Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49336 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #750 on: October 18, 2011, 03:00:28 AM »
>"Hm. What would be the closest activity to that area?"

>"Eh.... probably Redrock Point, 'bout... 4 miles out the road from Easthaven, up north."

>Make a mental note of that silver vein anyway, might be worth investigating a little more once we get rid of this blight and the spider affair is settled once and for all. And if it is, might be worth selling the info to Yuugi.

>You make a mental note about the possible silver deposit. There's always a chance it's economically viable.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #751 on: October 18, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »
>"Can I see what you have with that place?"

« Reply #752 on: October 18, 2011, 03:33:54 AM »
>"Can I see what you have with that place?"

>"Charts and all that are at the guild, if you wanna take a look at them," she says. "Anyone gives you a hassle over it, tell 'em to take it up with me. Not sure what you're hoping to find there, though."

« Reply #753 on: October 18, 2011, 04:11:08 AM »
>"Maybe a little history to the place, not sure myself. I suppose I'm mostly looking for answers. This whole business left a lotta questions unanswered. And while I'm looking for a cure, no reason I can't find some answers as well, eh."
>"Thanks again, Yuugi. I'll be seeing you tomorrow sometime."
>If she doesn't stop us, proceed to the Brass Lantern.

Assuming you're done, of course, Purvis.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #754 on: October 18, 2011, 04:23:51 AM »
Yeah, I think I've arsked most of what I could think of.

« Reply #755 on: October 18, 2011, 04:55:38 AM »
>"Maybe a little history to the place, not sure myself. I suppose I'm mostly looking for answers. This whole business left a lotta questions unanswered. And while I'm looking for a cure, no reason I can't find some answers as well, eh."
>"Thanks again, Yuugi. I'll be seeing you tomorrow sometime."
>If she doesn't stop us, proceed to the Brass Lantern.

>Yuugi nods. "Count on it."
>You turn and exit the smithy; you can hear Yuugi resuming her work at the forge as you make your way out.

>Your trip out of the industrial district is a little more eventful than the trip in. Heading southwest towards where the harbor meets marketplace, you pass a couple roving groups of loudly inebriated oni - not that there is often any other kind - and at one point are forced to hastily sidestep a large bottle as it makes an unannounced flight out the open door of tavern. It crashes loudly against the cobblestone beside you and shatters into large jagged fragments, a trickle of sake pooling in their center. This is immediately followed by the sounds of a apparently good-natured punch-up from inside the establishment, at least judging by the tone of the cheering onlookers - with oni, it can sometimes be hard to tell.
>In any case, you make it clear of oni territory without inuring any new and novel injuries, and soon enough arrive at the Brass Lantern. There are still signs of life around you, from the market and elsewhere, but the loudest bustle has faded away into the north - at this distance, more a reassuring constant than an unpleasant cacophony.
>The Brass Lantern itself is a well-constructed and tasteful structure, its stonework complemented with broad wooden beams and lattices in an effort to look welcoming. The exterior is lit warmly by the eponymous light source, hung from the beams at intervals, and a well-painted sign is affixed above the entrance. From inside the building comes the sound of mild conversation.

« Reply #756 on: October 18, 2011, 04:57:33 AM »
>What's the food like here?
>Wrap the sword, if we didn't after Yuugi was done, and enter.

« Reply #757 on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:35 AM »
>What's the food like here?
>Wrap the sword, if we didn't after Yuugi was done, and enter.

>You've never eaten here personally, but you understand it to be decent fare, if a bit generic.
>Having already rewrapped your sword before you left Yuugi's, you step inside.
>You enter into a modest lobby, its decor repeating the aesthetic of the exterior: dark-grained wood upon precise stonework. The room is suffused with a warm glow from the multiple lanterns hung on chains from the ceiling. The overall effect is reminiscent of being close to a cozy hearth. A young woman manning a counter opposite the doorway looks up as you enter, a professionally welcoming expression on her face.

« Reply #758 on: October 18, 2011, 05:18:23 AM »
>Nice place, but Minoriko's a hard act to follow.
>Approach the hostess.
>"Nazrin, liscenced Seeker. I was told there was a group of archaeologists from Val Razua staying here. I've got some business I'd like to discuss with them."

« Reply #759 on: October 18, 2011, 05:25:27 AM »
>Nice place, but Minoriko's a hard act to follow.
>Approach the hostess.
>"Nazrin, liscenced Seeker. I was told there was a group of archaeologists from Val Razua staying here. I've got some business I'd like to discuss with them."

>The place may be bigger than hers, but without even tasting it, you're quite certain the food's not as good.
>You approach the woman and inquire after the archeologists.
>"I'm not sure if any of them are here at the moment," she says, still smiling pleasantly at you, "but you can try room 201."

« Reply #760 on: October 18, 2011, 05:39:46 AM »
>That would be in keeping with the theme so far today...
>Ask her where that is, and go there, and have a knock upon the door.
>Where did we usually go for grub at this time of day, before we 'graduated' to full Seeker?

« Reply #761 on: October 18, 2011, 05:52:28 AM »
>That would be in keeping with the theme so far today...
>Ask her where that is, and go there, and have a knock upon the door.
>Where did we usually go for grub at this time of day, before we 'graduated' to full Seeker?

>Stupid people and their not being at home when you call on them...
>You ask the receptionist for directions and then make your way upstairs to the room. You knock.
>The Seeker's guildhall keeps a fairly well-stocked kitchen for the apprentices, though it's essentially self-serve. You weren't exactly rolling in money as an apprentice, so you tended to stick to simple food from the market and what you could scrounge from the kitchen for free.

