Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 47271 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #900 on: July 11, 2012, 02:55:59 AM »
>"Remarkable. Yeah. Maybe you should tell her to put it to good use, instead of preying on people. And you should think about keeping better company."

>Karu gives you a slightly puzzled look. "I should think about-" Then something seems to click and her face turns into an offended scowl. "That's a little rude, you know!"

« Reply #901 on: July 11, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »
>"Call it my way of helping you, in return for you helping me."
>Gesture to the pirates still offloading their booty, and point to our leg.
>"This is what Aya does. And I'm inclined to believe this isn't what you want to do."

« Reply #902 on: July 11, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »
>"Call it my way of helping you, in return for you helping me."
>Gesture to the pirates still offloading their booty, and point to our leg.
>"This is what Aya does. And I'm inclined to believe this isn't what you want to do."

>Karu stares at you through narrowed eyes.
>You gesture to the remaining pirates and then to your leg.
>"This was just a very unfortunate misunderstanding," Karu says firmly. "That's all."

« Reply #903 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
>Sigh. She's as bad as the rest of them.
>"Believe that if you want."

« Reply #904 on: July 12, 2012, 11:42:11 PM »
>Sigh. She's as bad as the rest of them.
>"Believe that if you want."

>"She's not a bad person," Karu insists. "No matter what you think." Then her head darts to the side a moment. "Oh, that isn't fair," she says petulantly.

« Reply #905 on: July 13, 2012, 01:27:35 AM »
>Venture a guess, "One of your... companion spirits agrees with me?"

« Reply #906 on: July 13, 2012, 01:33:14 AM »
>Venture a guess, "One of your... companion spirits agrees with me?"

>She glances back at you, a sort of distracted and surprised look on her face. "Oh, um... not exactly." Then she shakes her head. "Never mind, it's nothing. And don't make assumptions like that! She's been nothing but kind to me."

« Reply #907 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39:19 AM »
>"I think this is between you two. I'll leave you two alone, if you'd like."

« Reply #908 on: July 13, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »
>"I think this is between you two. I'll leave you two alone, if you'd like."

>"Oh, don't worry about that," she replies, stopping just shy of rolling her eyes. "But I'm afraid anything else I could do for you would take some time and preparation. I'm still willing, of course, but..."

« Reply #909 on: July 13, 2012, 01:50:09 AM »
>"Yeah. Your friends are leaving. And me and mine have to clean up the mess they left behind."

« Reply #910 on: July 13, 2012, 02:01:02 AM »
>"Yeah. Your friends are leaving. And me and mine have to clean up the mess they left behind."

>"I'm sure they'd help out with that if they were welcome, but..." she trails off again, looking furtively in Murasa's direction. "I guess that's not likely, is it?"
>She holds Kumokirimaru up and slowly turns the blade, the sun glinting brightly off its polished surface. Her expression is wistful. "It would be nice to have this around a little while longer, really. Um, not that I'm suggesting we'd take it!" she hastily adds. "But... you're sure you don't want to come with us for a bit? I'm sure they'd be willing to drop you off wherever you were going afterward."

« Reply #911 on: July 13, 2012, 02:07:08 AM »
>Reclaim our sword, and sheathe it.
>"No chance."

« Reply #912 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:22 AM »
>Reclaim our sword, and sheathe it.
>"No chance."

>You reach to reclaim Kumokirimaru and give Karu your decisive answer.
>Karu sags. "Ah, well...."
>She relinquishes her grip on your weapon, then halfheartedly claps her hands together. The remaining talisman on your sword leaps free. "Okay, come on back."
>The inscribed slip of paper flits back towards her as if propelled by a favorable breeze. Karu holds a hand out to collect it, but the wind seems to send it spiraling aside just before it would have landed in her palm. She grimaces.
>"Stop trying to make a point!"

« Reply #913 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:54 AM »
>Maybe her spirits realize she's on the wrong side, too. Pity she didn't listen, if that be the case.
>Go back to where we were sitting before, and plop down again.

« Reply #914 on: July 13, 2012, 04:16:50 AM »
>Maybe her spirits realize she's on the wrong side, too. Pity she didn't listen, if that be the case.
>Go back to where we were sitting before, and plop down again.

>Who's to say? You're not sure how much of a personality those things are even supposed to have.
>As Karu struggles to snatch her charm out of the air, you return to your spot by the rotor strut and flop back down - that isn't going to stop being a joy to do that until your leg heals, you expect. Murasa gives a curt nod in your direction, then turns her steely gaze to the last of the remaining pirates. Aya smiles back at her.

>It doesn't take long now for things to wrap up. Neu returns to the deck with a pair of tengu in tow; she looks quite weary, but still on her feet. Aya darts over in their direction and the four of them exchange a few very procedural remarks, then Aya thanks Neu for her cooperation and sends the other two tengu back to their ship with Karu slung between them. Then with a bright expression on her face, she takes to the air above middeck.
>"I think this is where we part ways, then," she says, with just a little grandeur to her bearing. "It's been a pleasure. I'll miss the stories I never got to hear, but that's life sometimes. And if any of you ever change your mind, just ask after me. Somewhere, anywhere, it doesn't matter that much - I'll get wind of it, don't you worry. Until then!"
>And with that, she turns and swoops towards the Skyfang at impressive speed, the wind itself seeming to thrust her towards her destination.

