Author Topic: Art Tips Thread II  (Read 214837 times)

pineyappled

Re: Art Tips Thread II: Music is art too!
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2012, 05:12:04 AM »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:08:32 AM by kinoko »

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
Wow, has it really been two months? Anyway, here's a really useful tutorial on shading basics, one of the best I've seen.

Thanks Malluar, I love how well it explains the reason shadow exists.

Most people's difficulty with drawing, I think, is due to them not knowing how the thing they are drawing would work in a real-life situation.

btw Kinoko, holy shit that's useful.
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2012, 02:12:39 AM »
Links have been added!  :V

I'll add some more tuts and such later.

SuperParadox

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
copy and pasting is hard work.  :derp:

New links added, I'll add some more when I come home from school probably. 

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
I apologise if this is offensive  :ohdear: , but where is a woman's waist? I need to know how long the legs should be and where I should draw the skirt/whatever.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »
At work and can't draw an example right now, but a woman's torso (from neck to crotch) is 2 heads long and legs (from top of the hip to bottom of the foot) are about 4 heads long. A woman's waist is a bit more than halfway down the torso.

e: rough example of what I mean
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:00:50 PM by Bad Appellant!! »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
Dunno if anyone's linked this guy yet so here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD2CF65888663986

Also, I'm having some trouble with shading this, I'm really not too sure how to approach it, especially the hair.
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Quad City QBs

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »
C'MON IT'S TIME TO GET HYPE SAY HOOP THERE IT IS

(pretty good little anatomy resource)

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
Whoa, that's some really handy advice there. :o
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

SuperParadox

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
C'MON IT'S TIME TO GET HYPE SAY HOOP THERE IT IS

(pretty good little anatomy resource)
You always find good stuff .  :V

I sorted out the links to make them easier to navigate and find things.
Also, looking for some good background and clothing tuts since the list is lacking.

pineyappled

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »
animation gestures
Also, quick reminder that this is essentially DEVIANTART SANIC RECOLORS: BACKGROUND EDITION before somebody else links it and tells you to use it for whatever infernal reason.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »
animation gestures
Also, quick reminder that this is essentially DEVIANTART SANIC RECOLORS: BACKGROUND EDITION before somebody else links it and tells you to use it for whatever infernal reason.

Thanks for the gestures! I find I learn best from things like this, great find.

Also, did they really just tell us to get a 3D background, filter the fuck out of it and then paint over it? I'm sure that'll improve everyone's skills.
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

SuperParadox

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 01:52:37 AM »
Breaking Through Artist's Block

Since we all feel this way at one point at another I thought I would highlight this video from a youtube channel I recently added to the list.
It basically explains artist block in theory. I think its worth a watch if you have the time. Also, check out his other videos.

SuperParadox

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
Added some new links as well as sections for backgrounds, clothing, composition, references and also a list of some free art programs.

I'll also add some public free domain books later.  :V

Quad City QBs

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
Is it possible to get a sticky on this thread? Anyway, here's a brief note on shoulders and how to raise them when the arm is raised.

SuperParadox

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
^ Seconding that.

Also, I need to remind myself to update the first post later tonight. I've been noticing how much its lacking in some areas.
and change the subject title  :derp:

e: Some new links added. If there's anything you guys want added or need help finding tutorials or information on something please ask. It will help me find things more suited to other people.  :V

I'll also add some public free domain books later.  :V

wow i'm bad at completing tasks I give myself.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:04:01 PM by SuperParadox »

pineyappled

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:14 AM »
3D is cool and so, but what you draw is planar arbitrary-by-themselves lines. You cannot create real space within a piece of paper just because the piece is flat.
I wonder if we should move the discussion into other thread, to not derail Espeon's one.
You can't create real space. That's obvious; drawings are 2D. But it's very possible to represent 3D objects on paper.
This is a circle:

This is a sphere:

