Author Topic: ITT Musical instruments we play  (Read 33392 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: ITT Musical instruments we play
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »
*FISTBUMP* And wow, talk about a lot of instruments. *_* I wanted to try tuba and baritone (along with any other instrument that had a trumpet-like mouthpiece), but I was dividing my time between colorguard, running the theatre sound board, and my primaries

I wasn't allowed to do crew in musical, I HAD to play horn :(  But I got to do sound work for the school TV studio \o/

I only took three band courses my senior year, but I was splitting my time between band and theatre. :< And yeah, same story once I got to college.

I never had enough time to do theater (and I was too chicken to try out) and when musical rolled around I was basically forced to play the horn parts.

We really should start an MotK band or two, seriously \o/ And it looks like we have a fair number of people who used to play instruments and are itching to start up again, so maybe we could even hold some kind of events or a thread so people can encourage each other to practice and share their progress.

I guess I could do postprocessing/mastering work.  But I don't really play alone well, I play a lot better in unison with other people so I can adjust my tone/tuning and volume as necessary.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:56:10 PM by Th(ry »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
Even if it didn't turn out perfect, it'd be fun to try. I'll have to look into seeing how those Youtube bands do it.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
I'm going to try mixing with myself this weekend.  If that's successful I'd be willing to offer myself to the MotK band associate overlords, but if that fails then oh dear  :ohdear:

This reminds me to order a new mic - I lost a bid on eBay for one and never bothered to bid on another so mine is literally held together by duct tape and it's starting to be staticy up the wazoo, and static remove does lousy things to the sound quality as I learned with my latest set of recordings :(

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2010, 06:59:10 PM »
I'm going to try mixing with myself this weekend.  If that's successful I'd be willing to offer myself to the MotK band associate overlords, but if that fails then oh dear  :ohdear:

This reminds me to order a new mic - I lost a bid on eBay for one and never bothered to bid on another so mine is literally held together by duct tape and it's starting to be staticy up the wazoo, and static remove does lousy things to the sound quality as I learned with my latest set of recordings :(

I... have a Rock Band mic \o/

I sold all of my soundboard stuff years ago when I figured I could just go all software if I ever got back into it.  I might look into a professional sound card and stuff for my PC though.  I love messing with audio gear :D

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2010, 07:24:56 PM »
And you speak of money but aside from large instruments, I don't see much money going into them. Example, I got my first guitar (2nd hand) for 30 euros (later on sold for 50 :V)
An alto sax isn't big, but my first one was somewhere around $800 USD.  Thankfully we could make payments on it.

And then there was the mouthpiece I replaced the stock one with.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2010, 07:55:20 PM »
I have a trombone in the closet that I haven't played since middle school. I would have gone into band in high school, but when I learned that it was going to take up a class slot, I opted out for something I figured I could use.

Last year (college freshman year), I picked up an $80 acoustic guitar set for a blues guitar class I took because it was interesting and to get that fine arts credit out of the way goddamn. All I really know now are blues chords, despite my old Yuuka avatar and Ijiyatsu persona. I do want to actually learn it more, but that's one of the many things I've had to leave on the back burner.

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »
Ijiyatsu band :]

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2010, 12:17:12 AM »
I play the B flat clarinet, piano, and tenor saxophone.

Unfortunately, I don't own any of them, thus I can only play at school...

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2010, 12:51:12 AM »
Okay this is it, next thing I'm buying is a new violin.
I wanna play it again :(
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
I have a trombone
Bros.

Been playing for about 2 1/2 years now.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2010, 05:33:22 AM »
In order of descending skill level:

I mainly play percussion instruments. Battery, percussion "toys", SFX, mallets, miscellaneous membranophones, you name it.  I first started with the piano, but it was too hard to teach it to myself, so went to something simpler: battery percussion and toys/SFX. After I mastered all 40 rudiments, I started to lean towards mallet percussion. Now, I almost always play either marimba, vibraphone, timpani, or toys/SFX.

I also play the bassoon. This instrument was the hardest instrument I've tried to play. It took me a looooong time before I got comfortable with it. I almost gave up on it, but its sound was too beautiful to give up. I don't have my own bassoon though, because each one costs way too much.

Then there's the bass guitar. I just love bass instruments. I played a regular guitar at first, but I just didn't like it that much. So, I switched to bass guitar.

I've played alto, tenor, and bari sax at a decent level. I eventually stuck with alto sax because my older brother plays tenor and my younger brother plays bari.

I started flute for a few months, but my younger brother soared way past my level so I got discouraged. I also play trumpet and trombone (mostly trombone) when I have to fill in for someone who's absent, usually second chair. And of all the wind instruments in a concert band, I've never tried clarinet. I've always wanted to take cello, but never really got around to it.

Everything listed, with the exception of drum rudiments, was self-taught.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2010, 05:36:16 AM »
Ijiyatsu band :]

The Kaleidoscope Combatants. 

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2010, 06:41:14 PM »
Gensokyocalypse.
                                                                                   .

