Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49332 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #420 on: October 10, 2011, 02:06:52 AM »
>Follow him.
>Glance behind on the way out. Spare a moment to hope that everyone in that room will still be here, intact and alive, when this is over, and we come back.
>Spare another moment to hope that, despite our bravado, we make it back intact and alive. Somehow.

>You start to follow, then pause a moment and look back at the room. A few people are still looking in your direction, some curiously, others dubiously. Merlin smiles and waves a quick goodbye to you. You hope fervently that everything here will still be waiting for your return, and that can you make good on your promise to find a cure for yourself before... before it's too late.
>Then you turn away one last time and follow Koichi out.
>He leads you out of the hall and past the village center at a brisk pace, heading northeast. Though you exchange a few words along the way, it is a quiet trip. Given the weight upon your mind at the moment, perhaps this is not entirely for the best; with nothing else to hold your focus, you can feel yourself ruminating. Despite all that you've said, and despite what you'd even like to think about yourself, it's still... frightening. The thought that, no matter how narrow the chance, this really could be it. It feels somehow different than when you're fighting for your life in the moment, perhaps simply because then you didn't have time to think. But now?
>You arrive at Koichi's stable and he leads out a dark bay mare and hitches her to a cart. The horse is sterner looking than the one you road to Braston on the other day, though she gives off an impression of being fitter and stronger as well. The cart is still a simple affair, though perhaps smaller than the last, if more finely made.
>"Don't be afraid to push her a little," Koichi says. "'long as she's still in one piece by Braston. You just get that Marisa person here as quick as you can."

« Reply #421 on: October 10, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
>"I can arrange to stable her when I get there, of course, but, did you intend to pick her up yourself? Have someone bring her back here? Just so I know what to tell the hands where I leave her."
>Learned our lesson after that fruit cart. Questions to ask first.

« Reply #422 on: October 10, 2011, 02:32:37 AM »
>"I can arrange to stable her when I get there, of course, but, did you intend to pick her up yourself? Have someone bring her back here? Just so I know what to tell the hands where I leave her."
>Learned our lesson after that fruit cart. Questions to ask first.

>"I guess if Marisa's supposed to coming back here straightaway, not going to have time to rest her up." He pauses. "Just stable her. I'll get someone going in tomorrow morning to pick her up."

« Reply #423 on: October 10, 2011, 02:50:12 AM »
>"Got it."
>Climb into the cart.
>"Wish me luck. And keep your head down when Marisa shows up. She gets carried away from time to time."
>Back to Minoriko's for that medicine.

« Reply #424 on: October 10, 2011, 03:01:06 AM »
>"Got it."
>Climb into the cart.
>"Wish me luck. And keep your head down when Marisa shows up. She gets carried away from time to time."
>Back to Minoriko's for that medicine.

>You hop into the cart and leave the man a warning about the enthusiastic tendencies of the help you're fetching. He frowns warily, then gives a little nod. "Good luck to ya!"
>Then you flick the reins and head back towards the village center. The horse is a bit feistier in your grip than the last, but manageable nonetheless, and a short time you arrive back at the Harvest's Bounty.

« Reply #425 on: October 10, 2011, 03:03:57 AM »
>Hitch the cart and head inside.

« Reply #426 on: October 10, 2011, 03:11:49 AM »
>Hitch the cart and head inside.

>You hitch the cart and step inside. The inn is substantially busier than when you were here last, though you think you've missed most of the lunchtime rush - many people seem to be finishing their meals, rather than starting them. There's no sign of Minoriko at the moment, though you spot another girl who appears to be a waitress.

« Reply #427 on: October 10, 2011, 03:21:29 AM »
>Are we hungry?
>Flag down the waitress.
>Assuming we do, ask her where Minoriko is.

« Reply #428 on: October 10, 2011, 03:43:39 AM »
>Are we hungry?
>Flag down the waitress.
>Assuming we do, ask her where Minoriko is.

