Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 48899 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2011, 05:11:09 AM »
>"I.... I don't know. I'm not even sure it's "she" rather than "they". I couldn't determine if she could control the other spiders or not. She might simply have been living with them, a youkai with arachnid roommates. She called them friends, though."
>"Well, either way, whether she's in charge or not, I know she doesn't want to see them dead. Or hungry. She'll only attack people persoanlly if she thinks her friends need food badly. At least, I think so. As for the spiders themselves... I don't know. I'm inclined to think they won't be even that reserved. I think you'll see a lot more of them before the youkai comes out."
>"And there's more than one type of spider, too. There's at least four different types, and two of em have nasty projectiles."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:34:36 AM by Sourfang »

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2011, 05:23:31 AM »
>"I.... I don't know. I'm not even sure it's "she" rather than "they". I couldn't determine if she could control the other spiders or not. She might simply have been living with them, a youkai with arachnid roommates. She called them friends, though."
>"Well, either way, whether she's in charge or not, I know she doesn't want to see them dead. Or hungry. She'll only attack people persoanlly if she thinks her friends need food badly. At least, I think so. As for the spiders themselves... I don't know. I'm inclined to think they won't be even that reserved. I think you'll see a lot more of them before the youkai comes out."
>"And there's more than one type of spider, too. There's at least four different types, and three of em have nasty projectiles."

>"It can go both ways," Ichirin says, "though most animal youkai share a kinship with their kind rather than control them. Some can, though..."
>Ichirin frowns. "Unfortunate news, either way. You said you believe she blames all of us for something that happened to her kind, right? If she was as vengeful against you for what you did... what makes you think she mightn't try the same with us?"
>"Minoriko mentioned the acid," she says, "but there are more like that?"

« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2011, 05:30:22 AM »
>"I don't know that she won't. But with me, it was more personal. She hates surface-dwellers for something from the past, but she had specific reasons to hate me above them all. I was the one that 'invaded her home and murdered her friends, all because they were hungry and ate food'; I was the one carrying that sword that she may have hated even more than me. She has general reasons to hate everyone else, she has speficic reasons to hate me. I don't think she'll be agressive with others as she was with me, and since I'm taking this thing with me, that'll be one less thing around here to enrage her."
>"Besides, if she hated everyone else as much as she did me, I think she would have acted on it by now."
>Fill in Ichirin about the large spiders, the green spiders with the paralytic toxin, the unseen spider with the extremely painful bite we met in the dark of the river, and the glue spitter. Think that covers 'em all.

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:38 AM »
>"I don't know that she won't. But with me, it was more personal. She hates surface-dwellers for something from the past, but she had specific reasons to hate me above them all. I was the one that 'invaded her home and murdered her friends, all because they were hungry and ate food'; I was the one carrying that sword that she may have hated even more than me. She has general reasons to hate everyone else, she has speficic reasons to hate me. I don't think she'll be agressive with others as she was with me, and since I'm taking this thing with me, that'll be one less thing around here to enrage her."
>"Besides, if she hated everyone else as much as she did me, I think she would have acted on it by now."
>Fill in Ichirin about the large spiders, the green spiders with the paralytic toxin, the unseen spider with the extremely painful bite we met in the dark of the river, and the glue spitter. Think that covers 'em all.

>"I only hope so," she says. "We will stop her if she shows herself, but I fear the harm she could do to the villagers if she can..." She pauses and takes a steadying breath, then forces the rest of her words out. "If she can do to them what she did to you."
>"That may be true..." she says, trying to regather her composure. "Though the other spiders haven't shown themselves either. This is longer than it's been between cattle thefts since they first started. I'd like to think this is a good sign, rather than a worrisome one..."
>You detail the various spiders that you've encountered since your investigation began. Ichirin listens attentively as she finishes the rubbing, occasionally asking a question for clarification.
>"I'll make sure to relay all this to Lunasa," she says, once you're finished, "though I imagine she'll want to speak with you in person now that you're back with us. Only once you're feeling up to it, of course," she adds.

