Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 47289 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #870 on: July 09, 2012, 05:23:05 AM »
>No sign of anything going pear shaped from the caster? Good then.
>About how far away are we from the sword now?

>Karu still seems to have her eyes closed, and there is a look of intent concentration on them.
>Probably only about four feet.

« Reply #871 on: July 09, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »
>Let's go to six and a hair, and see if the human reacts.

« Reply #872 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:06 AM »
>Let's go to six and a hair, and see if the human reacts.

>You move another couple feet out. There is no reaction from either Karu or your own body, as best you can tell.

« Reply #873 on: July 09, 2012, 05:27:17 AM »
>Mutter, "This is unbelievable..."
>To Karu, "Anything change?"

« Reply #874 on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:19 AM »
>Mutter, "This is unbelievable..."
>To Karu, "Anything change?"

>"What was that?" Karu asks, tilting her ear towards you slightly.
>"Everything seems fine," she says.

« Reply #875 on: July 09, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »
>"Yeah, no change here, either."
>"So, now that there's a... bit of distance between me and it, can you tell me if you've learned, well, whatever you were checking?"

« Reply #876 on: July 09, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
>"Yeah, no change here, either."
>"So, now that there's a... bit of distance between me and it, can you tell me if you've learned, well, whatever you were checking?"

>"That's good," she says with a smile.
>"Well, even further would be better, but... Well, I wanted to see if there was some sort of sympathetic connection between the sword and you. And, well, I'm sort of thinking that there isn't, now. I suppose this doesn't rule it out, but..." She gives you a sheepish look. "Want to try going to the end of the deck?"

« Reply #877 on: July 09, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »
>How far away would that be?
>More importantly, how many tengu are between us and there?

« Reply #878 on: July 09, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
>How far away would that be?
>More importantly, how many tengu are between us and there?

>Maybe 30 or 40 feet.
>Only one or two besides Aya and Hatoko.

« Reply #879 on: July 09, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
>Well, don't let it be said we aren't.... accomodating.
>Head towards the end of the deck, but cautiously, just in case.
>When we get about... oh, another 8 feet or so away from her, assuming nothing goes wrong between there and now, turn and ask, "Is this good enough?"

« Reply #880 on: July 09, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
>Well, don't let it be said we aren't.... accomodating.
>Head towards the end of the deck, but cautiously, just in case.
>When we get about... oh, another 8 feet or so away from her, assuming nothing goes wrong between there and now, turn and ask, "Is this good enough?"

>You head cautiously towards the end of the deck, keeping a very close eye on your inner state. This still feels a bit like taking a walk off a cliff, but somehow you don't seem to be falling. That's one foot... and another... and another...
>After doubling the distance between you and Karu, you stop and ask her if this is far enough.
>Karu sighs. "I guess it'll do."

« Reply #881 on: July 09, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
>We'll give her another step backwards, then wait for her to do... whatever it is she's doing.

« Reply #882 on: July 09, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
>We'll give her another step backwards, then wait for her to do... whatever it is she's doing.

>You take another step away and then wait for Karu to do her thing. Whatever it is.
>It isn't clear at first if she's even doing anything at all, besides looking at you expectantly. Then she moves Kumokirimaru slowly through the air, turning it around gently, almost as if she were testing the heft of it. The subtle awkwardness of the gesture makes it plain that she's no swordsman, though. She closes her eyes and repeats the gesture, holding the fingers of her other hand in a seal before her face. You hear muttered words and see her lips move faintly, then she is still for a moment. She sighs.
>"Nothing?"

« Reply #883 on: July 10, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »
>Do we feel any different?
>Inform her of our status.
>If we still feel fine, "I still feel fine, if more distance will help."

« Reply #884 on: July 10, 2012, 01:23:18 AM »
>Do we feel any different?
>Inform her of our status.
>If we still feel fine, "I still feel fine, if more distance will help."

>Not that you can tell.
>As you inform Karu of this, she shakes her head and calls out: "Sorry, that wasn't meant for you! And you can come on back, if you'd like!"

« Reply #885 on: July 10, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
>Return to the side of the caster.
>"So... How'd it go?"

« Reply #886 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:41 AM »
>Return to the side of the caster.
>"So... How'd it go?"

