Author Topic: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)  (Read 41879 times)

PX

• School Idol?
Re: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2016, 01:28:31 AM »
Tsubasa wo Kudasai is a traditional Japanese Folk Song :v

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2016, 01:31:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm not saying Eva invented it, but they used it very famously in a very similar scene.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2016, 03:26:32 PM »
Oh god Episode 7 of Despair arc scared the shit out of me...

Edit: Episode 8 of Future arc (subbed) will be delayed until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:26:06 PM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
I don't mean to double post, but holy shit Episode 8 of Future was awesome:

Spoiler:
Ruruka got her just deserts and everybody was spot on about Izayoi's forbiden action he wasn't allowed to eat food especially from Ruruka, although yeah she did indeed killed him due to her forbidden action... also are we gonna see in episode 8 of Despair arc of how Sukaraka (or w/e the boxing dude's name is) got beaten by Junko I saw a him saying he wasn't gonna fail no more and saw Junko and her shit eating grin with Hope's Peak in the back ground, something tells me we might see his side of the story. Then on top of that Koichi's forbidden action was opening his left hand which he had to use to save Kyoko and we find out he was the one that took the picture. But that ending though what does it mean? Also seems like fake Gekogara is now being auto pilot to kill Future Foundation members.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:56:56 PM by MewMewHeart »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
Late again, but I'm ready for episode eight of Future Arc:

Spoiler:
-Do we know the woman from that bizarre opening bit? I don't remember her.

-Who's even flying those Remnants helicopters? Monokuma?

-Ruruka tripping was a pretense to grab a bomb or something, wasn't it?

-There's that eye/face thing again when someone dies.

-Huh, is Ruruka the killer? I'm guessing she isn't and she's on another third or fourth side, but I guess she could be.

-Daaaamn Kyoko's badass just detectiving without breaking a sweat as she's actively about to be murdered.

-That door is a trap, isn't it?

-Oh wow, I was definitely expecting the post-credits sting to be Juzo prying the door open, being blown away by a spear trap or something, and Ruruka realizing she killed Sonosuke for no reason. Maybe that's coming, or maybe it's just a fake. Or it was a real door but if it was it probably doesn't work any more...

This was a nice solid episode. Nothing absolutely mind-blowing happened but it confirmed some suspicions and set a lot of stuff in motion.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
Late again, but I'm ready for episode eight of Future Arc:

Spoiler:
-Do we know the woman from that bizarre opening bit? I don't remember her.
Spoiler:
She's the substitute teacher that fainted in Despair arc Episode 2

Edit: Episode 8 of Despair arc will be delayed tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:56:40 PM by MewMewHeart »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
Despair Arc Episode 8: HOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!

Spoiler:
At least now we see how Mikan went bonkers, and also the Impostor's disguise might be revealed next episode or so, however OH GOD WE MIGHT SEE CHIAKI DIE WHICH I'M SCARED OF and then we see Iszuru and Nagito have a luck off... and wow Chiaki recognized Haijime even though he's now Iszuru that is scary.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2016, 01:51:52 AM »
Despair arc 8:

Spoiler:
Tsumiki: Worst character in this cast?

Man, I really like Ryota though. Gonna be so disappointed if he turns out to be evil.

Wait, why can't Junko copy Ryota's ability? And for that matter why can't Hajime just do it? Clearly he's extra special somehow.

Aaaaah what is Impostor up to?! Impostor episode please!

I guess I'd have to re-watch the series with this in mind, but what do we think about Nagito's talent? Is he really actually magic, or is he just super smart and passes everything off as luck? He definitely seemed to actually have magic powers at least a couple of times in Danganronpa 2, but I kind of brushed that off as being a result of the fact that nothing that happened in it was real. His plane happening to crash land near an oasis definitely seems like luck, unless he brought it down himself in just the right spot for some reason. Hmm...

I've been wondering if Mukuro is "like that" when she's in soldier mode, and this seems like confirmation that she isn't. This is definitely more like the version of her that we saw bits of in the first game, so I guess she's just weird around Junko. Interesting.

Oh weird, so Hajime CAN copy Nagito's luck? Well if that's the case then this is, again, kind of confirmation that it is actually real and not him just bullshitting. Unless Hajime managed to fuck with his gun somehow. But if he can copy it shouldn't Junko be able to as well? And why can't either of them copy Ryota's talent?

