Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~  (Read 121575 times)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: Etrian Odyssey (+Persona Q) Thread - New EO Games For Everyone!~
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
I doubt it. Either disable it's ability to use that with a status effect or Magic Bind, or... I heard there's another solution that doesn't work until later? I'm still on Stratum 2 myself. I can only do about a floor (or less) per play session, unlike EO where I could go for a whole stratum or so.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2014, 12:44:25 AM »
So I've been playing Millenium girl for a bit, on floor 4, and I must say that this is one of the best remakes of a game I've played. I mean the art upgrades are massive, even without the 3d, baddies are animated when they attack and die and stuff. Having the music reworked and allowing you to select new or FM synth classic is sweet, new classes are an addition I wasn't expecting (1 didn't have highlander or gunner before did it? I don't think any had highlander before, and I thought gunner was new in 2), to think that the generation gap between the two games is small is astounding. I mean I've seen game remakes going across MORE than one generation and they have less stuff.

However, I remember when the game was new, there was an EO thread on here before (not the one up now, I checked) talking about it at some point, and I could have SWORN people saying something about dlc within the first week or two of purchase, but when I google dlc for the game, it says there is none... Is my memory playing tricks? Was there a DLC? Does it say none cuz it just got added automatically with a patch I got when I bought it? I dunno.

edit: Oh yeah, and voice acting! Every line is fully voiced with "hurr", "durrr", "huh?", "ahhh", "hurrr" =P

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2014, 12:50:34 AM »
The DLC is for Untold 2, not the first Untold.

I assume you're playing Story Mode?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2014, 12:53:33 AM »
use panic on the FOEs

actually use panic or mahamaon or mamudoon on everything and you've won the game

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »
The DLC is for Untold 2, not the first Untold.

I assume you're playing Story Mode?

Yeah I know dlc has some but that wasn't even anounced back then soo.. meh.
As for story mode yeah, I chose classic first and the game was like "play story first or else features wont be unlocked"...

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2014, 03:22:18 AM »
Yeahhh the gunner/highlander and Gladsheim are story mode only. You unlock them for classic after beating it, but you technically can only reclass into them... you can't make an actual new Gunner/Highlander without resting the story mode characters down to lv1 and using them for the task.

In Untold 2, I've heard they didn't do anything like that, aka everything should be available in either mode without needing to be unlocked. Thank goodness. Grimoires sound less ugh in 2 as well, but I really don't know much about that- single skill per grimoire and you can supposedly level the skill up via fusion?
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2015, 05:28:00 AM »
Before you try to do the quest involving killing an FOE in the fourth dungeon read this to avoid unneeded pain:

Spoiler:
Elizabeth tells you that bringing a team of four male characters will help somehow, presumably by disabling the boss' healing spells. Apparently Zen doesn't count as a male character for some reason (my assumption about this below, with plot spoilers), so if you do bring him you get none of the benefits but all of the severely crippled team. Thanks game. I don't know if that will be explained away at some point or if it's just the game being an arbitrary dick, but it's good to keep in mind.

Spoiler:
Does Zen not count as a male character because the game classifies the Zen/Rei duo as both male and female even when Rei is gone? The only other place in the game I can remember where character gender matters is the matchmaking sequence, and I don't know if Zen and Rei can even participate in that, but if they can I assume they get broken up into component parts anyway.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
With regard to that,
Spoiler:
There's a couple characters who don't count.  Raisins is one.  It also doesn't count Koromaru or Ken.  Point is, if you got a successful team, you should see "[FOE Name] is fired up!" at the start of the fight or something like that, which you wouldn't see normally

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2015, 03:32:10 PM »
Oh weird. Okay, good to know. Poor Ken. Ha.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »
Amazon delivered eo4 recently (they said delivered by the 5th, lawl), and so i have been playing that after besting fenris in eo1u. So far im actually finding eo4 to be the most difficult despite everyone saying otherwise. Why? Welp, after the old cave, i enter the first real dungeon, and before long get into a figh with 3 tree rats... Despite recently spending all my gold to purchase armor for my front row, the tree rats proceeded to 1shot my dancer and DH using deadly incisor. I managed to run away and whatnot, passed that floor, etc. then i try some valley dungeon, again, oneshot by deathstalkers, then i goto floor 2, and dem cutter bears are harder to avoid than other foe patterns ive seen.

