Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49331 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #390 on: October 09, 2011, 04:55:49 AM »
>"What is your system like, now?"

>"Well, we hadn't yet worked out the details," she says. "But I'd been planning to organize volunteers into groups and have them keep watch around some of the parts where the village meets the forest. Unzan can cover most of the wider open areas, and is apparently fine with doing so for as long as we need, and we can cover the rest from the ground. I hadn't seriously expected many incursions - this was just a precaution, but..."
>She pauses "We can probably arrange rudimentary signals to spread the word if anything is spotted, at least. Ichirin can summon Unzan to wherever she is, and we can spread the more combat-capable around the village. It may be a wearying couple of days, but reaction time will be critical if she really does come here intent to harm people." She frowns. "I wish now that we weren't already committed elsewhere."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #391 on: October 09, 2011, 05:01:47 AM »
>"There is one upside, though... We do have a way to end this that isn't just killing every spider until there's no more to kill. Unfortunately, we're going to have to make her realize she can't fight us without heavy losses. And she certainly can't fight Braston..."

« Reply #392 on: October 09, 2011, 05:08:55 AM »
>"There is one upside, though... We do have a way to end this that isn't just killing every spider until there's no more to kill. Unfortunately, we're going to have to make her realize she can't fight us without heavy losses. And she certainly can't fight Braston..."

>"I'm not concerned about our ability to beat her," Lunasa says. "I'm just concerned about harm coming to anyone else here in the process. Easthaven is a very poorly defensible place."

« Reply #393 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:08 AM »
>"Then it's to everyone's benefit that I get back to Braston as fast as possible. That's another reason I wanted Marisa here, to deal with the youkai. Not that I thought you and your sisters couldn't, Lunasa, I just wanted the village to be as safe as possible, and that means using the biggest gun I know of. Marisa will be able to handle anything the youkai can throw at her- She wouldn't even get the chance to throw that blight cloud at her before Marisa'd have her KO'd. To say nothing of what she could do to any spider that she met between here and there."

« Reply #394 on: October 09, 2011, 05:41:20 AM »
>"Then it's to everyone's benefit that I get back to Braston as fast as possible. That's another reason I wanted Marisa here, to deal with the youkai. Not that I thought you and your sisters couldn't, Lunasa, I just wanted the village to be as safe as possible, and that means using the biggest gun I know of. Marisa will be able to handle anything the youkai can throw at her- She wouldn't even get the chance to throw that blight cloud at her before Marisa'd have her KO'd. To say nothing of what she could do to any spider that she met between here and there."

>"Her reputation does precede her," Lunasa says. "Very well. We'll figure out how best to handle things here in the meantime. You make haste to Braston."

« Reply #395 on: October 09, 2011, 06:03:18 AM »
I think they deserve to know about our plan to have Ichirin try to rehabilite the youkai.

>"Believe me, I intend to."
>They should know. At least the counsilor should know. It's his town as well as ours, if not more.
>"About the youkai, though.... I've spoken to Ichirin about this and she's agreed to try and help this youkai learn to live amongst people. That's the last part of the reason I wanted Marisa here; I knew she could disable the youkai with less damage than any one I know, with much less risk to herself, and deliver her to Ichirin. Ichirin's been able to help wild youkai in the past, I think she can help this one, too."

« Reply #396 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
>"Believe me, I intend to."
>They should know. At least the counsilor should know. It's his town as well as ours, if not more.
>"About the youkai, though.... I've spoken to Ichirin about this and she's agreed to try and help this youkai learn to live amongst people. That's the last part of the reason I wanted Marisa here; I knew she could disable the youkai with less damage than any one I know, with much less risk to herself, and deliver her to Ichirin. Ichirin's been able to help wild youkai in the past, I think she can help this one, too."

>You give Lunasa an affirmative and then decide that you should inform the pair about your intentions with the spider youkai.
>The councilman's mouth hangs agape as you explain, and he fixes you with an acrid look. "Here we are worried we don't have the manpower to keep her from killing someone, and you want to just invite her in?"
>Lunasa simply frowns deeply.

« Reply #397 on: October 09, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »
>Sigh, then walk away a few steps.
>"This might sound crazy, especially given what she did to me, but I... want to give her a chance. At life. The kind of life Ichirin helped me have, the kind I don't think she ever had."
>Look back at them, "She's angry, yes, but when I was confronting her, she seemed almost... damaged, is the word I'd use. Desperate. At the end, when we were fighting and I had the sword, she hated it more than she hated me, was afraid of it. I tried to walk away, to leave, after I cut her with the sword. She was surprised. Like she couldn't believe I didn't want to kill her."
>"The spiders are animals. They can't be reasoned with. But I think she can. I just wasn't the one that could do it. She hated me too much to believe in me, but it was ME she hated, personally. I couldn't reason with her, couldn't reach her, but I think Ichirin can. If anyone can, it's her."

