Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 150958 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2016, 09:59:57 PM »
Railgun was top of the mountain years ago and Index has a niche deck that works well

Is there any way to make this card work? I've always kind of thought it was cool but it seems bad.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #331 on: June 05, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Is there any way to make this card work? I've always kind of thought it was cool but it seems bad.
I remember seeing a deck with 20 Sisters, 10 of this edition, and 10 of an other one. I don't think it will be "good" in a robust way, but it can definitely work as a gimmick with Accelerator Level 6.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #332 on: June 05, 2016, 11:30:06 PM »
What does "if you have four or more other Sisters" mean exactly? Have where? In play? Visible? Just in your deck? In your wallet? That translation doesn't seem very clear. What's the intent?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #333 on: June 06, 2016, 03:49:44 AM »
What does "if you have four or more other Sisters" mean exactly? Have where? In play? Visible? Just in your deck? In your wallet? That translation doesn't seem very clear. What's the intent?
If it doesn't clarify where, then it means on the board. It's somewhere in the rulebook

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #334 on: June 06, 2016, 03:56:47 AM »
Wow, that is... Reeeeeally weak.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #335 on: June 06, 2016, 04:03:27 AM »
Wow, that is... Reeeeeally weak.

Old Weiss is full of those, really flavorful cards with weird effects that are usually bad and fun. Sadly those days are gone replaced with staples for every set now

« Reply #336 on: June 10, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
Well, Eternal Masters is out now. Anybody going to have a chance to pick it up? A place near me is having a draft of it tonight and I'm hoping to get in on that.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #337 on: June 10, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »
I rolled the dice and preordered 8 packs. Will report in once I get my hands on them in an hour or so. Hoping for value.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #338 on: June 10, 2016, 04:53:42 PM »
I opened 2 boxes. First pack was Wasteland and foil Sneak Attack. Went downhill from there.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #339 on: June 10, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Bought 8 packs and picked up a ninth. I got Karakas! (TCGplayer mid value: $90)

So in that alone, I made my money back. Lots of good pauper cards too. Once I'm home I can go into more detail.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #340 on: June 10, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »
I might snag a handful of packs if I see them, but I don't really plan to go hunting for them.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
All right, summary:

Rares:
Karakas ~ $90
Entomb ~ $19
Toxic Deluge ~ $9
Duplicant ~ $6
Murderous Affliction x2 ~ $1.29 each
Sulfuric Vortex ~ $1
Silvos, Rogue Elemental ~ $1
Void ~ $0.89

Foils, no rares:
Nimble Mongoose ~ $12
Wirewood Symbiote ~ $12
Peregrine Drake ~ $12
Honden of Night's Reach ~ $3
Sylvan Might
Dismal Backwater
Benevolent Bodyguard
Deadbridge Shaman
Plague Witch

Other fairly valuable pulls:
Rancor
Counterspell x2
Wirewood Symbiote (nonfoil)
Blood Artist
Price of Progress x2
Wall of Omens
Swords to Plowshares
Hymn to Tourach

All in all, lots of value. Pretty damn pleased.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2016, 09:18:24 PM »
So... how do I go about trading/selling online? I think I wanna trade Karakas for some Bitterblossoms. Or sell it to buy them.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #343 on: June 10, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
There are trade network sites out there, and I know people who swear they're secure enough to be able to trade confidently without being ripped off. I can't remember the names of any of them, but you should be able to find the big ones if you look I imagine.

You could trade in to an online store and use the credit they give you to buy the cards from them. That's what I usually do, typically with Troll and Toad and occasionally with Coolstuffinc. You get less that way, but as long as you take credit and not cash it's not usually too much less, and it's the safest and most hassle-free option in my experience.

You could also sell on Ebay, then put them cash toward the cards you want. You lose out on Ebay and Paypal fees this way, but you should get relatively good value. I no longer bother with Ebay personally, partly since I had a lot of trouble with it and partly because I run and Ebay store professionally and don't want to bring my work home. This works the best with hot cards (and anything from Eternal Masters should be I imagine) since niche cards have the potential of not finding a marker and it's relatively high-maintenance, but if you're set up for it it may be the way to go.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #344 on: June 10, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »
For trading, Pucatrade. I've never used it personally so your mileage may vary.
For selling, if you already know you're looking to get cards in return, research buylists from reputable shops and take store credit, then exchange for what you want.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #345 on: June 10, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
Oh right, Pucatrade. That's the one I've been told is good. Can't confirm it, but I've got a coworker who's really into it.

