Author Topic: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)  (Read 41242 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 12:11:12 AM »
Alriiiiiight, super excited for this episode!

Spoiler:
-Aw, Seiko is such a sweetie. Fuck Ruruka for taking advantage of her, and Sonosuke for defending Ruruka.

-Alright, so it appears that the opening does NOT change to reflect how people actually die, which means Kazuo's death is the only one so far that doesn't match. That being the case, currently I'm operating under the assumption that he is not dead. He might be such a badass motherfucker that getting impaled isn't enough to finish him off.

-If Kazuo is alive though does that mean nobody died last episode? Unless I'm forgetting something the only other option is Maiya, and her death in the opening has her getting cut in half the long way, which I'm pretty sure didn't happen. Maybe Seiko actually died from an overdose of her Hulk drug and is only still going on pure willpower despite being medically dead, and she'll stop moving once the drug wears off?

-I've got to start keeping a closer eye on the survivor counter at the beginning to spot discrepancies more easily. This episode says 13 survivors. Which I think means only three deaths since the beginning. Gozu, Daisuku, and ???. Not counting Chisa anyway.

-Oh, okay, Kazuo is still explicitly alive for now. I thought he stopped talking and moving last episode, but maybe not. And this might be a slight rewind I guess. And in light of that fact I'm still not really sure how the opening works.

-Why is Juzo such a scumshit? I usually expect a bit more nuance from my Danganronpa characters than just "he's a mindless thug". Backstory incoming I assume.

-I've never liked Asahina before, but I sure like her now. She's not just being counterproductive dead weight and her new look is cool.

-Hmm, I wonder what Kyoko learned? Maybe that Chisa's body isn't actually Chisa and that she's using a fake corpse, Junko-style?

-I am now 90% convinced Chisa is the cause of all of this, but who's the attacker? Kazuo's reveal makes the most sense if he says the attacker was Chisa, but can she be both the culprit and the attacker? Maybe the aforementioned false corpse, or maybe she set this all up so far in advance that she still counts? I feel like the only other reveal that could have shocked Kyosuke that much is if Kazuo told him that Kyosuke himself is the attacker, and I suppose that's not impossible either through various potential shenanigans.

-Actually Kyosuke being the killer does kind of make thematic sense. If he has a dual identity even he isn't aware of (maybe being hypnotically coerced by Miaya as the Ultimate Therapist or something?) then he sort of resembles Monokuma's split appearance. And if that's the case, he just lost his left eye, which is Monokuma's white eye. Meaning the maybe his good side is dead now and he's going to become the straight-up villain at this point?

-Well, Seiko being the one to die was kind of likely, but I'm sad she is. And again, as of right now it looks like her death doesn't match the opening since she appears to have been shot. Maybe her drugs made her heart explode and she wasn't actually murdered?

-Hmm, the credits sting kind of makes it look like Kyosuke did kill Seiko, but maybe more out of necessity than because he's the killer. Or maybe he had no problem killing her out of necessity since he now knows he killed Gozu? Not like he's been hesitant to try to murder people up to now.

Yup, another good episode. Damn week-long wait until the next one.

Spoiler:
-Alright, so to summarize, my current theory is that Chisa initiated all of this and manipulated Kyosuke into unconsciously being the killer up to now, probably with Miaya/Monaca's help. Now that Kyosuke knows that he's completely broken and the side of him that wasn't under Chisa's control is evil now as well.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:13:33 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 05:36:19 PM »
-Are we supposed to recognize that dog from somewhere? What was up with that dog?

In the beginning of the episode there are a ton of lost dog signs on the walls, and in the end you can see it on Tanaka's shoulder.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
In the beginning of the episode there are a ton of lost dog signs on the walls, and in the end you can see it on Tanaka's shoulder.

I know, but why?

I mean, now we've seen it twice, but what was up with those "wanted dead or alive" posters? Just a weird joke I guess?

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2016, 11:20:47 PM »
??? I'm not totally sure what you're asking, but it's just a simple, self-contained story. Tanaka loses dog. Tanaka posts wanted signs. Tanaka finds dog.

