Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 47294 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #810 on: July 08, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »
>Blow at it

>You blow at the drifting talisman and set it spiraling off course, though by a lot less than you'd expect; it's almost as though the paper is twisting with the wind so that it ends up following something close to its original course. It manages to make this look like chance actions of the breeze, but you have your doubts. It's also probably still going to brush against the side of your head, even if it misses your face.

« Reply #811 on: July 08, 2012, 01:19:52 AM »
>Magic.
>Well, we're in for it now. If it's harmful, we couldn't stop her doing it anyway. If it isn't, well, one less thing to worry about.

« Reply #812 on: July 08, 2012, 02:09:07 AM »
>Magic.
>Well, we're in for it now. If it's harmful, we couldn't stop her doing it anyway. If it isn't, well, one less thing to worry about.

>It does seem so.
>You decide that it's going to land on you one way or another, so you may as well just get it over with. And indeed, you feel the edge of the paper touch against the side of your head as it flutters past. It seems to stick there, almost as if it were tangled on something. Karu frowns in concentration. Somewhat further away, you see Murasa look in your direction and frown as well. She takes a step towards you while Ishi, apparently free at last, rubs her wrists and stretches sore limbs.

>"What's going on over here, anyway?" Murasa asks, giving the whole scene a dubious look.
>"Shhh!" Karu says.

« Reply #813 on: July 08, 2012, 02:20:25 AM »
>Shrug slightly with our left arm.
>Can we be exorcised like ghosts can? Because that would be bad. More specifically, do ghosts and youkai have any commonalities in that regard, that we are aware of?

« Reply #814 on: July 08, 2012, 03:01:16 AM »
>Shrug slightly with our left arm.
>Can we be exorcised like ghosts can? Because that would be bad. More specifically, do ghosts and youkai have any commonalities in that regard, that we are aware of?

>You give a little shrug with your free arm. Murasa continues to watch the pair of you with a wary expression, but doesn't immediately say anything else.
>You don't... think so. At least not in quite the same way - your connection to the physical world is much more concrete than theirs. But youkai do share with ghosts a susceptibility to spiritual attacks and can sustain great damage from them, even where a human would shrug off the very same thing. Of course, you're a lot more resilient against mundane injuries, and those tend to be far more common.... But now that you think on it, you  wouldn't be at all surprised if Karu had some anti-youkai techniques in her repertoire, but your life has already been effectively in these pirates' hands for a while, so you suppose this isn't really any worse.

>The look of focus on Karu's face deepens. She holds her free hand up to her face and makes a seal with it, and then another. She seems to be chanting something under her breath, but the sounds don't mean anything to you - a mantra of some sort, maybe? You feel your head start to tingle oddly where the paper touches it. It isn't really an unpleasant sensation, though you find yourself feeling just a little bit guarded after your last train of thought. But nothing worse seems to happen; the tingling intensifies a but, but never becomes painful, and the rest of you feels the same as before.
>"Well, that's interesting..." Karu eventually says, then pauses a moment. "Try letting go of the sword. Just a little."

« Reply #815 on: July 08, 2012, 03:05:26 AM »
>Give her a flat look.
>"You're joking, right."

« Reply #816 on: July 08, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »
>Give her a flat look.
>"You're joking, right."

>You give her a flat look, though this seems to be lost on her with her eyes still closed.
>"No, not at all," she says. "I actually don't think it'll do you any harm, believe it or not. And if it does, you can always just pick it back up again, right?"

« Reply #817 on: July 08, 2012, 03:13:21 AM »
>"You're asking too much. I barely have time enough left- less now, thanks to you lot- and now you're asking me to trust one of the people that ambushed us with something like this?"

« Reply #818 on: July 08, 2012, 03:15:19 AM »
>"You're asking too much. I barely have time enough left- less now, thanks to you lot- and now you're asking me to trust one of the people that ambushed us with something like this?"

>Karu opens her eyes and frowns at you. "Well, I didn't ambush you. And I'm not trying to hurt you, either."

« Reply #819 on: July 08, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »
>"You're on their side. Your word doesn't carry a lot of weight. For all I know, Aya got you to do this as payback on me for throwing her bribe offer back in her face."

