Author Topic: The past year in Touhou - noteworthy events?  (Read 4883 times)

C27

• Byronic Commando
  • Tactical danmaku operator
The past year in Touhou - noteworthy events?
« on: April 04, 2012, 02:14:14 AM »
What, in your opinion, are some of the most important events in the greater Touhou community in the past year, since Ten Desires came out? Does anything stick out to you as headline-worthy, and if so, what and why?

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
Re: The past year in Touhou - noteworthy events?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »
Huh.  I'm not that much into what happens in the touhou community overall. For me this is a personal source of fun and challenges wich i share from time to time with other good people ;)
But watching at this threads title i thought it's about "what happened to you touhouwise in a past year?" Maybe let's discuss it? :wikipedia:
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »
Aside from official releases, I can't really see anything as headline worthy, especially since the touhou community is pretty diverse in terms of favored aspects of the game. Some fans just like the music, some likes doujinshi, others just like schmups. I'm all for MMX's suggestion to make the thread a little bit more local and subjective. The biggest thing for me (I'm sure if it was after 10 desire, but it should be close, if not after) was dat youmu game, for the obvious reason that it was fun, plus delicious youmu.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:50:26 PM »
As for me, a year ago i was a touhou newbie that was happy about his first normal (EoSD with 5 lives lol) 1CC. Since then a lot of things happened, but i must admit, Ten Desires was a huge part of my touhou becoming. It was first new game i've encountered as it was issued, and i was fascinated with it pretty damn much.
But what haven't changed since i've started touhouing is my way of discovering these games. I still have tried only four of them, and don't feel like tempted to try the rest until i'll get interested in any.
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
Past year? No idea what we're talking about, but most noteworthy was the mess with WhiteCanvas, by far. Really sucks when accusations are published prematurely and all of a sudden a lot of circles stop cooperating with your favourite shop. Well, happy to see that things have improved again, though it's definitely opened my eyes.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »
ZUN getting married is probobly the most important thing, seeing as ZUN is the creator of Touhou. It might influence future games slightly, be it through her input, or inspiration, or whatever.

Who knows, maybe she can actually do art! Imagine Touhou with decent character potraits!

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Zil

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »
On a personal level, I've only been playing for a little more than a year so... I guess everything I've done along the way? Maybe all that 90fps silliness, but there's been lots of fun stuff I did in the realm of Touhou other than that.

I guess ZUN getting married is probably the biggest deal for the general community, but I'm more of a game playing guy than a fandom guy, so I really don't know what's going on in general.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Oh. And i must mention that past year was the time i've got introduced to MoTK, bringing my touhou addiction to a new level  :*

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »
touhou 13 confirmed to exist

touhou 13 joked to contain mima by zun

touhou 13 confirmed not to have mima

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:40:48 PM »
I'm also more of a gameplay person, so I don't know of much in the fandom outside of ZUN marrying.

The Ten Desires demo was released just about one year ago, and it marked the first time I seriously got into scoring a non-SA game. I also achieved perfect runs of some of Touhou's toughest Lunatic stages to do so on (PCB Stage 6, MoF Stage 4, things like that), and threw in some high-quality no-bombing runs like MoF and SA.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Drake

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:09 AM »
ufo lunatic 1cc

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:57:04 AM »
I've been rather slack with my Touhouing this last year...Interest isn't dying so much that I made the mistake of getting involved with another MMO (elsword and vindictus), so my free time just bit the dust again.

So nothing in particular really comes to mind for me, but perhaps whe Zun notified everyone that he is opposed to people selling touhou fangames online or whatever that policy was.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 02:00:57 AM »
@Drake

We also log personal events?

Well, um, I beat Yukari in the past year.

And Suwako shortly afterward :getdown:

Drake

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:05 AM »
We also log personal events?

But watching at this threads title i thought it's about "what happened to you touhouwise in a past year?" Maybe let's discuss it? :wikipedia:
On a personal level, I've only been playing for a little more than a year so... I guess everything I've done along the way? Maybe all that 90fps silliness, but there's been lots of fun stuff I did in the realm of Touhou other than that.
The Ten Desires demo was released just about one year ago, and it marked the first time I seriously got into scoring a non-SA game. I also achieved perfect runs of some of Touhou's toughest Lunatic stages to do so on (PCB Stage 6, MoF Stage 4, things like that), and threw in some high-quality no-bombing runs like MoF and SA.

????

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 05:43:07 AM »
for me

- Touhou is Harder's placement in STGT and the lots of fun had during it (I hope more players appear for STGT '12)
- every time there's a Touhou tournament on this forum, because I usually don't play much Touhou shmups outside of the tournaments due to disliking graze and having bad memorization for optimizing stages (and having lots of other interests and/or games to play as well.. which often leads to procrastination :p)
- can't remember anything else Touhou-related, besides Phantasmagoria Trues being released either in 2011 or 2010 (the latest version seems to be from this year, though.. unless my memory is buggy again).
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
Other than Ten Desires, I'd agree about ZUN getting married. Even if it doesn't end up changing the community, knowing the guy found ~*True Love*~ leaves a fuzzy feeling inside.

Personally, I conquered my demons, followed my stubborn heart and finished my years-long obsession with Touhou, finally putting all challenges to rest. I think that was fairly notable.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »
The only noteworthy things that have happened in the past ~year.

EoSD:
2011/08/25 - Current world record of 660,795,610 is set by OOSAKA using Marisa B on Extra.

PCB:
2011/03/07 - Current world record of 3,106,846,720 is set by HS参謀 using Sakuya B on Lunatic.

IN
2011/12/14 - Current world record of 6,413,387,450 is set by YASU using Youmu Solo on Lunatic via Final B.

MoF
2011/11/18 - Current world record of 2,208,136,680 is set by LYX using Marisa C on Lunatic.

SA
2012/03/13 - Current world record of 4,745,957,920 is set by UKT using Reimu A on Lunatic.

UFO
2011/09/03 - Current world record of 3,063,788,870 is set by shin using Marisa A on Hard.

FW
2011/04/12 - Current world record of 110,063,180 is set by wakaba via route A-2 on Lunatic.

TD
2011/12/28 - Current world record of 3,583,774,310 is set by NSHN using Youmu on Lunatic.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:32:02 AM by Naut »

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
The only noteworthy things that have happened in the past ~year.

Lol, somebody likes scoring XD
Current Goals: Clear all games on hard with every shottype (or team, not all solos in IN)

Remaining: EoSD 0, PCB 3, IN 0, MoF 3 (Marisa B doesn't count), SA 4, UFO all B types, TD Youmu, total 14.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 03:49:59 AM »
Not sure if note-worthy, but in terms of Doujin games, these are my top 3:

Tasogare Frontier's game DynaMarisa 3D seems like a good contender, with a 3rd Person Shooter genre (something a few ventured into in terms of doujin gameplay)

Area Zero's Touhou Sky Arena, a 3D Fighting game. Fairly short, but has good replay value. Waiting for the Kurenai patch.

Youyou Kengeki Musou, great platformer game starring Youmu. Short, but great.

Would have added Koumajou Densetsu 2, but it came out in 2010, though a new version, or premium pack (of 1 & 2) did come out last year, but the changes are minimal (KD1 added voices)