Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49329 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #510 on: October 11, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
>"So then they're not the same one. I suppose that's somewhat useful....Even though I'm not sure how."

>"I don't know if she would be privy to this war of which you speak, though I wouldn't consider her the most reliable source of information, were it even possible to find her. Are you hoping this war holds some clue to your affliction?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #511 on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:30 PM »
>"I'm hoping for any clue I can get at this point, to be honest. On that note, what do you know about a plague that turns one's veins black. Like this?"
>Show him the ones on our arm.

« Reply #512 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »
>"I'm hoping for any clue I can get at this point, to be honest. On that note, what do you know about a plague that turns one's veins black. Like this?"
>Show him the ones on our arm.

>You show Rinnosuke the blighted mark on your arm. This elicits a less subdued frown from him, and he stares at it closely. It is just your imagination playing tricks on you or is it... slightly larger than it was this morning? No, perhaps not...
>"Nothing at all, I'm afraid," he says. "This conversation is making me feel rather less knowledgeable than I like to consider myself. Shall I assume you've already spoken to the usual experts on this subject if you're consulting me?"

« Reply #513 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22:37 AM »
>"Everyone in Easthaven that might've known anything. I just made it back to Braston; you're my first stop before I see Marisa."
>What's the Wild Lands?

« Reply #514 on: October 12, 2011, 02:35:30 AM »
>"Everyone in Easthaven that might've known anything. I just made it back to Braston; you're my first stop before I see Marisa."

>"I don't mean to discourage you, but I rather doubt this is within her expertise, either. Marisa is very good at what she does, but she is not of an academic inclination. Though I suppose it cannot hurt to try."
>He takes another sip of tea and then gives you an odd look. "Do you believe you are contagious?"

>What's the Wild Lands?

>The Wild Lands is a large and only loosely defined expanse to the west of Hanashibara, extending all the way to the Dragon's Spine mountains. It is so called because of the numerous barbaric and even feral youkai who live there. In the distant past, there were supposedly great cities in that part of the world, but their presence is long lost to time, and while you believe there have been several attempts to settle it since, none managed to gain civilization any enduring foothold. Moreover, around half a century ago, a great horde of youkai and other magical creatures surged forth from it and fell upon the neighboring lands. You aren't familiar with the details of the ensuing war, but you understand it was a very heated thing for a while, although the invasion was ultimately driven back and scattered.
>Things have been quieter since, but it is still considered one of the most dangerous parts of the world to travel through, and a significant reason that trade with the Far West is so limited. Conversely, the ruins of lost civilization to be found there offer the promise of riches and buried heirlooms to any Seeker confident enough to search for them. There are no shortage of rumors about the place, and it's often difficult to discern fact from fiction.

« Reply #515 on: October 12, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »
>"Contagious, no. Minoriko didn't think so, and she'd know."
>Is it time for our medicine yet?
>"She's the one that determined it was the sword that was keeping the disease at bay, and derived a medicine for me to keep me on my feet."
>"But Rinnosuke, it's only temporary. Near as Minoriko can figure, I've got a bit south of two weeks to find a cure. If I can't, I won't make it to the third."
>"Minoriko and Ichirin brought a healer down from here, but do you know anyone here in town that'd be an expert in exotic diseases? Or curses? Or ancient religions, for that matter?"

« Reply #516 on: October 12, 2011, 03:14:39 AM »
>"Contagious, no. Minoriko didn't think so, and she'd know."
>Is it time for our medicine yet?
>"She's the one that determined it was the sword that was keeping the disease at bay, and derived a medicine for me to keep me on my feet."
>"But Rinnosuke, it's only temporary. Near as Minoriko can figure, I've got a bit south of two weeks to find a cure. If I can't, I won't make it to the third."
>"Minoriko and Ichirin brought a healer down from here, but do you know anyone here in town that'd be an expert in exotic diseases? Or curses? Or ancient religions, for that matter?"

>He nods.
>Minoriko said to take two capfuls each morning and night. You're not rightly sure what time of the night or morning it was when Ichirin woke you for your last dose, though it isn't particularly late in the night just yet.
>"I... see." He pauses, frowning. "This is rather more serious than I would have expected from looking at you."
>"There are several who know at least a little of such things," he says, "Though I'm growing to suspect this may be more esoteric than their knowledge. Still, I can send out inquiries on your behalf."

« Reply #517 on: October 12, 2011, 03:44:14 AM »
>"Best to cover all your bases in this field, yeah."
>"Though the plague isn't what I wanted to talk to Marisa about. ... She IS still in town, right?"
>Oh, god, if she isn't....