Some enemies are notably harder even if they dont 1shot too. Angry baboons for example are very worthy opponents for a forst floor firt dungeon thing. Not that im complaining, I do enjoy it.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »
Liz wants me to kill Festival Dudes. Liz is evil. >.>
Crazed Slash. Diarahan.
Panic doesn't stick even with Impure Reach. Poison... Same as Panic. Can somewhat reliably inflict Str-bind with Binding Hands, but that still leaves Diarahan spam. Halp?

Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »
Liz wants me to kill Festival Dudes. Liz is evil. >.>
Crazed Slash. Diarahan.
Panic doesn't stick even with Impure Reach. Poison... Same as Panic. Can somewhat reliably inflict Str-bind with Binding Hands, but that still leaves Diarahan spam. Halp?

Spoiler:
Use any four male characters, which does not include Zen, Ken, Koromaru, or Teddy, as your team. If you do they can't cast Diarahan and Crazed Slash seems to do either less damage or fewer hits. Elizabeth dropped a hint that you could do this to make it easier, but didn't mention that some male characters don't qualify...

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »
I'm like haflway done the snow land in EO4, and I'm still finding the game far more difficult than all 3 so far personally... Not that I'm complaining. I'm in my 30s now though, and plan to retire at 40 (1 more skillpoint isn't really a big deal, but +1 more allstats will hopefully mean SOMETHING.

My nightseeker is fun but I kinda wish the whole dual wield thing was actually useful for more than just gimping your defense and upping your regular attack. I mean it doesn't do squat for all your actual specials. Kinda thinking it's better to NOT use a 2nd weapon during boss fights because of that reason, and reinvest the points towards something that will actually let me apply status ailments more reliably (basically, even when I black mist every ailment I actually land, there are none at all about 3/4 of the time).

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2015, 03:28:57 AM »
You could retire, but personally I'd just suggest resting at 42 unless you plan to change classes around.  The stat bonus is minimal.  Meanwhile, resting at 42 will put you back at 40 with all your skill points freed up - which means full access to the skill trees as you reassign.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2015, 03:56:53 AM »
I know, but I like retiring once before level 99 in my eo playthrus, and 40 seems about as good a time as any. I'm not particularly fond of seemingly endless grinding or anything, but at the same time I *DO* enjoy replaying "old" content at level appropriate levels using new/improved whatever if the game provides such a system.

One thing though, IIRC the tutorial for that subclass scroll thing mentioned being able to equip a weapon seperately to use subclass skills that use such a weapon, but I do not see any extra slot for such a weapon.. how do I access this? Or did I just totally misunderstand? Assuming I didn't, does this extra slot also provide stats from enhancements or not? I mean, if I put forged hp enhancements to this subweapon, will my hp raise (or str, or whatever)? Or not because it is seperate from normal equipment? I assume status-aiment enhancements will not "stack" with my normal weapon regardless.

theshirn

« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2015, 05:41:44 AM »
You can equip a subweapon in the second slot, instead of a piece of armor.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »
You can equip a secondary weapon in any of the three available equipment slots, just like you would any other non-main-hand piece of gear.

What's important to note is that only direct attribute bonuses (eg +STR or +HP/TP) will apply from that weapon; things that increase the weapon's stats (+ATK, element damage, ailments, etc.) are mostly useless.  The exception is Nightseekers who have a skill that actually lets them make two strikes, and that secondary weapon post-40 also can be used to doublecast skills at random.

Most classes other than Nightseekers won't use a secondary weapon.  It can mean not having access to your subclass' active attack abilities, but generally speaking that's fine - the lowered investment cap can hurt a lot of active abilities by more than just a small margin.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »
I'm curious about
Spoiler:
Bushis (is this even a spoiler anymore)
in that regard. Are they supposed to be either Katana or Mace, or do they not lose much from having one less armor slot? Me's guessing at the latter, since they feel a bit glassy, but I've never used one so I wouldn't know.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »
I'm curious about
Spoiler:
Bushis (is this even a spoiler anymore)
in that regard. Are they supposed to be either Katana or Mace, or do they not lose much from having one less armor slot? Me's guessing at the latter, since they feel a bit glassy, but I've never used one so I wouldn't know.
That's up to you.  Bushi actually have a crapload of raw HP so they're not completely glass (minus the whole "I eat my own HP" thing but few people do more than level 1/2 blood surge because of the exponential cost growth vs small effectiveness growth) and they do well with three actual armor slots or two + an accessory.  The main thing is that until later you probably don't really skill points to develop both trees, so focusing on just one option does lock you out of some skills but also lets you fully invest in that easier.

