Author Topic: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy  (Read 56134 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2011, 07:29:02 AM »
How do you deal with assorted 18-to-24 year-olds (or thereabouts) whose attitudes range from complete conceit to depressive self-devaluation?

No, seriously. :<

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »
Did you grow up with siblings? What was that (or lack thereof) like?

Ever get into a fight? What was the context?

If you could choose to own and be proficient in use of a medieval weapon, which would it be?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »
What was it like being around for the emergence of hip-hop? 
What was the biggest musical movement/revolution you've been around for?
What are some of your favorite albums from the 70s/80s/90s?
What music do you usually listen to?

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »
If you were ever given the option to make any person, place, or thing last forever in its current or a past state, what would it be?

I'd want to bring my mom back. She died way too young, and should've had the chance to live her life to its absolute potential. But I can't think of anything I would want frozen in time. I can't see any good coming of that.

Is it ever an option to take life from another living being?

Taking the life of another human being is most certainly an option, on many occasions. But I think it's only justified when defending your life or another.

In general, do you think life should be more spontaneous or more orderly?

In general, living should be more spontaneous, but life itself could stand to be more orderly.

Does Iceland generally acknowledge it's being supported by an MMO?

Trust me, anything Icelanders can take credit for, they will. Although we're being supported right now by the IMF; not Eve Online. Would that it were so.

Who could you beat in a knife fight at the old stone bridge?

I could beat Bobby Hitchens in a knife fight with no problem. I'd take that punk out before he even reached for his blade.

What animal would you like to pet most, but cannot due to reasons of safety, geographical isolation, endangered species laws, and so on.

A woolly mammoth. No question.

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if wood chuck could chuck wood?

Woodchucks, being small woodland rodents weighing very little, could probably not be able to lift very much wood on their own. This is before we even address the question of whether or not they're capable of throwing. Which they probably aren't. But if they could, as your question supposes, assuming a standard mammalian body weight to lifting strength ratio of 10 to 1, a woodchuck would probably only be able to throw something like less than a kilo in wood.

Is patience a virtue worth cultivating?

Yes, definitely. I've found that learning patience is definitely worth cultivating, as it teaches you the value of earning what you want, first and foremost. And learning patience is relatively easy. The difficult part is learning when it's worth it to be patient, and when you should try to push or move on. I can't say there's any formula for that; you just have to take it on a case by case basis.

How much pride is a bad thing?

I see nothing wrong with pride per se, but I think if your pride reaches levels where you're incapable of seeing the full value in other people, and your sense of gratitude diminishes, then your pride is becoming too great.

Do you still plan to sing at my hypothetical future wedding?

Of course I will.

If you ever get a sailship, would you let me borrow it

Borrow it? Hell, you can pilot it. I won't know how to sail the damn thing.

What are your thoughts on hot wings? What is the highest heat you can stand?

I love hot wings. The highest degree I can stand is where it reaches that point where there's more burn than taste. That's no fun.

If you were given the option to redo one moment in your life, would you choose to do so, and if so what would it be?

There are a lot of tempting scenarios that spring to mind, but for every one I can think of, I can think of something good that would not have happened had I not done this particular thing. The only exception to this is the time I punched my sister in the stomach when we were both little kids, and I mean single-digit little kids. That was a shitty thing to do and I still regret it to this day.

How are your current relationships with your old college/young adult friends? How important are/were the old friendships you made years, decades ago, to you personally and in determining the direction of your life? What's the best way to make new friends?

I'm not really in touch with those guys anymore. My family moved around so much that it was hard to form lasting friendships, which didn't really start happening until I left home. I was never the type to have a big circle of friends, but rather just a few close ones. Those I counted among my friends were very important - not just for being a support source and listening to me, but also for challenging me and making me think in new ways. As far as the best way to make friends goes, it's much like any other relationship - you approach someone at an appropriate opportunity and strike up a conversation. Get out to group events involving something you love doing, where you're likely to meet people you'd have stuff in common with. And then stay in touch, invite them places.

How do you punish your daughter when she does something bad?

