Author Topic: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy  (Read 56153 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »
When you talked about generic immigration before, you mentioned how the low-level jobs are the likely ones to get at first, and that got me thinking. Depending on the circumstances, do you think are there any higher-level jobs that might be available, if not right away, then a bit into someone's stay in another country?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
If I remember right, you're from Baltimore, right?  What was it like here back when you were growing up?  Which neighborhood did you live in, and what was it like back then?  What things were there to do around town during those times.  Seems like a lot has changed here from times past, while some others things stay the same.  What were some awesome places to eat back then?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »
When you talked about generic immigration before, you mentioned how the low-level jobs are the likely ones to get at first, and that got me thinking. Depending on the circumstances, do you think are there any higher-level jobs that might be available, if not right away, then a bit into someone's stay in another country?

Yeah, actually the EU has this thing called a "blue card". It's a fast-track to temporary or even permanent residency for highly educated and/or highly skilled immigrants. Apart from that, earning permanent residence status through a number of years of living on a temp pass that you renew every year will open many more doors for you, as potential employers will feel more confident that you'll stay, and that you're settled.

If I remember right, you're from Baltimore, right?  What was it like here back when you were growing up?  Which neighborhood did you live in, and what was it like back then?  What things were there to do around town during those times.  Seems like a lot has changed here from times past, while some others things stay the same.  What were some awesome places to eat back then?

Yeah, I lived in northwest for most of my childhood, just past Mondawmin. I remember there weren't a lot of guns when I was a kid. If someone used a gun it was a really big deal. Mostly it was fighting and stabbing. It was still unsafe, but not like, warzone-level unsafe.  Baltimore then still had the look of a predominantly working class and industry based town; not as much development downtown, and the harbor was pretty modest. By the time I was old enough to get downtown and enjoy things, the Metro and the Inner Harbor had been developed, so that was always a fun time. Places to eat ... man, I used to love Gino's, and Arthur Treacher's, and Lumm's. Those were my favorite restaurants. They might still exist in other parts of the country but I haven't seen them in Baltimore in ages. Also, Almond Smash soda from Suburban. Really miss that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:47 AM »
Yeah, I lived in northwest for most of my childhood, just past Mondawmin.
Eheee, you basically lived across the JFX from where I live.  :V  Although I assume it's more up towards Pikesville or so.  Anyway, the area around Mondawmin, stretching down towards Security Square mall, is superbad now.  I think they remodeled Mondawmin mall recently though, supposed to be okay now.

I remember there weren't a lot of guns when I was a kid. If someone used a gun it was a really big deal. Mostly it was fighting and stabbing. It was still unsafe, but not like, warzone-level unsafe.  Baltimore then still had the look of a predominantly working class and industry based town; not as much development downtown, and the harbor was pretty modest. By the time I was old enough to get downtown and enjoy things, the Metro and the Inner Harbor had been developed, so that was always a fun time. Places to eat ... man, I used to love Gino's, and Arthur Treacher's, and Lumm's. Those were my favorite restaurants. They might still exist in other parts of the country but I haven't seen them in Baltimore in ages. Also, Almond Smash soda from Suburban. Really miss that.
Ahahaaaa.  I live in Roland Park, and a recently-married couple recently got held up and had all their stuff stolen (and their brand-new wedding rings), right on Roland Avenue.  Anyway, I don't think any of those places still exist, but there are some good places around if you know where to look.  (This is making me hungry. x_X)  Also, they tore down Memorial Stadium and turned it into a retirement home.

Tengukami

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »
Also, they tore down Memorial Stadium and turned it into a retirement home.

And as run down as Memorial Stadium was, even though it was a great park to see a game, Camden Yards is just this giant brick battleship monstrosity. Hate that thing.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
What is your favourite girl scout cookie?

Also, because I am laughably bad at history after 1949:
For example, when Reagan had his SDI project, and it was utterly ridiculed by the time he left office, but then Bush Jr introduces the exact same idea only under a different name, and pundits started debating the feasibility of it. Again. Who was there to remind them of SDI, really?
Strategic Defense Initiative, was it? What was this all about? I'm sorry for being dumb about things I should know about. ._.

Tengukami

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2011, 01:54:05 AM »
What is your favourite girl scout cookie?

Those chocolate covered chocolate clover cookies. Man I miss those.

Also, because I am laughably bad at history after 1949: Strategic Defense Initiative, was it? What was this all about? I'm sorry for being dumb about things I should know about. ._.

A missile and laser-shooting-satellite defense shield against a nuclear attack. Most people remember the R&D on the laser-shooting satellites because the idea was ludicrous, and the project was very expensive. The less glamorous part was the missile defense shield, which was still only slightly less expensive but with not very encouraging numbers on how many missiles could be destroyed before reaching us. So the idea pretty much died with him. But the missile defense shield idea continued, under Clinton in fact. Bush Jr. would expand the idea into Europe. And I've seen articles from supposedly intelligent people debating whether or not it's a good idea.

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2011, 03:02:41 AM »
Would it be a bad idea to start a third story if I've already planned and conceptualized it in detail?
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Tengukami

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2011, 03:18:47 AM »
Would it be a bad idea to start a third story if I've already planned and conceptualized it in detail?

You mean a short story? I don't see why not. You could even schedule a rotation for them.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
On the topic of writing:

I probably missed it, but what do you write for your job? Are you a freelance article-fellow or...?

Also, how the criminy do you keep motivation when it comes to writing? I've read hundreds of websites and asked a few dozen people, but none of their advice stuck.