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2011, 06:12:58 AM »
>"They might be taking time to lick their wounds. There's definately a lot of them, but I know I did some damage."
>From what we know of the Prismrivers, would they be affected by the youkai's gas cloud?
>"Maybe after a few hours nap, then I'll put myself at Lunasa's disposal. That'll give me a chance, too, to recall anything I might've missed." And mull over our current lot.

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »
>"They might be taking time to lick their wounds. There's definately a lot of them, but I know I did some damage."
>From what we know of the Prismrivers, would they be affected by the youkai's gas cloud?
>"Maybe after a few hours nap, then I'll put myself at Lunasa's disposal. That'll give me a chance, too, to recall anything I might've missed." And mull over our current lot.

>"Well, whatever the cause, we'll just have to make the best use of this reprieve as we all can. I don't intend to allow anyone else here to get hurt."
>Now that you stop to think of it, you don't believe poltergeists can get sick, at least not from conventional illnesses, although you're not sure of the specifics. They can certainly get drunk, at least...
>"Of course," she says. "Take whatever time you need and I'll let her know."

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2011, 06:35:07 AM »
>Take a breath, then look out the window again. If Ichirin had power, this village would be safe forever.
>"I'll look around Braston as well, see if there's some seekers or anyone else that can fight that's available, tell em what's happening out here."
>"And... I think..."

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
>Take a breath, then look out the window again. If Ichirin had power, this village would be safe forever.
>"I'll look around Braston as well, see if there's some seekers or anyone else that can fight that's available, tell em what's happening out here."
>"And... I think..."

>You take a breath and look back out the window; the sun is lower now and its brilliant orange glow is growing duller by the minute. Ichirin certainly has the will; gentle though she may usually be, you know well enough that she can be extremely headstrong when it counts. But with Unzan's help, you think there's a chance that she just might be able to make good on that intention. At least, you'd like to hope that there is.
>"I'll trust your judgement," she says. "We may not have a lot of money to spare, but the lives of the villagers are worth whatever it costs to help ensure their safety."
>Ichirin looks at you expectantly after you trail off.

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2011, 06:58:09 AM »
>"Even after...."
>Look her in the eye.
>"I still want you to help her, if you can. Despite... well, this."

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2011, 07:07:19 AM »
>"Even after...."
>Look her in the eye.
>"I still want you to help her, if you can. Despite... well, this."

>Ichirin returns your gaze and holds it until it almost becomes uncomfortable. Doubt and grief and strife drift across her features like pale shadows, yet you can see a subtle warmth swell beneath them. Tears well in the corners of her eyes once more.
>"You can still say that and truly mean it?" she asks.

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »
>Please don't get emotional again, Ichirin. Not sure I can handle that.
>Simply nod, solemly. "What's the point of me hating her? What's done is done. I mean, she tried to kill me in more ways than this. I beat everything else she threw at me, I'm going to beat this too. And when I do, I'll come back here. I don't... know if she'll forgive me, for what I did. But I'm not gonna waste my time hating her. And if she CAN forgive me... then I want to hear it myself."

Narouge

• Narry the Corruptor
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2011, 07:31:24 AM »
-Give a giant fairy gummy to Sour, because he that sweet.
"there is a Fine line between genius and insanity. I see it every day running screaming past it with scissors."
-8-bit theater, Red Mage, taken as personal saying.

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »
>Please don't get emotional again, Ichirin. Not sure I can handle that.
>Simply nod, solemly. "What's the point of me hating her? What's done is done. I mean, she tried to kill me in more ways than this. I beat everything else she threw at me, I'm going to beat this too. And when I do, I'll come back here. I don't... know if she'll forgive me, for what I did. But I'm not gonna waste my time hating her. And if she CAN forgive me... then I want to hear it myself."

>Ichirin's lip quivers as you finish, her eyes quickly growing damp with tears. It looks almost as if she were trying to both smile and weep at once. Then she throws her arms around you and holds you close.
>"Oh, Nazrin..." she says, her voice shaking. "I have never been prouder of you than I am right now. Whatever happens."

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »
>Ooooh, she got emotional again. Well, we can handle that. ... Maybe we can handle that.
>... Maybe we can't.
>Don't let TOO many tears fall, and try to keep our voice steady and whisper. "I promise I'll come back to you."