Well, that episode kind of raised more questions than it answered, but they're interesting questions, so good I guess?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2016, 01:55:47 AM »
SUMMARY EPISODE? BULLSHIT.

Does anyone know if I have to force myself to watch this? Is there any new or interesting information? I could honestly use a summary for some stuff, but I can never bring myself to watch summary episodes even if it's a good idea.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2016, 03:00:09 AM »
Do you really, really, think it's a summary episode? C'mon man.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2016, 03:05:41 AM »
Yeah, I did. This is anime, and relatively low-budget anime at that. Is it not? Good.

Conqueror

« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2016, 03:12:22 AM »
I can't really say much more without spoiling it, but it's far from a recap episode.

Will probably make a post later, still mulling over things in my head.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2016, 03:14:49 AM »
Cool. I look forward to watching it tomorrow then. I skipped ahead to see if there was an interesting framing device and I thought it looked like a summary with a particular framing, but I won't say anything so as not to spoil anything, especially given that I don't actually know what I saw.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »
Future Arc Episode 9:

Spoiler:
Ruruka really wow... IZAYOI WASN'T GONNA BETRAY OR HE WOULD'VE NEVER SET THE TRAPS although she was the one to die next in a brutal way although at least wow no Kyoko and Makoto kiss while Ruruka and Izyaoi get a kiss scene WOW REALLY ugh.  Everybody guessed it Kyoko's forbbiden action was Makoto related however it was just Makoto living pass the 4th time for the sleep drugs to kick in and my theory of Munakata being the culprit WAS on par I think, but damn man this is crazy... also rip Juzo. My heart just sank dude... Kyoko dies... GAME FUCKING OVER. Edit: EVEN THE INTERNET IS IN DESPAIR OVER KYOKO'S DEATH.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:17:26 PM by MewMewHeart »

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2016, 10:35:09 PM »
It was pretty good for a recap episode. I think they used some new animation for some of the scenes instead of just reusing animation like a normal recap episode would. :v If I'm right, there's probably something in those new scenes that will be important for the remaining episodes.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2016, 04:10:28 AM »
Alright, episode 9.

Spoiler:
Lol, I stopped watching literally a split second before "surprise, it's actually not a recap episode". Well, that's what I get for believing something Monokuma said.

On one hand it sucks that there's so little Monokuma in this show, but on the other hand, I really don't like Japanese Monokuma that much.

Hmm, so it looks like the theory about the actual game being in an underwater facility beneath the main tower was right, not terribly surprisingly. And I guess now the tower is crashing down on top of it?

Okay, robo-Miaya dies in the same manner as the opening once again. But there are enough counterexamples to just confuse me. Weird. Like with the red blood, I have no idea if this means anything.

Given how quiet she was at the beginning I had been assuming that Kyoko's forbidden action was talking about her theories or talking to Makoto, but it looks like neither is the case. I guess she was just busy gathering information. Or has her forbidden action been revealed and I just forgot?

If Sakakura makes it out of this episode I'll be shocked. Hell, if he makes it out of this scene I'll be shocked.

Lol yup, that was pretty much inevitable. I assume this week's Despair Arc episode will explain why. Unless they're both just talking about Sakakura and Chisa, in which case that's reeeeally petty.

Hmm, Kyoko's death flagging pretty hard and Ryota is acting pretty suspicious... I still don't think Ryota is the villain though, I think he's referring to something he's going to do in Despair Arc.

Oh noooo Kyoko! Noooo! She was never my favorite character, but she certainly wasn't my least favorite and I was liking her more and more as this show went on. Wow, that's rough. Is that this the highest-profile death the series has ever had? I mean, I'm not surprised, but I was hoping it wouldn't happen. Somehow.

Okay, so Munakata 1000000% confirmed as the main villain then? Or is this a red herring?

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »
Alright, episode 9.

Spoiler:
Or has her forbidden action been revealed and I just forgot?

Oh noooo Kyoko! Noooo! She was never my favorite character, but she certainly wasn't my least favorite and I was liking her more and more as this show went on. Wow, that's rough. Is that this the highest-profile death the series has ever had? I mean, I'm not surprised, but I was hoping it wouldn't happen. Somehow.

Okay, so Munakata 1000000% confirmed as the main villain then? Or is this a red herring?

