Author Topic: New forum theme  (Read 20867 times)

New forum theme
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:05:08 AM »
The new light blue forum theme makes my eyes cry. Is there an option to revert to the old dark blue one? (if not I am requesting it.)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: New forum theme
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:11:19 AM »
Pretty sure you can change it from your userpage -> look and layout.  For most forums on here, anyway.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »
I actually have to agree, while the new theme is cute I'd rather not keep it permanently, even if having it as an alternative option for those that prefer it is probably a good idea.

Pretty sure you can change it from your userpage -> look and layout.  For most forums on here, anyway.

Oh, really? I'll try that, then.

In which case, I'll say that once TSO's birthday shenanigans are over with, I'd rather keep the old theme as the default for people, if it isn't already. :V
There was something here once. Wonder what...

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:14:03 AM »
We had a dark blue theme?

Oh, and I still hope we keep the new fonts when we go back. I'm growing quite fond of this. <3

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:18:58 AM »
So as long as we're going by matters of personal taste: I like the new theme. Some of the colored fonts might need to get tweaked, but I find this much easier on my eyes. It's soothing to read on this background, to me.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:19:53 AM »

I'm not seeing it there, personally:

Show board descriptions inside boards.
Show child boards on every page inside boards, not just the first.
Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible.
Don't show users' avatars.
Don't show users' signatures.
Return to topics after posting by default.
Don't warn on new replies made while posting.
Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list.
Show most recent posts at the top.
Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.

Nothing about changing the forum skin to default.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:41 AM »
Seconding rdj - not seeing an option to change board visual theme in my profile, I'm afraid.

Oh, and I still hope we keep the new fonts when we go back. I'm growing quite fond of this. <3

I actually don't like the main new font much - the edge of letters tend to be jagged for me. I don't know if that's my display settings, tastes, not remembering the previous one doing that anyway, or the font itself, but it's not my first preference.

And a more legitimate criticism of the theme: The background color is the same as the color for some of the 'boxes' used for forum posts, so there's no indication of the 'edges' there. (Like the box that's supposed to be around the posting interface in 'post reply,' if I recall correctly).

Tengukami

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Edible

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:30 AM »
Whoops!  Guess it's admin-only! <_<

A ha ha ha ha ha!

Tengukami

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:59 AM »
And a more legitimate criticism of the theme: The background color is the same as the color for some of the 'boxes' used for forum posts, so there's no indication of the 'edges' there. (Like the box that's supposed to be around the posting interface in 'post reply,' if I recall correctly).

Huh? I am not seeing that at all. The "post reply" box here is a darker shade than the background.

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 04:26:58 AM »
I'm also in support for changing back to the old theme. Or, at least making it an option. This was fine for the sake of birthday shenanigans, but (no offense to TSO) I find it to be an eyesore. It's not very fitting of the forums, either, in my opinion.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 04:27:41 AM »
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/readable/

Not sure I want to forcibly tweak things like that - especially if people use different fonts for stylistic reasons and it removes that effect (which I HAVE done in a few writing segments).

Huh? I am not seeing that at all. The "post reply" box here is a darker shade than the background.

Likewise with every other post in threads normally? Hmm... maybe it's firefox 3.5's fault. What browser are you using, and what was the theme designed for...?

Whoops!  Guess it's admin-only! <_<

A ha ha ha ha ha!

Yeah, that was my second guess. Whoops.

I'm not exactly hurried to have this option added/returned, but I would appreciate it being on the table in maybe a week or two?

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:29:21 AM »
Not sure I want to forcibly tweak things like that - especially if people use different fonts for stylistic reasons and it removes that effect (which I HAVE done in a few writing segments).

The default setting of Readability is very simple. Not really any "forcible tweaking" required.

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:14:04 AM »
I actually didn't get to see the old layout much at all, but I recall it not being this when I added it to my favorites way back.  When I finally decided to join my first thought was "Wait, is this the right site?" followed by "Is that girl from Nichijou?  I've been meaning to watch that..."

It's a brighter color, but it's actually not too bad on the eyes.  That might be a different story if my lamp wasn't on, though.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 08:30:07 AM »
Theme is actually not just for my birthday shenanigans.  Please wait warmly as other things are being put together at the moment.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
The blue is actually good with the font Chocolate Cooky.

I'm trying it right now, and it's fucking good.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Edible

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »
Theme is actually not just for my birthday shenanigans.  Please wait warmly as other things are being put together at the moment.

helvetica standard at her computer

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
helvetica standard at her computer
I chortled.

Wait ... are you saying that angel is a trap!?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 05:25:27 AM »
(9:24:21 PM) HomurachanHomHom: I love this new theme and I don't want it to go away
(9:24:40 PM) HomurachanHomHom: but shouldn't the new post icon be the right-facing ghost?
(9:25:04 PM) HomurachanHomHom: then the new sub-forum icon would face left and then turn grey with no new posts

Can we please do this?

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »
I actually don't like the main new font much - the edge of letters tend to be jagged for me. I don't know if that's my display settings, tastes, not remembering the previous one doing that anyway, or the font itself, but it's not my first preference.

I think there's an option in Windows that allows you to use 'TrueType fonts'. It eliminates the jaggedness for me (this font /is/ Calibri, though, right?)

As for the theme, is it possible to implement a way to switch between themes? Since the only people who seem to be able to are admins, and them switching themes probably switches the themes for the entire forum.

I don't want to seem too demanding, but it'd be nice to see a white-background theme too. Black and blue just never felt right to me :/

wooterz

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »
Dear god I hope this isn't the new default theme. It seriously gives me a headache.

Roo

• My Imagination is a substitute for reality...
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 06:02:23 AM »
I personally love the new theme. While some are right about difficult to read text and such, It should definately become an optional website theme.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 03:00:50 AM »
Dear god I hope this isn't the new default theme. It seriously gives me a headache.
Can you explain exactly what bothers you?  I'm currently developing the new replacement theme and so far I've kept the blue shading on the post boxes.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

wooterz

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 06:15:52 AM »
It's just too...bright.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:37 AM »
I don't hate the new theme but I preferred the old black and orange. Is it complicated to have SMF support multiple themes or something?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 06:44:04 AM »
Complicated in the manhours I have to put behind supporting it.  SMF has no problems supporting multiple themes but there's tons of customizations I've done I really don't want to worry about having to keep synched across multiple themes.  Same with any bugs that may crop up.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:02 AM »
Um, I think I have an issue with the theme, which is that everyone keeps talking about font changes but the font looks the same to me :V

Also I could probably get used to this theme too, but I have to join the old-theme-hurt-less team
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Tengukami

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
I'm honestly really not getting the complaint about the color scheme. The softer hues of blue are probably the least offensive colors on the spectrum to the eyes. Our retinas are in fact tuned to accept blues in the softer portion of the spectrum due to us having a sky of that color!

I think the complaints are more about people not really being crazy about change, or because they spend most of their time on websites with color schemes that clash with MotK.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »
I'm not in favor nor against this theme, but I must say the first day I saw it it burned my eyes. I was so used to the darker theme.  :V
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
I think the complaints are more about people not really being crazy about change

Well yeah. It doesn't feel like home, y'know?

But if it's a huge pain in the ass to maintain multiple themes I won't complain :[