Author Topic: New forum theme  (Read 20949 times)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: New forum theme
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
I think the complaints are more about people not really being crazy about change

Well yeah. It doesn't feel like home, y'know?

But if it's a huge pain in the ass to maintain multiple themes I won't complain :[

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »
You guys know there's tools like Stylish where you can import your own CSS on any webpage (kinda like GreaseMonkey but for CSS rather than Javascript).  It would take all of 5 minutes to learn the VERY basic CSS needed to edit colors, all you need to do is edit the lines that say Background.  The hard part you guys can't do is the actual structure of the theme (what the forum software spits out) (well you could but it'd be a lot more work for you than for me to do it), but color editing is just a few lines in CSS. 

Hell I'll upload the site's main CSS file and point out which sections do what and would be more than happy to help with any questions (or make any accommodations to make it easier for you guys).  There really isn't a reason why I have to be the only one supplying multiple themes, color manipulation is pretty easy with very common browser plugins.

Eventually I will have a way to change color palettes built into the site but for now it'll be one color scheme.  The idea of the theme rewrite was with this in mind, so you guys can easily add your own customizations to it.  Most big web communities have a set of user made custom scripts or CSS to change looks or add features beyond the default.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:16:18 PM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
My only complaint with the theme is that "New Posts" and "No New Posts" are kinda hard to tell apart. :\
I mentioned it to Ruro, but this is really my only serious complaint with the new colors.  I'm red-green colorblind, so there's almost no difference whatsoever between the two for me.  It's annoying when I can't tell at a glance if one of the announcement boards has been updated.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »
For that, I suggest darkening "no new posts" by half, instead of just making it grayscale with no other changes.

As for the rest, I'd comment, but I'm obviously biased towards light blue...

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 04:19:32 AM »
The images are merely placeholders.  There will be a new set of images as soon as the server-tan contest is completed.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 06:24:19 AM »
I suppose that's caused by the contrast. You click on MotK, and in your mind's eye you expect it to be the light-on-dark color scheme, whoa wait it's bright instead. I mean, there's plenty of websites which are black-on-white, which is definitely a higher contrast than this.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
To me the text is just harder to read. The black doesn't stand out as much against the blue and it hurts to squint at it for too long. That and half the colored fonts are impossible to read. Is it possible to give all the colors black edging? I have no idea what Stylish is. Or CSS. I've never wanted to change the background to somewhere I go before. If you were willing to tell people how to change it that would be good.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
I have a hard time imagining how the black can be hard to see on the blue. I find the contrast between the two to be very sufficient. I can still make out the letters properly even when I take my glasses off, and they are rather strong ones.

Are you sure this isn't just your display settings not giving enough contrast?

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »
Pretty sure. It's not impossible to read, it just takes more effort, which wears after a few paragraphs. I think the dark blue is more blendy then the light blue. It's definitely noticable for me that the quote boxes are much easier to read, being white background and black text.
In fact quote boxes are so pleasing to the eye right now that I'm tempted to write all my posts this way.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
I can agree on the quote boxes, yeah.

Haven't experienced any issues with the darker blue boxes, but I don't think I've had to read anything long in them yet either, so I guess it could just be that.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »
I wouldn't recommend writing your posts in quote boxes.

And if black text on a light turquoise background is difficult to read, you must find a great many sites hard to look at.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
I gotta say I personally prefer the lighter theme a lot because practically all sites I visit frequently use light backgrounds, as well as IRC with white background as well. Usually changing from MotK with the dark theme to any other site was pretty awful for me, especially at night.

I'd definitely prefer keeping a light theme over going back to a dark one. I'd keep the blue as well, but I guess if some people have problems with the darker blue that's something that can be taken care of easily as well.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »
Don't use your comp in a dark room/turn on the lights?

I'm fine with the colours, but the font size needs to be a bit bigger.

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 02:12:20 PM »
my only complaints are the quote boxes are white, and that is mildly triggering for me but I've been able to deal with it fine so far. aside from that I really like the colour scheme and everything else as it is.

I also agree that the text is a little harder to read

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »
Code: [Select]
code boxes need to be fixed
The contrast between grey on black and black on blue hurts.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
I have to agree with everyone saying that this forum is a literal pain to look at now.

idk what it is but reading this board strains my eyes and makes my head hurt.

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »
It's up for a reason.  Also, stop viewing it in the darkness.  XP

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
You guys know there's tools like Stylish where you can import your own CSS on any webpage (kinda like GreaseMonkey but for CSS rather than Javascript).  It would take all of 5 minutes to learn the VERY basic CSS needed to edit colors, all you need to do is edit the lines that say Background.  The hard part you guys can't do is the actual structure of the theme (what the forum software spits out) (well you could but it'd be a lot more work for you than for me to do it), but color editing is just a few lines in CSS. 

Hell I'll upload the site's main CSS file and point out which sections do what and would be more than happy to help with any questions (or make any accommodations to make it easier for you guys).  There really isn't a reason why I have to be the only one supplying multiple themes, color manipulation is pretty easy with very common browser plugins.

Eventually I will have a way to change color palettes built into the site but for now it'll be one color scheme.  The idea of the theme rewrite was with this in mind, so you guys can easily add your own customizations to it.  Most big web communities have a set of user made custom scripts or CSS to change looks or add features beyond the default.
The problem with that is that the theme (at least in its current implementation) is dumb from a HTML/CSS standpoint.  For instance, the colors for a user's name is stuck in a style attribute instead of using a class like 'role-acolyte' and then picking the color in a CSS file.  That needs to be addressed for the board to be more easily themed by users.

If you use a color tag there's the same problem, where ideally the color selection would be done through a class so it can be tweaked if necessary.  As an example, one forum I frequent switched away from VBulletein to a custom Vanilla board, and we switched from a dark-blue color theme to this.  As a result, certain color tags that worked fine on the old board ("lime" for truth) became nigh-unreadable and I did some adjusting on my end to make it nicer.

Hard-to-read colors here include the Shrine Janitor color, the Idiot Maiden color, and the color #F88379 being used for what I think is the Global Mod primary group.  They were fine on the dark theme, but they're much harder to read on the blue.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

KennyMan666

• Precursor
  • The Saga
    • One Piece: Pure Corruption
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »
As long as the old one, or something similar, returns at least as an option...

My opinion on this skin is that it looks pretty much horrible, and doesn't fit MotK at all.
Fly & High!!

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »
bitchbitchbitch...
Someone forgot to take their tongue-in-cheek meds.

KennyMan666

• Precursor
  • The Saga
    • One Piece: Pure Corruption
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
I didn't think that was bitchy at all. (you should have seen what I was going to post initially, though. That was bitchy, and the exact reason I deleted it all and posted that instead.)
Fly & High!!