Author Topic: What If... (Ver 2.0 + MORE EXPLOSIONS)  (Read 218446 times)

Zero Izayoi

• DJ Amish, the Touhou DJ
  • Poet and daredevil, among other things... (x.o)
    • Floating Cactus
What If... (Ver 2.0 + MORE EXPLOSIONS)
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:27:55 PM »
I missed this thread, so I decided to make a Yoshika Miyako version bring it back from the dead!

Basically, somebody asks "What if (something funny/strange/stupid/genuinely concerning)" concerning the world of Gensokyo, and then somebody else answers and  asks another for the next person. Understand?

NO? Well... GO STICK YOUR NOSE IN A DOUGHNUT!

So, I'll start: What if Tenshi was a DJ?
Uh, what is this thread about? o_o
well it was simply quoting from The Book of Trolls but then Edible posted a Nick Cage mecha and it all went downhill from there

I yearn to fix this break in what never existed; to reclaim my reality, even though it isn't real...

Re: What If... (Ver 2.0 + MORE EXPLOSIONS)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
She would only play rock music.

What would Gensokyo look like if ZUN was tee-total?
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
It would be colored entirely monochrome.

Plus side: Might be easier to make a road map of it.

What if SUIKA was a tee-total?

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »
THE WORLD WOULD EXPLODE

What if Yukari could change Yuyuko into Youmu?

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
What if Yukari could change Yuyuko into Youmu?
Nothing would happen, frankly. Consider the following: our current setup is two half-ghosts and two half-humans. We need only sum the two half-ghosts to make a full-ghost and restore Yuyuko. However this now leaves Youmu in a full-human state. This too is nothing to be worried about: one must now simply beat Youmu half to death and everyone'll be back to their original level of ghostliness/humanness. Incident resolved. :)

What if Sakuya decided to simply stab her opponents while time is frozen rather than placing a bunch of knives in a wave they can potentially dodge once time is restored?

Latest works
The Strongest

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
She probably wouldn't be serving Remilia.
That, or Reimu and Marisa would've died a long time ago.
And that is assuming that the incidents aren't staged.
Otherwise...I've got nothing.

What if the Touhous were the result of some insane scientist that wanted to make a half human, half youkai hybrid?

draganuv15

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:30:52 AM »

What if the Touhous were the result of some insane scientist that wanted to make a half human, half youkai hybrid?

Then they must be pretty damn proud of themselves.
What if Miko were to have her headphones stolen?

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:08:06 AM »
She'd no longer be allowed to DJ at the Hakurei shrine's tea parties.

What if Futo and Komachi had a boat race?
(Not at the Sanzu river)
Touhou Normal 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4
Touhou Lunatic Progress - Haha, funny.

"I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!" - Me at 2 in the morning

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:34 AM »
NICE BOAT

What if.....
Flandre discovered Pixy Stix and Red Bull?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:18:05 AM »
Then Patchouli would have to stabilize the SDM before she exploded it in a hyperactive state.

What if Marisa found a way to steal entire bookshelves at once?

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 03:37:09 AM »
Patchouli breaks down into depression, and Marisa feels guilty and so returns everything.  The latter goes back to stealing books themselves some time afterward.

What if you walk in on Tokiko holding Rinnosuke by his collar and with her fist pulled back, ready to punch him?

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 03:41:03 AM »
I'll bait her away with Stephen Hawking's "Universe in a Nutshell", then go to Kourindou, say I want some sort of reward for saving his skin, look around his shop for the sword of Kusanagi and demand to have it.

What if someone paints the entire SDM in an awesome dark blue while none of the staff was looking?
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

ShiroiMahotsukai

• White Mage with a Twist
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
It would exist in that state for exactly 12 hours - Sakuya noticed after 3 seconds but blindfolded Remilia until the paint was dry before letting her get a look at it. The resulting scream caused it all to flake off - the gardens are now blue however.

What if Yuyuko lost her apetite?
"The eyes are the windows that let us gaze upon the soul"

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
Youmu and Mystia rejoice.

What if bosses actually explode when defeated?

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Then Reimu would rule on high as Empress/Queen since nobody can defeat her

What if ZUN became affiliated with CAVE?
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

ShiroiMahotsukai

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
Two bosses, one at either end of the screen.

What if the Myouren Temple fused with the Hakurei Shrine?

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
Reimu and Byakuren fight over ownership and leadership of the shrine.

What if Mystia getting eaten by Yuyuko in IN is canon and thus never appeared in a single official Touhou material again?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:16:40 PM by game2011 »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »
No more rumours and theories (maybe)

What if CtC was canon?

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
If I recall the storyline from CtC, ZUN would be out of a job because that's practically the end of the timeline. Or at least, out of one of his jobs.

What if Wriggle were made an Extra Boss?
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
What if Wriggle were made an Extra Boss?
Bees.  :V

What if Reimu retired from solving incidents?

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
NO MORE HOMING SHOTS
There's still Marisa and Sanae though.