Suffice to say though there's a reason that Bushi/Nightseeker is a common thing (aside from double Charged skill procs)

speaking of subclasses I dunno if I ever posted this into this thread but I put this together a while ago if you're feeling like "what should I do with my EO4 subclasses"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:32:00 PM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:15 PM »
You can equip a secondary weapon in any of the three available equipment slots, just like you would any other non-main-hand piece of gear.

What's important to note is that only direct attribute bonuses (eg +STR or +HP/TP) will apply from that weapon; things that increase the weapon's stats (+ATK, element damage, ailments, etc.) are mostly useless.  The exception is Nightseekers who have a skill that actually lets them make two strikes, and that secondary weapon post-40 also can be used to doublecast skills at random.

Most classes other than Nightseekers won't use a secondary weapon.  It can mean not having access to your subclass' active attack abilities, but generally speaking that's fine - the lowered investment cap can hurt a lot of active abilities by more than just a small margin.

Oh, yuck... Yeah I don't think I'll do that...Although it'd be funny if nightseekers can wear a THIRD weapon for their subclass since they can wear 2 already as a mainclass. Useful? no, but funny. I already had a hoot at wearing 2 weapons and a shield (some shields are accessable to all classes), THREE weapons and a shield would be even cooler! =P

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »
In EO4, anyone who deals damage is most likely best off subbing bushi and dual-wielding, unless you particularly need a bonus other than EVEN MORE DAMAGE for some reason. (Or are doing nightseeker proficiency shenanigans with non-NS attack skills; R/I and L/R are the only noteworthy exceptions and they're still IMO just inferior to bushi sub) Bushi provides the most extra damage by far and dual-wielding lets you get both Defiance, and double forge damage bonuses. I don't -think- defiance works for runemasters, though, although bushi is still their ideal sub unless you don't have anyone else to be your medic for some reason.

All forges will come into effect from both weapons regardless of what you're doing (not counting fire/volt/ice or status effect forges, that only affect your normal attacks), so getting HIT/ATK/ELM/whatever forges on your second weapon is beneficial whether you're using skills with it or not. (Just one HIT forge is nice to avoid random frustration misses, two if you use N's Swift Edge) This is another reason Bushi is the best offense subclass; dual wielding is already beneficial, defiance (and Endure omgggg) is just icing on the brutal facewipe cake. And you can Deep Breath your auto-surges for tp back in randoms. It's kind of disgusting how superior it is to any other sub on all damage classes- lv1 Blood Surge barely has a penalty for huge damage increase and then you get power boost/defiance/endure for way more.

Not saying you need to sub bushi though. You'll be totally fine without an IDEAL MAX EFFICIENCY PARTY and should just go with whatever party you think is cool c:

When I used a mainclass bushi (from the start, via NG+ on my second play) it was kinda weird to actually be thinking "uhhhhh what do I sub for more damage... uh..." since the rest of the time it's not even really a decision >.> (I went with L after deciding against Fire/Ice Slash/Strike build with R sub) Mainclass bushi is kinda interesting due to their awkward TP management with dreadfully low max and blood surge drain, but recovering it on normal attacks and max Deep Breath/Auto Surge to keep you going instead.

Also, from my experience with Charge+Follow Trace on my N/B in the first gameplay, charge doesn't affect the follow trace'd second cast as it only works on the first skill used. It's been a long time so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure the second attack did the same damage whether I had charged or not. So, there's not much point in going B/N unless you really want that second normal attack for hp/tp regen; follow trace is an okay damage boost when averaged out but you can get way better elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:49:03 PM by Selery »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »
Quick question... I noticed that a level 40+ nightseeker ability says it attacks 3-4 times or something (I forget the #, I think it said 3-4 or 2-4)...it doesn't actually use the 'attack' command that many times does it? So like, with blade flurry and 2 weapons, attack 8 times if it 'rolls' a 4? So far having a 2nd weapon and blade flurry has been completely useless for everything but the actual attack command, but since that one ability says attack specifically...I'm hoping against common sense.

As for that other ability that branches off blade flurry, one where skills may go twice if you have blade flurry...It doesn't actually mention needing a 2nd weapon to do so.. can that ability "proc" even if you have only 1 weapon on you?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
The level 40+ multi-strike is not basic attacks, it's a skill.  It's still really good, probably the strongest attack a Nightseeker can perform - but it is also one of the most expensive moves they have available.

Follow Trace does require a second weapon to be equipped, as it basically is like having your off-hand activate a skill.  Actually, to which end, Blade Flurry determines the strength of your off-hand attacks as a % of the strength it should be, and it also determines the % strength of the follow-up attack in Follow Trace.  It's a good chunk of skill points to purchase but it's also a crapload of free damage and second chances to activate ailments, so...

