Author Topic: What were your best games from 2017?  (Read 3939 times)

What were your best games from 2017?
« on: January 15, 2018, 04:58:13 AM »
We don't have one of these traditional yearly threads, so let's make one!

What were your best games from 2017?

These can be "new to me" games that you played for the first time in 2017, or they can be games that actually came out in 2017.  Feel free to split it into two lists if you have plenty to go around!

Personally, for me it's all "new to me" old stuff:

Best to worst:
1. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Shadowgate (2014)
3. Mountain of Faith
4. La-Mulana
5. GG Aleste

I would add the Turok 1 remaster near the very top if I could, but I think my experience with the original disqualifies it.

-----

I played Skyward Sword very early in 2017, before BOTW was known to be coming (and no doubt I'll be years behind when I get around to BOTW...)  Regardless of how that might contextualize my opinions, I thought Skyward Sword was excellent.  While it really doesn't punch above all my other "5/5 favorite Zeldas", it did earn a nice bottom place within that tier.  The story and characters plus expanding the Zelda lore was very memorable, which is probably why I enjoyed the game the least in the middle, when that stuff was more in the background.  I also just have to give the game credit for having a lovely world that I wanted to spend time in and go on my Zelda-style adventures. 

If I was going offer commentary about it flaws then I could go into detail though with why I think the combat system is the weakest ever in the 3D series, but I'll keep it short for now I guess.  It's funny, because researching what people said about this game at the time one common opinion was that this was the pinnacle of Zelda combat, if note the future, of 3D Zelda combat.  To me it was clearly a less dynamic combat system and a step backwards in other ways.

Also: Fi is the best Zelda companion, fight me.

Mountain of Faith!  Excluding some prior experience with the demo, 2017 was my first experience with the full game.  I cleared normal 1cc as ReimuB (on my 2nd attempt) and started playing Hard and doing practice stages.  I am somewhat of a perfectionist who likes to master a Touhou game before moving on, and combined with juggling non-Touhou games I guess I'm always playing the entries in the series long after the game's activity has cooled down.  I haven't dedicated myself enough to it yet to pick a favorite stage or track but I really enjoy the game.  Without fail, returning back to Touhou will surprise me with how much I love playing it and make me wonder why I take so many breaks :P

For GG Aleste I wrote an old post that I won't try to summarize.

Shadowgate is just a really excellent point and click adventure game.  It's hard to really explain why I'm so fond of it, but the fantasy setting creates context and ambience for lots of very memorable rooms and puzzles.  I'm planning to post a LP for Shadowgate in fact if you want to watch me challenge the Master difficulty mode!

Playing La Mulana was motivated by having so much fun with Shadowgate, since it is very puzzle-like in a different way.  La Mulana is not an excellent game, but it is remarkable to me how a modern game decided to iterate upon what is usually seen as an outdated "NES design style" of using obscure clues and secrets to gate progression.  Despite La-Mulana not being a truly great game, I did get sucked into it and the incredibly engrossing puzzle/labyrinth thing it's got going on which is why I have to mention it here. 

The game is sort of like a huge metroidvania with an Spelunky-like protagonist, but in each zone you find a bazillion clues relating to secret doors, items and special actions you need to do in other parts of the game.  The hard part is that 1) you get so many clues, and 2) they are given you to long before you need them, and far away from their relevant locations.  I think it is the hardest game I've ever played that isn't directly testing the player's action ability.  You really have to be made of tough stuff to persevere and uncover that next progression gate.  Getting anywhere in La-Mulana, even if you eventually give up, is harder than completing most games.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:19:55 PM by dosboot »

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: What were your best games from 2017?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:34:36 AM »
Persona 5, Danganronpa V3, and Doki Doki Literature Club.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »
This was a year when I finally played Serious Sam 3 and Dark Souls. No regrets.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »
1. Crash Fever. I'm not usually a huge fan of mobile games, except as a way to pass the time while waiting for the bus, but this game has proven to be an exception. It's a highly addictive RPG/puzzle game that has made grinding fun. The community is also pretty decent, and online playing has a very limited template of phrases you can communicate to other players, so the shit-talking as at a bare minimum.

