Author Topic: How did you discover Touhou Project?  (Read 56787 times)

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
Re: How did you discovere Touhou Project?
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »
Cirno pronouncement

Why am I still the only one who pronounces Cirno as the 'Cherno' in 'Chernobog' and 'Chernobyl'?

Drake

« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2010, 07:00:23 PM »
Walfas.
I liked the art style and characters and then I found out that the characters were from Touhou.
How the hell do you find anything KirbyM without knowing about Touhou.

Why am I still the only one who pronounces Cirno as the 'Cherno' in 'Chernobog' and 'Chernobyl'?
Probably because there isn't any E in her name.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »

Kimchii

• Perfect Freeze
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2010, 12:00:41 AM »
My brother showed me Pettan Pettan Tsurupettan and I was all like "OMG FLAT CHESTED LOLIS <3".

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2010, 12:03:17 AM »
Dunno. I just stumbled upon the site, went "omg they look so cute" and then I found out that they were characters from this game called Touhou. :V
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2010, 12:51:27 AM »
Durr, were you searching for Waffles but mistyped it?

Drake

« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2010, 12:53:29 AM »
Dunno. I just stumbled upon the site, went "omg they look so cute" and then I found out that they were characters from this game called Touhou. :V
you didn't answer my question

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2010, 12:56:03 AM »
you didn't answer my question
That's true but...
Durr, were you searching for Waffles but mistyped it?
...he did.

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2010, 12:59:43 AM »
That was a question too, maybe he was KirbyM's best friend IRL :V

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »
That was a question too, maybe he was KirbyM's best friend IRL :V
nope.avi
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2010, 04:42:54 AM »
My first exposure was the Bad Apple PV, and then that led to me wondering who the characters in it were, and then the rest is history.

Dory

• Oh look! An engineer!
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2010, 04:58:18 PM »
Well my friend showed me IN 4 years ago when he got into university under major "Eastern Studies". My first impression was like... "WTF is with all the bullets?!" and "I can't read Japanese" and "woohoo girls are fighting". But I only really got hooked when I was exploring Vocaloid and for some reason Neko Miko Reimu showed up in the related video list in Youtube. I was like "hmm I saw that girl before.."
Touhou wiki has moved: http://en.touhouwiki.net

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2010, 10:01:12 PM »
I don't remember. :V

Really, I don't remember. Probably I was introduced to it by pooshlmer, during one of my quests in search for cute anime girls pics. After that, I probably got attracted by the characters design and decided to find more info on touhou wikia, and youtube videos. The rest just came naturally.

The only thing I remember is that it makes a lot of time, probably happened in 2004.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Sigurd

• Frozen Reaper
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2010, 07:24:29 AM »
In all truth for me it was Crow's Claw, I started listening to their music one day, looked up Touhou on the internet one day afterwards (I already knew the basics but I at least wanted to know a bit more about what I was going into) and basically started playing the games soon afterwards.

We all wear mask, the hard part is figuring out which mask really isn't one.

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
  • I've got better things to do tonight than die.
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »
Embarrassingly, it was the IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing Flash that started it for me :x

Re: How did you discover Touhou Project?
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
Some people on another board I used to go to were talking about it for a bit and there were a load of screenshots and stuff, I thought it looked kinda interesting, but I didn;t really bother with it until I saw this and thought "I could do that..."
Spoiler:
Yeah, I can't do that.
and actually decided to try out the games.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:37:16 AM by Kyoukaishi »

Smok, destroyer of thoughts

• The dangers of combing Ran and Mokou fanboyism
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
On an image board about cute anime I noticed a lot of special threads with so awesome and cute characters I didn't know, I decided to about them. And every reply about each one of the threads pointed me to touhou.
The thread that "did it" was a Momiji thread. After that I decided to get a better look at those games and I started with the first one, Highly Responsive to prayers. It was so addictive, I played all night straight and finished. Then I went for the shooter games. And I suck at those. I do manage to be good enough on the fighting games and... Here I am.

Mokou Fan

Cirnos Slave

• Until 11/13
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2010, 12:27:46 AM »
Idolfagging. A lot of idolfags seem to also be Touhoufags, hence the birth of /jp/ that has been going on since it's inception.
I really like Ai Kago, Yoshizawa Hitomi, Yaguchi Mari, and Momoko Tsugunaga. And now I also really like Cirno, Rumia, Chen, and Suika.

And of course I love video games. Pretty colors!

HitmanReisen

• Probated until 12/17
  • I like bumping year old threads!
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
I just don't remember. it was very long time ago. I think it was in 2006(?). Like i said, I just don't remember

NotAnOwl

• What is communication?
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2010, 01:35:42 AM »

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2010, 03:18:57 AM »
I stumbled upon McRoll, then went to listen to U.N. Owen was her? Stop for a year,  stumbled upon Plain Asia piano arranged. I should die since I saw McRoll first shouldn't I?