« Reply #820 on: July 08, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »
>"You're on their side. Your word doesn't carry a lot of weight. For all I know, Aya got you to do this as payback on me for throwing her bribe offer back in her face."

>Her frown deepens. "You really think she'd do that?"

« Reply #821 on: July 08, 2012, 03:25:03 AM »
>"Why shouldn't she? Maybe she just wants to see what'll happen to me when this blight kicks into overdrive."
>"You want me to trust you? Give me a reason. And the word of theives isn't good enough."

« Reply #822 on: July 08, 2012, 03:31:36 AM »
>"Why shouldn't she? Maybe she just wants to see what'll happen to me when this blight kicks into overdrive."
>"You want me to trust you? Give me a reason. And the word of theives isn't good enough."

>"That's a pretty awful thing to think of someone..." She actually looks a little unsettled, imagining this.
>Karu pauses. "If you've already said you won't believe me, what can I even say? I don't want to hurt you, Aya doesn't want to hurt you, and even if she did, she could have done it without any of this." She gestures vaguely to herself and the talismans she threw. "But I suppose you can hold onto it, and we can leave it at that."

« Reply #823 on: July 08, 2012, 03:39:07 AM »
>Let out a long breath. Should have stayed in Braston...
>"All right. Let's start with this. Tell me why, exactly, you think it's safe for me to let go of my sword now. Have you cured me?"

« Reply #824 on: July 08, 2012, 03:45:26 AM »
>Let out a long breath. Should have stayed in Braston...
>"All right. Let's start with this. Tell me why, exactly, you think it's safe for me to let go of my sword now. Have you cured me?"

>This certainly hasn't turned into the trip you'd imagined, to say the very least.
>She shakes her head. "I haven't done anything to you at all. But that power that's in your sword? Well, there's some of it in you, too. And I don't think it's coming from holding it, or there should be some in me, too, and there isn't. So I wanted to see for sure."

« Reply #825 on: July 08, 2012, 04:07:59 AM »
>Think back to what Minoriko said....
>Wait a second, that might be because of the medicine. It was grown from the power of the sword, after all. But then, Minoriko and Ichirin said we didn't show improvement before we had both... didn't she?
>"Believe it or not, I've actually asked that question before, to the goddess who told me about the blight. She said she didn't think that it was possible to internalize that power, unless someone who was especially....."
>Oh, cheese. "Someone in tune with spirituality.", she said. Thief or not, that's this one. That's what onmyouji do.

« Reply #826 on: July 08, 2012, 04:34:34 AM »
>Think back to what Minoriko said....
>Wait a second, that might be because of the medicine. It was grown from the power of the sword, after all. But then, Minoriko and Ichirin said we didn't show improvement before we had both... didn't she?
>"Believe it or not, I've actually asked that question before, to the goddess who told me about the blight. She said she didn't think that it was possible to internalize that power, unless someone who was especially....."
>Oh, cheese. "Someone in tune with spirituality.", she said. Thief or not, that's this one. That's what onmyouji do.

>You think back on what Minoriko said to you those distant few days ago and then ponder the possibility that what Karu's sensed in you might have something do to with her medicine. Well, it seems possible, anyway.
>Karu gives you an inquisitive look. "Especially what?"
>To your own great annoyance, it occurs to you that Karu might be just the kind of person Minoriko spoke of back then. The implication doesn't sit entirely well with you.

« Reply #827 on: July 08, 2012, 04:37:34 AM »
>"... espcially adept at spiritual matters."

« Reply #828 on: July 08, 2012, 04:39:26 AM »
>"... espcially adept at spiritual matters."

>Karu frowns uncertainly. "But that's not you, is it? Or has someone else already had a go at you?"

« Reply #829 on: July 08, 2012, 04:41:37 AM »
>"No. No, that's not me, I'm nowhere near what you'd call a spiritual person. No, I think she meant an onmyouji, or a priest, someone like that."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #830 on: July 08, 2012, 04:45:01 AM »
>"In other words..." Gesture towards her as we say this.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2012, 05:05:20 AM »
>"No. No, that's not me, I'm nowhere near what you'd call a spiritual person. No, I think she meant an onmyouji, or a priest, someone like that."
>"In other words..." Gesture towards her as we say this.

>"Me?" She looks a little confused. "But I didn't do any of this. However you internalized the sword's power - if that's even what's going on - couldn't have had anything to do with me, at least."

(Incidentally, it's nice to know that someone else still reads this thing ^^;)

« Reply #832 on: July 08, 2012, 05:13:11 AM »
>"It might be the medicine she made for me. This goddess' speciality lies in plants, and she was able to grow some seeds grown in soil that this sword was stuck in. The sword's power was absorbed into the seeds, and she made a medicine for me from them."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #833 on: July 08, 2012, 05:14:04 AM »
(Sour's been doing a good job of things so far, so I was leaving things up to him.)

>Stare at the sword with a somewhat puzzled look. "Besides, I'm no spiritualist y'know, I'm just some seeker."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #834 on: July 08, 2012, 05:19:55 AM »
>"It might be the medicine she made for me. This goddess' speciality lies in plants, and she was able to grow some seeds grown in soil that this sword was stuck in. The sword's power was absorbed into the seeds, and she made a medicine for me from them."

>"Ooohh! That might do it!" she says with a smiling nod. "An interesting idea, actually..." You can practically see her making a mental note.

>Stare at the sword with a somewhat puzzled look. "Besides, I'm no spiritualist y'know, I'm just some seeker."

>"I didn't think so," she says, then hastily adds "No offense intended! It's just that youkai have a hard time working with spiritual powers that aren't part of their intrinsic nature; it's a rare thing to see. But I'm afraid this sword is a bit outside of my own domain, too."

(Sour's been doing a good job of things so far, so I was leaving things up to him.)

Fair enough. Nice to see you again, though.

« Reply #835 on: July 08, 2012, 05:29:01 AM »
>"None taken."
>"I got the impression, though, that the medicine was supposed to work with the sword, but she wasn't explicit on that point."
>"The... power, faith, whatever it is, that's inside me. Can you tell if it's... diminishing, degrading?"

« Reply #836 on: July 08, 2012, 05:44:55 AM »
>"None taken."
>"I got the impression, though, that the medicine was supposed to work with the sword, but she wasn't explicit on that point."
>"The... power, faith, whatever it is, that's inside me. Can you tell if it's... diminishing, degrading?"

>"Not quickly, anyway," she says. "Long-term, I don't know; I couldn't even really guess without observing it for longer. If it is from that medicine, I'd expect it would have a shorter shelf-life, but who knows?" A bright smile comes over her face. "That sword is ancient. I'm sure of it. And the power inside it is still intact and strong; it's an incredible piece of work, really. If its power has remained for so long, then maybe the bits of it that rub off on other things would last a long time, too? I don't know for sure. That's one of the reasons I asked you to let go of it for a bit: so I can see if anything inside you changes."

« Reply #837 on: July 08, 2012, 05:57:22 AM »
>Okay... Maybe this one IS on the level... Well, a thief, yes, or at least someone that supports them, but she knows her stuff here. At least, she sure seems to. She was right about the sword being ancient, and we didn't tell her how old Minoriko thought it was.
>Still, after the past couple of days, letting go of the sword.... Even if we were with someone completely trustworthy, that'd be a hell of a thing.
>"How long?"

« Reply #838 on: July 08, 2012, 06:37:54 AM »
>Okay... Maybe this one IS on the level... Well, a thief, yes, or at least someone that supports them, but she knows her stuff here. At least, she sure seems to. She was right about the sword being ancient, and we didn't tell her how old Minoriko thought it was.
>Still, after the past couple of days, letting go of the sword.... Even if we were with someone completely trustworthy, that'd be a hell of a thing.
>"How long?"

>Karu considers this a moment. "A couple seconds to start, maybe? And if anything feels like it's going wrong somehow, I'll let you know right away."

« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »
>"If anything goes wrong, I think I'll know before you."
>Still, let's not go whole hog on this god-forsaken experiment right off the bat, however competent this priestess is.
>Release our grip on the sword, then return our grip to it in a fraction of a second. Release-regrip. Then gauge the result.