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
>Ooooh, she got emotional again. Well, we can handle that. ... Maybe we can handle that.
>... Maybe we can't.
>Don't let TOO many tears fall, and try to keep our voice steady and whisper. "I promise I'll come back to you."

>You try to keep up a stoic front. Even here, even now, you really don't want to start bawling. But it's all just too much; you survive the worst ordeal of your life only to wake up and be told that you might have no more than a week or two to live. And then there's Ichirin... You feel the tears in your own eyes. It's too much...
>Ichirin sobs openly, while you echo her as quietly as you can manage. The two of you stay together like that for a few more moments, her arms warm and protective around you. Then you whisper her a promise. You will survive this, no matter what Minoriko says, no matter what it is that's killing you.
>"I believe you," Ichirin replies.

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2011, 08:23:32 AM »
>Stay like this until Ichirin (and us) calm down.

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
>Stay like this until Ichirin (and us) calm down.

>You stay in Ichirin's embrace until the both of you calm down. You manage to quiet your tears before she does, then try to discretely brush them away, though you find yourself still feeling quite unsettled, despite all your pronouncements to the contrary. Eventually Ichirin pauses as well and lets you go. Her face is slick with tears and her eyes are red, though she manages a weak smile beneath it all.
>"Is there anything else I can do for you now?" she asks. "Are you hungry?"

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
>If we are now: "A little, yeah."
>If not: "I'dve thought so, but no. Not really."

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2011, 08:41:15 AM »
>If we are now: "A little, yeah."
>If not: "I'dve thought so, but no. Not really."

>You still don't have much appetite, but just enough to ponder if a little something to nibble on mightn't go astray... You say as much and Ichirin nods.
>"Ok, I'll go get you something," she says. "And then did you want me to go get Minoriko, or just let you rest a little more?"

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »
>Consider that for a moment. There's an irony here, too. Not a week ago, we were wide eyed and enthusiastic, away from new, a newly-minted seeker, with the fortunes of the world waiting for us to claim them. Now...
>"If what you said earlier was true, then there's probably not much Minoriko can do for me she hasn't already. Tell her thanks for me, by the way. I think I'll just rest, recover my strength. Then I can see Lunasa when I come to, if she wants, and then get back to Braston."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:50:15 AM by Sourfang »

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »
>Consider that for a moment. There's an irony here, too. Not a week ago, we were wide eyed and enthusiastic, away from new, a newly-minted seeker, with the fortunes of the world waiting for us to claim them. Now...
>"If what you said earlier was true, then there's probably not much Minoriko can do for me she hasn't already. Tell her thanks for me, by the way. I think I'll just rest, recover my strength. Then I can see Lunasa when I come to, if she wants, and then get back to Braston."

>This has been a brutal and even cruel collision with the flipside of a Seeker's life. On the other hand, you did discover something lost and powerful and probably very old, and soon enough you'll have unearthed a cure to something that baffles even doctors. Or so you try to tell yourself...
>Ichirin nods. "Rest well."
>Then she turns and leaves the room, walking towards the kitchen.

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2011, 12:22:16 AM »
>Hold the sword up before us, and quip, "As if I needed any more reason to keep you."
>"Hm... Wonder what you'd say, Honey, if I told you. Would you even really understand?"
>Any sign of that walking stick we grabbed outside the cave?
>Lay back and await luncheon.

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »
>Hold the sword up before us, and quip, "As if I needed any more reason to keep you."
>"Hm... Wonder what you'd say, Honey, if I told you. Would you even really understand?"
>Any sign of that walking stick we grabbed outside the cave?
>Lay back and await luncheon.

>You hold the sword up and quip at it. Examining it in this light makes the quality of its craftsmanship all the clearer; it would be an excellent specimen of its art, and probably pretty valuable even without any of its spiritual powers or history. But with them... you imagine it could be worth a great deal of money to the right person.
>Then you think back to a lighter time, only days ago. Somehow it seems far longer than that, now... From your limited experience, while fairies clearly understand pain and unpleasantness in their own unique terms, the concept of death, as it applies to the other races, is something they have a hard time truly understanding. To them, it's just some sort of bigger and longer unpleasantness. But perhaps it's not such a bad thing to not really comprehend this... Right now, you're not sure you want to, either.
>Not that you can see, but it was really little more than a suitably-shaped tree branch; you'd been too out of it to sculpt it more precisely.
>You lay back and enjoy the soft bed beneath you, as much as you can with the thoughts churning through your mind. You are vaguely aware of idle chatter towards the common room, as well as Ichirin working in the kitchen. Your weariness clings heavily to you, but you're far too preoccupied at the moment for it to drag you back into sleep. Soon enough, Ichirin returns bearing a plate with two kinds of cheese and a hunk of bread, as well as a mug of mint tea.
>"Here you are," she says, setting it down on the nightstand.

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2011, 01:16:15 AM »
>Speaking of great deals of money, bet someone would pay to know about that torii gate down there. Not sure about sending them into that spider's nest before this particular situation is resolved, but there's still profit to be made, either way. Something to check on back in town.
>"Thanks."
>"Just out of curiousity. Has Shimmer been in to see me since I got back?"

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2011, 01:26:46 AM »
>Speaking of great deals of money, bet someone would pay to know about that torii gate down there. Not sure about sending them into that spider's nest before this particular situation is resolved, but there's still profit to be made, either way. Something to check on back in town.
>"Thanks."
>"Just out of curiousity. Has Shimmer been in to see me since I got back?"

>Well, Marisa did say that there was a delegation of archaeologists from the Grand Academy working on a small islet off the north edge of Estval. They'd almost certainly be using Braston as a base of supply and you imagine they would be interested in hearing about this. Of course, academics aren't always the best money, either...
>You thank Ichirin and then inquire about Shimmer.
>"She was actually floating around when they first dragged you in," Ichirin replies, giving you a curious look.

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2011, 02:12:28 AM »
>"Was just wondering."
>Have a bite of that bread, then pause.
>"I was... thinking about Honeysuckle, actually. You remember I told you about her? Just wondering what she'd make of this."

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2011, 02:15:52 AM »
>"Was just wondering."
>Have a bite of that bread, then pause.
>"I was... thinking about Honeysuckle, actually. You remember I told you about her? Just wondering what she'd make of this."

>You take a bite of the bread, and can practically feel your appetite creeping back into existence as you chew on it.
>Ichirin frowns slightly. "Which part of this?"

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2011, 02:19:20 AM »
>As softly as we can, "The dying part."
>"You've housed a number of fairys in your time, right? Don't suppose any of them even talked about it at all."

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:40 AM »
>As softly as we can, "The dying part."
>"You've housed a number of fairys in your time, right? Don't suppose any of them even talked about it at all."

>Ichirin's frown gives way to a hint of a motherly smile.
>"You know that fairies can't die in the same way that the rest of us do," she says. "If they're seriously injured, they just scatter into the air and spring back into existence a little while later. I suppose it's a little like being knocked unconscious," she muses. "But this means that none of them really understand what it's like to fear death. Even if they were to rush headlong into horrible danger, nothing could truly harm them. Most of the time, they'd scatter before they could even feel real pain. That alone would give someone a very different perspective on the world."
>"Of course, many have lived to see others die, whether they were a cute forest creature or a human who used to bake them cookies. On some level, I think they may understand that they're gone for good, but a fairy's memory is..." She pauses, frowning. "Well, perhaps I shouldn't say it's necessarily short, but... ephemeral. They are creatures of the moment, much like the nature they embody. They can certainly cry over losses, even trivial ones, but I don't think they understand true grief as we do; it's simply too anchored in the past. There have probably been exceptions, though; there are as many fairies as there are facets of nature itself."
>"As for Honey... If she really does like you, I imagine she'd be quite upset that you 'got all hurt by nasty things'," she says, doing a reasonable impression of a fairy's tone. "Just because they don't carry grief with them doesn't mean they don't care about people."
>Then she pauses and smiles at you a little. "You really have a soft spot for her, don't you?"

« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2011, 03:04:24 AM »
>Have a swallow of tea, then offer a wry 'hmph'.
>"More than I thought I ever would."
>Break off a piece of cheese and have a go at it. "Anyone ever tell you you're a wise woman?"