Author Topic: The Denpa Men: Essentially Pokemon/Pikmin + Dragon Quest  (Read 3401 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
The Denpa Men: Essentially Pokemon/Pikmin + Dragon Quest
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
So it's a game for the 3DS that you should all play.

(Take note that the Japanese trailer is much better.)

I'm sure I can't be the only one here who's played it?

You run around trying to catch radio-wave-people visible through only your Nintendo Dingus and try to dungeon-crawl through various randomly-generated floors beating up monsters because your girlfriend was taken by the Lord of Evil.

Yeah, the story's pretty flimsy, but at least it looks pretty fun, and it runs for at least 15 or 20 hours, I've heard. Not bad for 10 dollars.

These things can come with antennas that they use to cast magical spells.
(The ones that are antennaless do well enough as physical attackers and tanks, because their stats are several orders of magnitude above their peers.)

(To say nothing of the idea of parading around town trying to bag invisible people using a video game, and trying not to look creepy.)

Oh, but wouldn't you know that the game's actually fairly long and difficult, and features an inordinate amount of available combinations of these things for you to capture?
You should try it out, play the demo from the eShop.

My house's WiFi signal yielded nothing but physical fighters, plus ONE healer. His healing only affected one person, but he's my only one.
I went to the McDonalds and looked for Denpa Men there and found a stupid amount of spellcasters, each parading either high-yield single target Fire or Water spells, or the multi-target attacks.
(I've yet to find stat modders, and this distresses me.)

Here's the magic of it, though- it's not random. You can go to the same locations and expect to find the same party members and stuff. Which gives me an incentive to actually leave home once in a while. (I should have scanned for some at school. Damn.)

The music's pretty cool too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2I0Amo8_fk

Notes for those who play:

Try to get either a black, or white protagonist. The colored ones actually have weaknesses, and quite often you'll struggle to keep them alive through dungeons of their weakness. This is especially taxing because it's really hard to find Denpas with the Revive antenna. Mine is a Red one named Stuart- strong to fire, weak to water. The water dungeon gave me nightmares.
It's kind of hard to get used to the idea of having characters that can only use one skill, but you'll get over this, because all experience is shared among every Denpa, including the potential extra 150 you might keep in reserve.
STATS ARE DETERMINED BY SIZE. WHEN SELECTING ANTENNALESS MEMBERS, DO NOT SETTLE FOR SHORT DENPAS
If you find an attack debuffer, share it with us please. (Oh yeah. You can share Denpas using QR codes.)

Re: The Denpa Men: Essentially Pokemon/Pikmin + Dragon Quest
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »
I can't beat the
Spoiler:
True King :derp:

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
I haven't found any material on that, oddly. In fact, I can't find very much gameplay of it at all, aside from the first hour or so. Sigh...

That's the end, right? What level can I expect to be?

I'm still scouring the Tower of Evil. My party's largely Dark-protected as a consequence of me springing for Black and White Dots about two hours ago, so maybe that's what's making the place so easy.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »
The tower of evil
Spoiler:
isn't even close to the end

and yeah with dark resist it's pretty easy

also i think the sequel is already out in japan
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:03:22 PM by Suikama »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
The tower of evil
Spoiler:
isn't even close to the end

and yeah with dark resist it's pretty easy

also i think the sequel is already out in japan

Yeah, I checked out the wiki.
Spoiler:
> lol there are like eleven dungeons
I still wanna know what the endgame level would be, though. It severely irks me when a level cap is 99 but you finish at like 30.

The sequel came out a day before the American release, I find. I'm wondering how long it'll take for us to come up with videos for either one of them, seeing as I can't find anything at all from even the Japanese version on YouTube.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
My guys are all around 70 and I've cleared every dungeon. Just the secret boss left who is apparently lv 99 :derp:

bleh grinding. I tried using dark/fire def clothes but they didn't help against his stupid 300 dmg to everyone physical attack. Plus I can barely hurt him without a crit.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:25 AM »
> Scorch Volcano

I feel like this game really shouldn't have taken so long to ramp up in difficulty. I also feel as though it shouldn't have ramped up so high.

Hurrr my internet sucks it only produced a single-target healer and EVERYONE ELSE ARE TINY ANTENNALESS DENPAS