2. Nethack. The one and only. 2017 was the year I finally ascended (as a Valkyrie dwarf but still). I'm now rocking the Priestess class, which is enormous fun but very challenging (e.g. no edged weapons, no metal armor, spells limited to healing, divination and clerical). If I manage to ascend a Priestess, I'll probably try the Tourist class next.

3. Freedom Planet. My daughter loves watching gameplay videos on YouTube. One of the most interesting videos she found was all the boss battles in Freedom Planet, an old school-style platformer that is pure magic. It's cross platform, too, so it can be played on virtually any machine.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »
Top five:
-1: Persona 5
-2: Super Mario Odyssey
-3: Danganronpa V3
-4: Splatoon 2
-5: Zelda: Breath of the Wild

"Best segment in a game I otherwise hated" award:
-The Lucas segment in Resident Evil 7
-Runner up: Anything in Fire Emblem Echoes that wasn't actual gameplay

"I wish I had played this more but I kept getting distracted and in the end I barely touched it" award:
-Thumper
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 05:31:24 PM »
Tales of Berseria:  Beat out Persona 5 for my favorite JRPG, which is surprising since it had much better music and visual style, but the story and characters in Berseria were top notch not only for Tales itself but JRPGs as a whole.

Horizon: Zero Dawn:  Easily the best-looking game of this console generation with lovely music, a fantastic protagonist, and a truly enjoyable story.  That the gameplay was tight as hell didn't help.

Nier Automata: What can I say about this?  It's basically perfect.  I'm still haunted by the soundtrack.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »
This was a year when I finally played Serious Sam 3 and Dark Souls. No regrets.

Woha, you're gonna leave it at that?  With a game like Dark Souls I'm dying to hear what people think after their first playthroughs.  I seem to recall you didn't love the DLC sections, but what about the rest?  And just as random shot in the dark for interesting stories: was there any defining moment in the early part of the game that stuck with you?

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
I seem to recall you didn't love the DLC sections, but what about the rest?

It's awesome. Outside of Oolacile, no other place ever disappointed me. Yes, even Crystal Caves and Lost Izalith were pretty okay IMO.

And just as random shot in the dark for interesting stories: was there any defining moment in the early part of the game that stuck with you?

Discovering Ash Lake. Still get awed by the atmosphere.

I don't mind sharing my thoughts, but I'll just point you towards my Twitter where I chronicled my journey as I've been playing.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »
I played and enjoyed berseria too but vastly prefer trails of everything over it. Which has established itself as a series I look forward to as much as I used to with castlevania.

Also this past year ive had alot of fun with ys8 despite the hullabaloo with its goofy translation. I play ys for gameplay and music not story so it didnt ruin it for me.

I dont remember if it was under a year or over. Its been borderline about that time. But crosscode on steam is flippin dope. Serioisly, if you havent checked it out do so. Its like ys meets phantasy star or something. I wish it had more futuristic environments though and less typical fantasy ones. (Something I rarely want but I love phantasy star/xenosaga type future environments mote than ones thst are dark or gritty which most are it seems).

Texting on phone sucks. Thats enough =p

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 06:26:19 AM »
Does MMO count? Final Fantasy 14 HOLY SHlT this game has me more hooked than Kancolle minus the subscription fee and shit this game feels like a Final Fantasy.

Other than that um Atelier Sophie is addicting also making stuff and the characters!
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

AzyWng

• "I was a dumb American in a place where dumb Americans were less popular than the clap."
  • "So this was it. My easy retirement."
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »
If we're counting games that may not necessarily have been from 2017, and if we're excluding free games, I'd have to say that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Enter The Gungeon, and Heat Signature are all great ones I've played. Killing Floor 2 and Payday 2, both of which I got for free in giveaways, were as good as I hoped they would be (that is to say, very).

100% OJhas also proven pretty fun, though of course it's not for everyone.

I also very recently discovered a mod for X-COM: UFO Defense called "The X-Com Files", and so far it's been an interesting change in gameplay.