Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 47275 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #630 on: July 01, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »
>Note to self: Girl can't take a compliment after pirate attacks.
>"Any idea why that is? I think this might be the first time I've met a mage that didn't seem to like magic."

>"Don't let her hear you call her that," Miyuki says with a nervious frown. "And I don't know for sure. She says she's bad at it, but I think it has more to do with... well, family issues." She gives you an uncomfortable look.

« Reply #631 on: July 01, 2012, 01:57:47 AM »
>"Ahhhh, I dig. I'll keep what I saw under my ears."
>Still, if she's that uncomfortable with using her magic, using it against the pirates ain't gonna put her in a pleasant disposition. Not that she didn't have reason enough to be angry at these theives, but that might have been like insult on top of injury, to her.

« Reply #632 on: July 01, 2012, 03:07:40 AM »
>"Ahhhh, I dig. I'll keep what I saw under my ears."
>Still, if she's that uncomfortable with using her magic, using it against the pirates ain't gonna put her in a pleasant disposition. Not that she didn't have reason enough to be angry at these theives, but that might have been like insult on top of injury, to her.

>"Thanks," Miyuki says, "I appreciate it."
>The certainly seems to be no shortage of reasons for her to be ticked off about the present situation.

« Reply #633 on: July 01, 2012, 03:45:29 AM »
>"Although..."
>We are still keeping our voice down, right? Make sure we are, anyway.
>"In the event she takes it up with me, for whatever reason- her magic, I mean- are there any.... buttons, I should avoid pushing? Aside from- Well, what you just said."

« Reply #634 on: July 01, 2012, 03:50:41 AM »
>"Although..."
>We are still keeping our voice down, right? Make sure we are, anyway.
>"In the event she takes it up with me, for whatever reason- her magic, I mean- are there any.... buttons, I should avoid pushing? Aside from- Well, what you just said."

>You are still talking in a quiet tone. You suspect the tengu are far enough away not to hear much of what you're saying, and if Chisato's out like a light, then you doubt you're going to wake her this way.
>"I don't think so," Miyuki says, shaking her head. "She shouldn't fly off the handle over it or anything. It's just that it's a sore spot for her, so it'd be nice if you could be respectful of that."

« Reply #635 on: July 01, 2012, 04:59:02 AM »
>"Of course. 's why I asked; wanted to not step on any toes, if I could help it. And I appreciate the heads up, as well."

« Reply #636 on: July 01, 2012, 05:05:53 AM »
>"Of course. 's why I asked; wanted to not step on any toes, if I could help it. And I appreciate the heads up, as well."

>"Of course," she says.

« Reply #637 on: July 01, 2012, 05:27:19 AM »
>Well, still a mission to accomplish here.
>"But either way, that's for later. For now, I still have to bring some news to the captain, after I check on the rest of our crew. But, while I'm here, is there anything I can get for you?"
>Glance at the prostate Chisato, and grin slightly, "Maybe roll her so she isn't face down?"

« Reply #638 on: July 01, 2012, 05:45:44 AM »
>Well, still a mission to accomplish here.
>"But either way, that's for later. For now, I still have to bring some news to the captain, after I check on the rest of our crew. But, while I'm here, is there anything I can get for you?"
>Glance at the prostate Chisato, and grin slightly, "Maybe roll her so she isn't face down?"

>That there is.
>She considers this a moment. "Maybe a glass of water? If it's not too much hassle."
>You glance at Chisato and grin a little. She lets out another muffled snore.
>Miyuki frowns. "I'm afraid she might roll onto her back if I did that. The wound there was pretty serious..."

« Reply #639 on: July 01, 2012, 06:02:56 AM »
>"Yeah, I know. Sorry, bit of a limp joke."
>"But a spot of water's no hassle whatsoever. I'll be right back."
>Head for the mess hall for hydration for our hobbled human.
>But along the way, glance into the room where that pirate indicated another crewer was, see if it's Natsumi. If the door is closed, or our vision of the room within obscured, leave the room be until we finish our errand for Miyuki.

« Reply #640 on: July 01, 2012, 07:25:37 AM »
>"Yeah, I know. Sorry, bit of a limp joke."
>"But a spot of water's no hassle whatsoever. I'll be right back."

