Author Topic: Fez II Canceled  (Read 5539 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Fez II Canceled
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/27/fez-ii-cancelled

Phil Fish just had about enough of it in the world of modern day video gaming. Apparently he disliked the modern gaming community, stating it was full of negativity and criticism.
He finally quit when he had a dispute with a certain blogger.

If you don't know who Phil Fish is or what Fez is, search for it.

Anyways, the internet can a harsh and cruel place. Phil Fish is a victim of it's people.
I mean look at the comments...
http://polytroncorporation.com/fez-ii-cancelled

Of course sure he can be a bit prickly, and does have short temper and outbursts, but he is human. I remember reading an article earlier about him commenting "How Japanese Games sucks.".
Apparently a lot of gamers mistook it, and raged against him. I for one think he should have the right to say what he thinks, and how he says that "Microsoft is ripping off us.".

Then again, he is a tad bit childish, let other people get to him, especially over the internet and cancelled a great game.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:53:36 AM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Fez II Canceled
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
I don't know anything about this, but while I am generally sympathetic to game devs (and even fan translators and such) getting picked at by spoiled little shit gamers. If he did indeed decide to bash an entire genre/ethnicity of gaming like you claim, sounds like he's a hypocrite who should apologize.

But yeah, I really hate how entitled and over critical most "gamers" are towards games these days. I mean sure I have alot of criticism towards design choices and balancing too. But I NEVER EVER am the guy who is like "herp derp, these shitty bugs ruin the game, these guys aren't working hard enough, slackers don't know how to develop, blah blah". Those people should jump off a bridge, seriously.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
I don't know anything about this, but while I am generally sympathetic to game devs (and even fan translators and such) getting picked at by spoiled little shit gamers. If he did indeed decide to bash an entire genre/ethnicity of gaming like you claim, sounds like he's a hypocrite who should apologize.
He didn't actually bash them...
Phil Fish regards himself as an artist, and thinks video games like "art". He commented on a JP dev, that word was bought outside(which he didn't intend to).
He thinks that modern day Japanese games aren't as good as it was back then, but nevertheless he still likes a few games as of now.

There are a few articles that agree with this. Seeing that Western games are increasingly more popular than Japanese games these days. When back then, you'd know western games suck(mostly during NES days).
Here's  an article that can enlighten you.
http://kotaku.com/5891962/fez-creator-says-people-have-gotten-his-japanese-games-suck-comment-all-wrong
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:40:13 AM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
There's also the whole IGF thing which led to the "suck on my dick and choke on it" thing. Everyone is basically childish in this scenario, honestly.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:58:26 AM »
Oh I thought Fez was an interesting game, not innovative but hey it was fun for a while.

I guess everyone could have used more tact in their speech, blatantly saying something which can be easily interpreted offensively in public isn't going to do any favours. And neither is insulting someone over an opinion.
Wasn't the best course of action either.

Drake

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
Phil Fish has proved time and time again that he's a narcissistic ass with a massive persecution complex. He isn't worth defending on the merits of him "just getting angry and lashing out like any other person" or whatever, and he certainly isn't a "victim" just because he's disliked. That isn't what's happened in the past, and it isn't what's happening now. He's a straight-up douchebag who thinks he's a gift to anything he touches. Of course the gaming community is full of negativity and criticism, but for the most part, the community hates him because he actually has earned it by being just as much or more of the stereotype he claims to be persecuted by.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:31:56 AM »
None of those other articles really change my opinion which inalready admit is based on still-little information.

I think the guy has double standards for not being able to cope with criticism while dishing it out in such a way himself.
I dont even see an apology, instead he points fingers elsewhere.

Frankly i think the gaming industry is just way too large to make sweeping generalizations like that for. I mean the while indie/doujin scene is larger now than ever before, possibly even larger than the entire gaming industry last decade. And the commercial scene isnt getting any smaller either despite many people claiming how its dying.