If my daughter does something "bad", it's usually something like, ignoring me when I tell her to stop doing something potentially destructive or injurious. Rather than punish her, I just make myself more clear, until she gets it. Temper tantrums, like I said earlier, I handle by not providing reinforcement for the behavior. To be honest we haven't yet reached the point where punishment is even an effective response. She's not a malicious child, and most of what she does "wrong" is because she either doesn't know better or she's testing boundaries. So right now my approach is more about reinforcing good behavior and not responding to acting out. It's been working quite well.

Has the world changed for the better in the past 40 years?

It has, actually. Sure, the environment's gotten shittier, and there are newer, more exciting ways to die, but I also think our values, our definitions of right and wrong, are also evolving. 40 years ago in America homosexuality was regarded as a mental illness, women could not safely and legally terminate a pregnancy, and the very idea of a black man as president would provoke laughter. There are international agreements that are helping change the face of global morality. And I think democracy is winning over totalitarianism. Yes, things are most definitely getting better.

Why do you like Kaguya?

Me and Kaguya have a lot in common. We both left home more or less out of necessity, we've both lived like fugitives, she can also be kind of a snob and a bit lazy, but generally speaking, loves the company of others and telling them stories about her past. She counts on her friends to be there for her, perhaps to a self-absorbed degree, but she also never stands down against any aggression towards her or her friends. And she loves the creature comforts - food, tea, pleasant company, good conversation.

How do I make time for effective sleep when trying to balance it with leisure time and work time?

I guess the first thing would be to look at your work schedule, and when you have free time, and look for the window of time when sleep appears. If you work nights, sleep probably happens during the day, for example. Regardless of when it is, make it a point to get to bed at a specified time, letting yourself have at least 7 hours of sleep; not just 7 hours in bed - take into account the half hour to an hour it might take to fall asleep. If you have trouble falling asleep, I recommend staying up all night, going through the next day, and continuing to stay awake until you reach an appropriate time, like 10 in the evening. And then stick to that schedule. If it's waking up that's the problem, one thing that works for me is setting the alarm on my mobile phone, and then putting the phone down somewhere on the other side of your room. This will force you to get out of bed and walk a few paces just to hit the alarm. Once you're standing, you might as well start the day.

How do you deal with cocky 20-year olds?

How do you deal with assorted 18-to-24 year-olds (or thereabouts) whose attitudes range from complete conceit to depressive self-devaluation?

No, seriously. :<

The same way I deal with cocky and conceited 40-year-olds - I ignore them. To be honest I don't see much difference, personality-wise, between your average 20-something and your average 40-something. I think most people have fully-formed personalities from some time in their teens, and by that I mean, their personalities are unlikely to change much beyond that point. So I wouldn't treat one person differently from another just because of age alone, provided they're in their late teens.

Kids, on the other hand, are a different story. There's still potential for change in their personalities, so you have to gauge your response well, because how you respond to their behaviors can influence their personality development. I think most adults don't give kids enough credit for how much they're aware of themselves and the world around them. I've never seen reason or cause to talk down to a kid, whether it's a young teen or a grade schooler. But you still need to realize that your interactions with them can shape their development, and it's important to respect that.

Did you grow up with siblings? What was that (or lack thereof) like?

I have one sister, a few years younger than I am. We fought a lot as kids, but eventually reached a point where we became great friends.

Ever get into a fight? What was the context?

I have unfortunately been in many, many physical fights, and the context has always been stupid macho bullshit, on my part or on theirs. I like to think I'm passed that now.

If you could choose to own and be proficient in use of a medieval weapon, which would it be?

Ooh ... probably the crossbow. They're just so bad-ass.

What was it like being around for the emergence of hip-hop?

Fucking awesome is what it was. Everything on the radio in the early 80s was great, but there was scant little from black people apart for some weak-ass disco. Then all of the sudden kids in grade school are exchanging mix tapes of songs they taped off late-night radio shows and it was like ... yes. This is big. Whatever this is, it's going to change everything about music forever. It was pretty exciting to watch it happen before my eyes.

What was the biggest musical movement/revolution you've been around for?