>"Be a pleasure to see you fly into a rock, maybe...." Murasa mutters. Neu slowly makes her way over towards her.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #915 on: July 13, 2012, 04:20:59 AM »
>We may as well allow ourselves a few choice mutterings ourselves. "Lousy bird..."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #916 on: July 13, 2012, 05:24:41 AM »
>We may as well allow ourselves a few choice mutterings ourselves. "Lousy bird..."

>You grumble a little more in the pirate's general direction as you see Aya touch down deftly upon the deck of her flagship and immediately set to giving orders. The ship's bearing starts to shift, angling away from the Maiden. The other ship follows suit.

>"How bad was it?" Murasa asks, walking towards the injured and weary moth.
>"About as bad as expected," Neu replies. "But she kept her word to the letter. I can have an updated manifest to you by the evening." Her words are lethargic and grey, as though she had little life in her to give them.
>Murasa shakes her head. "It can wait. What we've got on board isn't gonna change between here and Val Razua and I'd rather just get the hell away from this damn place."
>"There are few enough serious injuries among the crew that we can probably keep close to normal duty shifts," Neu says. "We'll be light-handed, but only just. Of course, there's still the issue of cleanup, to say nothing of morale."
>Murasa nods. "Ishi's already back at the engine room, probably angrily patching up that hole they ripped in the hidey-hole. And probably half the access shaft around it, from the way that rabbit told it."
>Neu actually cringes at this. "I think I may give her a wide berth for the rest of the trip."
>Murasa chuckles and shakes her head. "Might be safest. Gonna need to patch that thing up, though." She jerks her head towards the damaged rotor casing. Neu regards it with a sage frown.

« Reply #917 on: July 13, 2012, 05:32:54 AM »
>Stand up, and take a couple steps in the direction of the retreating theives.
>"What happened to that third ship of theirs? I knew you did a number on it, but, wouldn't they have... towed it off, or dragged it off, or something? I didn't think it had gone down completely."

« Reply #918 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:27 AM »
>Stand up, and take a couple steps in the direction of the retreating theives.
>"What happened to that third ship of theirs? I knew you did a number on it, but, wouldn't they have... towed it off, or dragged it off, or something? I didn't think it had gone down completely."

>You stand up and take a few steps towards the deck railing as the two tengu vessels pull further away from it.
>"Hell if I know," Murasa says.
>"It may only be salvage at this point, as I understand it," Neu says. "But they did save it from plummeting below, so I assume they must have towed it to one of the nearby islands. It's certainly not skyworthy at the moment."
>"And they'll have a hell of a job fixing that out here, if it really is in two pieces."

« Reply #919 on: July 13, 2012, 06:12:23 AM »
>"Why not salvage it yourself? It's gotta have parts aboard we could use for our own repairs, maybe somethings to recoup what the pirates stole. They stole your stuff, why not return the favor?"

« Reply #920 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:05 AM »
>"Why not salvage it yourself? It's gotta have parts aboard we could use for our own repairs, maybe somethings to recoup what the pirates stole. They stole your stuff, why not return the favor?"

>"I doubt they intend to simply leave without it." Neu says.
>Murasa shrugs. "Much as I've love to do that to 'em, she's right. They're not gonna leave it there for scavengers to clean up."

« Reply #921 on: July 13, 2012, 06:22:11 AM »
>Huff out a breath. "Yeah... Still, it was a thought."
>"Well, at least you can say you gave 'em hell, captain. And one less pirate ship means the skies'll be a bit safer for everyone else, at least for a while. Might makes the rest of 'em think twice before trying to pirate anyone else."
>Status check. Do we feel alive and healthy enough to be useful in repairs right away, or do we require more rest to be truly useful?

« Reply #922 on: July 13, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »
>Huff out a breath. "Yeah... Still, it was a thought."
>"Well, at least you can say you gave 'em hell, captain. And one less pirate ship means the skies'll be a bit safer for everyone else, at least for a while. Might makes the rest of 'em think twice before trying to pirate anyone else."
>Status check. Do we feel alive and healthy enough to be useful in repairs right away, or do we require more rest to be truly useful?

>Murasa stares at the retreating profile of the Skyfang as it streaks imperiously into the distance, a sleek predator in search of its next meal. "Don't know about that, somehow...."
>You still aren't in great shape - a combination of injuries and simple fatigue - but you suppose you're intact enough to be useful in some non-strenuous capacity, if you wanted to be. Of course, your body would much rather you just kick back and not ask anything of it for a while. You're suspect you're not the only one; Neu looks practically dead on her feet.

« Reply #923 on: July 13, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »
>Glance at Neu, then at us, then back at Murasa.
>"Either way, they're not our problem anymore. Let them crawl back to whatever hole they came out of for a while."

