Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)  (Read 44050 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)
« Reply #780 on: February 06, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
>Not bad, moth girl. Not bad at all.
>Of course, if you meant all that about getting rid of us, Louise won't be the only one getting throttled.
>Let's make ourselves scarce. Louise might shut us both out if she sees us, and Neu... Well, either she doesn't need our help, or she'll dismiss us and then things would get ugly.
>Head back the way we came, but wait outside the building exit, so we can still be handy if anything complicated happens.

>You inwardly compliment Neu on her handling of the situation, while simultaneously worrying about just how serious she was with some of her statements. But that's an issue for another time; if Louise sees you now, things could get very messy, very fast. You quickly and quietly head back down the hallway and disappear down the stairs before either of them exit her office.
>You make your way back outside the building and wait by the entrance for Neu to show up. Hopefully she'll come bearing good news and not just new problems. You've had about all the problems you can take for one day...

>Did we get any sense that Neu was carrying anything magical?

>You did not.

>A few minutes pass, and then a few more. Several people exit the building and a handful more enter, though you expect it's getting rather close to closing time by now. You lean back against the wall to the side of the door and look up at the sky. Each second seems to draw itself out to an obnoxious degree while the clouds creep slowly from east to west. Are they going to come and lock the place up before she comes back out again?
>Eventually, a large sweep of white enters your peripheral vision as the door opens.
>"I have some news," Neu says.

« Reply #781 on: February 06, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
>"How bad?"

« Reply #782 on: February 06, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »
>"How bad?"

>"Well, she didn't find a record of our registration fee there," she replies. "But that's because the entire ledger for June 4th is missing."

« Reply #783 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
>"What?"

« Reply #784 on: February 06, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
>"What?"

>"The entire ledger for June 4th is missing," she repeats. "As are several others in that date range, for that matter. Louise was not happy."

« Reply #785 on: February 06, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »
Anyone wanna wager she'd be willing to talk to us now?

>"No, I imagine not."
>Did we get any outward impression that she didn't know they were gone?
>"And you can confirm this? I mean, you saw the gap in the shelf, or something?

« Reply #786 on: February 06, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
>"No, I imagine not."
>Did we get any outward impression that she didn't know they were gone?
>"And you can confirm this? I mean, you saw the gap in the shelf, or something?

>Louise seemed confident that no information confirming the permit's existence would be found in their financial records, but you can't say for certain why she seemed confident of this.
>Neu shakes her head. "No, I waited in the lobby. She dispatched someone to look for the entry on the ledger, and then went to look for it herself when they said it wasn't there. She said it might just have been misplaced somehow, but I think she's having some doubts about it, anyway."

« Reply #787 on: February 06, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »
At this point, I'm honestly uncertain if we should talk to Louise.
On the one hand, she doesn't like us, at all. And the moth seems to have given her the impression she's about to fire us.

On the other hand, this is the only lead we've got, and there might not be anything we can do on it withOUT talking to Louise.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #788 on: February 06, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
I think they'll talk to us on the ship about it before firing us. The day transition (if there is one) may actually work to our advantage here, because if we can explain ourselves to the crew using that time, then we may be able to work out something where we put on a termination show in front of Louise that doesn't actually mean anything. I doubt Murasa would begrudge what we did to Louise; her only concern is her crew.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #789 on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Let me see if I get this straight. You'd suggest explaining our disease to Murasa BEFORE talking to Louise?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #790 on: February 06, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
I'd explain what's going on to someone before talking to Louise, if only to arrange the firing charade. We only need give as many details as they want to feel enough peace of mind to let us board, but there is something to be said for the fact that we've been breathing on the crew for some time now knowing full-well they weren't going to get infected (I assume Minoriko would have said something if the disease really was an airborne contagion). Even if Murasa's a ghost, I assume Neu and Chisato aren't.

I would also guess they're willing to give us a chance to explain ourselves, because Neu went about talking about this first instead of trying to throttle us for potentially infecting her too.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #791 on: February 06, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
As a matter of fact, Minoriko DID. And she said we weren't contagious. I have to admit, when you were pulling that stunt on Louise, I wasn't if you knew that or not.

I don't think a charade of any sort if necessary. And while this outcome isn't the one I was hoping for, it's something. For the longest time, I had no idea how we were expected to solve this, and we had run down every lead we had. With this development, we have a new lead. I don't know if it will yield any results, but something's better than nothing.

Let's assume, for the moment, Louise wasn't involved in the theft, as I had assumed. That means that she's the victim of a theft as well. She needs a Seeker now, too, to get her stuff back, just like Murasa does. Louise may not LIKE us, but she may NEED us.
That may take some fast talking, and it'll more than likely involve a little explanation and/or fast talking, but this is the lead I've been hoping would come up. I don't want to lose it.

>"Did she mention when was the last time anyone had seen those books?"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #792 on: February 06, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »
I read most of the sickbed scene as it happened but didn't remember any of it. >_> Also, since I missed anything that would have been said on the subject...

> Does Minoriko prefer people not know who she really is, or it is common knowledge and she doesn't care that much?

EDIT: For the record, I also don't believe Louise is responsible at this point for a handful of reasons. Mostly because her 'acting' has been inconsistent and she certainly would have reshelved the records with the Blue Maiden's receipt missing just in case this came up.

EDIT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: I also think Louise could very much be talked into our services, given both she and we made incorrect assumptions and acted on them like jerks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:35:09 PM by Kilgamayan »

« Reply #793 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
>"Did she mention when was the last time anyone had seen those books?"