Spoiler:

1. At the end they revealed Kyoko's forbbiden action which was Makato being alive during the 4th round. Also something interesting was found by Kyoko's body but you had to catch it quick, but I'll tell you what it was, she apparently had the Cure-W that Seiko had tried to give to the farmer that died from his NG some people think she might had taken it before they all passed out, but it's speculation and her notebook was found too which means she might have noted everybody's forbbiden actions well actually she DID have all of their forbbiden actions.

2. Pretty much Kyoko said, it herself and everything that Munakata has done thus far points to him being the villian and plus you can see on his FF phone that he had a list of everybody's forbbiden actions.

3.  Juzo making it out from that stab wound, nopechucktesta.

I'm surprised you didn't talk about Ruruka unless you're secretly celebrating?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
My comments were written in real time as I was watching, so my question about
Spoiler:
Kyoko's forbidden action
is obviously answered later.

Spoiler:
Munakata's phone and knowing about Kyoko seems to strongly confirm him as the mastermind, but there still might theoretically be time for a swerve that implicates Ryota. I hope not and don't expect it, but it's possible.

I was happy Ruruka died. She was even worse than I thought. Good riddance.

So at this point we seem to have definitively
Spoiler:
broken the formula of five survivors in a showdown with the culprit, unless the remaining Danganronpa 1 cast members show up and count.

Can anyone comment on the death counter? My roommate swore it was +1 from where it should be at the start of this episode, but nobody's gone back to check yet.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »
Whoa, wait a second.
Spoiler:
Isn't Munakata's phone actually the thing he tore out of Gekkougahara?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2016, 05:15:24 PM »
Spoiler:
Oh, you're probably right. I didn't make that connection at all. That seems like a weird plant, but that's probably true. Okay, yeah, that changes a lot.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
My comments were written in real time as I was watching, so my question about
Spoiler:
Kyoko's forbidden action
is obviously answered later.

Spoiler:
Munakata's phone and knowing about Kyoko seems to strongly confirm him as the mastermind, but there still might theoretically be time for a swerve that implicates Ryota. I hope not and don't expect it, but it's possible.

I was happy Ruruka died. She was even worse than I thought. Good riddance.

So at this point we seem to have definitively
Spoiler:
broken the formula of five survivors in a showdown with the culprit, unless the remaining Danganronpa 1 cast members show up and count.

Can anyone comment on the death counter? My roommate swore it was +1 from where it should be at the start of this episode, but nobody's gone back to check yet.
Spoiler:
It said... fuck 10 I think....

Conqueror

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2016, 08:41:44 PM »
Spoiler:
Death counter was 9 (down 1 after Kizakura died last week; the other 6 deaths are Chisa, Bandai, Gozu, Seiko, Izayoi, and Tengan so it's correct if we start from 16). After the deaths of Mechamiaya, Juzo, Ruruka, and Kirigiri, we should be down to 5. However, the only living players we know of are Naegi, Asahina, Ryota, and Munakata, so again we have the mysterious 16th participant which has been counted all game.

I feel like there's something off about Kyoko just lying down and dying for Naegi like that. Unless she already figured out who the mastermind is in her little notebook, it seems out of character for her to just accept her death without trying to crack the case beyond "maybe it's Munakata." I'm hoping she's faking her death somehow, but I don't know how she'd fool the mastermind and what her plan would be.

I don't think Munakata is the main villain, and I'll be typing up a huge post what I think the setup is later.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:57:32 PM by Conqueror »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »
Spoiler:
We already pulled the fake-out death of a beloved Danganronpa 1 character this series once, and it felt cheap then. If Kyoko also turns out to be alive it's going to be bad. I think the solution is in her notebook or otherwise written down somewhere. Or maybe... Alter Kyoko?! No, my guess is it's in the notebook. Maybe cryptically hidden.

Conqueror

« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
Spoiler:
Not a big fan of death fakeouts myself but in the event that Kyoko was faking her death it would be part of her grand plan to reveal the mastermind so it would be an essential part of the story, not like Asahina's death which was Kodaka and Monaca trolling the viewers and could have been left out with nothing of value lost.

I do think the notebook is important; at 20:35 you can see the notebook lying underneath her arm, but if you look at 18:42, the notebook was nowhere near her when she collapsed. So someone was looking at it while everyone was knocked out. Was it the traitor/mastermind, or was it Kyoko?

