Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou Status 3  (Read 8695 times)

Drake

ZUN and Touhou Status 3
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »
A thread for miscellaneous updates of ZUN's activity and Touhou as an entity.

Previous threads: [1] [2]

Names to know
* Name order is family name first, given name second. Unless noted, all names are pseudonyms. *

Hakurei Kannushi and family
ZUN: Sole member of Shanghai Alice Gengakudan (Shanghai Alice Fantasy Ensemble, English name: Team Shanghai Alice). Former employee at Taito. Making Touhou his career since 2007. Full-time dad of his son born in 2014 and his daughter born in 2016. @korindo

ki-san: ZUN's wife and former co-worker. Game programmer. Loves frogs. Also loves drinking.

Doujin game-making friends
Unabara Iruka: Leader and designer of the doujin game developer Twilight Frontier (Tasofro for short), developer of Touhou fighting games. The pseudonym means "Ocean Dolphin". @unabara

Akiyama Uni: a.k.a. U2, composer at Twilight Frontier. Wrote many beloved songs in the fighting games. @u2aki

D.N.A.: Real name: Ezaki Nozomu. Leader of the doujin game developer D.N.A. Softwares (Touhou Unreal Mahjong), he started the indie game event Digital Game Expo, and is now heading "Play,Doujin!", a program created to help doujin creators, many of them Touhou derivative creators, publish their content on mainstream platforms. @dnasoftwares

Ruw: Member of D.N.A. Softwares. Helps ZUN and Tasofro with business and legal matters. Can drink as much as ZUN. @Ruw

tbn: Member of the doujin game circle Daisessen, who often helps ZUN manage booths at conventions. @tbn_

Heppoko: One half of the doujin game circle Eikyuu Loop (TWilight refrAIN, TWilight INSanity) until 2013, he is making games entirely on his own now. Works in the game industry by day. @heppoko

Murasame Aeju: The OTHER famous one-man doujin game maker who does nearly everything by himself, under the name of Platine Dispositif. The titles currently localized into English (Gundemonium trilogy and Bunny Must Die) represent only a small part of his highly varied portfolio. @_murasame

Game industry friends
Tanzawa Yūichi (real name): ZUN's former co-worker, now a game designer at Square Enix. Main member of the PoriPori Club web broadcast. @TANTAN_U1

Kimura Yoshirō (real name): Legendary game designer known for creating cult classics such as Moon: Remix Adventure, Chulip, Rule of Rose, and Little King Story. Main member of PoriPori Club. @yoshiro_kimura

Print work-related
Okonogi Tetsurō (real name): Editor of several Touhou print works at the publisher Ichijinsha until his resignation in July 2014. Hosts ZUN's monthly web broadcast "Radio Begins from the Second Pub" (Nikenme Radio). Has cameo appearances in the When They Cry franchise. @_nyogi

Azuma Aya: Touhou fan artist, also artist of Touhou Ibarakasen ~ Wild and Horned Hermit (published by Ichijinsha). Graduated from college in 2014. @a_to_z

Harukawa Moe: Artist of Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery (published by Kadokawa).

(Will add more to this list later)

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Drake

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 3
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »
There's been a couple things of note that have happened recently, but going to start with a softball:

ZUN: I didn't announce it, but this weekend I will be at Peking University to give a talk. This is the first time I'll have been to China. To those in China, please come and shake hands with me!
https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/35150531
This event will be the 7th in a line of seminars based around "Japanese animation" culture hosted by the university. From what I can tell, ZUN will have a seminar, and they were taking submissions for articles written by fans to include in some sort of editorial compilation.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
Just saw the Q&A thing from Clarste (thanks!), i have to say i'm not disappointed by either the questions or the answers. The Sazae-san time (that for what i understand is what i like to call The Simpsons time) one is nice, although now i find it somewhat weird that Akyuu's death was brought up in FS.

Since these were only "some" of the questions, i hope for the others to come out from somewhere. I love when authors explain things.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:46:20 PM by PK »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
In case someone didn't see it, there's another interview on the wiki (in chinese).
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/ZUN_Interview_in_Beijing_University

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
In case someone didn't see it, there's another interview on the wiki (in chinese).
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/ZUN_Interview_in_Beijing_University
Pretty interesting read, especially the part about ZUN's decision to publish on Steam because of computers shipping without CD/DVD drives. It seems that this along with rising foreign interest finally led to him opening the floodgates. Also him with the Maotai is totally expected :D.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
Wonder if this will parlay into selling games on USB sticks at his table. I'd be into that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 02:37:15 PM »
If so, he'd probably be the first major game circle to do that. Others have started to shift away from CDs, but in favor of download cards.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »
Oh, yeah, I reckon that would make a lot more sense.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
selling games on USB sticks
Even better: read-only SD cards in (3)DS game card sized cases. It would almost be like indie artists selling their albums on cassettes.

Branneg Xy

• ^UP http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html ^
    • (FREE) LINKEDIN PROFILE
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »
Those 3  are very nice ideas and examples of Digital Improvement over CD/DVD/BD (last one putside of Touhou,if not for some Special Editions of a few Specialized TH Fan Anime : USB  Sticks , DOWNLOAD Cards and 3DS-size SD ! Personally and from my "Enviroment"(Italy and generically South EU) the USB and DOWNLOADS would be the most favourite/popular and Viable but SD would be an interesting and growing secondary.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:15:15 PM by Branneg Xy »
^^^^ http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html  " 西行寺幽々子の強奪!!隣の晩御飯 " ->>>
" Yuyuko Saigyouji 's "Uslurpation" !! Dinner is Next ".
( Possibilities of ENGrish ) ^^^^ .

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 04:58:24 PM »
So apparently ZUN is actually preparing something for summer (but might miss the deadline?). Is that right?

Oh, it's also on Touhou's Facebook page. Good to have a confirmation.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:18:17 PM by PK »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 01:25:19 AM »
Yeah, he did get accepted to Comiket so I imagine he'll try to have something to show for it. If nothing else, there will be a release sometime this year.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 05:10:40 AM »
Yeah, he did get accepted to Comiket so I imagine he'll try to have something to show for it. If nothing else, there will be a release sometime this year.

Touhou 16.5? Touhou 17? New official manga? New Sealing Club?
Who knows what Zun has in mind? Looking forward to Comiket...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Drake

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 09:07:48 AM »
Okonogi: This month's Nikenme Radio is planned for 7/31 at 8PM. I wonder if something or other might be announced before then... It is a mystery

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT: It isn't a mystery
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:35:12 AM by Drake »