Edit: Also, what's a good image renaming program? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something simple to keep my crap organized and not a mess of numbers and letters.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:27:16 AM by Unusually Unzan »

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2011, 03:31:55 AM »
You mean a short story? I don't see why not. You could even schedule a rotation for them.

...for some reason, now that I see that answer, I feel like that might actually work. Thanks.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2011, 03:33:57 AM »
I have this odd fear that I will not be a good enough artist to earn a decent living.

How can I keep myself from tumbling short of my dreams and ambitions?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Tengukami

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2011, 03:38:21 AM »
I probably missed it, but what do you write for your job? Are you a freelance article-fellow or...?

I'm a part-time Icelandic/English translator and journalist. I work for just one magazine, though, I'm not organized enough to be freelance.

Also, how the criminy do you keep motivation when it comes to writing? I've read hundreds of websites and asked a few dozen people, but none of their advice stuck.

I guess you need to come up with your own motivation, but one thing that helps me is keeping in mind that writing is a process. I mean if you're taking notes, mumbling a plot idea to yourself in the shower, writing up an outline, whatever - that's all writing. And once you have a story idea plotted out, some writers work best giving themselves a set time wherein they just type away, regardless of whether or not they think it's any good, and then edited it up later on. Most professionals do this, but not all. A few can manage to bang stuff out only when they feel inspired to do so, and there's nothing wrong with that if you're not trying to get published right away or develop a body of work. But you should at least stay in the writing process to keep yourself sharp.

Edit: Also, what's a good image renaming program? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something simple to keep my crap organized and not a mess of numbers and letters.

I've never used an image renaming program, so I couldn't tell you.

I have this odd fear that I will not be a good enough artist to earn a decent living.

How can I keep myself from tumbling short of my dreams and ambitions?

You can't. Because you will fail, many, many times. I think it's more a matter of loving what you do, first and foremost, and wanting to improve your ability. In my experience if you put the passion first, the rest follows. It's a no-lose situation, because whether you make it or not, either way, you're doing what you love.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2011, 03:44:15 AM »
Where were you when the Berlin Wall fell?

Did you get me any candy?

How much rotten fish did you have to eat to get Icelander cred?

Tengukami

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2011, 03:51:45 AM »
Where were you when the Berlin Wall fell?

I was a senior in high school, and I watched it from the comfort of home, on CNN. It was pretty amazing to see, it being a 3D metaphor for the divide between The Commies and The Free World. Especially having this happen but a few months after the Tianemen Square Massacre in China. And then the rest of eastern Europe breaking away, the Soviet Union imploding - it was like waking up from a nightmare. We got cocky, though. People were calling it "the end of history"; that with one superpower in the world now, an age of Pax Americana would cover the globe.

Did you get me any candy?

After Eights!

How much rotten fish did you have to eat to get Icelander cred?

Not much. If you eat one morsel of rotten shark without retching, swallow the thing and shrug "Not bad", it's considered pretty impressive.

« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2011, 03:56:19 AM »
Donovan Bailey, Michael Johnson, or Usain Bolt: who is the better athlete, man, and role model?

Tengukami

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2011, 03:58:55 AM »
Donovan Bailey, Michael Johnson, or Usain Bolt: who is the better athlete, man, and role model?

I only recognized the last guy, and after Googling the other two and looking at their wiki pages, I think the three of them sound like fine individuals in their own right, none of them especially better or worse than the other. Usain has the best name, though.

EDIT: Goin' to bed, new bon mots in about 8 or 9 hours, if any new questions arise.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:09:10 AM by Dangerous Hip-Hop Crow »

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2011, 04:05:37 AM »
If you were ever given the option to make any person, place, or thing last forever in its current or a past state, what would it be?

Is it ever an option to take life from another living being?

In general, do you think life should be more spontaneous or more orderly?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:02 AM »
Does Iceland generally acknowledge it's being supported by an MMO?

Who could you beat in a knife fight at the old stone bridge?

What animal would you like to pet most, but cannot due to reasons of safety, geographical isolation, endangered species laws, and so on.

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2011, 04:22:56 AM »
You can't. Because you will fail, many, many times. I think it's more a matter of loving what you do, first and foremost, and wanting to improve your ability. In my experience if you put the passion first, the rest follows. It's a no-lose situation, because whether you make it or not, either way, you're doing what you love.

This man speaks the truth.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2011, 04:46:46 AM »
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if wood chuck could chuck wood?
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:36 AM »
Is patience a virtue worth cultivating?

How much pride is a bad thing?

Do you still plan to sing at my hypothetical future wedding?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2011, 05:38:34 AM »
If you ever get a sailship, would you let me borrow it
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2011, 05:42:02 AM »
What are your thoughts on hot wings? What is the highest heat you can stand?

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2011, 05:42:52 AM »

Wait, what?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2011, 05:53:16 AM »
EVE Online is based in Iceland.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2011, 05:59:38 AM »
Oh. Really?

I didn't know this. Interesting...

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2011, 06:06:46 AM »
If you were given the option to redo one moment in your life, would you choose to do so, and if so what would it be?

How are your current relationships with your old college/young adult friends? How important are/were the old friendships you made years, decades ago, to you personally and in determining the direction of your life? What's the best way to make new friends?

How do you punish your daughter when she does something bad?

How do you deal with cocky 20-year olds?

Has the world changed for the better in the past 40 years?

Why do you like Kaguya?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »
How do I make time for effective sleep when trying to balance it with leisure time and work time?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2011, 06:33:10 AM »
And a TV show
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .