Author Topic: Analyzing Touhou Music  (Read 4754 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Analyzing Touhou Music
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:53:10 AM »
I have an obsession with analyzing/transcribing the chords and melody in Touhou songs.

Right now, I've been using TheoryTab/HookPad to dump the transcriptions so that I can access them whenever I need them.

I've set up a Google Sheet with every singe game's song in there. CD and written work music is to be done later when I have time. Here it is.

My goal is to have every single song have green next to it in some way or another. But that will be a while, considering how many PC-98 songs are missing, and exactly 2 U2 Akiyama songs are on there.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
Re: Analyzing Touhou Music
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:12:27 AM »
I have an obsession with analyzing/transcribing the chords and melody in Touhou songs.
You seem to have the transcribing bit down, but analysing involves discussions and explanations of the various chord progressions. Besides half the time, when the basic Touhou chord progressions are used, there are some really interesting progressions and melodies to analyse, so consider doing full analysis for those ones.

Right now, I've been using TheoryTab/HookPad to dump the transcriptions so that I can access them whenever I need them.
Is there anywhere we can access the transcriptions? (I'm totally not gonna pick out mistakes or anything)

exactly 2 U2 Akiyama songs are on there.
U2 Akiyama, as a different composer, has a bunch of interesting stuff you should look into (particularly SWR, hint hint).
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
most of them can be found here

the u2 ones are broken moon and memory of foregathering dream. just look those up in the search box on theorytab

also the website is collaborative, so you?ll see other people?s transcriptions and edits
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »
most of them can be found here

also the website is collaborative, so you?ll see other people?s transcriptions and edits
Ah ok. Taking a quick look, a bunch of them seem good, but I need to yell at the transcribers for a few of them.

I find this harder to read than actual sheet music.

You seem to have the transcribing bit down, but analysing involves discussions and explanations of the various chord progressions. Besides half the time, when the basic Touhou chord progressions are used, there are some really interesting progressions and melodies to analyse, so consider doing full analysis for those ones.
This is the fun bit and I'm expecting it.
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that