See the difference? An orange is not a circle. If you tried to draw an orange by drawing a circle, that'd be wrong. If you drew a sphere and called it an orange, you'd still be wrong because oranges aren't spheres. You'd be closer, though. The difference lies in that one looks like a, uh, circle, while the other one is a three-dimensional figure represented on paper.

okay i don't know if that even makes sense and sorry if it's like overly abrasive or something

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2013, 07:23:11 AM »
Is it possible to get a sticky on this thread?
Guys, that's what the report button is for. We can't exactly check each and every post in each and every thread to see if someone wants a sticky. :V

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2013, 07:38:05 AM »
okay i don't know if that even makes sense and sorry if it's like overly abrasive or something
It's okay, one must do his best to offend me even a little bit.
What I was saying, among other, is that skill of drawing circles will barely help to draw any orange, since oranges on paper aren't circles.
And lightning goes after shapes, so Espeon won't be able to do light until he draw proper shape. :/

Essentially a process of digestion then? Breaking things down into simpler things.
Which is to say, that you visualize underlying structures as simple polygons and polyhedrons. These themselves are constructed from lines.
What you end up drawing are lines, and the skill to learn is to draw them as you want them to be drawn.
But precisely because lines are arbitrary by themselves, I would suggest one should learn to see shapes instead. In the end you're drawing lines, but they give meaning based on how they associate with other lines.
Look at how it Espeon does it. I'd even say simplification makes him to do mistakes rather than actually help. What I see there are cylinders, cones, spheres, but not shoulders or legs.

I think, muscule's spatial shape is complicated enough to better keep its lines in mind.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:48:39 AM by Delfigamer »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

SuperParadox

Re: Art Tips Thread II
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2013, 06:02:27 AM »
Updated again /

Also highlighting this blog post.

pineyappled

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2013, 06:21:46 AM »
I flipped through How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way the other day, and it's actually a decent book. It's very basic, but does it well and all without any giant walls of boring text.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »

Then, how would I go about learning to draw proper shapes?

Also highlighting this blog post.

Would it be okay to discuss how to put that blog post into good use?

Can't really see the shoulder ^^;  Mind pointing it out more specifically (with even an oval drawn over each shoulder), and how it looks compared to an arms-not-raised perspective?

Quad City QBs

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2013, 07:10:35 AM »
Then, how would I go about learning to draw proper shapes?

Um, draw shapes? The average TF2 model is made up of about 580 bazillion polygons. If you can't even draw and render one polygon convincingly, then what chance do you have? This is why we practice balls, cups, boxes, and other simple stuff until we get sick of it, then keep practicing them until we're able to draw and shade them from any perspective, any lighting angle. Only then are we ready to move up to humans and other complex subjects.

Would it be okay to discuss how to put that blog post into good use?

I don't understand the question. When you read that blog post, what did you understand the message to be, and how do you think it was supposed to apply to you?

Can't really see the shoulder ^^;  Mind pointing it out more specifically (with even an oval drawn over each shoulder), and how it looks compared to an arms-not-raised perspective?

See attached.

Teewee

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
Um, draw shapes? The average TF2 model is made up of about 580 bazillion polygons. If you can't even draw and render one polygon convincingly, then what chance do you have? This is why we practice balls, cups, boxes, and other simple stuff until we get sick of it, then keep practicing them until we're able to draw and shade them from any perspective, any lighting angle. Only then are we ready to move up to humans and other complex subjects.

I think I understand.

I don't understand the question. When you read that blog post, what did you understand the message to be, and how do you think it was supposed to apply to you?

Aside from the bits about entering the commercial business, I understood the messages as advice on getting to improve faster. Specifically, about "choosing not to fail" and "making yourself have fun with it" Which is advice I could use, if I knew how to apply it. I was hoping to discuss ways to overcome mental blocks to be able to successfully apply that advice.

See attached.

From what I thought was the shoulder, the view of it seemed obscured from the first and second fleshed-out pictures from the right. If it's not too much trouble, could you perhaps explain how it is, or explain the proper meaning of a shoulder? Google definitions is rather vague about it... But, I'll be observing that ref to see if I can get my answers that way, so thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:27:10 PM by Honest Espeon »

pineyappled

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
If it's not too much trouble, could you perhaps explain how it is, or explain the proper meaning of a shoulder?
I

what?