« Reply #518 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:49 AM »
>"Best to cover all your bases in this field, yeah."
>"Though the plague isn't what I wanted to talk to Marisa about. ... She IS still in town, right?"
>Oh, god, if she isn't....

>Rinnosuke nods.
>"The last I heard, at any rate," he says.
>Well, that isn't a no, at least.

« Reply #519 on: October 12, 2011, 04:14:09 AM »
>"Well, that's a relief."
>In expectation of his question, "The spiders haven't really been dealt with fully. Or at all. Neither has the youkai, and that's what I wanted to ask Marisa about. She's got a few more tools than I do for handling large number of things."
>Do we know where she lives?
>"You mentioned an archaeologist from the... Grand academy, was it? Is she here in town tonight?"
>What IS the grand academy?

« Reply #520 on: October 12, 2011, 04:39:26 AM »
>"Well, that's a relief."
>In expectation of his question, "The spiders haven't really been dealt with fully. Or at all. Neither has the youkai, and that's what I wanted to ask Marisa about. She's got a few more tools than I do for handling large number of things."
>Do we know where she lives?

>"Ah, I see." He takes another sip of tea. "I should give you fair warning that she claims to be taking a break from work for a while, though knowing her, I'm not sure how seriously this can be taken."
>You do. She has a small place north of Eastmarket, perpetually in a state of clutter and disorder.

>"You mentioned an archaeologist from the... Grand academy, was it? Is she here in town tonight?"
>What IS the grand academy?

>"She may have gone back to the dig site," he says. "I'm not certain. They've largely set up camp on the islet, but a few came back to pick up more supplies. Some might still be here."
>The Grand Academy of Val Razua is the largest and most distinguished institution of higher learning in Gensokyo, famous especially for its focus in the magical arts, in which it is considered virtually without peer, but also highly regarded in all manner of more mundane disciplines. It is no small part of why Val Razua itself is considered a hub of learning and culture.

« Reply #521 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:22 AM »
>"Don't suppose you'd have any idea where that 'in town' might be, would you?"
>"And those people you mentioned earlier, the ones that might have a bit more info on this sword, diseases, history behind the sword. Any of them live here in town? And would still be awake and open to visitors? I may want to see Marisa soon as well, but I want to cover as much ground as I can tonight."
>Don't really need to say time's a bit of a factor here, do we now.

« Reply #522 on: October 12, 2011, 05:42:14 AM »
>"Don't suppose you'd have any idea where that 'in town' might be, would you?"
>"And those people you mentioned earlier, the ones that might have a bit more info on this sword, diseases, history behind the sword. Any of them live here in town? And would still be awake and open to visitors? I may want to see Marisa soon as well, but I want to cover as much ground as I can tonight."
>Don't really need to say time's a bit of a factor here, do we now.

>"I believe their party lodged at the Brass Lantern when they first arrived," he says. "They may still be using this as a base of operations within the city."
>"You did ask specifically for those within town, so the answer to your first question would be yes. I imagine most of the city is still awake at this hour, though many of those whose maintain public offices would be closed for the day. Several are simply acquaintances." He pauses for a moment. "The temples and shrines might be one place to inquire about either curses or old religions, though I don't believe either of them are maintained by especially learned caretakers. Still, religious records sometimes contain things which secular ones do not. I can provide you a list of names and home addresses for the healers within town, if you wish. I am fairly certain you will not find anyone living here who can read that script, however. If the Grand Academy's archeologists are only passingly familiar with it, it is certainly beyond the knowledge of a more casual scholar."
>He gives you a faint smile. "I understand your desire for haste. I will try to contact those I can."
>You think you have already made that clear enough.

« Reply #523 on: October 12, 2011, 05:59:34 AM »
>"A list would be appreciated, yes. I'll gladly take a start for after I see Marisa."
>We know the locations of those temples in town, right? And the Brass Lantern as well? Ask Rino in the event we do not.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #524 on: October 12, 2011, 06:13:20 AM »
Don't forget we have Ellen in our pocket!

« Reply #525 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
>"A list would be appreciated, yes. I'll gladly take a start for after I see Marisa."
>We know the locations of those temples in town, right? And the Brass Lantern as well? Ask Rino in the event we do not.

>"Very well," he says, producing a small pad of paper and a pencil from the pouch at his front. He starts to write on it.
>The Brass Lantern is near to the harbor, and you think you know more or less where the various religious buildings within town are located.

