Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47160 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2012, 02:43:48 AM »
>"I... suppose so, yes."

>"Right!" She nods. "That means... I don't know what that means. But we'll figure something out anyway!"
>Here she engages in some awkward wrangling of the box in her arms that you eventually deduce as a misguided attempt to extend an open hand towards you. After an oddly impressive series of contortions, she finally manages to extricate one arm from the package without sending either it or herself toppling to the ground. Barely. She offers it to you.
>"I'm Kyouko!"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2012, 02:45:14 AM »
>We may as well accept the handshake, but be careful to not show off anything amiss, and be sure to keep an eye on the box incase she looks like she might drop it.
>"Name's Nazrin, I'm a Seeker from all the way out in Braston."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2012, 03:11:04 AM »
>We may as well accept the handshake, but be careful to not show off anything amiss, and be sure to keep an eye on the box incase she looks like she might drop it.
>"Name's Nazrin, I'm a Seeker from all the way out in Braston."

>For the time being at least, the blighted marks on your arms are covered securely by your sleeves. You accept Kyouko's handshake, and she responds by pumping it vigorously. Enough so that you fear the box will tumble over, but it somehow manages not to.
>"A Seeker from all the way out in Braston? I've never met one of those before! Nazrin... Nazrin..." she repeats your name slowly, almost as though she were trying to get a feel for the sound of it, then she smiles broadly once more. "Nice to meet you, Nazrin!"

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2012, 03:45:43 AM »
>"Likewise."
>Enthusiasm is all well and good, but, we really should be getting down to brass tacks.
>"So, know anyone around here that's good at scrying for plantlife?"

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2012, 03:51:09 AM »
>"Likewise."
>Enthusiasm is all well and good, but, we really should be getting down to brass tacks.
>"So, know anyone around here that's good at scrying for plantlife?"

>"Likewise!"
>You are on a clock, after all.
>"Nope! But we can go ask someone else who might!"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2012, 03:52:03 AM »
>Nod. "Let's go then. You gonna be okay with that box? Unless this room's where you were headin' with it."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »
>Nod. "Let's go then. You gonna be okay with that box? Unless this room's where you were headin' with it."

>"Don't worry!" she says. "It's on the way! Sort of. Close enough."
>And with that, she squirms her way back into something approaching a proper hold on the box and sets off down the corridor.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »
>Let's follow her then!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »
>Her back is exposed! Tackle-hug!

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
>Her back is exposed! Tackle-hug!

>Taking advantage of your quarry's blindspot and impaired mobility, you launch a high-velocity hug. The maneuver is extremely successful by certain measures; contact is solid and results immediately in Kyouko letting out a rather adorable squawk. Unfortunately, this is almost immediately followed by, in sequence, a considerably less adorable gasp, the scratch of fingers against cardboard, a weighty dull thump, and the distinct shattering of multiple glass objects. Perhaps it would be best to leave the romping around for when your target isn't carrying anything fragile?

>Let's follow her then!

>You follow after the youkai as she saunters cheerfully down the hallway. The flow of students parts around her, probably to avoid colliding with her package; some of them also give her a quick wave or salutation as they pass, an act which Kyouko invariably reciprocates with both exuberance and volume.
>The pair of you turn a corner into an adjoining corridor and your guide starts to angle towards a door against the opposite wall.
>"Almost there!" she says.

>As you approach, you can hear conversation issuing from behind the closed door.
>"I had hoped you would appreciate the immense gravity of the threshold we stand poised to cross," says a clear-voiced woman. "And how every suitable resource at our shared disposals would be better spent reaching towards this new future than any banal preoccupation with a present that will only be left in its wake."
>"No doubt," comes a second voice, her tone about as dry as a desert and equally unimpressed.

« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
>"Familiar voices?"

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
>"Familiar voices?"

>"Well, that's Professor Morrigan," Kyouko says as you approach the door, frowning slightly. "I don't think I know the other woman."

>"Nevertheless," the first woman continues in a grandiose tone, "the march of science will not be stayed by the indolent or the closed-minded. As long as there has been history, those who've tried to gainsay its advancement have been left behind by a world that refused to wait for them. Even with the paltry resources I've been left to work with, I will change the world again. This is not a hypothetical; it is an incontrovertible fact."
>"Quaint."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
>"Which one's Morrigan?"

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
>"Which one's Morrigan?"

>"The one who's not saying much," Kyouko replies. She looks faintly uncomfortable.

« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
>Ponder.
>"Think we came at a bad time?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
>"Does she often meet with people like this?"

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
>Ponder.
>"Think we came at a bad time?"

>"At a bad time?" she says. "...maybe?"

>"Does she often meet with people like this?"

>"People like this? I don't think so...."

>"Well," the other woman continues, "if you are content to hold back the flow of progress, as so many before have tried and failed, then I shan't expend any more of my time preaching to deaf ears. Every minute wasted here is another minute we are all held back."
>"Then you'd best run on, yes?" Professor Morrigan's voice is thick with barbed courtesy; you can almost taste it.
>"Indeed!" Either her companion is oblivious to the tone of her words or simply impervious to them. "If eventually you come to realize your fundamental misapprehension, I trust you know where I can be found. Good day to you, Miss Morrigan."

>And with that, the door abruptly opens. Kyouko squeaks slightly and tries to shift the box out of the way. Standing in the doorway is a woman clad in vivid red from head to toe - hair, vest, skirt, and even the cape which flutters dramatically at her sudden motion. She isn't especially tall in an objective sense, but she carries herself with such gravitas that you can't help but feel it adds a few inches. She spares only the briefest of moments to appraise both you and Kyouko with sharp eyes before turning dismissively and striding briskly down the hallway.
>"G- good afternoon!" Kyouko calls out after her, an odd timidity dampening the full force of her salutation. The woman appears to take no notice of her.

« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
>Watch her retreat.
>Once she's gone, deadpan, "Friendly sort, isn't she."

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
>Watch her retreat.
>Once she's gone, deadpan, "Friendly sort, isn't she."

>You watch the woman disappear down the corridor; at the pace she's going, it doesn't take long.
>Kyouko lets out the vocal equivalent of a confused frown, her ears drooping slightly.

>At this point, a second figure appears in the doorway, somewhat taller than the first. She is garbed in a full-length hooded robe made of a layered diaphanous material in white and dusky blue. An elaborate pattern of interlocking curves is embroidered along the edges of the garment in vivid silver thread. The woman's hair is a matching silver, woven into a loose crown braid just barely visible beneath the edge of her hood. She regards her guest's departure with deep violet eyes; the muted annoyance in them is unmistakable. Then she glances towards the pair of you and her expression takes on an uncertain tone.

>"Kyouko?"
>"Good afternoon, Professor Morrigan!" the youkai replies, her ears perking up in perfect tandem with her voice.
>The professor sizes up the box in her arms with some dubiousness. "I hope that's not for me to deal with?"
>"Nope! I'm helping tidy up the old seminar room!" Kyouko smiles as though she were taking some pride in this fact. The professor turns her gaze dryly towards you. "Oh, this is Nazrin!" she continues. "I was hoping you could help her with a problem she has!" The professor's gaze dehydrates further.
>"I hope you're not about to ask me for something impossible as well?" she says.

« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »
>"I actually don't know. I've never had cause to outsource my divinations before."

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »
>"I actually don't know. I've never had cause to outsource my divinations before."

>She lets out a small sigh. "Let's hear it, then."

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2012, 02:46:16 AM »
>"I'm looking for a plant. A specific kind of flower, actually, one that doesn't grow here in town. I have an idea where it's supposed to grows but, before I head anywhere, I need to know if what I'm looking for is there."

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2012, 02:48:24 AM »
>"I'm looking for a plant. A specific kind of flower, actually, one that doesn't grow here in town. I have an idea where it's supposed to grows but, before I head anywhere, I need to know if what I'm looking for is there."

>She lets out a larger sigh. "And this isn't a question that would be better addressed to, say, an herbalist?"

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:20 AM »
>"I HAVE asked an herbalist. But the only place she thinks the flower would be, currently, is a great garden in a hidden location, somewhere southwest of here, west of Isir's Cross. And so I came here, hoping that there was a diviner here that could find that flower, or that garden."

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2012, 03:01:51 AM »
>"I HAVE asked an herbalist. But the only place she thinks the flower would be, currently, is a great garden in a hidden location, somewhere southwest of here, west of Isir's Cross. And so I came here, hoping that there was a diviner here that could find that flower, or that garden."

>The professor's mouth hangs open slightly. She blinks. There is a moment of silence.
>"A garden?" she says. "West of Isir's Cross?"

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2012, 03:03:00 AM »
>"That's what professor Bosqueverde told me."

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2012, 03:08:15 AM »
>"That's what professor Bosqueverde told me."

>She nods, then takes a deep breath. "Let me see if I can put this in simple terms. As a mouse, you have very good hearing, right?"

« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:17 AM »
>Oh, HERE we go.
>What kind of tone of voice is she using?

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2012, 03:22:06 AM »
>Oh, HERE we go.
>What kind of tone of voice is she using?

>Her tone of voice is reasonably calm and unpresumptive, though you still suspect she may be regarding you as slightly thick. Still, she's clearly trying not to be too harsh about it, despite traces of prior exasperation.

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2012, 03:23:32 AM »
>Fold arms.
>"What do YOU think."