Author Topic: Impossible Expectation for Eastern Being - Thinking about Hype  (Read 5247 times)

Impossible Expectation for Eastern Being - Thinking about Hype
« on: December 11, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
So, I recently watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14k1xxsduiA

If you don't want to watch it, it's about how Half-Life 3, rather than haven't being made yet, it should never be made, as the hype is waaay too long and way too big, the expectation for it become impossible to achieve, and any effort put into actually, successfully making the thing will no doubt unable to justified having to wait for such a long time, especially in the internet age when thing kept rolling out one after the next...And that is exactly what happen to PC-98 actually: The thinking that maybe, eventually any character aside from Alice and Yuuka will come back, constract with the amount of time that have passed since their last appearance. (It's basically a Meme already)

So...with all the expectation you guy all brewing inside about that, what is your expectation now for them when they appear? And also...how much disappointed you're going to be when they do show up? Kinda asking as the outsider here, since I haven't experience the hype like some of you guy do.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:39:44 PM by andykhang »

Re: Impossible Expectation for Eastern Being - Thinking about Hype
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
mima pls
BRING MIMA BACK OR RIOT

1cc PODD no deaths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfSxwB5uYw

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
HOW DARE YOU, MIMA-SAMA WILL TWILIGHT SPARK YOU TO DEATH ONCE SHE RETURNS!!!!!1!1!!

Jokes aside, I agree with the Half-Life 3 video. The pc-98 characters(mostly Mima and Shinki) hype makes it basically impossible for ZUN to meet the fans' spectations if he brings them back. That's one of the many reasons why I believe he'll never bring them back, I think it'd be better if we just forget about them, even ZUN has told us to.

BUT in the extremely unlikely event that a pc-98 character returns, considering how little development they ever had, it'll be pretty much like a new character. That's my opinion though.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:04:35 AM »
What Geno said. Not to mention that most ideas that went into PC-98 chars have been reused in Windows era ones already. That adds another level of awkwardness to the idea of bringing them back.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:06:43 AM »
Probably what happened with Yuuka. They'll get to star in one game, then forgotten forever.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 04:51:22 PM »
No matter how high the hype is built, some people will still be satisfied that it's there, especially if it's close enough to it's older appearance. If "flying cars" ever happens the way it's usually portrayed, people will remember it in a special way, even if it's terrible.
Some people might like the new design if the character has one, or their interactions with the characters and the newer ones if they're relevant enough. They might have a shot type or quotes that people love. Applies to all of them, but for the hyped ones, it'll still have "finally happened". That's good enough for a lot of people.
Unless it's done terribly, like making them into a completely different character that's practically just dressed similarly.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:34:54 AM »
That's true, in some sense. But the majority of people is also silent, and the few that care is also the few that speak volume. That would impact the game's future significantly in this internet age. You don't need alot of people to mess everything up and all.