I think people simply fail to realize that much of the modern gaming industry is targetting the much larger general audience now than the old "hardcore nerd" audience it did back in the days of yore. They compare modern games with completely different target audiences to older games with an audience more focused to themselves. Its almost like expecting eroge anime to be as "good" for your kids as kid-targeting cartoons.

Now he is t mentioning any specific games or genres, but the while japanese gaming industry. But thats just it, the entire industry has changed its audience. Final fantasy is now a super mainstream title you can expect to come as an effing launch title. But before, it was practically for dungeons and dragons playing larpers and neets. The solution? Recognize the overall shift and spend more time identifying which games are right for you, and see if THOSE games seem any worse off or better before making sweeping statements.

Should someone lose their passion for a slip of tongue? No, but ffs, i think its a lack of character to quit your career or whatever before even trying to apologize. Its a shame someone with the resources in the industry like him cant even recognize this either imo.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »
I didn't know there was even going to be a Fez II.  Nor do I particularly care. 

I admit a distaste for Fish, but more honestly it's more like I hate what he's representative of - the pretentious, 'above all you idiots' side of indie gaming.  Not that that's a core aspect of independantly developped games by any stretch of the imagination, no!  But there's that small subset that prides themselves on being a completely different entity from everything else but, in a quest to be 2 deep 4 u fucks it up and does stuff like Braid's true ending*.  It kind of happens in most forms of art though.

So meh.  No loss.  except for that soundtrack seriously Fez's soundtrack is amazing but that's not even anything Phil is responsible for hell if half of what I've heard about his communications with the soundtrack's designer is true they were not on very friendly terms by the time it was done

* Addendum: I do like Braid, but seriously, the true ending plot twist of
Spoiler:
the princess is a metaphor for nuclear arms research
is the dumbest fucking plot twist I have ever seen and blew an otherwise really interesting story and ending[/sup]

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
Thing is, gamers may be the worst kind of people, but if your stock response to criticism of your work is "suck my dick" and telling people to kill themselves, you don't get to say you're a victim of the mean meanies of the internet.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
My message to Fish: "Thanks for visiting the Internet, I hope you enjoyed your stay"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
The best part of this story is no one looks good in this.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/ixTDBZi.jpg

God damn. <_<  Way to screw up, Fish.

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »
So did he fail in following the internet rule "don't feed the trolls"? :o
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
Ahahaha oh man. I thought this guy was a prick when I watched The Indie Game Movie but this just confirms it.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Athrel

• v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
  • v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgUEtBnjzb4

After what he did to a fellow indie dev, face to face, in a room full of people, he's going to claim that hatemail (that's probably been vastly outweighed by the amount of praise he's gotten ever since Fez was released) is too much for him to handle. What an idiot.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 02:45:44 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/ixTDBZi.jpg

God damn. <_<  Way to screw up, Fish.
Oh
Oh my GOD

...Also that video of the interview was painful.  Fuck Fish and may he never return.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:52:46 AM by Garlyle »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 03:14:06 AM »
I agree with all of you that Fish is a jerk, and deserves a serious slap in the face...But I enjoyed Fez, it was a fun puzzle platformer. I would have liked to see what they did with the sequel, but I guess that's not gonna happen. =P I'm not gonna hate on Phil Fish, but I really hope he learns from this and doesn't repeat the same mistakes again.

Drake

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »
He decided to cancel the game entirely rather than steel himself, or better yet apologize for certain remarks or take any steps to change his attitude and behaviour at all. He isn't going to learn from this at all, because he hasn't learned yet, and he's stopped trying to.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sahgren

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 04:58:01 AM »
What I have to wonder is if he really thinks that leaving the game industry for something else will result in him getting less criticism. Regardless of where he goes, the internet is still going to provide negative reactions to his works. Especially now that he's possibly known as "The guy who ragequit the game industry 'cause of criticism".

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
Even before Fez 1 came out I had already had enough of Fish's attitude. Just the sheer amount of derision and condescension he had for the PC was enough to turn me away from anything he had to offer, plus his complaints about the XBLA patching process when he had to pay to publish a fix for things that were broken by the first patch. He comes off as a mediocre developer with an awful attitude to me, personally.