little decorative embellishment, but as a functional aid, it is top-class.
>You quickly find the location of the Grand Academy and the airship docks and trace the route you must have taken to get from there to here. Reassuringly, things seem to line up more or less like you'd visualized them in your head. You also note several other points of interest: the local chapter of the Seeker's Guild, the Grand Concourse and Sovereign Hall at the city's center, passenger docks for the riverboats south, central holdings of the major houses, roads out of town, and even Prestor Row where you visited that herbalist a little while ago. There's frankly an awful lot of information to take in, and even with all your experience at navigation you'll probably have to limit yourself to a few specific routes and points of interest unless you intend to spend dedicated time in the library memorizing more comprehensively.

>Take note of gardens, greenhouses and nurseries.

>Certain public gardens and parks of sufficient size are marked on the map, though it most certainly does not have a comprehensive labeling of commercial enterprises throughout the city; there's simply not enough room to mark them all, no matter the physical size of this map. You do, however, note the course of the river flowing to the southwest, where Professor Bosqueverde said many of the nurseries were located, and the sequence of streets which presents the most direct route there. The footprint and arrangement of several clusters of buildings are suggestive of greenhouses, even if they're not explicitly labelled as such. You keep them in mind.

>The librarian lays another map out beside the one you're currently examining. The relative sparseness of its features allows you to quickly identify Isir's Cross and the meeting of roads from which it derives its name. The detailing of this map is much coarser than the first, even given the difference in scale; a first appraisal shows little sign of notable features to the west of it, though this is hardly unexpected.
>"We have other maps of the city and surrounding area, of course," the librarian adds. "Political and topographic, or detail maps of specific districts, depending on what you're looking for."

« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2012, 02:33:04 AM »
>Does this map extend beyond the city, indicating that tower professor Morrigan noted?
>If it does not, inquire about a map containing that data.
>Scan the Cross map for scenery that doesn't belong. For instance, areas of green among wild or wasteland, a large clearing in a forest. And waterfalls, you could hide a garden behind a waterfall.

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:47 AM »
>Does this map extend beyond the city, indicating that tower professor Morrigan noted?
>If it does not, inquire about a map containing that data.

>The map extends slightly beyond the edges of the city, but doesn't appear to do so by enough to include said tower on it. At least, you don't see anything matching it down there.
>You inquire after a map that contains the region immediately southwest of the city and the librarian fetches one for you. While it does indeed appear to cover what you asked for, there is still no indication of a tower in that area. Though, to be fair, there aren't many indications of any other buildings along the section of the road or surrounding plains either; the map is quite a bit less detailed in that regard and seems more topological. You do however spot a small hill or two in what you believe is the general area Professor Morrigan indicated. Perhaps it's on one of them?

>Scan the Cross map for scenery that doesn't belong. For instance, areas of green among wild or wasteland, a large clearing in a forest. And waterfalls, you could hide a garden behind a waterfall.

>You scan the map of the Isir's Cross region, but nothing on it strikes you as particularly out of place. However, the detail of the map grows increasingly vague as you travel further west. The area immediately beyond the fort is mostly forest, though tree cover appears to thin in patches after a while. The region is framed to the south by increasingly rugged hills that sweep out into the forest every now and again, and to the north by the island's edge, itself punctuated by several tiny penninsulas capped with bands of thick trees and uneven terrain. A pair of small rivers crosses through the area, one flowing from a modest lake in the hills to the south of Isir's Cross, and another from somewhere further west. Once you travel far enough in that direction, however, any pretense of navigable terrain is abandoned as the land grows into a solid band of forested hills. Here, the detailing of the map becomes very general; you would not be surprised if some of it was guesswork. There is no indication of a pass.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
>Follow along the rivers, and see if there is anything of note along them. In theory, a garden would want water and good soil...

« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »
>Follow along the rivers, and see if there is anything of note along them. In theory, a garden would want water and good soil...

>While this makes sense, you see no points of obvious interest marked along the course of either river as they pass through the area west of Isir's Cross. Even the source of the more westerly one is somewhat vague.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2012, 07:46:04 AM »
>How close do they come to Isir's Cross?

« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »
>How close do they come to Isir's Cross?

>The nearer of the two comes within 4 miles of Isir's Cross at its closest, while the other looks to be at least 23 miles away, though both pass fairly near to each other at several points.

« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2012, 11:58:42 PM »
>Do there appear to be any sign of old or current trails or paths on the Cross region map, something to indicate ground travel routes?

« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2012, 01:36:05 AM »
>Do there appear to be any sign of old or current trails or paths on the Cross region map, something to indicate ground travel routes?

>You can see a couple, though most are dashed in a way that suggests they are minor or rarely used. One meets up with the nearest river and follows near it for a time, while another extends out to the tip of one of the small outcroppings of land to the north, perhaps 10 miles away from Isir's Cross. A third branches off to a point amid the hills to the south. None extend very far west before disappearing from the map.

« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2012, 01:44:12 AM »
>Well, there's more than one resource in this room...
>"I wonder, have you had folks in here before looking for this garden out in this area?"

« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2012, 03:02:32 AM »
>Well, there's more than one resource in this room...
>"I wonder, have you had folks in here before looking for this garden out in this area?"

>"No, I don't believe so..." she says, frowning thoughtfully. "Although now that you mention it, I may have heard someone mention a place like that before... I'm afraid I don't recall where it was, though; it was a couple years back, I think. I don't believe there's anything like that on any of the maps we have of the area, but I can still get you some others to look at if you'd like."

« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2012, 03:17:21 AM »
>Have we ever had cause to try and locate something like this with a map's help before? And if so, what if any tricks did we use?

« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2012, 03:48:21 AM »
>Have we ever had cause to try and locate something like this with a map's help before? And if so, what if any tricks did we use?

