~Beyond the Border~ > Akyu's Arcade
Pokemon Sword and Shield
<< < (8/10) > >>
commandercool:
Wait, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying Sword and Shield are a total hard reset and nothing can be transferred into them, or that Pokemon Home can't be used to do that? Is there another method that does work?
Fulisha of Light:

--- Quote from: commandercool on June 12, 2019, 01:09:41 AM ---Wait, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying Sword and Shield are a total hard reset and nothing can be transferred into them, or that Pokemon Home can't be used to do that? Is there another method that does work?

--- End quote ---

Let's say you have 2 Pokemon from your old games (for example, you got an Espurr and a Shinx in Home, which is the Bank equivalent for Switch) that you want to transfer to Sword/Shield.

Because Espurr is in the Galar Dex, it has data in the game, meaning you can transfer the one you have from Sun/Moon to Sword/Shield without issue.

But now you wanna transfer Shinx over to Sword/Shield. However it isn't in the Galar Dex. This means it's not programmed in and thus you can't transfer it to Sword/Shield at all because it doesn't exist in the game's data.

That's what the issue is and everyone is pretty pissed off about it right now.
commandercool:
That's annoying and bad but isn't ultimately a deal breaker I don't think. That seems like something that can be fixed later, either through a patch or, worst case scenario, a sequel game. Definitely not great, seems sloppy, but I was worried you were saying all transfs were cut off period and I guess I'm glad that's not the case.
Jq1790:
While I don't use transfers myself, I'm heavily considering holding off on buying one of them/asking for one now until if/when they fix this, as a statement for those who do.

People have been keeping their beloved Pokemon from as far back as gen 3 and suddenly now they're being told some/all of their faves won't be able to make the jump?  Yeah no that's pretty bad and they don't deserve money for that.  Spitting on longtime fans is a pretty low move and not one I can support even if it doesn't affect me directly.
Fulisha of Light:

--- Quote from: commandercool on June 12, 2019, 12:34:38 PM ---That's annoying and bad but isn't ultimately a deal breaker I don't think. That seems like something that can be fixed later, either through a patch or, worst case scenario, a sequel game. Definitely not great, seems sloppy, but I was worried you were saying all transfs were cut off period and I guess I'm glad that's not the case.

--- End quote ---
It's not going to be fixed later with a patch or anything, they're making this a new policy; they're not going to make games with every single Pokemon in it in the future because of time and balance issues that they never elaborate on and could probably be fixed with a delay or balance patching instead of just not programming a certain Pokemon outright. A Sword/Shield sequel isn't going to fix this either because it'll be following the new policy of only programming up to probably 450 Pokemon that fit the region aesthetic out of the current 800.

Another issue arises with the fact that once you transfer your mons up to Home, you can't transfer them back. So that Shinx in the example I mentioned before that can't go to Sword/Shield is gonna be stuck in Home for who knows how long until a game it is programmed in comes out for it to transfer to. All while you maintain the fee to keep it there.

For a series that focuses on catching them all and worked hard on features like Bank to allow you to transfer old mons up, this abrupt decision goes against the very fundamentals of the series itself.
This is different from the jump between gen 2 and 3; they had technical limitations at the time that didn't allow them to transfer data between each other, and that was eventually fixed for Bank and VC compatibility. Gen 3 also had all the mons in the data, some just weren't encounterable in the wild and needed to be caught and traded/transferred from another game that had them.
This is different from Sun/Moon having a specialized National Dex for Alola, because even though certain Pokemon aren't in the wild and have no dex entry ingame you could still transfer them over and use them because they had their battle data in it.
This is different from Let's Go, which is a Yellow remake (and has been called a side game in the beginning before changing to being called a mainline game.)

This is about a game not having a certain Pokemon existing in it at all because it was never bothered to be programmed in. *end rant*

It might not matter to some people who don't have or never transfer mons, but it matters to people like me who do that have played for a long time and like to take their ribbon mons/shinies/childhood mons with them to new gens. It's a slap in the face tbh  :(
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version