Author Topic: Touhou in the Family  (Read 23016 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Touhou in the Family
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:48:39 AM »
Relatives/friends that you have latched Touhou onto, unwittingly or not!

My sister is playing PCB as we speak. Being seven, she plays on Easy and openly voices her discontent regarding Alice :D
My other sister stares at the bullet patterns.
My dad has played. In short, it isn't his cup of tea.
My mother HAS NO TIME FOR YOUR JAPANESE GAME BULLSHIT CLEAN YOUR ROOM
And my girlfriend-
She says that she can get into the music ("It isn't bad!"), and the characters, but the gameplay itself gives her headaches :P

So, how about you?

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
Re: Touhou in the Family
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:50:45 AM »
I've shown my brother some Youtube videos that depict gameplay.

That's it, really. My brother doesn't play, and I can rarely ever play. My brother hardly cares about the characters, too.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:01:58 AM »
Brother's played a few times. Refuses to play on Easy because Overdrive. One friend's played more often, I've gotten him to play some other STG too. Other friends know what it is but probably haven't played, I'm just the crazy asian kid.
Mom gets dizzy watching but she's a wimp.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:06:47 AM »
Brother's played a few times. Refuses to play on Easy because Overdrive.

Glad I'm not alone.

Also, my not-quite-sis and not-quite-bro are both fans. My old man loves the music, but hasn't played (and probably never will). Mom has been intrigued the handful of times she's seen it.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:12:24 AM »
I think my dad can recognize Lovestruck Tomboy from all the time I had to restart extra in PoFV.  That's about it.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:16:59 AM »
Well, my parents don't actually like Touhou or stuff related to it, but my mom has once hummed part of Cirno's theme (today, even!).
My brother has been into Touhou since the days I spent watching replays of EoSD and PCB. Now he has TH10.5 and TH11. He does plan on getting himself TH06-TH08 and the TH12.x's. (EDIT: Just to note that he doesn't ever listen to the music. He says it's sorta distracting. I agree, actually. Many of my gameovers are due to me humming to the music :V)

Then there's me.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 05:18:48 AM »
Surprisingly, my mom loves it. She loves the music and the characters, and she thinks the spellcards are beautiful.

The rest of my family is pretty apathetic. I showed EoSD to my brother once, but he didn't really have much interest in it. He likes the arranges I've shown him, though.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 05:32:51 AM »
My parents have heard a few songs, though they didn't recognize it specifically as Touhou stuff. They thought it sounded good, though neither of them are really the types to give the series any more attention than they already do. And my brother has resisted all attempts at conversion so far.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 05:39:57 AM »
My lil bro played EoSD, he hates Rumia because he always game over at her midboss. Other times he listen (rarely) to Kaguya's theme arranges. My mom likes the music but hates Necrofantasia and etc. as it was "noise" to her. She isn't fond of trumpets anyways... Dad is meh about it. My friend got to play the fighting games (10.5) and 12.5. Anyone else "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU PLAYING THIS GAME?! ITS A BUNCH OF GIRLS!"

Drake

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 05:47:13 AM »
Brother's played a few times. Refuses to play on Easy because Overdrive.
Glad I'm not alone.
This isn't a good thing. I can rant for ages on why I hate that flash (hell, just the one clip) and what it's done to fan mentality.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 05:51:42 AM »
My nephew used to play IN together with me, but he only was interested in beating the Last Words. Further, nobody in my family is a gamer that enjoys shmups. But that is ok. I will be the lonely one :V

Dory

• Oh look! An engineer!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 05:54:51 AM »
My little sister is playing UFO and left Cirno Shimeji on for a day just to see how many clones she had.
My dad said "I used to play Space Invaders for 3 days straight when I was at your age. I'm tired of those stuffs".
My mom said the IOSYS songs are annoying.
My roommate plays SWR, mostly arcade mode, and we had several matches. He plays Sakuya, I play Remilia, I always win.
My aunt said that my eyes won't last long.
Touhou wiki has moved: http://en.touhouwiki.net

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 06:00:45 AM »
My brother, maybe 4 friends, and a few people online, but none of them are really obsessed like I am.

My parents are stickily out of the picture when it comes to touhou or anything Japanese.
They take every chance to bust my chops for liking politics, cartoons, anime, scifi, and video games.
Being into this all girl game would likely be having them confirming me for homosexual. Since they are always
asking me because I've never had a relationship and have a few gay friends.

Drake

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 06:05:35 AM »
Really? I would have never guessed. Wow.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 06:26:34 AM »
I sat my dad down to play it once. The only words I remember are...

"I don't wanna be fucking cute."

Other than that, I pretty much keep Touhou to myself.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
My dad said "I used to play Space Invaders for 3 days straight when I was at your age. I'm tired of those stuffs".
Oldschool dad I see.

WHAT ?! HOW dares she !

She is completely right.

My aunt said that my eyes won't last long.
Eat lots of carrots!

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:29 AM »
I've tried having friends play. Some come back after a round of easy mode and say that is a pretty entertaining game and others complain about the game being difficult even on Easy.

I've had my brother play and he have actually managed IN Normal and some of the other games on Easy + almost cleared IN Extra - made it to the Volcano.

Most people kinda gets discouraged from watching me play though. They think its 'cause i don't have a life that i'm so "freakishly good". No really, 30 minutes a day, some more when you feel like it, spread over 2 years will do that to you.

In general though, i find that most people in this country are quite hesitant to ever try something they don't know what is. Especially something that's not mainstream.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
im the only one who even knows about touhou in my family. i think.
when i visited my nephew i downloaded SA there and showed it to him, and the next time i see him he tells me about how awesome it was. but i think he forgot about it already

my parents only know touhou music. which i play for hours on my piano. daily. it's like getting brainwashed. only you dont notice it.
subliminal brainwashing...

[matsuri]Please keep in mind that any mentions of piracy are against the rules.[/matsuri]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:35:22 PM by Matsumire Kanzaki »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 10:50:55 AM »
Hi.

This is my couin-in-law, who is 10, playing her favorite Touhou game, Shoot the Bullet. Her second favorite is UFO.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
My older sister was listening to Tsurupettan once, but that was a long time ago.

My mom knows of it, but when I showed her some of the places that SA can be bought from, she said they were all shady.

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 04:05:02 PM »
I was once playing EoSD in lunatic, and my brother came and tried to win it. (of course, he lost in the first stage xD)
Then he saw me playing DS. He won a spellcard for me.
And he also tried to play GFW. Though, the gameplay ...>.<...

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
I think the furthest I've gotten to introducing my family is telling one of my sisters about the similarities between Sakuya and Dio Brando, and naming my brother's Pokemon HeartGold rival "Cirno" when he asked for a name. (I don't know why I picked Cirno either. :V )

Other than that, I keep it to myself. Mainly because of what my dad would say.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
My mother HAS NO TIME FOR YOUR JAPANESE GAME BULLSHIT CLEAN YOUR ROOM
Pretty much the same here.  She saw me playing PCB once and was like "WHY ARE YOU PLAYING THAT STUPID JAPANESE STUFF?!?!"

I won't even try introducing my dad.  He's video-game impaired. ::)

I showed my cousin Imperishable Night and he got through all six stages.....on Easy......with several continues.  I can tell he really liked the music (While fighting Eirin, he commented on the difficulty of the spell cards, stating that the "FRICKIN EPIC MUSIC doesn't help either" in dodging them :V), but now he refuses to play any Touhou game whatsoever every time I see him.  I think I scarred him...... :3

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »
I've tried to get a few of my siblings to play PoFV with me, but that didn't really work out. My brother hates anything that has anything to do with the Japanese, and the majority of my siblings groan whenever we plug in a Touhou music CD in car rides (the loudest groaners have since got an ipod and listen to hip-hop instead of complaining). My teenage sister loves the music, and my older sister (urm, younger than me) will handle the music but only for a certain stretch of time. My mother likes the music and her favorite songs are Bad Apple!! and Double Scarlet. I post remixes on Facebook almost every day, and she's usually the only one to comment on them.

Oh, and "baka baka" is a rather normal insult in my family. Half of them just say it because it sounds cool.

Bloom Nobly~

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
Only my Cousin plays Touhou, she's better than me, but has lesser stamina because she's kinda sickly and because she's Patchy, so she become tired after the 4th stage and she gets a lot worse, and with the fighting games, she murders me in the first matches but she becomes worse and worse as time passes. Also, she can't play Fairy Wars properly because her hands are too small to use 4 buttons. (And mainly because on the Hungarian keyboards, there's an extra button between shift and Y(Z); it's only easy for me because I have large hands).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:04:25 PM by Just Simply Solais »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »
I tried for a long while to get one of my sisters to play Touhou. Several problems quickly emerged.

One, she refused to play any character other than Sakuya, even when I told her that Sakuya was the hardest and most technical character in PCB.
Two, despite me telling her a bomb is better than a death, she never got the hang of panicbombing and died several times with 4 bombs in stock.
Three, and this is the really heartbreaking one - she could no-miss clear the first 3 stages, but Merlin absolutely demolished her every single time. Eventually she just got too annoyed with it and ragequit.

I have not tried with either of my other, less weeaboo sisters. :S

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
My sister watches me play and likes some characters. I've showed it to random family members, they usually go "hmm okay" or "that's pretty".
Got a friend in school playing for a short time, he wasn't very determined though and gave up after two days  :(
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »
My mom has heard me play but has never commented xD

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »
A friend of mine can't beat Aya in MOF- on Easy

He likes the music though

And to be fairly honest I'm surprised he managed that, considering most people think SA-Easy-St6 is the hardest furking thing ever

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
considering most people think SA-Easy-St6 is the hardest furking thing ever
:blush: *raises her hand*
Well, I'm not ashamed of it! I have won EoSD in lunatic and that's enough for me to be proud of myself !