Teewee

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »
I'll explain: looking at the ref, I knew that all this time I had been seeing shoulders incorrectly, so I asked for an explanation of what a shoulder exactly is, since (as I mentioned) two parts of that ref seemed to obscure the shoulder. In my eyes, that is.

I see shoulders as the parts connected to the sides of the torso, from which the biceps are connected to, if that helps any. See the attached jpg if my words weren't clear enough. :ohdear:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:09:17 PM by Honest Espeon »

Quad City QBs

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2013, 02:33:14 AM »
Aside from the bits about entering the commercial business, I understood the messages as advice on getting to improve faster. Specifically, about "choosing not to fail" and "making yourself have fun with it" Which is advice I could use, if I knew how to apply it. I was hoping to discuss ways to overcome mental blocks to be able to successfully apply that advice.

We've been over this before, albeit in a different context. Without knowing what "mental blocks" you're talking about--that is to say, without being you--we cannot help you on that front. We can provide resources and guidance; what we cannot do is wave our magic wand and make you a better artist, or make you understand a concept. You have to take charge of your own development, which means you need to put in the time, the effort, and the study. Only you can decide what a lesson means to you, and how to apply it in your life.

I'll explain: looking at the ref, I knew that all this time I had been seeing shoulders incorrectly, so I asked for an explanation of what a shoulder exactly is, since (as I mentioned) two parts of that ref seemed to obscure the shoulder. In my eyes, that is.

In the latter two pictures, you're looking at the underside of the arm, and the armpit is visible. Look at the attached image, which you should already be familiar with if you've been reading Loomis. Notice how the shoulder sticks out a bit above the bicep. When the arm is raised, that protrusion doesn't go away--it sits on top of the arm, on the inside (toward the neck) in the third picture, and on the outside (connecting the line that makes up the top of her arm, and the line that makes up her right side) in the fourth. This is very evident if you observe live models. Example:

[nsfw]http://i.imgur.com/c6LQlI4.jpg[/nsfw]

Shoulders highlighted in red. Notice how the lines of her right arm don't just run straight into her neck--they're broken up by the shoulder jutting out, sitting between arm and neck.

Teewee

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
We've been over this before, albeit in a different context. Without knowing what "mental blocks" you're talking about--that is to say, without being you--we cannot help you on that front. We can provide resources and guidance; what we cannot do is wave our magic wand and make you a better artist, or make you understand a concept. You have to take charge of your own development, which means you need to put in the time, the effort, and the study. Only you can decide what a lesson means to you, and how to apply it in your life.

You seem to be misunderstanding what I'd been saying, somewhat. The reason I didn't divulge on these mental blocks is because I had been asking if it was okay to discuss the contents of that blog post. Was just waiting for the right timing, is all. Also, you make it sound like I'm asking for some magical solution, or that I'm hardly putting any time, effort, or study into learning to draw. As for the former, I'm not. I've no idea where you got that idea, but that certainly isn't the case. As for the latter, it's what I've been doing for all this time, though perhaps incorrectly (or just hindered by my slow learning speed).

Shoulder advice

I'll be studying that a lot. Thanks! Though, it doesn't seem to explain how you don't see the shoulder jut-outs when the arms are raised, like in your previous ref. Thats what I meant earlier, btw; I already know that the shoulder juts out, but thanks for reaffirming it for me! Was kinda unsure there, actually...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:10:16 PM by Honest Espeon »

Quad City QBs

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2013, 03:00:21 AM »
I'll be studying that a lot. Thanks! Though, it doesn't seem to explain how you don't see the shoulder jut-outs when the arms are raised, like in your previous ref. Thats what I meant earlier, btw; I already know that the shoulder juts out, but thanks for reaffirming it for me! Was kinda unsure there, actually...

Um, yes you do. Like I said, the protruding muscle sits on top of the arm.