Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49328 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #900 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
>"Well, I was in a bit of a hurry. Was all I had. Unless you'd rather have me huck a kunai at ya."

>"Well, if you think a little black thing'll show up better at night, don't let me stop ya." She grins a little. "I'll make sure the guild bills you for anyone it hits on the way down."

« Reply #901 on: October 23, 2011, 08:19:07 AM »
>"Now let's get back to something here. What'd you mean by 'chasing after the people on that list'? You talk to Rinnosuke tonight since I got back?"

« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
>"Now let's get back to something here. What'd you mean by 'chasing after the people on that list'? You talk to Rinnosuke tonight since I got back?"

>"Well, your note didn't say where to find ya," she says. "You weren't home, either, so I tried the guild, right? Kourin was only half as stingy as usual. Gave me a couple suggestions on where to look; said he'd sent you after them. Just got back from the Brass Lantern myself, actually." She shrugs. "'course, no one there knew where you went, either. Probably shoulda tried squeezing the girl for more about what went down at the dig last week while I was there, but..." she trails off, looking a little self-conscious.

« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2011, 08:53:59 AM »
>"You were there? What did happen out there? She wouldn't tell me nothing, either."

« Reply #904 on: October 23, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »
>"You were there? What did happen out there? She wouldn't tell me nothing, either."

>"I was... what?" She gives you a funny look. "Hadn't gotten the chance to poke my nose out there yet, though I was kinda thinking I might. Too far for me to fly out on my own, and the Academy folks got a pretty tight grip on about the only sailor who knows the route. There's a reason it went undiscovered this long, yeah? But nah, I don't really know any more about it than what I already told you. Just rumors, and you know how they are sometimes. Though they did ship out a bunch of stuff from here yesterday, so I'm told. Too bad I didn't hear about it until it was all already gone; no way I'd have missed snooping around on that. Heard they did it all hush-hush. Makes ya wonder, don't it?" She gives you a bit of a sly smile.

« Reply #905 on: October 23, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
>Press a hand to our chin.
>"Here's something else to wonder about, Mari. When I was talking to that woman back at the Lantern, she mentioned something about 'issues', and was quite emphatic that all the goods had been shipped out. And that's all she seemed willing to say."

« Reply #906 on: October 24, 2011, 02:31:25 AM »
>Press a hand to our chin.
>"Here's something else to wonder about, Mari. When I was talking to that woman back at the Lantern, she mentioned something about 'issues', and was quite emphatic that all the goods had been shipped out. And that's all she seemed willing to say."

>"Pretty tight-lipped for a student," she replies. "Almost sounds like they were worried someone would go off with the lot of them if they didn't move 'em quick. I wonder what it was..."

« Reply #907 on: October 24, 2011, 02:59:16 AM »
>"I've got a meeting lined up with one of the higher ups with the group, thanks to this sword here. I'm not banking on getting many details out of her, but ya never know what might turn up."

« Reply #908 on: October 24, 2011, 03:08:10 AM »
>"I've got a meeting lined up with one of the higher ups with the group, thanks to this sword here. I'm not banking on getting many details out of her, but ya never know what might turn up."

>She gives a little grin. "Make sure to pass anything interesting along, hey?"

« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2011, 03:19:18 AM »
>Drawl, "Well.... I suppose I'll consider it. For the right price, of course."

« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2011, 03:24:37 AM »
>Drawl, "Well.... I suppose I'll consider it. For the right price, of course."

>She actually manages to look hurt. "Hey now..."

« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2011, 03:33:43 AM »
>Chuckle heartily.
>"Aw, lighten up, Mari. Whatever comes outta this business, you'll be the first to know." More seriously, "Well, maybe second. If what this archaeoligist has to tell me leads to a cure, I'll want to get word to Ichirin as soon as I can. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a story there, before all's said and done."
>"Incidentally, you want to go somewhere for a bite? I haven't eaten a decent meal since breakfast, and there's more info I can give you about the spiders and their nest. Plus," grin "I wanna hear what you and Honey have been up to."