>Several training exercises during your apprenticeship involved finding hidden objects or locations through the use of maps, though some of it was urban and most took place in more narrowly defined regions than this one. You don't know if you'd regard any of the techniques you used as 'tricks' so much as common sense: searching for sheltered locations themselves accessible from navigable terrain but ideally not visible from it, proximity to fresh water if long-term habitation is suspected, sketching arcs for possible distance covered from known associated locations, and establishing regions that can be ruled out ahead of time. To some degree, you're at the mercy of the map's resolution and this one is not altogether great. Much of the work often needs to be done on the ground regardless, following trails or seeking signs of habitation where none would ordinarily be expected. In that capacity, your skill at dowsing could be a great advantage; even if you could not track what you were specifically seeking, you might be able to detect something associated with it.

« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2012, 04:27:05 AM »
>If this youkai is the tender of this garden, then presumably she would have some means of providing irrigation, or water in some form, to her plants. If she had, for instance, a metallicly-constructed aqueduct, or even just a metal watering can, would we be able to detect those, if they were in an area where we wouldn't expect a lot of metal to be?
>Based on what we can see on this map, how may locations can we discern would be secluded, but not totally inaccessible, and would have at least some access to one of the fresh water sources we can see?

« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2012, 04:52:28 AM »
>If this youkai is the tender of this garden, then presumably she would have some means of providing irrigation, or water in some form, to her plants. If she had, for instance, a metallicly-constructed aqueduct, or even just a metal watering can, would we be able to detect those, if they were in an area where we wouldn't expect a lot of metal to be?
>Based on what we can see on this map, how may locations can we discern would be secluded, but not totally inaccessible, and would have at least some access to one of the fresh water sources we can see?

>Unless the means by which the garden is hidden includes some sort of dampening magic, those sorts of things should be detectable. However, something as small as a watering can would not be detectable from very far away.
>If you rule out any of the regions immediately near Isir's Cross itself and confine yourself to a short distance from one of the rivers, this does cut down the possible area by a fair bit, though what's left over is still large. It's worth noting, however, that much of the forested area extends beyond the immediate proximity of a marked river, so it's possible there are other ones unmarked or the regional aquifers and rainfall are simply sufficient to facilitate large-scale plant growth on their own. And frankly, you think most of this region counts as secluded by most definitions, even moreso if the few trails listed are rarely used; some bits are more secluded than others, of course. You presume the best shelter could be found among the more ruggedly hilly areas, though some of those may also not be flat enough to support much of a garden.

« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2012, 04:55:49 AM »
>"Do you happen to recall who you heard talking about it?"
>Indicate the map of the Cross region. "Is this the most detailed map you have of this area?"

« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2012, 05:02:23 AM »
>"Do you happen to recall who you heard talking about it?"
>Indicate the map of the Cross region. "Is this the most detailed map you have of this area?"

>"Oh, certainly not, I'm afraid!" She chuckles lightly. "It was quite a while ago, and only in passing, I think."
>She takes a look at the map. "I... think it may be, at least if you want one that extends that far west. We have more detailed ones of the fort's immediate area, of course."

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »
>Ponder, then shake head.
>"If this youkai and her garden's as out of the way as I think, that might not do me much good."
>Another moment.
>"On the other hand, it might help me plot out a starting point to set out from once I get there. So yeah, if you wouldn't mind."

« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2012, 05:23:28 AM »
>Ponder, then shake head.
>"If this youkai and her garden's as out of the way as I think, that might not do me much good."
>Another moment.
>"On the other hand, it might help me plot out a starting point to set out from once I get there. So yeah, if you wouldn't mind."

>She nods. "Of course."
>You scrutinize the map for a little longer while the librarian goes to fetch another. True to her word, this one turns out to be both more detailed and less far-ranging; the map barely extends as far west as the nearest river, though there are quite a few more minute bends evident in what portion of it is shown. It also suggests the marked trail leading to the river is a hunting trail, though possibly an old one. A smaller sibling is shown branching off from it to the northwest - a detail not evident on the other map. Sadly, neither the purpose nor full extent of the two other trails you previously noted is indicated here. One other detail catches your eye which was not present on the first map; apparently there is a fairy village on the opposite shore of the lake south of Isir's Cross, nestled in among the hills. It's not altogether common for these things to be marked, or even widely known; perhaps that suggests it's larger than average? You can't actually spot any land route leading to it, though.

« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2012, 06:08:30 AM »
For the first time in months, I see some light at the end of the tunnel. If Yuuka's out in the middle of nowhere, then the fairys may well know about her.

>Do we know how well staffed the checkpoint at Isir's is?
>Nod in approval, details are good.
>With our eyes on the fairy village, "Didn't know that was there. Any idea how big that fairy village is?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2012, 06:10:43 AM »
Yeah, they should theoretically know.
Here's hoping we don't go and end up in another situation just like our current condition is after we hopefully get cured..
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2012, 06:19:49 AM »
Assuming this isn't the quest. "Get poisoned, get cured, go home and have makeup sex with Yamame."
I mean, this HAS been 11 threads. A man wonders. Especially considering how difficult finding this plant has been.

« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2012, 07:05:29 AM »
>Do we know how well staffed the checkpoint at Isir's is?
>Nod in approval, details are good.
>With our eyes on the fairy village, "Didn't know that was there. Any idea how big that fairy village is?"

>Not specifically, though its comparatively limited importance makes you suspect it runs with a light crew rather than the full battalion you believe it was originally designed for.
>You nod.
>"Oh, not specifically," she says. "It's a bit hard to get a proper count of fairies, always flitting here and there and drawing doodles on the census forms. Though... I do believe that fairy magician who attends the Academy is from that area."