>A few moments later, the door is opened by a young woman with shoulder-length brown hair. "Yes? Is there-" She visibly stiffens as she notices the sword in your hand, then you see her eyes flicker towards your badge. The effect is not as calming as you might have hoped.
>"Is there... something I can do for you?" she asks warily.

« Reply #762 on: October 18, 2011, 06:08:55 AM »
>That sheathe's gonna be handy in more ways than one.
>"Actually, I think there's something we can do for each other. My name is Nazrin, and I'm with the Seeekers. I'm hoping you have some information I need, and I think I have some information you'd like, as well. May I step inside?"

« Reply #763 on: October 18, 2011, 06:16:27 AM »
>That sheathe's gonna be handy in more ways than one.
>"Actually, I think there's something we can do for each other. My name is Nazrin, and I'm with the Seeekers. I'm hoping you have some information I need, and I think I have some information you'd like, as well. May I step inside?"

>Indeed.
>"I'd rather you explain first," she says, inching the door slightly more closed. "If it's all the same to you. I-" She looks at the sword again, and then her eyes widen slightly. "Wait- is that?" She looks back at you expectantly, an almost urgent expression on her face.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:26:55 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #764 on: October 18, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
>Suppress a grin. Now we're gettin' somewhere.
>"Ahh, you recognize it, I see."

« Reply #765 on: October 18, 2011, 06:22:20 AM »
>Suppress a grin. Now we're gettin' somewhere.
>"Ahh, you recognize it, I see."

>She nods without taking her eyes off it. "Your guildmaster showed me the rubbings yesterday. Said he didn't really know much more about it than that, though. Where'd you find it?" There is an undisguised enthusiasm in her voice. She seems to have forgotten her earlier wariness entirely.

« Reply #766 on: October 18, 2011, 06:24:20 AM »
>"Short answer: Underground, near a river. There's a long answer, but the middle of a hallway might not be the best place to tell that story."

« Reply #767 on: October 18, 2011, 06:33:56 AM »
>"Short answer: Underground, near a river. There's a long answer, but the middle of a hallway might not be the best place to tell that story."

>"Oh! Oh yes, of course," she says, then frowns and stares at you again, hesitating.
>"No offense intended, honestly, but..." She pauses again, looking distinctly uncomfortable. "You mind handing that to me first? I promise I'm not going off with it."

« Reply #768 on: October 18, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
>"Well, that's part of what I wanted to discuss. I can't hand it over. To you, or anyone else. I can't let it out of my grasp, not for an instant, at least not for the next couple weeks."
>Add under our breath, "If I get that far..."
>"I promise you, I don't mean any harm. I only have the sword wrapped because I don't have a sheathe for it."

« Reply #769 on: October 18, 2011, 06:55:42 AM »
>"Well, that's part of what I wanted to discuss. I can't hand it over. To you, or anyone else. I can't let it out of my grasp, not for an instant, at least not for the next couple weeks."
>Add under our breath, "If I get that far..."
>"I promise you, I don't mean any harm. I only have the sword wrapped because I don't have a sheathe for it."

>She frowns as you explain and seems to tense a little again.
>"No, no, I don't mean anything against you," she says. "And I'm sorry. Please don't take it the wrong way, it's just, well... we've had... issues." She frowns uncomfortably.

« Reply #770 on: October 18, 2011, 06:59:24 AM »
>Yeah, that doesn't sound ominous at all.
>"I hope you've had better luck getting your issues resolved than I've had. ... Or ARE they resolved?"

« Reply #771 on: October 18, 2011, 07:06:11 AM »
>Yeah, that doesn't sound ominous at all.
>"I hope you've had better luck getting your issues resolved than I've had. ... Or ARE they resolved?"

>"Well, uh..." She shifts nervously. "I probably shouldn't say any more, really. But there's nothing from the dig left here now. It's all been packed up and shipped out. Just saying." She gives you an odd look.

« Reply #772 on: October 18, 2011, 07:11:23 AM »
>Ooooookay....
>Sweep the area with our treasure sense, and listen for sounds from inside the room.

« Reply #773 on: October 18, 2011, 07:14:53 AM »
>Ooooookay....
>Sweep the area with our treasure sense, and listen for sounds from inside the room.

>Yeah, that's definitely a bit odd.
>You may get the vague sense of a couple minorly magical items somewhere in the inn, but you can't say for certain that they're in this room, and they're of no great magnitude in any case. The room appears to be silent.

« Reply #774 on: October 18, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »
>"I'm only here looking for an exchange of information, is all. I need to know everything I can learn about this sword, and I can tell you everything about where I found it, and what else was down there."

« Reply #775 on: October 18, 2011, 07:23:39 AM »
>"I'm only here looking for an exchange of information, is all. I need to know everything I can learn about this sword, and I can tell you everything about where I found it, and what else was down there."

>"I don't think I can tell you anything about that sword that I didn't already say to your guildmaster," she says. "I'm just excited even getting a look at it. I'd love to hear what you have to say, though."
>She hesitates a moment and then opens the door a little wider again.

« Reply #776 on: October 18, 2011, 07:26:40 AM »
>Glance around inside, without drawing her attention.

« Reply #777 on: October 18, 2011, 07:31:21 AM »
>Glance around inside, without drawing her attention.

>You glance discreetly at the interior. It looks to be the outer room of a suite, moderately untidy, though not enough to look suspicious. There is an assortment of papers and books on the table - some open, some closed - along with writing materials. Several boxes and packs are stacked about the rest of the room.

« Reply #778 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »
>"Are you the leader of your team?"

« Reply #779 on: October 18, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »
>"Are you the leader of your team?"

>"What?" She actually seems a little taken aback. "Oh, no, no, Professor Kamishirasawa is in charge of the expedition. I'm just a student." She gives you a bit of a sheepish grin. "I got stuck doing the shopping this time."