« Reply #912 on: October 24, 2011, 03:53:39 AM »
>Chuckle heartily.
>"Aw, lighten up, Mari. Whatever comes outta this business, you'll be the first to know." More seriously, "Well, maybe second. If what this archaeoligist has to tell me leads to a cure, I'll want to get word to Ichirin as soon as I can. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a story there, before all's said and done."
>"Incidentally, you want to go somewhere for a bite? I haven't eaten a decent meal since breakfast, and there's more info I can give you about the spiders and their nest. Plus," grin "I wanna hear what you and Honey have been up to."

>Marisa smiles ruefully and scratches her head. "Ha, that kid? Didn't figure she'd still be around, but... she kinda grows on ya. Got drive, I'll give her that. Not sure what else she's got, 'sides from baking a decent muffin, but she's got drive. And hey, it's like having your own pint-sized fanclub, too." She pokes a finger at you in light-hearted accusation. "Finally someone who gives me the respect I deserve, unlike some people I know. Whatever happened to 'teacher-knows-best', I tell ya."
>"But, well..." She frowns a little. "Think we really got time to sit and chat with all this stuff going on?"

« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2011, 04:00:35 AM »
>"Hey, a mouse gotta eat. But for you, well, that's up to you. I wasn't sure you'd want to head out to Easthaven tonight or wait till the morning. Night flying, and all that. Wouldn't want a stray bat to knock ya off your broom, would we."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #914 on: October 24, 2011, 04:01:12 AM »
>"That, and if you're gonna be heading into the Spider's Den, it's a good idea for you to have the info I didn't when I went in."
>"Ah yeah, she was the one who made the muffins right? I gotta agree with you on that, they are pretty nice."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #915 on: October 24, 2011, 04:23:39 AM »
>"Hey, a mouse gotta eat. But for you, well, that's up to you. I wasn't sure you'd want to head out to Easthaven tonight or wait till the morning. Night flying, and all that. Wouldn't want a stray bat to knock ya off your broom, would we."

>"It's the bats you should be worried for," she counters, grinning widely.

>"That, and if you're gonna be heading into the Spider's Den, it's a good idea for you to have the info I didn't when I went in."
>"Ah yeah, she was the one who made the muffins right? I gotta agree with you on that, they are pretty nice."

>"Won't say no to that much, if you got anything else you think I need to know."
>She nods. "It's a perk. Don't know if she'll ever pick up any of the other stuff, but I won't say no to someone cooking for me."

« Reply #916 on: October 24, 2011, 04:48:10 AM »
>"I got plenty info on the spiders, their house, and the youkai. I know you can handle yourself, Mari, but the more you know, the better. But as I'm sure you know, I 'brief' better on a full stomach."

« Reply #917 on: October 24, 2011, 05:35:29 AM »
>"I got plenty info on the spiders, their house, and the youkai. I know you can handle yourself, Mari, but the more you know, the better. But as I'm sure you know, I 'brief' better on a full stomach."

>"Well, your call," she replies, still looking a little reluctant.

« Reply #918 on: October 24, 2011, 05:56:44 AM »
>Head for the nearest place to eat that's open. That's affordable. Unless the guildhall's closer, then we go there.

« Reply #919 on: October 24, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
>Head for the nearest place to eat that's open. That's affordable. Unless the guildhall's closer, then we go there.

>You wander along the streets in search of the nearest place to eat, not feeling in the mood to be especially picky. Much of the town is closed or closing at this time of night, but it's still not hard to find restaurants and even some shops open; youkai in particular have a tendency towards being active during the night.
>Soon enough you come up what appears to be fairly low-brow eatery, straddling that line between restaurant and bar without quite stepping over. You can smell the greasy scent of fried food coming from within, as well as sounds of brusk chatter. It isn't exactly the best fare, but you imagine it could fill you up.

« Reply #920 on: October 24, 2011, 06:31:03 AM »
>"That'll do."
>Enter and smell for what's cooking.

« Reply #921 on: October 24, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »
>"That'll do."
>Enter and smell for what's cooking.

>Marisa shrugs. "Eh, food's food when you're hungry."
>You step inside. It is a modestly small establishment, with a similarly modest occupancy, though the dim lighting and thick smells in the air give it a crowded feel. The decor actually seems rather well-maintained, though the color choices do little to lighten the atmosphere. Most of the seating is the form of wooden booths, stained dark and build back-to-back with each other. Utilitarian cushions in deep green tweed provide what you suppose someone might consider an accent. The smells of food are many, though 'fried' does seem to be a unifying theme. You can detect chicken and onion rings, potatoes in more than one form, fried rice, and what you think is actually tempura, among a few sweeter smells - you note a partially eaten fritter on someone's plate. The tone of conversation seems fairly boisterous for the size of the space, though you don't note any alcohol.

« Reply #922 on: October 24, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
>It sure ain't Minoriko's, but it'll do.
>Grab an open seat.

« Reply #923 on: October 25, 2011, 02:20:11 AM »
>It sure ain't Minoriko's, but it'll do.
>Grab an open seat.

>This place has neither the succulent aromas nor the charm, but you're sure it's still edible.
>You go and seat yourself in an unoccupied booth and Marisa flops down across from you, propping her broom against the inside wall. In short order, a waitress makes her way over to your table. She appears to be a youkai, with a shock of fiery red hair tied in a short spiky ponytail. She is wearing a vest of finely-woven straw over a short-sleeved shirt, and her skin is slightly swarthy with an odd sheen to it. She flashes the pair of you a friendly, yet somehow impish grin.
>"Evenin'!" she says, dropping a pair of menus on your table.

« Reply #924 on: October 25, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
>Well, the waitress is perky, that's always a plus.
>Give her a friendly nod. "How's it goin'?"
>"What's the house special this evening?"

Not gonna be around much the next couple days, comrades, I'm a bit unwell. Spent most of yesterday in bed, and that's probably where I'm going to spend the rest of today as well.
All I'd planned to do here was give Marisa the info we have on the spiders, their threat levels, and what we know of the geography of the cave. Once that's done, I see no reason to detain her here, if she wants to hit the road.
PS: If anyone can sneak a kiss from either our perky waitress or Mari, I'll give ya a gold star.

« Reply #925 on: October 27, 2011, 12:05:35 AM »
>Well, the waitress is perky, that's always a plus.
>Give her a friendly nod. "How's it goin'?"
>"What's the house special this evening?"

>Friendly is generally better than the inverse, certainly.
>"Not bad, not bad," she replies.
>"Chicken tempura and honey fried rice," she rhymes off briskly. "Plain or spicy; whatever grabs ya."

« Reply #926 on: October 27, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »
>"Go with the spicy tonight."
>Try to keep our sword out of the line of sight of the other patrons.

« Reply #927 on: October 27, 2011, 03:30:15 AM »
>"Go with the spicy tonight."
>Try to keep our sword out of the line of sight of the other patrons.

>She bares a sharp grin at you. "Regular spicy or 'Someone call a hydromancer' spicy?"
>You've been doing your best to be discreet, though there's really only so much you can do with something this size. That being said, the sight of someone bearing weapons is not that abnormal in Braston, and you imagine Kumokirimaru does not look especially hostile, wrapped as it is.

« Reply #928 on: October 27, 2011, 03:55:22 AM »
>Are we aware of anyone in Braston especially good at stealing swords, or weapons in general?
>Is our tongue/mouth especially sensitive to excessivly spicy foods?

« Reply #929 on: October 27, 2011, 04:06:10 AM »
>Are we aware of anyone in Braston especially good at stealing swords, or weapons in general?
>Is our tongue/mouth especially sensitive to excessivly spicy foods?

>You don't know of anyone specifically skilled in the art of weapon theft, though Marisa does have something of a reputation for 'borrowing' things that interest her, and perhaps even giving them back some day. Maybe. If you're lucky. Though, as far as you know, weapons of a physical nature don't tend to pique her interest particularly.
>No more excessively than most people's, you imagine.