Oops, I meant I don't think Munakata is the main villain, not isn't.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
Spoiler:
Death counter was 9 (down 1 after Kizakura died last week; the other 6 deaths are Chisa, Bandai, Gozu, Seiko, Izayoi, and Tengan so it's correct if we start from 16). After the deaths of Mechamiaya, Juzo, Ruruka, and Kirigiri, we should be down to 5. However, the only living players we know of are Naegi, Asahina, Ryota, and Munakata, so again we have the mysterious 16th participant which has been counted all game.

I feel like there's something off about Kyoko just lying down and dying for Naegi like that. Unless she already figured out who the mastermind is in her little notebook, it seems out of character for her to just accept her death without trying to crack the case beyond "maybe it's Munakata." I'm hoping she's faking her death somehow, but I don't know how she'd fool the mastermind and what her plan would be.

I don't think Munakata is the main villain, and I'll be typing up a huge post what I think the setup is later.

Edit: typo
Spoiler:
I've actually seen a theory floating around that Hagakure is counted in the death counter for whatever reason despite not being in the building itself.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »
Spoiler:
Oops, I meant I don't think Munakata is the main villain, not isn't.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I wondered which one you meant.

For the record, I don't necessarily think he's the MAIN villain. I briefly did yesterday when I got confused about that phone, but overall I haven't been under the assumption that he was. However, I do think he's the killer in the game. My guess for the main villain is still Chisa, although I'm not sure whether she's alive or dead at this point, or where Tengan fits into this.

Conqueror

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »
Spoiler:
Eh, got too tired to think more about my theory so posting the incomplete version. I picked up bits and pieces from stuff people have talked about elsewhere.

http://i.imgur.com/YQwIwo7.jpg

Why did Munakata refer to Asahina and Naegi as despair? Because everyone is latent despair, and they're being converted to despair one by one before committing suicide. So Munakata reasons that it's easier to kill them before they inevitably submit to despair.

Look at the death scenes (refer to image above). The anime goes out of its way to point out the Monokuma screen above each dead body. Because the mastermind needs some way to visually communicate with the participants, via the brainwashing techniques that Ryota has perfected. After everyone falls asleep, one person is revived and is brainwashed into becoming despair, after which they commit suicide.

There are a lot of small details which support this. Gozu's eyes being gouged out; maybe he tried to stop himself from looking at the video? Ruruka trying to kill herself with candy like the way she killed her two best friends, and slicing herself across the legs like Nagito did, maybe to try to snap her out of the brainwashing. The ripped pieces of cloth in Ruruka's hands. Ruruka and Chisa crying as they died, implying they were awake; if the killer was someone else, why would they be awake? Because it was a suicide. The knives are probably hidden around the building or are provided by an accomplice who also sneaks around at night through the ceiling tiles.

The bodies are suspended because Monaca was messing with everyone. This is also why Ruruka's body isn't suspended; Monaca left.

So who set this up? Recall that Tengan wasn't too worried about dying off, and he also knew the attacker. Why? Because he is one of the people who set up the game. After the disaster of Class 77 becoming despair and the failure of Izuru, Tengan realized that the Hope can only be instilled if people have already overcome despair, so they won't be susceptible to it. Tengan already sees that Munakata and the rest of the FF are on the verge of despair, so he decides to put his plan into motion to purge the current FF of despair. With the help of Ryota, he sets his plan into motion: members of the FF will be plunged into despair one by one to see if they can overcome it with hope. If not, they kill themselves and the cycle continues until they find someone who can become true hope. This what Tengan meant by not letting the results of the Kamakura project go to waste. It's why he knew who the attacker was. It's how this entire game could have been set up under the FF headquarters without anyone else knowing. It's why he entrusted the world's hope to Ryota in his dying message, to make sure the game continued to run smoothly. It's why Munakata went nuclear after Tengan told him the truth, and why he's killing everyone before they fall into despair, because Munakata believes only he is true hope. It's why Tengan was surprised when Munakata killed him and asked Munakata where he would find hope.

Also, as I said above, Kyoko's notebook moved during sleepy poison gas time, which means someone in the room was awake during that time (closed room, although technically we still haven't seen if it's still closed). This supports Ryota being some sort of accomplice, since other than the theory that Kirigiri was faking her death, I don't see anyone in that room who could have looked at the notebook.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2016, 02:44:29 PM »
Spoiler:
Eh, got too tired to think more about my theory so posting the incomplete version. I picked up bits and pieces from stuff people have talked about elsewhere.

http://i.imgur.com/YQwIwo7.jpg

Why did Munakata refer to Asahina and Naegi as despair? Because everyone is latent despair, and they're being converted to despair one by one before committing suicide. So Munakata reasons that it's easier to kill them before they inevitably submit to despair.