>You make your way back over to Karu, who is examining your sword with a sort of frown.
>"Well, good news for you," she says without turning her gaze in your direction. "And bad news for me. Well, I suppose that's also bad news for you, isn't it?" She gestures with her free hand, almost idly, and the charm on your head leaps free and drifts gently back into her palm. She slips it back into her robe and turns to face you.
>"The good news is that you're not going to die if you step away from this. The bad news is that I don't know how to tap into it and make it do any more than it's doing on its own. If there really was a link between the two of you, I might have been able to work with that, but nope, and the power inside it doesn't seem to respond to the usual methods. Not that I mightn't be able to come up with something if I had time to work on it!" she hastily adds. "But I don't think my ride can wait a few days."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #887 on: July 10, 2012, 02:30:12 AM »
>Nod. "At least you helped clear some things up about it. So it isn't too bad I guess."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #888 on: July 10, 2012, 02:41:34 AM »
>"Did you get any idea as to what kind of faith is in this thing? Like, what kind of god it could be connected to?"

« Reply #889 on: July 10, 2012, 03:00:24 AM »
>Nod. "At least you helped clear some things up about it. So it isn't too bad I guess."

>"Well, I suppose," she says, not looking entirely satisfied.

>"Did you get any idea as to what kind of faith is in this thing? Like, what kind of god it could be connected to?"

>She shakes her head. "I'm not even certain it is. I can't feel a spirit manifested in it or a link to something external that could have created it. But there is something about the... feel of it that's sort of similar. At least, as far as I can tell. But if this really is a work of faith, then you'd probably be better off asking a Shintoist. If I had to guess, I'd say there's at least a chance one of them might be able to do something with it. Like I said, the power in this sword is ancient. It's still strong, but after all those years there's a chance it might be a little..." She frowns. "Well, this is kinda imprecise, but let's say 'napping'. And, well, that means someone might be able to wake it up a little. But it would probably need to be someone who can speak its language, and they'd have to be good. And maybe that whole theory's totally wrong - I don't know." She looks a little sheepish.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #890 on: July 10, 2012, 03:03:12 AM »
>Nod. "That actually helps quite a bit, I know more about this sword than when I first started on this trip at least."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #891 on: July 10, 2012, 03:16:30 AM »
>Nod again.
>"And more of a direction, as well. I knew that finding someone well versed in 'faith' issues was an idea for a possible answer, but nothing specific. A Shintoist is a lot more specific."

« Reply #892 on: July 10, 2012, 04:20:33 AM »
>Nod. "That actually helps quite a bit, I know more about this sword than when I first started on this trip at least."

>"Well, I was hoping I'd be able to do a little more than that..." She takes another look at you, then glances around the deck. The pirate presence has thinned considerably by now, and Murasa returns her glance with a positively icy stare. "I actually wish I had longer to work on this. It's not every day you get your hands on something this snazzy. Even if it's a bit outside my area, I'm sure there's something I could learn from it." She pauses, then grimaces slightly. "Yes, yes, I know." This remark somehow does not appear directed at you.

>Nod again.
>"And more of a direction, as well. I knew that finding someone well versed in 'faith' issues was an idea for a possible answer, but nothing specific. A Shintoist is a lot more specific."

>"This feels like their work, is all I can say. It's hard to put into words if you haven't studied the art yourself, but trust me on that."

« Reply #893 on: July 10, 2012, 04:32:16 AM »
>Are we familiar with the concept of shikigami, or companion/familiar spirits in general?

« Reply #894 on: July 10, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »
>Are we familiar with the concept of shikigami, or companion/familiar spirits in general?

>You know of shikigami, in that they are minor spirits or youkai bound to the service of another through some sort of contract, though you're sure many of the details of this elude you. You've certainly seen familiars of a sort - at least that's what Marisa called some of the orbiting globes of light you've seen her conjure up, though those never seemed alive to you - but there are probably fine differences between what different schools of magic mean when they say that, anyway. Some of the paper forms that Karu has been using do resemble the archetypal shikigami you've heard described, though you've never seen them in action before; this particular brand of mysticism is a bit exotic around Estval.

« Reply #895 on: July 10, 2012, 05:27:06 AM »
>Reasonable assumption that's who she's talking to, then.
>"I.. don't suppose you'd know of one I could talk to in Val Razua, or nearabouts, would you?"

« Reply #896 on: July 10, 2012, 05:37:30 AM »
>Reasonable assumption that's who she's talking to, then.
>"I.. don't suppose you'd know of one I could talk to in Val Razua, or nearabouts, would you?"

>It does seem reasonable, yes.
>Karu offers you an apologetic look. "Sorry, no... I'm actually not from around here." Then she brightens up. "Aya might, though!"

« Reply #897 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:52 AM »
>Make a sour face. "Yeah, I'll bet she would."

« Reply #898 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »
>Make a sour face. "Yeah, I'll bet she would."

>"She's extremely well-informed on all sorts of matters," Karu says with a sage nod, either ignoring or overlooking your reaction entirely. "It's a bit remarkable, actually."

« Reply #899 on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:32 AM »
>"Remarkable. Yeah. Maybe you should tell her to put it to good use, instead of preying on people. And you should think about keeping better company."