Edit: So I'm still playing the Pokemon TCG Online. My deck is just about done, I need a few more cards to finish it and I may tweak the trainers a little, but I basically have all the rare cards I need. It's not incredibly reliable, but when it wins it's glorious. The whole deck is built around this Gourgeist and this Malamar. They're both weak, fragile Pokemon, but they don't take too long to get set up and if you get even a couple of turns to set up on a defenseless opposing Pokemon with either of them you basically win.

The deck uses trainers like Lysandre (the most underrated card in the game in my experience) to buy me time to grind out extra uses of powerful trainers with Malamar or significantly weaken my opponent's entire team with Gourgeist. People often leave heavy, slow Ex Pokes on their bench with the intent to power them up over time, so if I can pull off dragging one out and setting up on it the results are hilarious. It's easy to counter if you know what to expect and there are a number of relatively commonly-played cards that shut me down pretty hard (anything offering free retreats is tough to deal with), but them's the breaks. And I've got a copy of Life Dew that can create some absolutely crushing advantages for me if I can return it to my hand multiple times a game with Malamar. People often concede on the spot the third time I play it in a game.

Aside from that the deck is just card draw/card filtering stuff to grease the wheels, a toolbox of utility effects, and a handful of Ex or otherwise buff basic Pokemon to clean up once my two all-stars soften up my opponent's team. It's never going to be a good deck, but it's fun enough to play that it keeps me coming back. I actually might buy some more of the cards from this deck in real life so I can play them in the rare event that I play paper Pokemon.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:22:17 AM by commandercool »

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2016, 02:26:56 AM »
Man, you're ALMOST making me wanna reinstall that...I'm beyond terrible but having someone I sort-of interact with(though for a different game normally) might make it worth messing with again.

I had this absolutely garbage deck I got a couple people to forfeit against me with that was basically me flooding it with status effects.  Primarily sleep since that's what a lot of the free decks and stuff had, but I also have some confusion and the odd Wurmple in there to poison things if I get lucky.  If I got proper cards for it it could be super annoying.

Only problem is it hits like kittens without my statuses and the ones I have the most of require a lot of coin flips to get anywhere.

EDIT:  Oh I never UNinstalled it.  Well then. I guess that might be a sign I should boot it up and see what happens.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2016, 03:09:15 AM »
The problem with status spam is that there are a few strong cards (the special fairy energy and the steel stadium) that make Pokemon immune to status basically for free. It's pretty strong when it works, but it's not even close to reliable.

If you decide to play and get ahold of any non-trade locked cards at all let me know and I'll send you a list of my extra stuff. I can float you some cards to help fill out your deck if I've got anything you want. I'm told playing in theme deck-only tournaments is a decent way for free-to-play players to get their decks off the ground. (For the record I'm not IAP, I was just given a stack of code cards when I started that got me a nice chunk of stuff to work with.)

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #348 on: June 11, 2016, 03:15:40 AM »
Oh, yeah I made it to the finals of a theme deck tourney with the Mental Might freebie deck.  Was a fun one too.

As for those status immunity cards, ewwwww.  That's sort of disappointing that they have a bunch of neat possibilities there and then it's like "oh by the way there're these couple cards that basically shut that down entirely.  Have fun!"  Guess I'd better stockpile the Crushing Hammers or something if I do decide to play more seriously.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #349 on: June 11, 2016, 03:17:59 AM »
For the record, I haven't actually run into that fairy energy very many times. The cookie-cutter Ex Florges decks don't seem to run it all the time, presumably because it is vulnerable to Crushing Hammer. Definitely something to be aware of though.

« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2016, 03:54:56 AM »
Pulled open my Eternal Masters packs. No money cards, bot a lot of stuff that looks like it'll be fun to slot into Commander decks. I feel like there's a lot of material coming together for a G/W deck.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2016, 03:57:01 AM »
I feel like there's a lot of potential for a Naya Zoo deck in Pauper with the rarity shift in Nimble Mongoose. Throw in Nimble Mongoose, Kird Ape, and Wild Nacatl in a deck filled with pump spells, burn spells, and fog spells. It would be neat!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #352 on: June 11, 2016, 03:57:52 AM »
Pulled open my Eternal Masters packs. No money cards, bot a lot of stuff that looks like it'll be fun to slot into Commander decks. I feel like there's a lot of material coming together for a G/W deck.

You got a commander in mind? Green/white is one of those color combinations I've never been that impressed by, but I know there are some interesting options.

« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2016, 04:08:02 AM »
You got a commander in mind? Green/white is one of those color combinations I've never been that impressed by, but I know there are some interesting options.
I pulled Sigarda, Heron's Grace in a recent draft so I was thinking of building around Humans since there's a LOT of good options even if you just go with stuff from the Innistrad blocks.

Something like Trostani, Selesnya's Voice or Rhys the Redeemed is next on the list because mmmmmmmmmm gimme them tokens

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
I keep pulling cool steel Pokemon, but building a new deck from the ground up is tough in a game with such limited resources. Still, a steel deck is probably my next best bet since it's super effective against all the fucking fairy spam. Maybe steel/water to counter out my fire weakness. Right now my goal is to find a stage-one steel Pokemon that can one-shot Florges Ex on turn two with a Fighting Fury Belt, so I guess it would need to be able to do 70 damage with two energy. Anything come to mind for anyone? I'd prefer to avoid coin flips but honestly I'd be willing to take the risk as long as it's a two-shot without them. Other drawbacks are fine.

Edit: Florges has 160 HP, not 170, so I would "only" need 60 damage on turn two with two energy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:16:43 PM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #355 on: June 11, 2016, 07:51:22 PM »
Just bought one pack of Eternal Masters for goofs and it was basically empty. Watched somebody else buy two packs, crap and crap. Oh well.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #356 on: June 13, 2016, 12:42:28 PM »
I pulled an ultra-rare full art Alakazam Ex followed by an ultra-rare full art Mega Alakazam Ex in consecutive packs last night in the Pokemon TCG, so now I feel like I have to at least try them out to see if I want to try to hunt down more copies. They're kind of compatible with the theme of my deck, so they might do well even though I'm not a big fan of Mega Evolution as a mechanic. The problem is, my Gourgeist/Malamar core takes up a huge chunk of my deck's Pokemon base already, so adding another evolution line, even if I'm only planning on bringing on Mega Evolution, is a huge chore to make room for. I could probably make the deck significantly better by cutting the Malamar line entirely, but I don't want to. It's so cool...

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »
Just bought one pack of Eternal Masters for goofs and it was basically empty. Watched somebody else buy two packs, crap and crap. Oh well.

That's why I made sure to buy at least 1/3 of a box, myself-- considering most booster boxes tend to have 2-5-ish mythics. It was a dumb gamble that worked out for me.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #358 on: June 15, 2016, 01:43:00 AM »
I must have changed something with Pokemon that just broke the game overnight. I went from fighting nothing but the same semi-manageable bullshit bitch netdeck to fighting two different, WAY more powerful bitch netdecks every single game. Like, I had never seen these decks before today, and of the 20 or so games I've played today I probably saw them seven or eight times each. I'd say maybe I accidentally selected the wrong format, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I secretly got laddered up to some new tier? If that's the case then I'll probably be dropping back down any second now, because I think I've won two games all day.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2016, 01:55:11 AM »
From the way you've been explaining it, there's only a couple decks in the overall meta that anyone plays and that sounds... really boring.

Granted, that's Modern Magic in a nutshell, but the field is really diverse and facing all these ridiculous fucking cheap decks just makes me want to run something so disgustingly cruel because it sparks my competitive side in the worst way while still being uncommon enough that I don't feel like a copycat playing it. You wanna make Magic unfun for your opponent? I'll make it so unfun for you that you literally will not be permitted to play.

I'll play for you.