Author Topic: ZUN at AWA - Spam Yo Pics (& Encounters) Yo! ~ Oh shit, found his favourite pose  (Read 53626 times)

Katierou

• Wolf It Down!
If my memory serves well, the question was, "Which is the only boss was Reimu afraid of, both before and after the battle?"

The answer was, "The Five Magic Stones."
Thanks! I'm guessing that's the one that stood out since it involved a ZUN ticket, hah. (The other two were "What three instruments were featured with characters in DDC?" with an answer of "Biwa, koto, and taiko drum" and "Who created Kokoro's masks?" with an answer of "Toyosatomimi no Miko" said way too fast due to nervousness, but the latter doesn't quite count since someone else said Shoutoku first and I guess they missed that and didn't hear?)

You're welcome~! :D
Hurgh, thanks to you too! That was certainly the best part of everything~ :D

I can't even take credit for the idea, but I can at least point you in the right direction. Maple candy is a bit of a delicacy in northern states and Canada, partially because the candy really is ALL maple sugar. It was intended to be something New England-esque to give to other people. It can be pricey, but buying it in bulk and making it last will help. Candy stores with a good bit of variety could have some, but can be found online if you look. They'll be a bit pricey just about everywhere, though. Or move to Vermont. Just don't provoke the cows or the entire state is DONE FOR. :V

Sky Bars are another bit of New England confectionary candy charm, too, but aren't lactose-intolerance friendly.
Many thanks! That is so super neat. I'll have to get myself to Vermont or something... and avoid cows, hahah.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
Thanks! I'm guessing that's the one that stood out since it involved a ZUN ticket, hah. (The other two were "What three instruments were featured with characters in DDC?" with an answer of "Biwa, koto, and taiko drum" and "Who created Kokoro's masks?" with an answer of "Toyosatomimi no Miko" said way too fast due to nervousness, but the latter doesn't quite count since someone else said Shoutoku first and I guess they missed that and didn't hear?)

I was peeved at the Shoutoku thing. They did hear it and said it wasn't the right answer, but Shoutoku and Miko are the same person!

Katierou

• Wolf It Down!
I was peeved at the Shoutoku thing. They did hear it and said it wasn't the right answer, but Shoutoku and Miko are the same person!
Aw man, really? That's too bad. What got me was the oni question. Yes, there are three (confirmed) oni... Suika, Yuugi, and... Suiki, the kishin that tries to kill Seiga. Seija's profile even specifically states amanojaku aren't oni, if I recall correctly... And then my friend got one of the CDs with ZUN's music on it without being official, but it was said to be incorrect. But ah well. Coming up with a lot of Touhou trivia must be hard, and they did really well otherwise~

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
Aw man, really? That's too bad. What got me was the oni question. Yes, there are three (confirmed) oni... Suika, Yuugi, and... Suiki, the kishin that tries to kill Seiga. Seija's profile even specifically states amanojaku aren't oni, if I recall correctly... And then my friend got one of the CDs with ZUN's music on it without being official, but it was said to be incorrect. But ah well. Coming up with a lot of Touhou trivia must be hard, and they did really well otherwise~
Huh, I've seen it referred to as an oni in Ayasaki Ghost Guild that does the opposite of what someone wants. Wonder what the distinction is.

Alcoraiden

"Amanojaku aren't oni, but just a particularly twisted type of youkai. "

So saith ZUN.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
Aw man, really? That's too bad. What got me was the oni question. Yes, there are three (confirmed) oni... Suika, Yuugi, and... Suiki, the kishin that tries to kill Seiga.
Just because a species name has the character for "oni" in it doesn't mean they're literally oni, any more than a Tasmanian devil is literally a devil. Vampires and snails also have it. Kishin are probably a type of oni, but ZUN hasn't confirmed it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:41:04 PM by Prime32 »

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Of course, when we say Oni (鬼) in Gensokyo, we specifically mean the Onis of "Four Heavenly Kings", which is Suika and Yuugi so far.  Kasen is 99% confirmed to be the third, we just need to hear it from her own mouth.  I was surprised at the question "there are two Onis in Gensokyo, now, the 3rd was just revealed" because I was reminded of Chapter 16 of Wild and Horned Hermit, where it is revealed that Kasen has an oni artifact, and Suika talks to herself that Kasen doesn't have to keep hiding, and I thought the staffs caught on to this and made a claim based on this chapter.  Well, the answer, so far as the staffs said it, was incorrect. *disappoint*