>"Thank you," Miyuki says.

>Head for the mess hall for hydration for our hobbled human.
>But along the way, glance into the room where that pirate indicated another crewer was, see if it's Natsumi. If the door is closed, or our vision of the room within obscured, leave the room be until we finish our errand for Miyuki.

>You exit the room and head towards the galley, pausing along the way to peek into the other room the tengu indicated. The door here is also ajar, perhaps so the pirates can keep an ear on anything suspicious their captives might be plotting. Though in this case, the occupant appears to merely be plotting a nap. You can see enough of the form lying on the bed to recognize Natsumi - she looks to be asleep, or at least resting with her eyes closed. While the question of how she got there remains, this at least answers the question of where she is. You continue onward.

>The lamp-inspecting tengu has moved quite a bit further down the hallway by now, but seems to be doing nearly the exact same thing she was doing earlier, and looking none too interested in it. Judging by the lack of deployed booby-traps along the corridor, you assume her lantern-jostling has been precisely as eventful as you'd expect it to be on any other ship. You're still not convinced this isn't liable to change at a moment's notice, but at least you don't hear any mechanisms being triggered as you walk through the vicinity. The tengu herself throws you a vaguely suspicious look when you pass her, but otherwise makes no attempt to challenge you.

>You find the galley occupied when you enter. Or rather, you hear someone rooting around in the pantry. You can't actually see them, and since you aren't necessarily in a hurry to exchange unpleasantries with yet another pirate, you choose to ignore them unless they bother to come out and speak. The contents of the kitchen have been jostled and rearranged since breakfast; most of the cupboards have been emptied, and the pots and dishes and foodstuffs they once housed are scattered around whatever space was available. The cooking area is something of an obstacle course now. Though at least one thing hasn't moved since you were last here. A lonely slice of ham sits cold and abandoned on a plate atop one of the tables; it seems Ishi never got a chance to actually finish her breakfast.
>Despite the mess, it's not difficult to locate what you need and you fill a large mug with water without incident. Whether the pirate in the room behind you thinks you're one of theirs, or is simply too busy dragging heavy sacks around to notice your presence, you frankly don't care.

« Reply #641 on: July 01, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
>This might not be the highest priority on the worry list, but, as far as we can determine, have they removed any refrigerated/perishable items from the Ishi-Cooler and left them lying about?

« Reply #642 on: July 01, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
>This might not be the highest priority on the worry list, but, as far as we can determine, have they removed any refrigerated/perishable items from the Ishi-Cooler and left them lying about?

>The Chill-o-Matic was inside the pantry, so you can't actually inspect the device itself from here. But you don't see anything lying around that should spoil quickly, at least.

« Reply #643 on: July 01, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
>Presumably we can't smell anything, either. So much the better. We'll still have to eat, after all, provided this lot doesn't steal our food. OR the Chill-o-Matic, for that matter, although given the one who made it, trying to move it could have interesting consequences.
>Head back towards Miyuki's room, but if either of the two tengu we passed are still in the hall, pause. We have a question for them.

« Reply #644 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:20 AM »
>Presumably we can't smell anything, either. So much the better. We'll still have to eat, after all, provided this lot doesn't steal our food. OR the Chill-o-Matic, for that matter, although given the one who made it, trying to move it could have interesting consequences.
>Head back towards Miyuki's room, but if either of the two tengu we passed are still in the hall, pause. We have a question for them.

>None of the kitchen smells seem out of place, at any rate. And given that Maiden's cargo at the moment, you think they'd have their hands full merely trying to steal all your food.
>You exit the galley and head back towards Miyuki. The official lighting inspector is still in the corridor, albeit another few feet along it, so you pause.

« Reply #645 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »
>Attract her attention. Politely.
>Once we have it, point with our thumb towards Natsumi's room. "Did you, by any chance, move that woman from where she was?"

« Reply #646 on: July 01, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »
>Attract her attention. Politely.
>Once we have it, point with our thumb towards Natsumi's room. "Did you, by any chance, move that woman from where she was?"

>You gesture for the tengu's attention and then ask her about Natsumi.
>She gives you a funny look, then shrugs. "Wasn't me."