From a meta perspective, they probably just added in these minor details to give the dog some context, since otherwise it would just be a random dog with no explanation. But I guess they didn't do a very good job at it? ;v

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2016, 01:15:29 AM »
Alright. New minor theory. Worked this out with a roommate earlier, fairly confident about it unless I missed something.

Spoiler:
In light of how he keeps using weapons, I'm fairly certain Juzo's forbidden action is that he can't hit people with his fists. But wait, didn't he punch Ryota in the gut earlier? So that being the case and given that he used weapons against Maiya and Aoi I think it's more specifically that he isn't allowed to hit women with his fists.

Meanwhile, several different factors, all of which I've mentioned previously, have been pointing to Ryota being a crossdressing woman. He wouldn't let Kyoko see his forbidden action because I'm pretty sure it's "Someone finds out you're a woman". Since Juzo has already hit him, this sets him/her up to sacrifice himself/herself later on to kill Juzo right before he does something bad by revealing himself/herself, killing them both. So maybe Juzo's action has to be "Knowingly hit a woman with your fist" or something.

It's kind of crazy, but I think enough signs do point to it right now.

??? I'm not totally sure what you're asking, but it's just a simple, self-contained story. Tanaka loses dog. Tanaka posts wanted signs. Tanaka finds dog.

From a meta perspective, they probably just added in these minor details to give the dog some context, since otherwise it would just be a random dog with no explanation. But I guess they didn't do a very good job at it? ;v

It wasn't Tanaka's dog though? Isn't it Seiko or Ruruka's dog? I think he just ends up with it at the end.
Spoiler:
It is the same dog from the beginning of the next episode isn't it? Or did they just weirdly use the same model for two different dogs associated with the same characters?

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2016, 02:22:43 AM »

doesn't look like the same dog to me ;v

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2016, 02:44:03 AM »
Huh. It sort of does to me. Looks like the same dog but older. It's definitely not for sure, but they're weirdly similarly shaped if they're not the same.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2016, 02:46:09 AM »
Spoiler:
In light of how he keeps using weapons, I'm fairly certain Juzo's forbidden action is that he can't hit people with his fists. But wait, didn't he punch Ryota in the gut earlier? So that being the case and given that he used weapons against Maiya and Aoi I think it's more specifically that he isn't allowed to hit women with his fists.

Meanwhile, several different factors, all of which I've mentioned previously, have been pointing to Ryota being a crossdressing woman. He wouldn't let Kyoko see his forbidden action because I'm pretty sure it's "Someone finds out you're a woman". Since Juzo has already hit him, this sets him/her up to sacrifice himself/herself later on to kill Juzo right before he does something bad by revealing himself/herself, killing them both. So maybe Juzo's action has to be "Knowingly hit a woman with your fist" or something.

It's kind of crazy, but I think enough signs do point to it right now.
Spoiler:
Juzo actually kneed Ryota, but it's easy to miss. He was also getting ready to hit Aoi before he kneed Ryota, so I don't think that's it.

I think Ryota is a guy and the reason he doesn't want to reveal his action is because he's the traitor and his action has something to do with suspending above ground. Ryota was one of the few FF members scouted directly by Tengan. Combine this with Tengan knowing who the traitor is (and not doing anything about it), and I think he's a good pick for traitor. It's possible the killing game was originally orchestrated by the Tengan and several members of the future foundation in order to find the new ultimate hope that will overcome all despair - just like Naegi's hope was matured in the killing school life, this FF killing game would weed out the trash and create a new ultimate hope, and the mastermind could be pinned on some despair pansy. Ties in to Tengan saying he didn't want the hope project to go to waste. This last paragraph is just pure conjecture though, like the current building being an underwater complex located under the headquarters.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2016, 03:05:43 AM »
Yeah, a big problem with theorycrafting is that I haven't been going back and re-watching anything.