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
Yeah, Swift Edge (3~4 hit attack) is about as strong as Shadow Bite except you DON'T need an ailment for it to function, which makes it awesome. Now your nightseeker can do heavy damage even when an ailment isn't up. (It still gets the huge damage boost from Proficiency, of course, but the nightseeker's other strong attack is all or nothing.)

Blade Flurry is awesome for the first stratum or two (where it makes your Attack command about as good as everyone else's attack skills, and double ailment forge chance) and then later in the game you need to use it to enable Follow Trace (use a skill twice) which is free heaps of extra damage/ailments like Garlyle said.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2015, 04:37:30 AM »
Persona Q 100% clear, at least to my knowledge (well, excluding new game plus and the compendium, but who finishes the compendium?) on the P3 route. 70 hours and 17 minutes.

I loved this game. Like, a lot. Even most of the imbalances grew on me by the end. I really don't mind the light/dark power level thing once I realized how often I would've been interrupted during puzzles for lengthy fights without them. Given the nature of the dungeon crawl parts of the game as primarily puzzle-based with secondary RPG elements a "skip fight but still level up so you don't have to grind later" button was welcome for the benefit of the game's flow.

I didn't mess around with stat reverse items or persona fusion terribly heavily so I probably didn't even approach the levels of broken-ness I could have (I don't think I ever had a single persona with magic bind for the entire game), but the balance worked well for me the way it was. There were still enough relatively challenging fights that I didn't completely breeze through the game uncontested like in any other Persona game with skill cards, so I guess I could even say it's arguably more balanced than P3 Portable or P4 Golden.

And gameplay aside I loved the art style and the story came together far better even than I was expecting. Without spoiling anything I'll say that although it seems sparse for the first three quarters plus of the game for the last stretch it's as heavy and high-quality as you've come to expect from any other Persona game. There is story, and it's good. Everything is good. This game is good. It's a real Persona game, it is canon, and it possibly has some interesting implications for the Persona universe. Couldn't recommend more highly for Persona fans, if anyone has been putting off buying or playing it I recommend you stop doing that. 9.5/10, totally counts as a real Persona game, play it.

And now that I'm done with this I can either go back to Pokemon ORAS or finally open the copy of Shin Megani Tensei Strange Journey I bought months ago. Hmm...

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2015, 07:33:53 PM »
Grr, i just found out that conditional boss drops prevent regular drops in eo4, and that they are useless until endgame since you reauire other materials too. I mea. Normally you cannot AFFORD boss co ditional drop gear until super late anyway but still, grr! I bet the flame lisard's normal drop would have been useful, and i dont wanna kill him again right away since the fight is time consuming as fuu if you include the whole sweep around the room and clear scales process, plus i wont have samurai ninja cow with me.

Sorry for questions again but I have a super basic one ive meant to ask all along but always forgot. How the flying foo do i see buffs/debuffs on the enemies? Also, how do buffs work when hou apply a 4th. Does it replace the oldest buff? Or does it replace the one going to expire the most soon?

Also getting the hollow queen's conditional drop is bs. Max rank curse throw doesnt curse her like 5 times out of 6, and it doesnt even HIT her approximately as often... And if i bind her legs, she coincidentally casts that effing cleanse spell to cure her legs on the same turn curse actually effing lands! I took her from 40% to dead using nothing but curse throw 3 times then gave up. Unless there is a far more reliable way to curse i can get later she'll prob get formaldyhyde treatment later ==

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:10 PM »
Sorry for questions again but I have a super basic one ive meant to ask all along but always forgot. How the flying foo do i see buffs/debuffs on the enemies? Also, how do buffs work when hou apply a 4th. Does it replace the oldest buff? Or does it replace the one going to expire the most soon?
It replaces the oldest buff.

And unfortunately you can't check buffs/debuffs on enemies.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2015, 02:02:09 AM »
Actually getting the Hollow Queen to die from curse damage is frustrating in itself, so I'd definitely recommend just formaldehyding it if you can't even get Curse Throw to land in the first place.

theshirn

« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2015, 02:52:16 AM »
Just use Formaldehyde.  You can't make their stuff until the postgame anyway and at that point you can actually farm Formaldehydes.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2015, 06:17:16 AM »
Formaldehyde is the best RPG item invention ever...Unless another rpg did it first...Can't think of any that do though, and I've played quite a few. Also, I can see why bushi and nightseeker go well together, that said nightseeker/dancer at very high levels also looks like it might be interesting. Assuming sword dance can proc/stack with blade flurry, for the first time, I have a feeling it does.