"Amanojaku aren't oni, but just a particularly twisted type of youkai. " As mentioned previously by Alcoraiden, ZUN only identifies "Oni" as a species with ridiculous amount of strength.  Amanojaku isn't "Oni" to ZUN because Kijin Seija, representing the Amanojaku race, are 'weak', something that is constantly a motif of the characters on DDC.  At least in ZUN's definition, and in Gensokyo's definition, and also what should be in our definition, Amanojaku should not be Oni in Gensokyo, because... well, let's just say when there is a species where "鬼" is pronounced "Jaku", same as the weakest class of Mobile Suits in GunXXm, you get what ZUN is trying to say.

If we follow the logic that Kijin Seija is an "oni" because she's amanozaku (天邪鬼) (third letter is of oni character), we can say that Reimila and Flandre is also an oni due to them being 吸血"鬼".  When Suika and Remilia met during IaMP, they quarreled over that "鬼" is the title for the strong. 

All in all, I would conclude that question is worthy of being asked, but the answer of Q&A panel didn't do enough justice in Touhou.

I also have something to say for the Shotoku as the answer, and the doujin album that ZUN contributed, but I'll let that pass.  Because all in all, it was a great panel nevertheless.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:22:33 PM by Sedrife »

Katierou

• Wolf It Down!
Just because a species name has the character for "oni" in it doesn't mean they're literally oni, any more than a Tasmanian devil is literally a devil. Vampires and snails also have it. Kishin are probably a type of oni, but ZUN hasn't confirmed it.
Ah, really? With their name and commanded oni, I think I assumed too soon! Darn, that would've been wrong then. Thanks for clearing that up, though~!
Either way, it was still a nice, fun panel. Plus, with a fair few bits of undefined (fantastic) canon, it'd be hard to get by without at least one mix-up!

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Yeah, something people should probably keep in mind is that a "Touhou trivia panel" is probably one of the hardest things you can run, because if you botch it the crowd will let you know immediately and you'll never hear the end of it. Only three screw-ups (one of which came on a super bonus question that they ended up fixing later anyway) is respectable.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Anyone know a link where I can find those Q&A panel that you were talking about just now?

- So what was the answer for the "Oni question" provided by the staff during the event???

Suika and Yuugi and...(Kasen and maybe Suiki) depending on whether the person who asked that question has specified what exactly they mean by "Oni"?

- One question through if by "Oni" they mean "Oni" as the 4 Oni devas, one could still argue that Kasen may just be an regular "Oni" as opposes to "specific one of the 4 Oni devas" (although it heavily implies to be one of the devas, it is not confirm as per say to be one of the 4 Oni devas.) I can be wrong here but I think still technically correct/safe to say at this pt that the answer is just "Suika and Yuugi". (Note: I don't have in my possession the 18th raw chapter of WoHH so in case it confirm whether Kasen is one of them (Oni devas) well... only time may tell.)

Now whether Zun has confirm or not that Suiki is some sort of Oni god (kishin) by his own term well...? 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:13:23 AM by Biakmon »

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
Yeah, something people should probably keep in mind is that a "Touhou trivia panel" is probably one of the hardest things you can run, because if you botch it the crowd will let you know immediately and you'll never hear the end of it. Only three screw-ups (one of which came on a super bonus question that they ended up fixing later anyway) is respectable.
Exactly my point.  I loved their event and their cosplays regardless :V

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
Well, regarding the oni issue I guess we'll know in due time since a new WaHH will come out this month.
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
By the way, I made a second compilation of AWA from images floating around the internet, this time, focusing on ZUN, the man himself!

Because frankly, for many people, AWA was all about meeting this legendary dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYsangWKD4w

(They should have really played Innocent Treasure when ZUN entered the stage, :V)

Video clips courtesy of IonicFox.  Go check out his channel for uploads on Touhou March, cosplay, and recording of Touhou Fan panel!

LOL, I love one of the comments: "That's not a thumbs up. His arm's just stuck in a permanent holding-a-beer position."  :o
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:52:36 PM by Sedrife »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
(They should have really played Innocent Treasure when ZUN entered the stage, :V)
You mean they DIDN'T?! What two-bit operation was this?