Probably the emergence of hip-hop and American hardcore punk. Hip-hop, for the reasons listed above, but hardcore really spoke to me. Sexually frustrated, short-tempered, angsty kids banging on their instruments and railing against social and political apparatuses that they considered obsolete? Sign me up. Many of those bands became the inspirations behind some very popular acts today.

What are some of your favorite albums from the 70s/80s/90s?

In no particular order, and with titles undoubtedly not mentioned:
70s: Zeppelin's Houses Of The Holy, Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols, Traffic's Glad, Black Sabbath's Paranoia.
80s: Dead Kennedy's Plastic Surgery Disasters, Subhuman's The Day The Country Died, Bad Brain's Sailing On, Run DMC's King of Rock, Duran Duran's Rio.
90s: ... sort of drawing a blank here. Alice in Chains' Dirt, maybe? Was kind of a sucky decade for music.

What music do you usually listen to?

These days, a lot of prog trance and psy trance.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »
Was the internet ever seen as a bad thing?  Do you think it will be regarded as one of mankind's greatest or worst inventions?
How do you feel about the increasing interconnectedness of the world?
Do you feel that national identity is at stake due to an increasingly homogeneous world?

Tengukami

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
Was the internet ever seen as a bad thing?  Do you think it will be regarded as one of mankind's greatest or worst inventions?

I've been online since 1993, and to be honest the dangers of the interwebs didn't really get hyped up until about the last ten years or so. And yeah, I think it's already regarded as one of mankind's greatest inventions.

How do you feel about the increasing interconnectedness of the world?

I love it. Meeting people with similarly obscure interests who live nowhere near me but with whom I can still communicate has been a personal blessing for me, as well as being able to look things up without having to take a trip to the library and combing through microfiche. On a larger scale, it's made education easier for the world's poor, and has helped people network and organize major undertakings, from finding jobs in other countries to overthrowing governments. It's a great time to be alive.

Do you feel that national identity is at stake due to an increasingly homogeneous world?

I think there will always be definitive cultural aspects that will persevere regardless of the internet, so to that extent, no. People like hanging onto customs and traditions that define them as part of a group but also separate them from other groups. Nationality will probably always be a part of that. Even in Europe, where the EU is the closest thing we have right now to a "superstate", national identity is still strong. If there's going to be a large-scale conflict, it will be over religion, not nationality.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
I'm gonna keep feeding you hardball questions if that's OK.

With increasing globalization and America's current slipping in economic rankings, do you think there will ever be an officially recognized international language?  Unofficially, has English already taken that role?
When did Japan become a major player in the electronics department?  (When did you start noticing more Japanese electronic goods than American?)
How do you feel about the push in children today that they are all special and perfect in every way?  Is it healthy to instill that kind of self-worth in a child at such a young age or is that what parents are supposed to do?
When angry at someone else, do you think it's better to address them directly or to say nothing and quietly stew in anger continuously?
Do you think it's healthy to carry a grudge?  Is it better to resent forever those who have wronged you or to forget, if not forgive?
What's your favorite food and flavor of ice cream?

Tengukami

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
With increasing globalization and America's current slipping in economic rankings, do you think there will ever be an officially recognized international language?  Unofficially, has English already taken that role?

Yeah, I think English has already established itself as the international language. There are currently more non-native speakers of English than there are native speakers. No other language can attest this, although there will always be other lingua francae, like Spanish, French, and Arabic.

When did Japan become a major player in the electronics department?  (When did you start noticing more Japanese electronic goods than American?)

In the early 80s. I first became aware of this when car workers unions in America began lobbying Congress to raise taxes on cars imported from Japan. And while video games in the early days were made in America, Japan's comparatively flashier games, not to mention the hand-held games they pioneered, started taking over the arcades I went to and the shelves in stores. Name brands like "Panasonic" and "Texas Instruments" gave way to Sony. Japan's economy was booming, really, and we were taught in grade school that the country was a model for how capitalism "should be", but that Americans were likely too lazy or too individualistic to live the same way.

How do you feel about the push in children today that they are all special and perfect in every way?  Is it healthy to instill that kind of self-worth in a child at such a young age or is that what parents are supposed to do?

Mine was the first generation to be raised with this idea of "you are a special snowflake". I don't think it's good to instill in children the idea that they are _perfect_ in every way, but I do think it's a very good thing to make it a point to teach children to like themselves for who they are, to respect themselves and be happy with themselves as unique persons. Especially since kids face a lot of pressure to conform and be like everyone else. It's a mixed message in a way: "Be unique, but not so unique that you might upset the status quo". I think self-value is more important than basing your value on what the group thinks of you.

When angry at someone else, do you think it's better to address them directly or to say nothing and quietly stew in anger continuously?

It depends what I'm angry with them about. If it's a big enough problem, and something that can be solved somehow, then yeah, I think it's definitely good to confront that person. But minor things, or things that can't be changed, I'm not so sure. Those are more cases of confrontation just for venting aggression, which almost never leads to anything good.

Do you think it's healthy to carry a grudge?  Is it better to resent forever those who have wronged you or to forget, if not forgive?

Carrying a grudge is a weight on your soul. Whatever they did that has wronged you, your holding a grudge is them continuing to hurt you, by not letting go of the pain it caused you. It's letting them hurt you again and again. Forgiveness is ideal but not realistic in all cases, but at the very least, I think when someone's wronged you, if you can't resolve it with them personally, the best thing you can do is say, "Well, that happened. Moving on now" and just avoid them. The pain will eventually fall away from you. Making an effort to hang onto that pain just makes no sense to me.

What's your favorite food and flavor of ice cream?

Anything involving birds - especially duck - and fresh fruits. The best ice cream I ever had was in Italy. Pistachio. God, I can taste it now ...

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
I don't think I've ever had duck :<

Do you think China will usurp America as the #1 economic power in the next 10 years?  Will that victory lead to a strengthening of their Communist party or will it lead to further global calls for them to denounce Communism?
Do you think the African-American or the Native American has it worse off in America?  Do you think that stories on the plight of the Native American are pushed away in favor of stories about the plight of the African-American in the media?  (I know you don't live in America currently, but I'm looking more for a journalist's perspective)
Will man ever go to the moon again?  What about Mars?  Other planets?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
How about some lobs?

What kind of car do you currently drive?  If none, how do you get to work?
Favorite movie?
What's the best experience you've ever had in a movie theater?
Favorite quote?
What other countries have you been to?

Tengukami

« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Do you think China will usurp America as the #1 economic power in the next 10 years?  Will that victory lead to a strengthening of their Communist party or will it lead to further global calls for them to denounce Communism?

I think the EU has already surpassed the US in terms of economic strength, but in the nearer future, yes, China will start rising. The country is pretty much the world's factory, and the economy has been gradually capitalizing. However, totalitarian regimes generally do not economically flourish. If you're keeping your people down, part of that is economics - economic prosperity makes people anxious to have more freedoms. Plus China's government is woefully byzantine and corrupt. If China is to emerge as an economic superpower that surpasses the US, it will need to democratize. Totalitarian states simply cannot compete economically with democracies.

Do you think the African-American or the Native American has it worse off in America?  Do you think that stories on the plight of the Native American are pushed away in favor of stories about the plight of the African-American in the media?  (I know you don't live in America currently, but I'm looking more for a journalist's perspective)

Statistically, Native Americans face greater unemployment, childhood sexual abuse, substance and alcohol abuse, less income and higher suicide rates than African-Americans, but as African-Americans are the largest minority in the US, their issues naturally get more attention. I do think Native American issues deserve more attention in the US, although not necessarily at the expense of the issues other minorities face.

Will man ever go to the moon again?  What about Mars?  Other planets?

The moon, probably not. But we'll get to Mars and other planets. I think this will become more technologically feasible over time, especially if we accept the One-Way Ticket idea.

Do you currently own a car?  If so, what kind?  If not, how do you get to work?

Don't own a car. I walk everywhere in town, and take the bus out of town.

Favorite movie?

Man, that's tough ... can't say which is my favorite. But near the top there would be Funny Bones, Orlando, Whisper of the Heart, Rushmore ... I could go on. I honestly can't decide what the best one is.

What's the best experience you've ever had in a movie theater?