« Reply #526 on: October 12, 2011, 06:37:15 AM »
>What's the harbor district like after dark in Braston?
>Well, we wouldn't want to be ALL doom and gloom...
>"Outta curiousity, boss. That little fairy Honey stick around with Marisa?"

« Reply #527 on: October 12, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »
>What's the harbor district like after dark in Braston?
>Well, we wouldn't want to be ALL doom and gloom...
>"Outta curiousity, boss. That little fairy Honey stick around with Marisa?"

>Certain parts of it will be shut down for the day, though ships obviously continue to arrive regardless of the hour. Given that a significant chunk of the dock's labor force is oni, there are taverns to be found there, and those will certainly be lively into the late hours. Some parts of it can be seedier than others, but The Brass Lantern itself is a reputable establishment just far enough off the main drag to be peaceable, without being so far off as to be shady.
>You'll take a bright spot if you can find one today...
>"I haven't seen her myself for several days now, but I do believe they've been spotted together since then."

« Reply #528 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:53 AM »
>Nod.
>"Good, then. Glad to see she's learned at least not to stand in front of Mari."
>Sit back and sip our tea while he writes that list.
>"Anything like this ever happen to you, boss?"

« Reply #529 on: October 12, 2011, 07:25:44 AM »
>Nod.
>"Good, then. Glad to see she's learned at least not to stand in front of Mari."
>Sit back and sip our tea while he writes that list.
>"Anything like this ever happen to you, boss?"

>"I can't vouch for that, unfortunately," he says.
>You lean back and drink some more of your tea. Honestly, half of what this is doing is simply reminding you that you could use a proper meal.
>"Managing the daily affairs of the guild is not a very hazardous occupation, fortunately," he says, scribing a last sentence on the notepad. Then he neatly tears off the top sheet and slides it across the table towards you.

« Reply #530 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »
>Mission for Mari first. Then food.
>Take the scrap and pocket it. "Thanks."
>"But I mean back in the day. You've been around, done your share."
>Lean forward slightly. "And when you said 'what is NOW the Wild Lands.' That mean you were there before they were that Wild?"

« Reply #531 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »
>Mission for Mari first. Then food.
>Take the scrap and pocket it. "Thanks."
>"But I mean back in the day. You've been around, done your share."
>Lean forward slightly. "And when you said 'what is NOW the Wild Lands.' That mean you were there before they were that Wild?"

>That sounds like a plan.
>Rinnosuke nods as you pocket the list.
>"I'm certainly not that old," he says, with a just trace of chagrin. "The Wild Lands have existed for a very long time. It's simply that the borders have changed somewhat over the past century. And you would do well not to believe everything people whisper about me," he adds in a neutral tone.

« Reply #532 on: October 12, 2011, 08:06:25 AM »
>Throw our hands up in mock horror.
>"Sorry, sorry..." Lower our hands and chuckle.
>"But seriously though, boss, what's it like? Having the kinda rep that you do."

« Reply #533 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
>Throw our hands up in mock horror.
>"Sorry, sorry..." Lower our hands and chuckle.
>"But seriously though, boss, what's it like? Having the kinda rep that you do."

>"One grows accustomed," he says, taking another sip of tea.

« Reply #534 on: October 13, 2011, 01:24:48 AM »
>Chuckle. "Reckon so."
>Slug the rest of our own tea, then stand. "Thanks for the head start, but I really should see Marisa before it gets too much later. Time's a factor for more'n just me."

« Reply #535 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:43 AM »
>Chuckle. "Reckon so."
>Slug the rest of our own tea, then stand. "Thanks for the head start, but I really should see Marisa before it gets too much later. Time's a factor for more'n just me."

>You quickly finish the rest of your tea and stand up.
>Rinnosuke nods. "Of course. Though before you leave, I should mention that someone was here inquiring about you the other day."

« Reply #536 on: October 13, 2011, 02:33:56 AM »
>"If they wanted to hire me, I'm gonna be tied up for a bit."

« Reply #537 on: October 13, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
>"If they wanted to hire me, I'm gonna be tied up for a bit."

>"She didn't say whether she had a proposition for you or not, simply that she was interested in speaking with you. Of course, I understand the pressures on your time at this moment. I am simply delivering a message."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #538 on: October 13, 2011, 02:46:35 AM »
>"Who was it, by the way?"

« Reply #539 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »
>"Who was it, by the way?"

>"Yuugi Hoshiguma."