« Reply #924 on: July 13, 2012, 06:58:07 AM »
>Glance at Neu, then at us, then back at Murasa.
>"Either way, they're not our problem anymore. Let them crawl back to whatever hole they came out of for a while."

>"I'll drink to that," Murasa says. "We can worry about the other stuff tomorrow."

« Reply #925 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »
>"My leg'll drink to that. I know I'll be more useful after some more solid rest."
>If they don't object, retire to our quarters to leg our wounds heal, and rest.

« Reply #926 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »
>"My leg'll drink to that. I know I'll be more useful after some more solid rest."
>If they don't object, retire to our quarters to leg our wounds heal, and rest.

>"Go on," Murasa says, jerking her head towards the stairs. "There'll still be stuff to do once you're feeling more lively - not going to say no to a spare hand at a time like this. But don't you worry; now that the ship's ours again, we'll still make Val Razua soon enough."

>You make your way leisurely back to your quarters as Murasa and Neu head down to the hold to release the rest of the crew. It's good to lie down again, though you find yourself less sleepy than earlier. Still, you don't find yourself too motivated to get up and move as you hear the ship come back to life around you, sailors fanning out above deck and below. You already bled for them today; you've earned your time off, you think.
>Despite their injuries and the lingering defeat in the air, they're remarkably swift and efficient at taking charge of the situation. Damage is assessed, cleanup duties are prioritized and distributed and you hear orders ring out from one end of the ship to the other. Before long, you also hear Chisato rise painfully from her bed only to be intercepted by Miyuki before she can even leave her room and sent sternly back again. The redhead rails against this, of course, but Miyuki is absolutely unyielding and eventually Chisato gives up with a grumble and returns to bed. You can hear her swearing under her breath afterward, seemingly at no one in particular.

>Not long after this, Miyuki pays you a visit, a crutch under one arm and first aid supplies in the other. You contemplate protesting, but decide that this would be as much a waste of breath for you as it was for Chisato and simply let her do what she wants. The antiseptic stings and is probably unnecessary for you, but it seems to make Miyuki feel better, so you grin and bear it without too much complaint. It is nice to have your wounds cleaned up better than your hasty toweling accomplished earlier, though, and you're not about to say no to the bandages. Miyuki herself looks remarkably spirited again and studiously focused; if you didn't know better, you would never have suspected that only an hour ago she was a prisoner on her own ship, but you can't help wondering if she's simply keeping busy to avoid dwelling on it. Her eyes linger just a little on the edges of a Blight mark that becomes exposed while she works and you think you see something darker tug at the edge of her expression for a moment, but it passes quickly. You don't bother to press the issue.

>Once Miyuki is satisfied with your condition, she excuses herself and heads towards the galley. More time passes. Eventually the boredom of remaining sedentary grows to outweigh the irritation of moving, and you drag yourself out of bed in the hope of doing something useful. The hallway doesn't look much tidier than it did the last time you saw it, but you suppose the crew's had other priorities than getting bloodstains out of wood. If you had to pick between that and fixing the engine... The biggest tripping hazards seem to be cleared away, at least.
>_

« Reply #927 on: July 14, 2012, 02:26:31 AM »
>Well, now that we can be more than just a pretty face, let's go above decks. Find Murasa or Neu, see where we can be the most useful.

« Reply #928 on: July 14, 2012, 04:19:01 AM »
>Well, now that we can be more than just a pretty face, let's go above decks. Find Murasa or Neu, see where we can be the most useful.

>You make your way back above deck, testing the stability of your now-bandaged leg as you go. You actually think it's a decent bit better already; it still hurts a bit, of course, but you don't think it'll get in the way of anything short of spontaneous acrobatics.

>The situation on deck is somewhat different than the last time you were up here and, encouragingly, a lot close to how it's supposed to be. Everyone present is someone who belongs here, and there's not a single person who doesn't. You suppose you're the closest thing to that, actually, though you figure you've also earned your passage twice over now. Still, may as well go for three....
>The deck is still somewhat of a mess, though more effort has been given to cleanup here than below; the surface has been swept and mopped, and while you can still smell the remnants of blood streaking the wood, it's hard to see it now. The pile of splinters left by Chisato's last spell have also been removed, though the places where the deck itself sustained damage are still unchanged. Well, you suppose that would probably require tearing planks out and laying down new ones, so it's no wonder they've been left the way they are.
>There are several crew members spread around area, performing watch or other regular maintenance and repair tasks. You think you can spot Murasa in the wheelhouse, though it's hard to see at this angle. And is that... Ishi up there by the damaged rotor? Yes, you suppose she is the only blue-haired midget onboard who's foolish enough to be doing... whatever it is she's doing. She seems to be entangled in some sort of unreassuring-looking harness contraption, hanging a considerable distance above the deck and only a very short one below the rotor itself. Which is still spinning, it should be noted. There appears to be about one pocket of turbulence standing between her and a very comprehensive haircut. Even youkai tend to still have need of their heads.

« Reply #929 on: July 14, 2012, 04:22:30 AM »
>Is there... anyone manning that harness rig, anyone with a safety line or anything, or are people leaving that kappa to her own devices?