>"I don't think so knows," Neu replies. "But she did say she intends to turn the whole place upside down tomorrow morning looking for it."

> Does Minoriko prefer people not know who she really is, or it is common knowledge and she doesn't care that much?

>Minoriko's divinity is commonly known in Easthaven, though she prefers not to receive special treatment as a consequence of it. Given how many generations she has been a part of the community, most villagers there are so accustomed to her presence that treating her as just another (albeit important) member of the community comes naturally; in fact, it would be a little strange to think of her as anything but.

« Reply #794 on: February 06, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
I agree about Louise. Mistakes were made on both sides, but I think we can straighten them out.
EDIT: I admit to some personal bias on that front, though, as I like the MS crew. Even if this version of Louise is a bit more bureaucratic than I'm used to, she's still Louise.

>"That's a start. But that doesn't mean there's I can do now."
>Turn towards the door, place our hand on the handle, and pause.
>"But... About what Louise said. About me."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:27:02 PM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #795 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
>"That's a start. But that doesn't mean there's I can do now."
>Turn towards the door, place our hand on the handle, and pause.
>"But... About what Louise said. About me."

>You turn back to the door and put your hand on the handle, then pause and ask Neu about the issue with... you.
>She looks at you with a pointedly neutral expression. "I assume this is what you meant when you said you 'lost your temper' with her earlier?"

« Reply #796 on: February 06, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
>"Yeah... You could say that."

« Reply #797 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
>"Yeah... You could say that."

>Neu is silent a moment. When she does speak, her tone is firm, though not quite angry. "If you want my opinion, I would say that was incredibly poor judgment on your part, and we're lucky she was willing to let it go so easily."

« Reply #798 on: February 06, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »
>"You do a lot of things that would be considered poor judgement when you get a death sentance..."
>"And yes, that part was true. I HAVE been infected by a kind of blight. That's why I need to get to Val Razua, and fast. But I was told, guaranteed, that I wasn't infectious. I'm not trying to put you or your crew at risk. But you are my best hope. Maybe my last."

EDIT: Was hoping to have more time, but I gotta get to work. Don't wait for me if you don't wanna.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:44:36 PM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #799 on: February 06, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
Don't worry, there's more to things than that.

EDIT: Also this forum keeps the most annoying hours I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:14:41 PM by Kilgamayan »

« Reply #800 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:06 PM »
EDIT: Also this forum keeps the most annoying hours I've ever seen.

Sorry =/

>"You do a lot of things that would be considered poor judgement when you get a death sentance..."
>"And yes, that part was true. I HAVE been infected by a kind of blight. That's why I need to get to Val Razua, and fast. But I was told, guaranteed, that I wasn't infectious. I'm not trying to put you or your crew at risk. But you are my best hope. Maybe my last."

>"You're... serious?" she says, tensing up a little. Her antennae stiffen and her eyes scrutinize you closely.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #801 on: February 06, 2012, 11:48:45 PM »
> "On all accounts. Do you know of Minoriko of Easthaven?"

« Reply #802 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:55 PM »
> "On all accounts. Do you know of Minoriko of Easthaven?"

>"She's the... local harvest goddess, isn't she?"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #803 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
> "Yep. She's seen this before, a long time ago, and it's on her word that it's only an airborne contagion from the source. Which I'm very much not and is a thing rather far from here. I'd probably have to bleed right into your mouth for you to get infected."

« Reply #804 on: February 07, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »
> "Yep. She's seen this before, a long time ago, and it's on her word that it's only an airborne contagion from the source. Which I'm very much not and is a thing rather far from here. I'd probably have to bleed right into your mouth for you to get infected."

>Neu's expression twists into a disquieted frown and she shifts backwards slightly. "That's a... graphic way of putting it."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #805 on: February 07, 2012, 12:05:02 AM »
> "I know. Sorry. But I want to reinforce the fact that you're not going to catch what I have first and foremost. Everything else can come after that."

« Reply #806 on: February 07, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »
> "I know. Sorry. But I want to reinforce the fact that you're not going to catch what I have first and foremost. Everything else can come after that."

>The moth's expression does not abate and she stares at you for a moment with some measure of aversion and and distrust.
>"You realize I have only your word on this," she says, "when a half hour earlier you'd claimed the very opposite."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #807 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:35 AM »
> Smirk.
> "You're not being smugly stubborn about something where I know your assessment is wrong."
> Drop the smile.
> "Besides, Louise exaggerates a bit. I never actually threatened her with anything, nor did I claim I was contagious. There was no reason to threaten her with airborne contagion at that point anyway. I'd been breathing near or on her for the better part of ten minutes. When she wakes up healthy tomorrow, just like the rest of you, that'll be that."

« Reply #808 on: February 07, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
> Smirk.
> "You're not being smugly stubborn about something where I know your assessment is wrong."
> Drop the smile.
> "Besides, Louise exaggerates a bit. I never actually threatened her with anything, nor did I claim I was contagious. There was no reason to threaten her with airborne contagion at that point anyway. I'd been breathing near or on her for the better part of ten minutes. When she wakes up healthy tomorrow, just like the rest of you, that'll be that."

>"You're treating this awfully flippantly," Neu replies. "I'm sure most people wouldn't be very comforted by that explanation."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #809 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »
> Frown and shrug.
> "Well, when I'm dead in two weeks and you're all still alive and not diseased, it won't really matter all that much. I don't know what to do here, I don't exactly get served a death sentence every day."