Spoiler:
Juzo actually kneed Ryota, but it's easy to miss.
Spoiler:
Hmmm, yeah that's definitely a thing. So that does kind of throw fuel on the "Juzo isn't allowed to punch people" fire, except...

He was also getting ready to hit Aoi before he kneed Ryota, so I don't think that's it.

Spoiler:
He COULD have just been trying to scare her and not actually intending to follow it through.

There's also the fact that, for all intents, him not being able to punch doesn't really seem to matter. He's still seemingly an invincible super-hulk, and of the people who fit that description two are dead, one is on his side (or at least was until just now) and one has already lost to him. So if he actually ever needs to punch anyone it will be Kyosuke at this point. Or maybe an indestructible door that he can only break with a punch or something. Barring something like that though he could probably take out the rest of the cast without ever needing to throw a punch, so the restriction must be there for a reason. Or conceivably he's faking and his restriction is something else, but I'm not sure if he's that sneaky or not.

I think Ryota is a guy and the reason he doesn't want to reveal his action is because he's the traitor and his action has something to do with suspending above ground. Ryota was one of the few FF members scouted directly by Tengan. Combine this with Tengan knowing who the traitor is (and not doing anything about it), and I think he's a good pick for traitor. It's possible the killing game was originally orchestrated by the Tengan and several members of the future foundation in order to find the new ultimate hope that will overcome all despair - just like Naegi's hope was matured in the killing school life, this FF killing game would weed out the trash and create a new ultimate hope, and the mastermind could be pinned on some despair pansy. Ties in to Tengan saying he didn't want the hope project to go to waste. This last paragraph is just pure conjecture though, like the current building being an underwater complex located under the headquarters.[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
I think the idea that a Future Foundation member orchestrated this game, probably for approximately that reason, is very likely, but my money's on Chisa. Tengan may have been in on it, I'm not sure.

There are a few people who could have been in on it, and Tengan and Ryota are definitely among them. However, I'm not sure Kysouke's reaction to hearing who the killer is fits if it was Ryota unless they have some relationship we haven't seen yet. He seemed pretty ready to suspect just about anyone, so that level of shock makes the most sense if it's one of the few people who he didn't suspect, or someone who seemed like an impossible choice. Maybe he was shocked because he considers Ryota too ineffectual to pull it off, but I don't think so at this point.

Regarding Tengan not wanting the project to go to waste, I was thinking he may have been referring to Hajime specifically. He probably helped Makoto save the Remnants to keep Hajime alive. Not sure what further significance that has at this point, and it didn't occur to me he might have meant something else. Have to go back and re-watch that I guess.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »
It's the beginning of the end, and I am going to love it

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »
Didn't get around to watching the new Despair Arc episode for a bit, but roommate busted down my door last night all "Hey there's a huge plot twist you're going to love, watch it right now". So I did.

Spoiler:
The "huge plot twist" he was talking about was the Impostor/Ryota thing. Because he didn't realize that that's been a thing for the entire series apparently.

This was a nothing episode. As much as I want to see The Impostor do shit, nothing happened that I can remember. Is there a single thing we learned that we didn't already know?

Also not a fan of casual serial killer The Joker Junko. I understand that she's a wacky cartoon character of a villain, but that went a bit far of me. Like apparently she's already killed hundreds and hundreds of people before enacting her master plan? That kind of lessens it a bit for me.

The one minor takeaway I had from this episode is possibly just nothing, it's a little bit of framing at the end where Junk talks about "the two people who are going to bring despair to Hope's Peak arriving" or something and she's talking about herself and Mukuro but the camera is actually on her and Makoto. Could be nothing, could be foreshadowing to Future Arc, could be foreshadowing that Makoto has a bigger role in the Atrocious Event than we knew.

Anyway, this episode got upsold to me and I was boooooored the whole way through despite technically getting some of the stuff I've been asking for. Definitely a step down from last episode.

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »
Spoiler:
As soon as kid Ryota showed up I was thinking "RIP that's a death flag if I ever saw one" but by the end of the episode I felt like it wasn't nearly enough backstory to call it a death flag just yet. Although I guess since they started his "arc", it's not like they're going to leave him alive after they complete it, so I guess he's done for. So I guess that means he's not the traitor after all? That's kind of disappointing. "Strong sense of justice" and "enamored with hope" are two character traits just begging to lead to a mental breakdown filled with despair, so I was hoping it would go in that direction ;v

Also it looks like this episode confirmed some of the answers people had to common questions like "where are the rest of the people in the 77th class" (answer: there are multiple classes) and "why is the impostor disguised as Ryota if he was disguised as Togami before school started" (answer: he changed disguises). So the writers seem to know what they're doing in terms of continuity, so I guess I don't need to doubt them :L

Conqueror

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2016, 09:01:35 PM »
Spoiler:
I don't really see Ryota's development as a death flag. Seiko was a dead end in terms of characterization and plot relevance so it made sense that she would die off when she did, but Ryota has too many loose ends hanging around him I feel. I'm a little worried about the "Future Arc is all an anime designed to fill everyone with hope and Ryota is the protagonist who will save the world there" twist with Ryota's backstory and the storyboard frames on his desk which turned out to be actual frames from Zetsubou, but the latter is probably an easter egg.

I was wondering what the Imposter was doing while he was impersonated as Byakuya, before he adopted Ryota's identity. Was he already attending Hope's Peak as Byakuya; in that case woudl the 16th seat in that class be his?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2016, 10:09:22 PM »
Watched Episode 5 of Despair arc and... oh boy... this is gonna be a train wreck on Episode 6 yes?
Spoiler:
Junko was a psychopath before even being one and causing the whole world to fall down... dafuq mang.  Mikan and Imposter moment was like... GIRL HOLD THE FUCK ON... let him finish telling his backstory. Everything else is... starting to fall into place and Hiyoko's sudden change seems to have been explained.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Conqueror

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2016, 12:53:04 AM »
Some interesting screenshots from despair episode 5
http://imgur.com/a/jfkNX

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2016, 02:44:52 AM »
I wouldn't look too much into it, it could be a very cool easter egg

Conqueror

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2016, 05:13:10 AM »
That's what I thought, especially since it happened 3 times. Just something fun.

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
Episode 6 spoilers.

Spoiler:
Well, since there was zero development for Ryota this episode so the last ep was just a red herring I guess. :v

The popular theory appears to be that Ruruka caused Izayoi's death via NG and tried to cover it up by making it look like the attacker did it. If that's the case, the highest priority concern for the anime would be to resolve this plot thread, which would mean that the next future arc episode will probably be focused on Ruruka. Revealing the truth behind Izayoi's death, flashbacks, et cetera, leading up to Ruruka being killed by the attacker. It makes things much neater if Ruruka dies because that means only the "important" characters are left, meaning we can properly go into endgame territory :v :v

Monaca is probably not the mastermind since Monokuma specifically lied and said that their game was being broadcast, so it doesn't make sense for Monaca to enable communication with the outside which would allow the players to learn that the game wasn't being broadcast. I'm still not totally sure what the connection between Monaca and the mastermind is, though, or what Monaca is trying to accomplish in the first place.

The final thing is that there's supposedly a connection between the attack on Jabberwock Island and the killing game taking place, but I have no idea what the motives would be for someone who would do both of those things. ?_?

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2016, 11:36:27 PM »
Spoiler:
Holy shit that plot twist at the end... are the Danaganronpa 2 cast starting to turn back into remnants of despair??

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2016, 11:42:58 PM »
Spoiler:
Holy shit that plot twist at the end... are the Danaganronpa 2 cast starting to turn back into remnants of despair??

Spoiler:
Well they never finished the rehabilitation process, they just hit the reset button on it hoping everything would turn out alright :v

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2016, 12:07:03 AM »
Spoiler:
Well they never finished the rehabilitation process, they just hit the reset button on it hoping everything would turn out alright :v
Spoiler:
Oh right...  welp shit is about to hit the fan.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2016, 01:26:28 AM »
Alright, episode six of Future Arc. Been looking forward to this.