Oh hay. Mamizou cosplayer here. I'd been meaning to post this. ZUN asked US for a photograph. It was glorious. Yoshika (J-ko)  froze up upon seeing him -- you could say he experienced Rigid Paradise at that moment.

Also, Taoism Sentai Shenanigans.
http://imgur.com/a/plhON

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
Here's my  con report:
http://www.thenerdpocalypse.com/2013/10/convention-report-anime-weekend-atlanta-2013/

No photos really, but if you want my thoughts on the convention and on the Touhou events... there you go. I call 'em like I see 'em.

Alcoraiden

Wow, I had no idea the communication at AWA was so atrocious. I definitely agree that they should have done room clears, even though I got the privilege of being early in the Saturday line and thus got to stay in a nice place for the whole series of Touhou panels that day.

Jana

• mrgrgr
I call 'em like I see 'em.

Pretty good writeup. Something I keep seeing is people talking about "next year's AWA" but for me, it was just a chance to see ZUN. I spent way more time and money than I would have to just go to a convention. I think it was probably like that for a lot of people since the AWA staff was clearly unprepared to deal with the sudden influx.

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
Wow, I had no idea the communication at AWA was so atrocious. I definitely agree that they should have done room clears, even though I got the privilege of being early in the Saturday line and thus got to stay in a nice place for the whole series of Touhou panels that day.

They literally went through the line like five times before the Fan Panel and saying "HEY WE'RE DOING A ROOM CLEAR JUST SO YOU KNOW YOU'LL HAVE TO RE-LINE UP FOR THE LATER EVENTS" and then NOPE THEY DIDN'T ACTUALLY DO THAT. When I bailed on the fan panel there were probably 15-20 people waiting for prime seats for the trivia panel and they got absolutely shafted on that because staff changed their minds again. Bullshit.

Alcoraiden

Pretty good writeup. Something I keep seeing is people talking about "next year's AWA" but for me, it was just a chance to see ZUN. I spent way more time and money than I would have to just go to a convention. I think it was probably like that for a lot of people since the AWA staff was clearly unprepared to deal with the sudden influx.

Definitely the same for me. I am not flying all the way to Atlanta again for the hell of it, especially because the con isn't near anything else cool in Atlanta and I don't have a car.

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
Definitely the same for me. I am not flying all the way to Atlanta again for the hell of it, especially because the con isn't near anything else cool in Atlanta and I don't have a car.

Not to mention, AWA has a strict 50/50 rule in play with their Artists' Alley, and their Art Show doesn't permit fan art to be bid on for sale; so, I couldn't go there for work reasons. I'd ultimately have to pay completely out-of-pocket with no expected returns if I wanted to go again, and I can't afford that a second time in a row with it being so far away from me unless ZUN decided to come back or something. :wat:

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
And now this is how much the ZUN's Tenshi got sold on Japanese Yahoo auction:

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r106787669

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
Dayum, I got a 700$ T-shirt in my drawer.
I finally got ahead!

I would never be willing to sell it no matter how much it goes for.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
oh

uh

:stare:

And for more content:
Following the photoshoot was a ?Touhou Fan Panel,? which was apparently supposed to be about the fandom as a whole. It started off okay but quickly diverged into one huge circle-jerk with ?representatives? of the fandom from different regions of the country talking about the Touhou fandom in their area. Now, the way this should have been done is by getting in touch with the more well-known fandom leaders and having them submit a few photos or Powerpoint slides showing off their region?s fandom or whatever. But no, it was basically a circle-jerk around certain people for an hour instead. So I left.

I know everyone kind of latched on to AWA's shortcomings but this is a pretty big flub, too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:17:14 AM by N-Forza »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Wow. That's a 20-fold return. And I didn't even bother looking for one. Oh well.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Alcoraiden

Yeah, I admittedly didn't care that much. I think my picture with him is worth a lot on its own, just in sentimental value :)

AWA had a lot of flubs, but I think it's a statement about how awesome we thought the whole thing was, that we're willing to sit around and nitpick it to death. :)

And now this is how much the ZUN's Tenshi got sold on Japanese Yahoo auction:

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r106787669

I guess it makes sense though. It's not like it was very easy for a person who lives in Japan to travel all the way over to AWA and then claim one of the few limited edition shirts there.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Someone has uploaded a video of the Sayonara AWA panel. I've yet to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USaCATHHq6c
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter