~Beyond the Border~ > Sara's Audio-Visual Import-Overflow Retail
The Detective Pikachu movie looks bonkers
<< < (4/5) > >>
Mеа:
Just went to see it. It might have been my inflated expectations from hearing a lot of people talk about it so fondly, I wasn't too impressed. It was ok.

My favorite moments in the film were those when nothing was really happening, but pokemon were shown just naturally interacting with the world. Which makes me think, yes, this universe can work. The pokemon look fantastic and their portrayal was on point.

My biggest complaint about it was that I feel like the story itself could have been about any monster-creatures in general, not just pokemon. I was hoping for a more low key story about a buddy bonding with his poke-buddy (which I suppose kind of happened) but didn't seem to make much use out of pokemon itself (which may be a plus? More portrayal of training/catching could potentially have been a bit disconnecting in live action). So basically the story didn't interest me much. And can we really even say that he was bonding with a pokemon? Also the thing with me two at the end confused me, why was the son necessary again?

tl;dr it was ok, 5 out of 9, true neutral.
BT:
Oh shoot there was a thread. Uhhhh I watched this on Saturday and I was grinning like an idiot the entire time.

Go with friends or family if you can, it's better if you can d'awww with someone else. If not you just look like a weirdo.
commandercool:

--- Quote from: Mеа on May 15, 2019, 03:28:45 AM ---My biggest complaint about it was that I feel like the story itself could have been about any monster-creatures in general, not just pokemon. I was hoping for a more low key story about a buddy bonding with his poke-buddy (which I suppose kind of happened) but didn't seem to make much use out of pokemon itself (which may be a plus? More portrayal of training/catching could potentially have been a bit disconnecting in live action). So basically the story didn't interest me much. And can we really even say that he was bonding with a pokemon?
--- End quote ---

That's a fair criticism that I can't really argue with, but I honestly found that angle, or rather lack of angle, kind of refreshing. That's what every story set in the Pokemon universe is about so I liked that it wasn't the main focus here. But you could definitely argue that it was a weird call to not really focus on a Pokemon-human relationship for the first movie in this series.

--- Quote from: Mеа on May 15, 2019, 03:28:45 AM ---Also the thing with me two at the end confused me, why was the son necessary again?

--- End quote ---

My vague impression is that Spoiler: Mewtwo needed to scan another source of Ryan Reynolds DNA to have the necessary information to build him a new, living body.

--- Quote from: BT on May 15, 2019, 06:23:43 PM ---Go with friends or family if you can, it's better if you can d'awww with someone else. If not you just look like a weirdo.

--- End quote ---

One of my buddies was audible crying during the Spoiler: introduction of the Bulbasaurs. :D
BT:

--- Quote from: Mеа on May 15, 2019, 03:28:45 AM ---My biggest complaint about it was that I feel like the story itself could have been about any monster-creatures in general, not just pokemon. I was hoping for a more low key story about a buddy bonding with his poke-buddy (which I suppose kind of happened) but didn't seem to make much use out of pokemon itself (which may be a plus? More portrayal of training/catching could potentially have been a bit disconnecting in live action). So basically the story didn't interest me much. And can we really even say that he was bonding with a pokemon? Also the thing with me two at the end confused me, why was the son necessary again?

--- End quote ---
I wish they did some other stuff with the franchise too, like more of a focus on battling and Pokemon moves, but I feel like it would've split the focus of the movie. I'm glad with what I got. Maybe a different Pokemon movie can take a different approach.
Mеа:

--- Quote from: BT on May 15, 2019, 07:27:13 PM ---I wish they did some other stuff with the franchise too, like more of a focus on battling and Pokemon moves, but I feel like it would've split the focus of the movie. I'm glad with what I got. Maybe a different Pokemon movie can take a different approach.

--- End quote ---
I feel like the battling/training aspect would feel so awkward with live action. For all pokemon likes to gush rhetoric about how pokemon and humans are equal partners, it's kinda sadly apparent that it isn't, and putting that up there on the big screen might feel weird enough for me to not be able to immerse myself in the movie. This movie struck a nice balance though, with having them seem like animals on one end (can't understand speech) and being intelligent, empathic creature/partners on the other (can understand emotions). That entire showing the city sequence at the beginning between the train station and police station was fantastic.

I'm remembering some more things about the movie, so I guess I'll rant a bit more. The one aspect of the plot that did seem to hint at making use of pokemon-specific material is that whole 'humans evolving into a better, stronger version of themselves' thread. I don't know that I would have liked it if they did end up fully exploring that (as I said earlier, I'm fine with a simple feel-good plot of buddies bonding together, in this case, while solving some minor mysteries), but they didn't really end up making use of that idea either. The villain (who didn't even create Mewtwo, Which makes sense now that I think about it, I guess this does technically take place in the pokemon world) just transferred his mind into Mewtwo to acquire a stronger body, which isn't quite in theme with how evolution for pokemon works. 'Humans evolving' was forgotten somewhere and the evil plan became 'merge humans and pokemon together' for some reason (the evil plan sounds great if you get to inhabit a Mewtwo, but would I want to be a Psyduck? no). It also made use of vague psychic powers that Mewtwo never had (I guess Manaphy sort of had soul transfer powers? Not that anyone cares about Manaphy). It takes me back to the whole 'this movie didn't need to use pokemon at all'.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version