Spoiler:
-Well, death counter's wrong. That's sketchy as fuck.

-Aw, Teen Chisa is a cutie. Even Juzo didn't seem that bad as a kid. Wonder what the fuck happened? Oh wait...

-Okay, so the scene with Chisa's corpse semi-confirms that it actually is her and not a fake or a different person. It is possible that Kyosuke either isn't of his right mind and might not be able to recognize if it isn't the real deal, or maybe he knows if it isn't and when he says "Goodbye, Chisa" he means that he's resolving to kill the real her if this one is a fake. Planting his sword in it seems like it miiiight be him striking back against her if she is in fact the culprit, is dead, and he knows that. Not really clear what it means, but obviously that scene is important.

-Well, the scene with Kyoko's corpse is obviously a dream sequence, but it got me for like a split second.

-Kyoko calling Gozu the attacker's second victim implies that she thinks the same person killer him and Chisa. Not necessarily a stretch, but not a given either as far as we know is it? Or was her death specifically attributed to the killer?

-Sonosuke's death seems like it was probably the missing one from the survivor counter, so unless something else crops up that probably means that he was killed during the sleep period. If that's the case, two people died, him and Seiko. Does this mean that one was killed by the killer and the other wasn't? If so then that kind of implies that Kyosuke is not the killer after all and that there's another one, but it's conceivable either one of them could have through other means and was already dead when the killer got there. My best guess is that Sonosuke killed Seiko, and Kyosuke found them shortly after and killed Sonosuke. Although Ruruka's REALLY suspicious in all of this too.

-Semi-confirmed that Maiya is not actually a separate character, she seems to be directly puppeteered by Monaca at all times. Wasn't sure if Monaca could only see through her eyes or if she had direct control, but she does seem to have direct control. Also probably confirms that she is an android and not a cyborg for whatever that's worth.

-Oh man, is it time for Byakuya to actually fucking do something or is he just going to fuck it up while pretending he's helping yet again? Is this the real Byakuya? He seems too useful, I bet he's a recording or a fake made by Monaca.

-Oh shit, it actually was him.

-Wait, does the real Maiya being dead have any relevance to the kill counter? This could free up a spot for someone who we thought was dead to have been alive the whole time. Chisa maybe?

-Yaaaaay more characters I actually like!

-Oh shit are the Remnants still evil after all? That was definitely a possibility. Well, they're confirmed awake, although it would have been kind of weird if they weren't.

The final thing is that there's supposedly a connection between the attack on Jabberwock Island and the killing game taking place, but I have no idea what the motives would be for someone who would do both of those things. ?_?[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
That does kind of poke a bit of a hole in my "Chisa is a member/ally of the Remnants and set this whole thing up" plan... Or maybe not. It's possible she fully expects the Remnants to win, either because she sabotaged the peacekeeping force, because they're just that powerful, or because she expected an intervention from another party. If that's the case the attack could be a ruse to reinforce to the Remnants that Future Foundation is their enemy and push them back toward despair.

That does leave addressing why the game wasn't actually being broadcast, but it could be because she didn't want anything that happens to or with the Remnants to be public or something? Maybe she wants them to return to power from the shadows or to be able to pull off the ruse that they actually are good now? That doesn't quite make sense, I'll have to think about it some more.

Conqueror

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2016, 06:23:23 AM »
Okay, I've totally figured out who the next death will be.
Spoiler:
The cases follow the same pattern as in the first two games:
3-1: Someone important is found stabbed in an unexpected place (Chisa falls from the chandelier).
3-2: The presence of a serial killer is revealed (Monaca).
3-3: The double murder (Seiko and Izayoi)
3-4: The Big Guy dies as a result of a sacrifice.

Juzo is going to die going down in a fight to protect someone else. He'll punch someone or something and die by NG code.

Real talk though. Munakata arming up confirms to me that he isn't the mastermind or traitor. But if he is planning to take on the mastermind or traitor, the only person I can think who poses that much of a threat is maybe Juzo (unlikely) or Monaca with her super arsenal. That said, I don't think Monaca is the mastermind because a) Togami said she was and Danganronpa likes making Togami completely wrong and b) why wouldn't she broadcast the game? Hunches aside, Monaca being connected to the game would explain how Monobear "hijacked" Monomi in the beginning; it would be scripted.

The revelation that the killings aren't being broadcast leads me to think this was game was setup as either a 1) personal grudge 2) internal consolidation of power or 3) controlled setting to create a new ultimate hope that can overcome the despair of a killing game, using the top echelon of the FF to provide the greatest possible stepping stone. Because if you're not going to broadcast the game, there's no reason not to just kill all the FF members in one swoop. Tengan having knowledge of who the attacker was and doing absolutely nothing about it makes me think it's either 2 or 3; the timing of the fleet sent to destroy the remnants of Despair would match up with this as well. Based on an analysis of who would be aligned with Tengan, I think the remaining people running the game are in the pool of Ryouta/Koichi/Chisa, with a chance of a mindwiped Munakata also being involved, in which case he'll commit suicide after wiping out all the other conspirators. That would explain why Tengan expected Munakata to stop attacking him after revealing the attacker, if he was involved in setting up the game.

tl;dr - the killings not being broadcast make me think this is an inside job. Or the mastermind just didnt have time to set up cameras lol, but then that wouldn't explain how they're able to monitor and set off NG codes, which are so varied that they can't be automatic.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »
Episode 6 of Despair arc:

Spoiler:
So Junko managed to out logic Izuru and in turn I think that Ryota might be the traitor theory might come to light in Episode 7 of Future arc or the impostor takes his place either one of these things are on the table.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2016, 07:00:02 PM »
Episode six of Despair Arc was the second non-terrible episode so far. A bunch of stuff we didn't already know about happened. A lot of it seems pretty relevant to both shows.
Spoiler:
They fully canonized that thing from that light novel about what Junko's real power is.
I can accept that.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
Episode 7 of Future Arc:

Spoiler:
Looks like Monaca is blasting off again to become a space neet, huh... I guess commander you were right about her not being the mastermind which means... it has to be an inside job, although what was going on at the end? It's good to see a call back to Ultra Despair Girls which made me happy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:21:04 PM by MewMewHeart »

Conqueror

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »
Spoiler:
Thought things over a bit while bouncing some ideas off people, refined my earlier theory.

Koichi and Ryota are the mastermind/traitor pair. Hunch is Koichi for the attacker - he's kept his left hand in his pocket the entire game to hide the fact he doesn't actually have a bracelet; Ryota doesn't seem like the type of person to get his hands dirty, and I feel like the mastermind would be more likely to wear a fake bracelet. Him and Ryota are the most likely to have been working with Tengan. Ryota shows some sign of guilt and asks Kirigiri about what she thinks about the kind of person who would run the game. Alternatively, there is no "mastermind" and Ryota is just one of a few collaborators, of which Tengan was one and Koichi is the designated attacker. Note that Koichi and Tengan have been pretty chill this entire game - not too worried about dying perhaps? The only other person I could see being involved in the setup of the games is Juzo (recruited as the attacker, motive would be bitterness), but he'd have to be working with someone else at least. I'm assuming Chisa is actually dead unless we have the Make-up Artist from Killer Killer involved.

Motive for the game: The Kamakura project was a failure, but after seeing Naegi's awakening as the Ultimate Hope in the first killing game, traitor-kun saw the best way to create a new hope. Ryota, Koichi, and him worked together to set up this internal killing game to create a new hero. This would be why Togami didn't detect any activity from the remnants of despair. This would also mean the chopper shooting at Hagakure is aligned with the Future Foundation; they're not trying to kill him, just prevent him from interfering. The similarity to the previous killing games are there to create a sense of urgency to tap into any hidden reserves of hope that only emerge in times of despair.

Chisa was probably killed first for the same reason that the FF fleets were sent to wipe out the remaining Remnants of Despair. She was tainted by association and despair must be eradicated.