Look at the death scenes (refer to image above). The anime goes out of its way to point out the Monokuma screen above each dead body. Because the mastermind needs some way to visually communicate with the participants, via the brainwashing techniques that Ryota has perfected. After everyone falls asleep, one person is revived and is brainwashed into becoming despair, after which they commit suicide.

There are a lot of small details which support this. Gozu's eyes being gouged out; maybe he tried to stop himself from looking at the video? Ruruka trying to kill herself with candy like the way she killed her two best friends, and slicing herself across the legs like Nagito did, maybe to try to snap her out of the brainwashing. The ripped pieces of cloth in Ruruka's hands. Ruruka and Chisa crying as they died, implying they were awake; if the killer was someone else, why would they be awake? Because it was a suicide. The knives are probably hidden around the building or are provided by an accomplice who also sneaks around at night through the ceiling tiles.

The bodies are suspended because Monaca was messing with everyone. This is also why Ruruka's body isn't suspended; Monaca left.

So who set this up? Recall that Tengan wasn't too worried about dying off, and he also knew the attacker. Why? Because he is one of the people who set up the game. After the disaster of Class 77 becoming despair and the failure of Izuru, Tengan realized that the Hope can only be instilled if people have already overcome despair, so they won't be susceptible to it. Tengan already sees that Munakata and the rest of the FF are on the verge of despair, so he decides to put his plan into motion to purge the current FF of despair. With the help of Ryota, he sets his plan into motion: members of the FF will be plunged into despair one by one to see if they can overcome it with hope. If not, they kill themselves and the cycle continues until they find someone who can become true hope. This what Tengan meant by not letting the results of the Kamakura project go to waste. It's why he knew who the attacker was. It's how this entire game could have been set up under the FF headquarters without anyone else knowing. It's why he entrusted the world's hope to Ryota in his dying message, to make sure the game continued to run smoothly. It's why Munakata went nuclear after Tengan told him the truth, and why he's killing everyone before they fall into despair, because Munakata believes only he is true hope. It's why Tengan was surprised when Munakata killed him and asked Munakata where he would find hope.

Also, as I said above, Kyoko's notebook moved during sleepy poison gas time, which means someone in the room was awake during that time (closed room, although technically we still haven't seen if it's still closed). This supports Ryota being some sort of accomplice, since other than the theory that Kirigiri was faking her death, I don't see anyone in that room who could have looked at the notebook.
Spoiler:
That all makes a lot of sense, but I just have one question: What's up with the forbidden actions? Why did Tengan give himself a forbidden action, especially an extremely potentially disastrous one? It would have made sense if he had planned to reveal it early on to gain everyone's trust, but he didn't. I guess it may have just been fake and the fake message was intended to drive a point home to Munakata, and he could have (and maybe even did) lie the whole time with no consequences.

The monitors are definitely a big thing, and it's possible that they're just meant to indicate that someone was brainwashed (Munakata), not necessarily that the victim was. That doesn't explain a lot of the major clues that seemed to indicate that the victims were awake though, unless there was a single killer and he was covering his tracks in a very specific way for some reason.

Conqueror

« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's the issue, it's not a complete theory, since I haven't figured out how to account for why people were given forbidden actions. I don't think Tengan's NG code was a fake for some reason. I actually can't think of a reason why forbidden actions are there in the first place except for extreme sadism, which leads me to think Junko, and I'm rejecting Junko part 3 out of hand because I refuse to believe it. A lot of the NGs are ironic and they seemed to be specifically tailored for the individual, but I can't for my life figure out what that means.

Conqueror

« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »
Well, the new episode confirms that
Spoiler:
I have no idea what's going on anymore, other than this leads to the assumption that Chisa is the mastermind and faked her death. Although now if Munakata and Juzo also know Junko was the mastermind, that opens up the question of why she was left in Hope's Peak with the rest of her classmates.

Edit:
Spoiler:
Actually, combining the Chisa mastermind theory with the monitor suicide theory makes some sort of sense, what changes is the motive becomes despair instead, which is typical of Danganronpa I guess.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:31:10 PM by Conqueror »