« Reply #398 on: October 09, 2011, 08:25:04 AM »
>Sigh, then walk away a few steps.
>"This might sound crazy, especially given what she did to me, but I... want to give her a chance. At life. The kind of life Ichirin helped me have, the kind I don't think she ever had."
>Look back at them, "She's angry, yes, but when I was confronting her, she seemed almost... damaged, is the word I'd use. Desperate. At the end, when we were fighting and I had the sword, she hated it more than she hated me, was afraid of it. I tried to walk away, to leave, after I cut her with the sword. She was surprised. Like she couldn't believe I didn't want to kill her."
>"The spiders are animals. They can't be reasoned with. But I think she can. I just wasn't the one that could do it. She hated me too much to believe in me, but it was ME she hated, personally. I couldn't reason with her, couldn't reach her, but I think Ichirin can. If anyone can, it's her."

>You sigh and take a few steps away, then explain why you want to help her, and why you even think she can be helped. As you speak, Lunasa's frown grows softer, more thoughtful. You're not sure how well your words are getting through to the councilor; he still seems very dissatisfied, though perhaps as much tired exasperation as stern derision.
>"I suppose it's... possible," Lunasa says. "But I wonder why would she think like that in the first place..."
>"I'm not about to put people in harm's way for her benefit," the councilor says firmly. "If she wants to surrender, then maybe we'll see. But I'm not prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt after what she did to you."
>At this point, you're interrupted by the sound of footsteps rapidly approaching from down the hallway.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #399 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:17 AM »
>Look toward the oncoming footsteps.

« Reply #400 on: October 09, 2011, 08:43:57 AM »
>Do we know if the town council has any say in who Ichirin can or can't house?

« Reply #401 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »
>Look toward the oncoming footsteps.

>You turn towards the footsteps to see Merlin swiftly approaching.
>"Sis!" she calls out. "They're getting kinda edgy back there. You've been gone a while and, well, you know how the crowd's like right now..." She frowns a little.
>The councilman sighs and heads back down the hallway, shaking his head dismissively. "Do whatever you're going to do," he says as he walks off. Merlin cocks her head at him quizzically as he moves past her.
>Lunasa turns to you. "I'm not sure I entirely agree with you, but you have more cause than anyone to be ill-disposed towards her, so I'll give you the benefit of believing this isn't simply a flight of romantic idealism."
>"What's wrong with romantic idealism?" Merlin asks.
>"I'll see if I can manage some sort of compromise," Lunasa continues, barely losing stride.

>Do we know if the town council has any say in who Ichirin can or can't house?

>They may technically, but you don't know for sure. To the best of your knowledge, it hasn't been an issue in past.

« Reply #402 on: October 09, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
>Twitch.
>"Thanks, Lunasa."
>Turn to Merlin, better explain before she gets the wrong idea. "You're probably wondering what that was all about. Long story short, I want to let Ichirin try and rehabilitate the youkai I met in the caves. Counsilor Daisuke there didn't much care for the idea."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:26:40 AM by Old Man Sour »

« Reply #403 on: October 09, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »
>Twitch.
>"Thanks, Lunasa."
>Turn to Merlin, better explain before she gets the wrong idea. "You're probably wondering what that was all about. Long story short, I want to let Ichirin try and rehabilitate the youkai I met in the caves. Counsilor Daisuke there didn't much care for the idea."

>Lunasa nods.
>"It's Kousuke," Lunasa corrects.
>Merlin's eyes widen a little. "You met a youkai in there? Is she a spider, too?"
>"I need to get back," Lunasa says. "Good luck to you, Nazrin, and good speed."

« Reply #404 on: October 09, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
>"Thanks again, Lunasa. For everything. I'll buy ya a round when next I see ya."
>Assuming she departs then, turn to Merlin.
>"She's a spider youkai, that was obvious when she sprouted extra arms and tried to tear my own arm off with em." Crack a grin. "'course, now she's down to about seven."

« Reply #405 on: October 09, 2011, 10:32:42 PM »
>"Thanks again, Lunasa. For everything. I'll buy ya a round when next I see ya."
>Assuming she departs then, turn to Merlin.
>"She's a spider youkai, that was obvious when she sprouted extra arms and tried to tear my own arm off with em." Crack a grin. "'course, now she's down to about seven."

>Lunasa nods respectfully at the gesture, then bids farewell and moves off down the hallway.
>You turn to Merlin and answer her question, with perhaps a few more details than strictly necessary.
>Merlin winces sympathetically. "Owww..."

« Reply #406 on: October 09, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
>"Hey, was her or me at the time."
>Offer up a small huff of air.
>"'course, she probably thinks she got the last word. She's the one that poisoned me."

« Reply #407 on: October 09, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
>"Hey, was her or me at the time."
>Offer up a small huff of air.
>"'course, she probably thinks she got the last word. She's the one that poisoned me."

>"Well, you're back on your feet now!" Merlin says, giving you an encouraging smile. "Let her think whatever; she doesn't sound very nice, anyway."

« Reply #408 on: October 09, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »
>Lunasa might be the brains of this outfit, but Merlin's gotta be the heart.
>"And I aim to stay that way. There's a cure out there somewhere, waiting for me to find it. We're Seekers. That's what we do."
>"And as for the youkai... I'm hoping Ichirin can fix that." Cast a glance back down the corridor after Lunasa. "I get the feeling your sister doesn't hold much hope for the idea."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #409 on: October 09, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »
>"But she'll come around. It'll just depend on how many times we have to whack her on the nose with a slipper and say 'No!' first."

« Reply #410 on: October 09, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »
>Lunasa might be the brains of this outfit, but Merlin's gotta be the heart.
>"And I aim to stay that way. There's a cure out there somewhere, waiting for me to find it. We're Seekers. That's what we do."
>"And as for the youkai... I'm hoping Ichirin can fix that." Cast a glance back down the corridor after Lunasa. "I get the feeling your sister doesn't hold much hope for the idea."

>"Oh?" She gives you a concerned frown. "Still not feeling so good?"
>"Eh." Merlin waves a hand dismissively. "Sis is just like that. Always expecting the worst. She always means well, though - I'm sure she'll do her best to help."

>"But she'll come around. It'll just depend on how many times we have to whack her on the nose with a slipper and say 'No!' first."

>Merlin giggles.

« Reply #411 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »
>"Let's just say I haven't kicked this all the way just yet. But I will."
>"And I am glad that Lunasa's here, that you're all here, to help the village. Far as I know, they're never faced a threat like this before. It's good someone was here to help them all organize, do what they could. Hopefully, once Marisa gets here, she'll take care of things a bit more permanently."
>Jerk our thumb back towards the meeting room. "We'd best get back ourselves. I still gotta see Mr. Kouichi about that horse."

« Reply #412 on: October 09, 2011, 11:39:57 PM »
>"Let's just say I haven't kicked this all the way just yet. But I will."
>"And I am glad that Lunasa's here, that you're all here, to help the village. Far as I know, they're never faced a threat like this before. It's good someone was here to help them all organize, do what they could. Hopefully, once Marisa gets here, she'll take care of things a bit more permanently."
>Jerk our thumb back towards the meeting room. "We'd best get back ourselves. I still gotta see Mr. Kouichi about that horse."

>Merlin nods. "That's the spirit!"
>"Aww... that's kinda sweet of you," she says. "We're just lending a little hand while we're around. Well, Sis mostly; she does all the hard stuff. I just tag along."
>She nods again. "Let's."

« Reply #413 on: October 09, 2011, 11:46:23 PM »
>Meander back towards the meeting with Merlin.
>Merlin's kinda perky, ain't she. Do we like girls like that?

« Reply #414 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:38 AM »
>Meander back towards the meeting with Merlin.
>Merlin's kinda perky, ain't she. Do we like girls like that?

>You make your way back to the meeting room. Already, you can hear Lunasa resuming direction of it.
>Perky, cheerful, kinda loud, not the sharpest knife in the drawer... Oh dear, there's that shameful drunken memory again. And here you thought you'd tossed it safely in the darkened recesses of your mind. Then again... do you?

>Soon enough, you arrive back at the meeting. Lunasa glances back in your direction as you enter, and gives you an uncertain frown. Merlin just gives her a little wave and heads back over to her seat.

« Reply #415 on: October 10, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »
>Glance about for Kouichi and, once we find him, attract his attention and beckon him over to us.
>Steal a glance at Merlin's backside when neither she not her sister are watching. Dull or no, she is kinda cute...

« Reply #416 on: October 10, 2011, 01:08:15 AM »
>Glance about for Kouichi and, once we find him, attract his attention and beckon him over to us.
>Steal a glance at Merlin's backside when neither she not her sister are watching. Dull or no, she is kinda cute...

>You quickly locate Kouichi and then try to flag him over. He look about uncertainly for a moment, then quietly stands up. Lunasa's gaze follows your own until she ascertains what you're doing, then she turns back to the crowd and continues where she left off.
>You steal a quick glance at Merlin's backside as she returns to her seat. Her skirt is really too loose-fitting to see much, but she does fill out the rest of her outfit rather pleasantly. Frankly speaking though, the better view is from the front...

>Koichi makes his way over to you. "So, I guess you're wanting to get going as fast as you can, then?"

« Reply #417 on: October 10, 2011, 01:24:35 AM »
>Give him a nod. "Speed'll serve everyone of us well."

« Reply #418 on: October 10, 2011, 01:34:06 AM »
>Give him a nod. "Speed'll serve everyone of us well."

>He nods. "Right you are. May as well get going, then."
>He starts to exit the room.

« Reply #419 on: October 10, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
>Follow him.
>Glance behind on the way out. Spare a moment to hope that everyone in that room will still be here, intact and alive, when this is over, and we come back.
>Spare another moment to hope that, despite our bravado, we make it back intact and alive. Somehow.