Monaca will probably end up saving the day in the last episode and get redeemed.

Key questions:
Why is the body suspended? Unless they're just doing it for kicks there's presumably a reason.
16th participant, do they exist?

Edit: Forgot to add the most important part.
Spoiler:
Munakata is walking towards Kyoko; not to confront her, but the real people behind this game.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:56:25 PM by Conqueror »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:46 PM »
Edit: Forgot to add the most important part.
Spoiler:
Munakata is walking towards Kyoko; not to confront her, but the real people behind this game.
Ah... that would make sense.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2016, 01:40:19 AM »
Alright, finally got some time to watch Future Arc 7. Aaaah past the halfway point.

Spoiler:
-Well, Monaca being "Junko 2" does kind of explain how they would be able to pull off Junko being the villain yet again. Although it's still fairly widely assumed that Monaca isn't the main villain, but I don't think that's a problem. I was kind of expecting her to be good-ish now though and it looks like she miiiight not be.

-I still think it's pretty weird that all of those shitty kids from Ultra Despair Girls survived. Like... How though? I know there was an ending that showed they were alive, but was there some other hint to it that I just missed? Kind of seemed like an asspull, even within that game.

-Yaaaay Komaru and Toko! I am so on board with this!

-Genocide Jill isn't as fun with the Japanese voice actress...

-It's more or less conventional that someone dies every episode, and this episode seems like it focuses on a different cast. Does that mean one of them will die? Does that mean Byakuya just death flagged by saying "As long as I'm alive we can't lose"? God I hope so.

-Wow, that episode was really uneventful for this show. So we eliminated a red herring and set up an important new plot point so I guess that's a lot, but it felt like barely anything happened.

-So is Maiya out for good, or will Komura be controlling her now? Seems like a decent opportunity to reintroduce one of the AI characters and have them control her I guess?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »
Alright, took me a while to get around to episode seven of Despair Arc because this show is on my bad side, but I've heard good stuff about this episode.

Spoiler:
-Just from watching the opening scene I would be inclined to guess that Ryota is going to play a huge role in the Catastrophic Event by giving Junko access to stealthy brainwashing techniques and that that's why its effects were so widespread, but I don't know that he would be in Future Foundation if he fairly directly personally destroyed the world. And I'm not sure if it would devalue the whole premise of the series on a thematic level if all the despair caused by the Event was the result of literal brainwashing. Maybe it wouldn't, but it would sure change the dynamic.

-The comedy in Despair Arc has been pretty weak so far, but I think every time a joke has revolved around Gundam it's been funny. Not that I want more pointless filler, but I wish he was in the show more just so we could see his hamsters in some different outfits.

-I'm getting increasingly tired of invincible omniscient ultra-mastermind super-serial killer Junko. I know it's not really out of step with how she's been portrayed in the games and obviously we know that she does lose eventually, but that's such a tired trope.

-Wow, good on the show for making each member of the student council unique and obviously interesting. It's just like they're another Danganronpa cast and we could have gotten to know all of them as easily as any of the other classes. Given the show's obvious budget problems I'm really impressed they didn't just use generic blue cutouts.

-Jesus, that was disgusting. There's the nausea-inducing Danganronpa we all know. Can't help but feel like that carnage wasn't reeeeally earned. Couldn't we have thrown one of the boring filler episodes away and gotten an entire episode based on the student council instead? That way this would have been even more horrifying and would have felt a lot less truncated.

-Oh hey, this is that one song from Evangelion. This show is anime-savvy enough that I'm sure that's a reference and not a coincidence.

-Okay, the headmaster's line about "They've done what we expected" makes me feel a bit better about how easily Junko is getting away with everything. If the school wasn't somehow unaware that she was blatantly murdering people in broad daylight nonstop then that makes things a lot more believable. Then we have the question of why they're putting up with her, but that's an interesting question and not a shitty plot hole, so great.

-Wow, Tengan is super suspicious now, yeah. This seems like a huge check in the "He's one of the culprits" category.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:29:06 AM by commandercool »