>You had a late breakfast not too long ago. You think you're good for a little while.
>You flag down the waitress and ask after Minoriko.
>"You're Nazrin, right?" she says. "She's been taking the afternoon off, but she told me that if you dropped by to tell you just to go on down and knock."

« Reply #429 on: October 10, 2011, 03:51:37 AM »
>"Thanks."
>Go on down and knock.

« Reply #430 on: October 10, 2011, 03:56:19 AM »
>"Thanks."
>Go on down and knock.

>"No problem" she replies.
>You head down to Minoriko's room and knock on the door.
>"Just a moment!" comes her voice warmly from inside. Sure enough, a moment later, the door opens.
>"Oh, Nazrin," she says, then smiles at you. "It's almost ready, if you can wait just a few more minutes."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #431 on: October 10, 2011, 04:00:19 AM »
>"Yeah, sure. Anything I can do to help out?"

« Reply #432 on: October 10, 2011, 04:04:36 AM »
>"Yeah, sure. Anything I can do to help out?"

>"No, not at all," she says, shaking her head. "I just have to mix the last part of it together and wait for it to cool a little. But thanks anyway."
>She gestures inward. "Come in and have a seat if you like."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #433 on: October 10, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »
>Go in and have a seat, see if she has anything else to say.

« Reply #434 on: October 10, 2011, 04:41:38 AM »
>Go in and have a seat, see if she has anything else to say.

>You step inside and take a seat. Minoriko closes the door behind you, then putters off down the hallway and disappears into another room.
>"I shouldn't be too long!" she calls back.
>There is a very pungent smell in the room, sharp and earthy. It's almost unpleasantly strong, in fact, though not quite enough to drive you to flee. From down the hall, you can hear Minoriko working away at whatever it is that she's doing, humming pleasantly to herself as she goes.

« Reply #435 on: October 10, 2011, 04:55:17 AM »
>Compared to some of the smells we experienced back in the cave, this can't be TOO bad. ... Can it? Try to focus on whatever food smells are lingering in the air.
>May as well take stock. Is that sword the only weapon we have left now?

« Reply #436 on: October 10, 2011, 05:15:06 AM »
>Compared to some of the smells we experienced back in the cave, this can't be TOO bad. ... Can it? Try to focus on whatever food smells are lingering in the air.
>May as well take stock. Is that sword the only weapon we have left now?

>It's certainly not on the level of vileness that some of what you encountered back there was. If anything, this is simply too strong as opposed to outright unpleasant. It is rather reminiscent of the taste of the medicine you took the other night, if a little warmer and more pungent. Unfortunately, it does rather dominate the food smells, with the door and hall in the way.
>You decide to spend a few moments taking stock of your inventory. While you know full-well that you expended or lost every other weapon you possessed along the course of your expedition, a search through your pack uncovers an unexpected item: a kunai, clean and intact! If it's not yours, its make is exactly like it. This raises a question or two... Inclusive of this, your current possessions are:

>Ancient katana (wrapped in cloth)
>Prism Pendant (around neck)
>Seeker's Badge (pinned to chest)
>Borrowed kosode and work pants (worn)
>195 Val Razuan guilders
>Compass
>Traveling pack
>Traveling rations
>Canteen (empty)
>Lockpicks
>1 kunai
>Picture of Sokrates
>Fuwafuwa Heart Droplet
>Mysterious rusty part
>Antique Val Razuan 1 guilder coin
>Dowsing rods
>Tie-dyed umbrella
>Spool of baling twine
>Sharpened quartz stone

« Reply #437 on: October 10, 2011, 05:22:07 AM »
>Now that does raise furthur questions. Could we have picked up the one left in the woods and not even realized it?
>Ponder that while we wait for Minoriko.

« Reply #438 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:06 AM »
>Now that does raise furthur questions. Could we have picked up the one left in the woods and not even realized it?
>Ponder that while we wait for Minoriko.

