Author Topic: Short Touhou Survey  (Read 5744 times)

Short Touhou Survey
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:50:53 PM »
Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone would like to fill out a 10 question survey I created for an assignment for college.
This survey is totally anonymous and if you would like to hear about the data I collect, feel free to ask.

I'm new here on the forums, so if I did anything wrong or if you'd like to tell me about something I should know, please tell me.

Edit: The survey is now closed with 63 responses. Thank you so much for your support. I will post the data I have collected after I finish the paper, so possibly tomorrow or Thursday.

Edit 2: My apologies for not getting this done before now. I was swamped with work from other assignments. Web Design with a barely present teacher
My apologies again if this post is too long.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:
Cirno got exactly 9 votes. How perfect

Question 6:
Strangely enough, whether by coincidence or not, the four most popular characters, Marisa, Yukari, Alice and Mokou, appear in TH08 (most popular) and TH07 (2nd most popular, minus Mokou)

Question 7:
I though music from ZUN's Music Collection would be more popular than this.

Question 8:

Question 9:

Question 10 "Why is Touhou special to you?":
I loved the responses from this question because a lot of them are are amazing answers and allows me to see just why Touhou has so many fans.

I know I said this before, but thank you guys so much. My teachers/lecturers are actually looking forward to reading my assignment since I got so many responses.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:25:34 PM by akarin24 »

Re: Short Touhou Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:03:56 AM »
Ugh...

Dude, you killed me at "Who is your favorite character"?...

Only ONE? What? (That's insane).

The last question too, to a slightly lesser degree, is quite hard...

I tried my best answering everything though!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:07:11 AM by IlikeBulletZ »

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:12 AM »
There! That's one more set of answers for you! If you don't mind answering, what class is this assignment for?

Oh, and welcome to the community!

Yeah, same here.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:18:43 AM »
Same, and with a bunch of other questions, too.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:28:28 AM »
"Favorite kind of spin-off" seemed like the oddest question to me.

Also, I think jumping from "monthly" to "never" on how often you play the games is a bit odd. Personally, I play the games a lot when they're new, and then stop entirely until a new one comes out. Which is every half-year or so, I guess? On average. That seems like a normal way to play new games though.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:32:36 AM »
Any question that includes something like "What's your favourite whatever?" shatters me :U

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 03:33:16 AM »
Just finished filling it out. Last question wasn't as hard as I would've expected though - my answer kinda relates to a real-life mindset of mine.

I would also like to know more about what data you are collecting and how these particular questions would fit into a class assignment. Regardless, welcome to MotK.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:57:41 AM »
10. Why is Touhou special to you?
Oh boy, this better not have a character limit.

I'm kidding, of course, but this is quite the question to ask, I think.

Also, about the eighth question: Isn't Touhou already commercial? I mean, you have to buy the games.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 04:22:02 AM »
Well I answered most properly. I answered favorite character also...Sakuya Izayoi <3 <3 <3

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 05:19:10 AM »
I found all of the questions easy to answer.

Interested in seeing the results.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 08:44:44 AM »
My favorite character=*blank*
No offense but I don't have any favorite character, only least favorite character.

"Favorite kind of spin-off" seemed like the oddest question to me.
Its too bad there isn't favorite kind of fangames.

I would really like to see the result of this survey.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »
I figured I'd take a break from the TSSB controversy and give this a go. I humbly request that you do not use my survey results to clone me. =/

Will you be posting the survey results once this is done?

PurpleXCompleX

• Moon Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 01:09:31 PM »
Answered the survey too and to be honest, i'm someone who would prefer more "Who/What is your favorite something" questions but those 10 were pretty allright.
Good luck with your assignment i guess.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
And done. 10 questions seemed pretty short to me, which makes me also wonder:

If you don't mind answering, what class is this assignment for?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »
Thanks guys! I didn't expect this many responses in such a short period of time.

If you don't mind answering, what class is this assignment for?

This is for my Information Systems in Organisations class, which is more focused on analysing data rather than the questions themselves. Also, the reason as to why there are only 10 questions is that Survey Monkey, the site we used for my class, only allows you to make surveys up to 10 questions long (any more and you have to pay a subscription). The college I'm at (different from university) is a technical college in the UK and is kind of relaxed with this sort of stuff.

I'll post the data I gathered after I finish the paper, which should be in the next couple of days.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »
This is for my Information Systems in Organisations class, which is more focused on analysing data rather than the questions themselves.

Heh. Just like the first project I did for my engineering statistics class.

I'll post the data I gathered after I finish the paper, which should be in the next couple of days.

Oh, that would be wonderful! I bet a lot of us are curious about what the results are going to be like...

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »
The original post is now updated with the graphs and results from the survey. Sorry for not getting done sooner.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Hmm, I only count 58 responses for question number 6. If I may ask, how exactly were the responses for that one parsed? In particular, I remember having used eastern name ordering in my response, and I'm wondering if that might have caused a parse failure.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »
Hmm, I only count 58 responses for question number 6. If I may ask, how exactly were the responses for that one parsed? In particular, I remember having used eastern name ordering in my response, and I'm wondering if that might have caused a parse failure.

There were 58 for that one because some people either didn't mention a character or skipped the question. I tallied the responses for that one myself and made the graph in Excel, as I would have to pay a subscription to Survey Monkey to be able to get a graph from a textbox-based question.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »
Huh, interesting results on some questions, especially compared to the popularity polls. Glad to see IN is favoured. Also some unusual responses on the last question...
I can escape to an alternate reality
It ins't
It's childish DA ZE :U

pineyappled

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

???

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »
Interesting results. Thanks for hosting this survey.

Spoiler:
I was one of the guys who didn't have a favorite character lol
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
Also some unusual responses on the last question...
How about whoever wrote
high quality lolihentai
At least they're frank about it. Haha!

Also highfive to the other person who voted Patchouli as their fave.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »

???
This was my response. I play the games on Lunatic, and I like to think I'm pretty good at survival on that difficulty. However, getting as good as I am now required developing a much more constructive mindset than what I started out with (just ask Drake). For games as challenging as these, one has to recognize that it's pointless to blame anything outside of your control for any mistakes - the games are gonna do what they're gonna do. What really matters is what you choose to do about it: will you complain, or learn from it? This isn't limited to just Touhou of course, and certain real-life events ended up hammering that point home even more for me. But looking back and finding that a video game series could actually teach me the basics of a very useful life lesson (through both the games themselves and the people in this community), that's what I find special about it.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »
will you complain, or learn from it?
I complain about RNG then learn what I did wrong :V
I actually remember a physics lesson where we were doing questions from past paper and the teacher was going on about how we should make mistakes and learn from them.  All I could think was "Touhou already taught me that". There were some good responses on that last question but I'm super jealous of the guy who put "it gave me friends". Wish my friends played Touhou :<
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:13:35 PM by Mr Jovial »

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 05:17:54 PM »
This was my response. I play the games on Lunatic, and I like to think I'm pretty good at survival on that difficulty. However, getting as good as I am now required developing a much more constructive mindset than what I started out with (just ask Drake). For games as challenging as these, one has to recognize that it's pointless to blame anything outside of your control for any mistakes - the games are gonna do what they're gonna do. What really matters is what you choose to do about it: will you complain, or learn from it? This isn't limited to just Touhou of course, and certain real-life events ended up hammering that point home even more for me. But looking back and finding that a video game series could actually teach me the basics of a very useful life lesson (through both the games themselves and the people in this community), that's what I find special about it.

Of COURSE I will complain if something that is outside of my control that goes bad happens!

How can I "learn from it", when this "it", happened outside of my control?... If it TRULY was outside of my control, then I didn't do anything wrong, there is nothing to learn for me!...

Sure the game does not give a crap in the end. But why I shouldn't complain when something that IS unfair happens? at least you get to say something about it.

Sorry but I just don't follow ya I guess...but if that makes you stronger, then keep it.

OT Well these are some interesting results!

I knew IN was favoured in popularity but I didn't knew it would get 1st place!

At least PCB got 2nd place ^^
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:20:46 PM by IlikeBulletZ »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 06:26:18 PM »
Of COURSE I will complain if something that is outside of my control that goes bad happens!

How can I "learn from it", when this "it", happened outside of my control?... If it TRULY was outside of my control, then I didn't do anything wrong, there is nothing to learn for me!...

Sure the game does not give a crap in the end. But why I shouldn't complain when something that IS unfair happens? at least you get to say something about it.

Sorry but I just don't follow ya I guess...but if that makes you stronger, then keep it.
The games will do what they're gonna do, but that never means that there's nothing that you can't do in response. Even when the RNG doesn't work in your favor, you can still learn from what the game gives you. Figure out where the best place to look at the bullets is for that attack. Refine your ability to read the trajectories of bullets, and to do it quickly. Practice keeping your reflexes under control. I can keep going with these - be creative. If you really think there's nothing you can learn from something, then you're never going to improve.

I should get back on-topic too. Guess I'm not surprised that IN was voted most favorite. Seems to have the most "solid" gameplay of the original Windows trilogy, and being around for as long as it has, it's bound to stick with people. At least SA tied for third. :V I do like how much variety there was for favorite character. Shows the wide appeal of the cast as a whole.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 03:07:24 AM »

Trolling or not, this is the worst of the fandom.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 03:21:14 AM »

Trolling or not, this is the worst of the fandom.

Why?

I myself hate that kind of stuff...

But if whoever posted that likes Touhou because of that (And I doubt its ONLY because of that one reason alone)... well, more power to them!

Who knows, maybe that person joins for that reason, but ends up liking other stuff as well, such as other kinds of art, and even the games themselves.

I myself started to play Touhou merely because of its difficulty and maybe a bit of curiosity on what the hell was it. Everything else, particularly the Music, Bullet Patterns, and Characters came waay after! But if it wasn't for my initial desire to play for that one reason (Difficulty in my case), I wouldn't have never discovered Touhou?s other virtues...