CrimsonDX

• Hourai Doll
  • キモちのいいけーね~~
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »
I basically kept finding pictures of them on Danbooru and such. Was curious to who they where do I looked them up. It wasn't till many MANY years later that I finally tried the games.

Guitar

• Fun in the sun!
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »
I've seen some Touhou culture on the internet without knowing it every once in a while, such as random pretty girls wearing elegant clothes on people's signatures on some forums. I also saw the awesome Mcroll. But oddly enough it was the games that really made me aware of Touhou's existence. Some people at my college were trying out MoF on the college shared computers and I tried it out. I eventually found out that it was part of a series called Touhou. I looked up the main characters Reimu and Marisa on the internet and got into the fandom from there while playing the games as well.

Overall, I'm very happy I found Touhou. It has vague characterization and absurdly simple plots, but the nutty gameplay, vast array of attractive characters, inspiring world of Gensokyo, and incredibly exciting fandom give a lot of entertainment.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »
I guess I first stumbled upon Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (in another video, not the actual flash) and McRoll (ugh it needs to die) a few years back, but it didn't really catch my interest. Some time later, I was looking up Ragnarok vids and I saw a sprite edit dance gimmick and I realized, "Hey, it's that song!", so I looked up the real flash for MSTPT. I got hooked.

Then just this summer (Eastern summer, not Western summer), on a whim, I decided to look up Touhou. I found it on Wikipedia, YT and Touhou Wiki. Since the latest entry then was UFO, I downloaded that and... my head asplode.

Since UFO at the time was too hard for me, I got SWR (not knowing UNL was already released). It was nice, but got boring after a while, so I looked again for more of the shmups and apparently, UFO was "the hardest" in the opinion of many (well, SA is harder IMO, but whatever), and IN was the easiest, so I got that aaaaand yeah now I have every game except for StB.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2010, 01:19:19 AM »
Some chick was playing touhou IN. I looked it up and it seemed like fun. Then I got hooked.

I also blame /jp/.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2010, 01:42:39 AM »
Its only been a bit longer than a year, but I don't remember the exact cause for me getting into Touhou.  I think it was some combination of the Wikipedia article followed by a massive read-through of the character profiles on the Touhou Wiki and some of the IOSYS videos.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Kaisou

• RuhBAYOMbee
  • YEET!!!! *throws pollen puff*
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2010, 02:07:19 AM »
I found out about Touhou either from that Kumikyoku mix on Nico Nico Douga, or a Lucky Star mix of Night of Knights.
I stumbled upon McRoll, then went to listen to U.N. Owen was her? Stop for a year,  stumbled upon Plain Asia piano arranged. I should die since I saw McRoll first shouldn't I?
As long as you know that U.N. Owen was first, you're OK.
Hi. Might put something new here but idk.

Matsuri

« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »
Then just this summer (Eastern summer, not Western summer), on a whim, I decided to look up Touhou. I found it on Wikipedia, YT and Touhou Wiki. Since the latest entry then was UFO, I downloaded that and... my head asplode.

You're new here, so I'll let you off with a warning: we do not approve of any talk of piracy. At all. We don't condone it, and never will. Please do not talk about things you have illegally downloaded here.

Dorian Loup

• Lurker
  • I'm a member now o/
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »
Two years ago, it was my now ex-boyfriend that discover Touhou. Mainly through Marisa stole the precious thing on YouTube. He then became addict to Touhou music.

Having the whole day Touhou musics in background, I searched a bit and decide to test the trial version of the games. It was fun and all, but that was not at that time that I became a Touhou fan.

It was just few months ago. I was bored by all the XBox 360 games. All of them are too easy, without a pixel-accurate gameplay, and I became quite nostalgic about the 2D era, where games were really hard. And so I remembered Touhou, and decide to give them once more a try.

And here I am now =^_^=
French noob!

« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »
Er... uh... I discovered Touhou though... erm... Fakku.

...  :blush:

Anyways, but then I read a doujin dealing with Suwako and Kanako (I don't exactly recall what happened, but Suwako ended up dueling Kanako, and then at the end, Kanako flew into the sky with Suwako standing on her feet. It was heartwarming), and it piqued my interest in the series enough to track down more doujin.

However, the doujin that sealed my interest was "Though the Wind Cries". After that, I started reading the fanfiction (my first one being UsuallyDead's Sanae story, since I was specifically looking for Moriya shrine fics), and then the music, and then the webcomics, and finally I picked up a copy of IN.

Incidentally, Suwako, the character that really got me into Touhou, isn't even in my Top 3 favorite characters (Top 5, maybe): mine are Mokou, Cirno, and Komachi.