>You were pretty out of it on your way back, but you don't know you would have had the presence of mind to pick it up, even if you stumbled across it. But even that wouldn't explain how it's ended up cleaner than when you saw it last. You're fairly certain you haven't been sleep-washing, unless the symptoms of this disease are very odd indeed.
>As you ponder that and other things, Minoriko returns carrying a bottle of dark greenish liquid.
>"Sorry to keep you waiting," she says.

« Reply #439 on: October 10, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »
>"No worries."
>"So is that just one dose, or should I space that bottle out?"

« Reply #440 on: October 10, 2011, 05:52:30 AM »
>"No worries."
>"So is that just one dose, or should I space that bottle out?"

>"Oh, goodness no," she says, looking a little taken aback. "I should hope this is enough to last you well past a week, at least."
>She hands you the bottle. "Take two capfuls each morning and night, and be careful not to let it slip your mind. This is what's keeping you on your feet right now."

« Reply #441 on: October 10, 2011, 05:59:14 AM »
>"No worries of that, Minoriko, believe me."
>Consider placing the bottle in our pack, then pause.
>"You got something I can wrap this in, bit of cloth, maybe?"

« Reply #442 on: October 10, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »
>"No worries of that, Minoriko, believe me."
>Consider placing the bottle in our pack, then pause.
>"You got something I can wrap this in, bit of cloth, maybe?"

>"Oh, of course. Just one minute," she says, darting off to another of the rear rooms.
>A few moments later, she returns with what appears to be a small orange hand towel. "Will this do?"

« Reply #443 on: October 10, 2011, 06:08:27 AM »
>"Perfect."
>Accept the towel, wrap the jar in it, then place the jar carefully in our packs.
>"Last thing I want is that jar breaking on me."
>Pause, then look at her in the eye.
>"Look, Minoriko, just wanted to say, before I leave. Whatever happens to me, I know you did everything you could. I probably wouldn't even be able to try and find a cure if you hadn't come up with this medicine here. So, thanks."

« Reply #444 on: October 10, 2011, 06:34:08 AM »
>"Perfect."
>Accept the towel, wrap the jar in it, then place the jar carefully in our packs.
>"Last thing I want is that jar breaking on me."

>You take the towel, wrap the bottle of medicine, and place it in your pack.
>"No, certainly not," she says.

>Pause, then look at her in the eye.
>"Look, Minoriko, just wanted to say, before I leave. Whatever happens to me, I know you did everything you could. I probably wouldn't even be able to try and find a cure if you hadn't come up with this medicine here. So, thanks."

>Minoriko gives you a warm and gentle smile, quiet hints of sadness stirring behind her eyes. "I only wish I could do more, but... you're welcome."
>"I have one more thing for you, before you go," she says, reaching into her pocket and producing a small brown sachet tied with cord. "Inside this is some soil, imbued with as much power as I could lend it. Any seeds you plant in it will grow hearty and quickly. In case you find some remedy out there which would take more time to prepare than you... have."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #445 on: October 10, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
>"Wow, that sounds incredible. Thank you!"

« Reply #446 on: October 10, 2011, 06:54:15 AM »
>Graciously accept the gift.
>"I don't know what I'm going to find, but I'll take any edge I can get. And this definately qualifies."

« Reply #447 on: October 10, 2011, 07:02:19 AM »
>"Wow, that sounds incredible. Thank you!"

>She nods slightly. "Whatever little thing I can do to help."

>Graciously accept the gift.
>"I don't know what I'm going to find, but I'll take any edge I can get. And this definately qualifies."

>You accept the sachet of soil.
>"Good luck, Nazrin," she says. "I'll be keeping you in my thoughts while you're gone. Please... be the exception."

« Reply #448 on: October 10, 2011, 07:07:15 AM »
>Depart from the goddess, to our borrowed ride, then return to Ichirin's.

« Reply #449 on: October 10, 2011, 07:24:57 AM »
>Depart from the goddess, to our borrowed ride, then return to Ichirin's.

>You bid farewell to Minoriko, then return to your horse and drive south along the road past the village to Ichirin's. It is a brief and quiet trip and you arrive without incident. The weather is even showing some small signs of clearing up - more than welcome given the long haul ahead of you.