What if ṣ̵̣͈̦͙ͪ̈́́̿ͧ͋ơ̬͚̗̳̎ͪ̍̔̊̓̐m̮ͤ̌ē̙͎̺͙̄ͦ̎ͩ͂ͪ̀ͅȏ̬̞̓̃̓n̠̙̙̝̄͛e̘͕̲̭̗͎͓ͧ̀ ̏̏̎̀f̛̤͌̍̏̈́i̥͉̪̱ͧ̄͟g͍̭̟̩̪̿̎͒ŭ҉̗̬r̗͈̜̺̘̫̍͡ḙ̰̤̭̖̮̭͑ͮͫ̊d̻̻̦̠̲̤̙́̏̏̅͆ͬ ̵̌̊̐ͭo̵̞̝̓ͮ̄̾̉̄̓u̴̧͈̞̍̆̍̌͌͆͠t̯͙̂̊̓̈́͋̒̔͡͝ ̴̨̯͉̫͕͚̱͎͓́̊h̷͈̪̥̗̉͑̉͞o̭̳̲̠͇͕͌̐̎̊͗̕͝ẉ̰̝̳͖̔͂͌͜ ̪͉̑̌̈̉̍̉̅̚ṭ̸̹̖̔ͥ̈́͑o̙͉̬̻̔̒ͧ͊͂̽ ̴̸͉͙̲̰̱̆ͣ̾͠ṙ̨̛̛̞̯̲̪̦̖̝̪̝͑̎̆̌̽̈́͒̿̑ͫ̈͠e̝̤͎̟̳̲̼̟͓̖̣̞̭͔̖ͩ̓̏ͧͫ̆̎͘͡a͈̰̹̹̞̪̻͓͇̼̎̍͂̔̇̃ͯ́̑ͮ̌ͧ̐̌̀͢͡͝cͯ͐̏̒ͣ̈̕͘͏̷̱̺̖̪̖͍̬̪͖̼̻̤̬̥̺̮̠̭̀ḫ̴̙͔̗̻̗̳̺͇̰̬̱̝̎̊̓̓ͪ͊ͬ̋͆ͧ́̀͟͠ ̷̛̪̲͕͎̬̺̰͍̞̻̗͇̪̼͇̥͍͛̌̊̂͘G̛̫̹̘̳̘͙̟̟̫̗͇̥̪͖͛͂̀̌̉͋̇ͤͣ̐̅̉̃̚͘ḛ̴̢̼̠̯̭͈͙̜̰̳̲̋ͩ͛̎ͥ̒̃̌̏̄̄̈́̔̄ͭ̇ͪ̃̀̚͘͟ņ̳̝̟̘͍̰̻̼̦͚̰̖̘̼̩̃͐̆̿̆ͪ͂̄ͩ͛̾͂͗́͡s̶̸̮͓̲̠̖̦͖̠͂ͤͤ͗̾̃̇ͭ̊͋͑͂̀͗ͪͤ̋͐́̀͢ö̡̨̠̯͔͕̱̤͇́ͫͤ͑̐ͭͭ̆̑̋͒̋̚͘͜kͯ͌ͩ́҉̪͙̬̱́͟y̢̛̾ͪ̎͂ͫ̓̑̋̈́͌̚͏̷͍̬̤̠̮̘̪̼o̴͕̠̘̞̥̪͇͙̬̟͓̳̤̊̑̾̈͂͌̆͗̿̐͊̓ͩͧ̀̈́̊ͭ̀̚͞?̴̷̧̪̻̥͛ͬͦͧͩͥͩ͊̃̏͡

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
what

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »
What if someone figured out how to reach Gensokyo?

That could imply Reimu's not doing her job properly and hasn't been maintaining the Hakurei Border (which, having recently hypothetically retired, could probably care less; pretty sure it's Sanae's fault anyway, whatever may be going on. Nobody likes Sanae anyway. ^-^ ) Presumably, if that's the case then passage would work both ways. We could be getting youkai here. And this is where things get really bad.

Gensokyo was made because youkai were dependant on the dwindling belief of humans to exist in the first place. Now, hundreds of years later, with modern technology and science (precious, precious gooey science...), there isn't a whole lot of belief and superstition to go around anymore. Many of the weaker youkai would probably flat-out fade out of reality and cease to exist. The stronger youkai probably wouldn't fare all that well either. There may be a bit of hope though; attacking humans viciously and violently enough to renew their fear, and consequently belief, of youkai could fix things. At least until human belief wavers again and everyone has to go back to Gensokyo.

Only... what Gensokyo? With the barrier down it'd eventually become no different than anywhere else on earth. Some places like Makai may simply vanish, or become self-contained realities disconnected from ex-gensokyo-now-part-of-the-outside-world.

OYA and the person that figured out how to reach Gensokyo? That's already happened. I wasn't blaming Sanae simply out of an all-consuming hatered of her. >:)

What would happen if Youmu discovered the ball of light following her isn't her ghost-half but rather some human spirit infatuated/obsessed with her?

Latest works
The Strongest

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »
The spirit would be promptly cut down. Also Youmu would probably sulk afterwards because Yuyuko never told her.