« Reply #647 on: July 01, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
>"I see. Might've been your friend, then?"
>Can we hear the other one ferreting around in whichever room she was interloping in?

« Reply #648 on: July 01, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
>"I see. Might've been your friend, then?"
>Can we hear the other one ferreting around in whichever room she was interloping in?

>"Ask her if you want," she replies dismissively then gives the light another twist. Something clicks. ...oh, that was just a screw coming loose.
>You hear someone, anyway, in the room adjacent to the one you last saw that tengu enter.

« Reply #649 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
>Could have gone worse.
>But first things first. No need to keep Miyuki waiting.
>Return to her room.

« Reply #650 on: July 01, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
>Could have gone worse.
>But first things first. No need to keep Miyuki waiting.
>Return to her room.

>You figure that was less objectionable than some responses you could have gotten, but decide to return to Chisato's room first.

>Miyuki looks up as you enter with her drink and smiles. "Thank you."

« Reply #651 on: July 01, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
>"Anytime."
>Fork over the goods.

« Reply #652 on: July 01, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »
>"Anytime."
>Fork over the goods.

>You hand Miyuki the mug of water and she puts it to her lips immediately; you recognize that look of quiet joy that comes from wetting a parched throat. After a generous gulp, she lays the mug down on the table beside her.

« Reply #653 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
>"Can I getcha a refill, or you good for now?"

« Reply #654 on: July 01, 2012, 06:50:58 PM »
>"Can I getcha a refill, or you good for now?"

>"That's fine, thanks," she says gently. "You go check on the others."
>A sudden flash of realization crosses her face. "Oh! I helped Natsumi into her own bed, in case you wonder why she isn't where you left her. She was up and trying to move around when we came back down here, but could barely walk in a straight line. I told her she should just rest, and that we'd take care of things." She frowns and shakes her head sadly. "A bit of a lie, I guess. She has a really nasty-looking lump on her forehead now. I asked Hatoko to get some ice for it. She's... she seemed a little more coherent when I spoke with her, but still pretty disoriented. She must have hit herself really hard."

« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
>"Ahhh, that explains it. I saw her in another room, but I'd thought one of the pirates had moved her, for some reason. That makes me feel better."
>"I'll check in on her again, but I think she's just sleeping it off right now. Which is probably the best thing for her to be doing, too."

« Reply #656 on: July 01, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
>"Ahhh, that explains it. I saw her in another room, but I'd thought one of the pirates had moved her, for some reason. That makes me feel better."
>"I'll check in on her again, but I think she's just sleeping it off right now. Which is probably the best thing for her to be doing, too."

>Miyuki nods. "I think she'll be okay, but she'll have to go very easy on herself for a while. At least she'll probably be willing to do that, unlike some people." She throws a pointed glance in Chisato's direction.

« Reply #657 on: July 01, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
>Chuckle a low chuckle.
>Well, that's Miyuki and Chisato settled away, as best as can be expected under the circumstances. Let's go check on Natsumi.

« Reply #658 on: July 01, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
>Chuckle a low chuckle.
>Well, that's Miyuki and Chisato settled away, as best as can be expected under the circumstances. Let's go check on Natsumi.

>You chuckle a little, then say goodbye to Miyuki and go check in on Natsumi.

>Natsumi's room is less spartan than Chisato's, or at least more effort has been put into making it homey. There is a bushy potted plant in the corner of the room, looking bright and lively, and several photographs in sturdy frames adorn the walls. Natsumi herself is in several of them, along with a tall man with the same shade of raven hair and an incorrigible grin. There is also middle-aged couple bearing more than a passing resemblance - parents, maybe? A few books are piled neatly on a nightstand alongside what looks like a small glass globe with a swirl of gentle blue inside it, twisting languidly. If the pirates have gone through this room, they left things in a tidy state. In fact, you think someone must have actively straightened things up after the unplanned acrobatics the Maiden endured not long ago, or some of this should be on the floor.
>Natsumi herself is lying in bed and does appear to be asleep. There is a bundle of cloth resting on her forehead - probably ice - so you can't actually see her injury from here, though she doesn't appear to be in obvious distress.

« Reply #659 on: July 01, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
>Check cloth for drips or leaking.