9/4

• Unbalanced meter
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »
Cello and piano
I  just started learning guitar and sheng. So I pretty much suck at those two. But not for long.
[y]Bowed string
[y]Keyboard
[y]Plucked string
[y]Wind with reed inside
[n]Brass
[n]Woodwind
Two left...
ha..ha..ha... Actually I'm want to be a composer in the future, so learning all types of instrument will help.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
I've played the violin in elementary school, and all the way through middle school. I was good, I guess.
But the high school I go to has a music class, but nothing for violin, so I stopped.

But what I really loved was the piano. I've learned the basics in elementary school, but I've seemed to forgot it.  :ohdear: Though, I would really like to learn again.
There's so many Touhou boss themes that I want to play.  :3
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:41:04 PM by Aoshi »
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
I'm seriously becoming depressed by the fact that I dropped violin and music in general for so long.
                                                                                   .

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2010, 11:39:19 PM »
guitar, alto sax, FamiTracker BV
Yay, trackers. :brofist:

Though I've pretty much exclusively used AdlibTrackerII and GoatTracker myself. There's nothing like the sound of a genuine SID6581 or OPL3 (though emulation for the latter has gotten to be *very* good as of late now that someone's decapped the chip and the sine lookup table (among other things) has been fully dumped).

Quote from: Azinth
Most glorious musical instrument ever created y/y
y.

Also the most difficult to synthesize properly without it sounding like ass, and near-impossible to synthesize realistically (I have heard someone pull it off. It was on the FS1R. Y'know, the thing that can somewhat decently synthesize human voice using formant sequences. (Also, note that that video doesn't even come close to demonstrating the full capabilities of the FS1R, it's actually kind of lame. But it's the only thing that youtube has up atm, and I don't have one of my own yet so...yeah.))

Anyway, piano here for...5 years now, and I'm now at a level wherein I can play without being immediately offensive to everyone's ears :P Played clarinet through high school but was never good or terribly into band, and in college I kind of haven't had much time for music, even though I've only become more and more interested in it. Sigh.

Also I've very recently (as of a couple months ago) started learning violin and holy shit is this thing fun to play with. Unfortunately I still suck and likely will for a long time, so yeah.

Quote from: triangles
Get a Shure SM57 or SM58. They still go for pretty cheap on ebay and their quality is somehow *still* unmatched despite them being based on a 45-year old design that really has not changed much since then (apart from the usual set of minor incremental improvements). The SM58 is really just an SM57 except without the windscreen, the windscreen is primarily of use if you're recording vocals or stuff that produces high sound pressure levels such as percussion (especially snare drums), both will work equally well for woodwinds/brass/bowed strings (though an electric violin is obviously ideal here)/mallet percussion/handbells/etc.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
I play piano. Still beginning, but I've already composed one song, and played a few Touhou songs... Albeit extremely simplified versions that barely use the left hand <_<; Though at least I seem to be pretty decent at simplifying them from the sheet music.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2010, 12:07:15 AM »
Get a Shure SM57 or SM58. They still go for pretty cheap on ebay and their quality is somehow *still* unmatched

Well here's the thing - I'm on a business model laptop with who knows how crappy a sound card.  I was using a $20 USB mic which was fine enough but maybe I can upgrade a bit and my computer won't make it moot?  I am bad at technology!

Also I came back this evening to a bunch of subscribers and my first comment on my Youtube channel thanks guys  :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2010, 12:10:11 AM »
One of them is mine and I shared your channel with the guys in iScribble :3

Because you play well.
                                                                                   .

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2010, 12:18:37 AM »

Barrakketh

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2010, 12:21:32 AM »
Well here's the thing - I'm on a business model laptop with who knows how crappy a sound card.  I was using a $20 USB mic which was fine enough but maybe I can upgrade a bit and my computer won't make it moot?  I am bad at technology!
Maybe you can find something less expensive.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »
I play keyboard mostly, but I'm quickly learning piano. I got an electrical piano 4 days ago =3

Barrakketh

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »
I play keyboard mostly, but I'm quickly learning piano. I got an electrical piano 4 days ago =3
Weighted keys?

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2010, 12:37:24 AM »
I played piano for god knows how long... though my skill is still really bad, I can play something well enough so that people don't leave the room immediately after I start.

..They leave after a minute ;-;

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2010, 02:35:44 AM »
Ok I decided to retake flute as a way of re-learning how to read music, since that's how I'd learned it in the first place.

It seems quite plausible so far, I've been reading and long-term memory is helping.
                                                                                   .

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
I used to practice violin, piano and guitar. Never was any good at it, though. Probably because I didn't have a good ear for tones. Also :effort:.
But I'm thinking on getting some classes from old music teacher again as soon as I have more free time. If only to remember some stuff.
This thread is really really making me want to get myself a new violin as soon as possible.
Remindingme of how I loved the thing.
This, basically. Except that I still have my violin, only need some new strings. :​P

With this, I never tried anything, so I don't really know if I have any kind of talent at all.
The hurdy-gurdy, go for it. I know the Hungarian in you wants it. :D

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2010, 10:27:13 PM »
The hurdy-gurdy, go for it. I know the Hungarian in you wants it. :D

The line just above that explains why I can't try it, even if I want to.