Also, she'd start wondering if she really is of the Konpaku bloodline if she has no ghost-half :P

What if Utsuho could manage the fire of the Hell of Blazing Fire without having to rely on Orin's corpses for fuel? (actually as long as there are atoms why would Utsuho even need to get fuel for her power o_o)
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

ShiroiMahotsukai

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »
Certain other people would actually have to do work to get rid of the corpses that were no longer being used for fuel. Also free electricity to Youkai Mountain since no one has to work for it causes a boom of technology and soon after all of Gensokyou has HD TV.

What if Mystia's Lamprey really did cure Nightblindness?

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
Presumably, if that's the case then passage would work both ways. We could be getting youkai here. And this is where things get really bad.
the person that figured out how to reach Gensokyo? That's already happened. I wasn't blaming Sanae simply out of an all-consuming hatered of her. >:)
Something hinted at youkai being able to pass the barrier...not sure what though.
Didn't Sanae (who is part god) and Suwako tag along with Kanako?

What if Mystia's Lamprey really did cure Nightblindness?
Nothing, really...unless someone else starts selling lamprey. Then, there might be trouble.

What if Flandre wasn't insane?

ShiroiMahotsukai

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
She'd probably have much better control of her powers and we may all be in trouble on this side of the wall.

What if the zombie apocolypse craze reached Gensokyou.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »
What if the zombie apocolypse craze reached Gensokyou.
Most characters would be "safe" - youkai are often physical manifestations of a spiritual entity so zombiism probably wouldn't spread. But there are humans here and there, and zombies are very annoying danmaku users (see Miyako's last spellcard...) and generally malicious (though not intentionally so) so it would still have an impact on everyone.

Reimu may be protected what with her divine powers and whatnot. She would probably set about exorcising zombies and trying to restore things to normal after spending a brief moment shooting down youkai and trying to find how the incident started. Byakuren's probably in the same boat as Reimu. Her faith will probably protect her. As well as Miko.

Marisa may be a powerful magic-user but zombiism doesn't really discriminate. A zombie-Marisa would be pretty terrifying. I could see some final heart-wrenching battle between zombie-her and human-Reimu. Someone needs to write a doujin or something... Alternatively, she could escape to Makai with Alice.

Assuming Sakuya is human (as the canon presents her), she's also at risk. Unlike Marisa however, she's...
a- Surrounded by pretty tough people at all times (eg, Remilia, Meiling, Patchy...)
b- Able to stop time, which would be useful for escaping swarms.
...So she would probably fare better. As a zombie, however, she'd be devastating. Particularly if her ability to stop time remains. Freeze time, shamble up to a few humans, chomp down on their brains, restore time. Bam. Insta-zomb.

Mokou and Kaguya (and Eirin to some extent) are non-youkai but they're also immortal. Mokou, in fact, regenerates very rapidly. Zombiism might not affect them, particularly Mokou, though it's hard to say for sure. They would probably be fine. Eientei's surrounded by a maze of bamboo anyway so they probably won't have much to worry about. I suppose Reisen and Tewi would also fit in there somewhere...

The Youkai Mountain's races would be susceptible. Granted, tengu forces would definitely not go down without a fight (and with people like Momiji who can see/hear/smell across great distances and Aya whose speed rivals that of almost anything else, they should be able to hold the mountain for a while.) Kappa technology would only add to that. But zombies in most zombie apocalypse scenarios are usually infinit for all intent and purpose, so it'd be a battle of attrition. Youkai Mountain would eventually fall and tengu pride would probably lead to all of them being zombified.

Sanae's a demi-goddess. But I hate Sanae. She would make a pityful zombie just like she makes a pityful shrine maiden. Reimu will probably exorcise her while passing her by without slowing down. But Sanahate aside, she's probably fine. Again, she's a demi-goddess. AND she's pretty much surrounded by goddesses at all time. Even if she can become a zombie, Kanako and Suwako would probably find some way to undo it. Sanae'd probably handle things like Reimu, only not as efficiently.

Most people in the Underground are probably fine. Zombies would do poorly in that kind of terrain, plus the burning hells' heat can't be any good for them.

But in the end, aren't zombies and all that also youkai? One way or another, Gensokyo'd stay a world of youkai as it's always been. Just... with zombies instead of lolis. :)

What if all magic in Gensokyo vanished and every youkai suddenly became human?

Latest works
The Strongest

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:31 AM »
zombie apocalypse

It wouldn't be long before pirates, ninjas, bacon and Cracked would follow.

What if all magic in Gensokyo vanished and every youkai suddenly became human?

That fanboat jousting tournament idea of Nitori's would finally catch on.

What if everything we know from Aya about Gensokyo is true, but everything not also reported by Aya was unequivocally false?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:13:04 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ShiroiMahotsukai

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »
Everything we know becomes a lie, the world of truth and illusion is broken and the Touhou games we no longer believe in pass to Gensokyou wherin it creates a mass chain of events ending in a perfect cycle involving multiple parrallel universes and an infinite number of Gensokyous locked in time loops.

What if a large section of Gensokyou flipped over and hell was now on the surface and the area above was now below?