As much as I hate to admit this, it was seeing Die Harder with my best friend at the time. Of course, we were under the influence of a powerful hallucinogen at the time, which might've lent to the cinematic experience, but it was a very enjoyable film for the theatre.

Favorite quote?

"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty." - George Washington, in his farewell address, talking about political parties.

What other countries have you been to?

Canada, the UK, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and Bulgaria. Still have a lot more to see, on a list as long as my arm.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »
How does it feel to know that Nixon is now too liberal to become the nominee of either party in the US?

Tengukami

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
How does it feel to know that Nixon is now too liberal to become the nominee of either party in the US?

Just fine, as long as he stays dead. Zombie Nixon would be a formidable foe.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
I would probably vote for zombie Nixon.

What part of Touhou has kicked your ass the most?

Tengukami

« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
I would probably vote for zombie Nixon.

What part of Touhou has kicked your ass the most?

When I look at my deaths, most of the time it's from not reading the bullet movements correctly; zigging when I should zag. My reflexes are sharp and I have a good memory, but reading where bullets are headed, that's a tough one.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »
How do you feel about Pluto not being a 'real' planet anymore?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
Borrow it? Hell, you can pilot it. I won't know how to sail the damn thing.
It's easy, I can teach you.
Want me to teach you? :3
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »

Now scooby can take its place.
I really hate myself.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
I really hate myself.

Well you shouldn't, because that was some kind'a brilliance.

Tengukami

« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »

I'm OK with it. If it's not a planet, it's not a planet. What're ya gonna do? Besides I think we recently found another planet or planetoid revolving around our sun, didn't we? I don't remember. Either way, I was never too attached to Pluto to begin with, on account of never having the kind of nightmarishly vivid photographs of the surface that Mars provided.

It's easy, I can teach you.
Want me to teach you? :3

Sure! I'd love to learn.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
Whipped cream... or chocolate sauce?
 8)
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
I'm OK with it. If it's not a planet, it's not a planet. What're ya gonna do? Besides I think we recently found another planet or planetoid revolving around our sun, didn't we? I don't remember. Either way, I was never too attached to Pluto to begin with, on account of never having the kind of nightmarishly vivid photographs of the surface that Mars provided.

We found a new one? Well that's cool.

And I ask because one of my friends was genuinely irate about it. :/

Tengukami

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »
Whipped cream... or chocolate sauce?
 8)

... on what? The answer is probably whipped cream.

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
Dude why are you so quiet on Skype most of the time man you gotta talk

What happened to change your favorite Touhou character from Aya to Kaguya?
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
What was Iceland like during the recent financial meltdown?

Also, what's the culture of Iceland like?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
Horned helmets.

That's it.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
I've always seen it as being both.
Kaguya for the reasons he stated earlier, Aya for sharing an identity, both being journalists and stuff.
Also Aya is badass.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
I've always seen it as being both.
Kaguya for the reasons he stated earlier, Aya for sharing an identity, both being journalists and stuff.
Also Aya is badass.

Well, I know when I came here he had an Aya avatar and signature, and I never remember hearing mention of Kaguya during that time. But I could be wrong.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Tengukami

« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Dude why are you so quiet on Skype most of the time man you gotta talk

I know! I really should. It's just sometimes I'm doing other stuff or we're all typing in chat. But I'll talk more if I come on tonight.

Oh I still love Aya, as we share professions and all. And as a character I think she's the most fascinating. I just relate to Kaguya the most.

What was Iceland like during the recent financial meltdown?

Watching the currency devalue by more than half: not so much fun. Watching thousands of people march down to parliament, demand resignations, and see new elections held that gave the country its first leftist government in its history? Pretty effin' cool. Honestly the crisis has only hit me in food costs. I rent, I didn't have any major loans taken out, and I don't have a car. Other people weren't so lucky. I'm frankly amazed the new government has been able to improve the economic situation to the extent they have, and they seem to be doing a great job of making it better.

It's Scandinavian, largely influenced by Denmark, of which Iceland used to be a colony. However, it's also very Americanized, on account of the NATO base that was here from the 1940s until 2006. So it's a weird mix of modern Scandinavian starkness and American pop culture. If you mean traditional Icelandic culture, you should check this place out.