Author Topic: "Long range" characters  (Read 4235 times)

Stifled Voices

• Nobody needs to say hello to me.
  • I try to speak, but I can't...
"Long range" characters
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:51:34 AM »
Tell me about it....

What characters here do you perceive to be the long-ranged type, for whatever reason? I'd like to hear what you got to say.

By long range I mean preferring to stick back and use danmaku attacks rather than charge straight in.

NOTE: This is full on fandom opinion and headcanon. As much as the games (including the fighting games) are the real deal, they're not the best indicators of what a spellcard fight in Gensokyo would look like.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:01:13 AM by SoundsOfSilence »

Drake

Re: "Long range" characters
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:20:19 AM »
Pretty much everyone besides the characters than are basically said or shown to use many physical attacks already i.e. Yuuka, Meiling, Suika, Yuugi, Remilia, Byakuren.

Momiji is weird because she has a sword but her sight makes it dumb to not mainly use long-range attacks. I would venture Reimu is keen on kicks, but that's just what I think would be cool.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Stifled Voices

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:40 AM »
Dagnabbit, this went nowhere. Basically, the characters you expect to be depicted using long range danmaku.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:38:12 AM »
Pretty much everyone besides the characters than are basically said or shown to use many physical attacks already i.e. Yuuka, Meiling, Suika, Yuugi, Remilia, Byakuren.
Don't forget Youmu. (?)

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:03:34 AM »
Well, it's hard to have a discussion about this when pretty much everyone uses Danmaku all the time in the games.  What else would they use? Except for the aforementioned melee trained characters of course.
Normal 1cc: EoSD (ReimuA, MarisaA), IN (Border Team)
My first 1cc!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:04:38 AM »
All I can think of are the characters who explicitly have ranged weapons. As in physical objects that they hold with the intent to throw or shoot. Sakuya, Eirin, Futo, and Shou I guess. Maybe more I can't remember.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »
I tend to think of Flandre as a long range bomber.  Her beloved Laevatein is just insane.  I find it handy as when she activates it it literally extends itself and then the fire that follows is just amazing.  (but maybe I am just biased like that?  Who knows)

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
Mmmh... i think you should specify if you mean "danmaku attacks" or generic "ranged attacks", since the former are a "special" type of the latter....

to the "expected range attacker" i would add those characters that are physically weak or at least never portraited as physical powerhouses like Patchouli and Yuyuko....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:29:40 PM by Espadas »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Dagnabbit, this went nowhere. Basically, the characters you expect to be depicted using long range danmaku.
I'm confused. If this is a gameplay discussion, it belongs in Help Me Eirin. If this is about "what kind of danmaku do you expect them to use based on their personalities", well, as was pointed out, we already know their attacks so that can't really be ignored.

Please clarify.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »
Kyouko.

An echo themed youkai would be more at ease fighting from a distance.

We also have a special case with Komachi who can bend the very concept of distance  :D.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 01:16:02 AM »
Alice, Yuyuko, Patchy, Yukari.

Stifled Voices

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »
I'm confused. If this is a gameplay discussion, it belongs in Help Me Eirin. If this is about "what kind of danmaku do you expect them to use based on their personalities", well, as was pointed out, we already know their attacks so that can't really be ignored.

Please clarify.
...Characters often depicted using danmaku attacks from really far away (farther than usual), rather than moving in and using physical attacks

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
...Characters often depicted using danmaku attacks from really far away (farther than usual), rather than moving in and using physical attacks
Mm, I meant more if this is related to gameplay or a fan thing about which characters might use what kinds of danmaku based on their personalities.

Pretty sure you mean the latter, but I just want to be sure so your thread gets the right audience.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Stifled Voices

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
Mm, I meant more if this is related to gameplay or a fan thing about which characters might use what kinds of danmaku based on their personalities.

Pretty sure you mean the latter, but I just want to be sure so your thread gets the right audience.
It's a fan thing.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 02:58:02 AM »
I'm gonna shoot for the moon here. On that note:

Marisa: Maybe. She uses lasers and familiars which are both distinctly long range. But she also uses ramming attacks and broom sweeps in the fighting games.

Reimu: Homing amulets, fast forward-focus attacks, barrier fields which cover a large area. Reimu is definitely long range.

Patchouli: Physically weak, lasers, spells designed to keep the enemy away, spells restricting enemy movement. A very obvious one.

Sakuya: In a sense. Her style is to move in close, surround the enemy with knives, then back away. From her perspective it's close range in a hit and run fashion. From the enemy's perspective it's all long range.

Flandre: Quite debatable. Her ability to destroy anything is good at any range (a comet headed for SDM) but she can't use that in spellcard battles. I can't imagine many of her spellcards in a 3D setting (cranberry trap, starbow break,  counterclock) so it's hard for me to tell.

Letty: Her style is blizzards and frost, quite long range. I say her and not Cirno because Cirno's style is to manually, personally freeze individual objects. Letty creates a blizzard to cover an area.

Alice: Special in that she uses hand to hand combat at a distance. Because she's comparatively vulnerable while manipulating her dolls, I'd say her best bet is to stay at a distance.

Yuyuko:
It's a fan thing.
A lot of wide area spells and "slingshot" butterfly bullets. I see her as the type to wipe out an army rather than assassinate an individual. This is obviously without her ability to kill people, which is quite effective at any range.

Yukari: Sometimes. She has plenty of physical power. She can teleport for hit and run style, or put up a barrier to act as a tank. But she also has plenty of long range spells and AoE spells. If that weren't enough, she has millions of borders she can manipulate to give herself the edge in battle. How she fights is really up to her preferences at the moment.

Wriggle: In a sense. Her style is to send in bugs to swarm an enemy or to poison them. She doesn't actually fight at long range because her style isn't fighting. She assassinates at long range. This is why danmaku battles are not her strong point.

Eirin: Her arrows. That's all I got 0_0

Aya: Maybe. As anyone who played STB knows, Aya has to get very close to take a picture -_- But she manipulates wind and her spellcards are distance types, so IDK.

Komachi: In a sense. Komachi uses hand to hand, but because of her ability range means nothing. She can be fighting hand to hand from a mile away.

Nitori: Potentially good at any range, but her spells and technology seem to prefer long range attacks. (Exteeeending Aaaaarm, Superscope 3D). She is a long range character but could probably invent something to change this if she wanted to.

Sanae: Super long range. The greater her miracle the longer it takes for her to create it so her power is best used if she has plenty of time to prepare. It stands to reason that, if left alone, she would need to be far away from her enemy to give herself time to prepare. If she doesn't have time to prepare she uses the power of her gods, which helps her when she needs an immediate result. She also turns her preparations into attacks, but I don't know what range that would be considered as the attack part is more a side effect.

Iku: Assuming she can actually control the lightning she creates, and assuming the lightning behaves normally otherwise. If that's the case, she can potentially attack someone from several miles away.

Utsuho: Utsuho is a hard one. She's much stronger at close range (imagine trying to dodge her suns before they've spread apart) but any enemy who lets her get close is suicidal. Since keeping a distance will be an enemy's top priority Utsuho would be wasting a lot of energy trying to get close, especially since she's still very powerful at long range.

Ichirin: Like Alice, Ichirin specializes in long range hand to hand. However, Ichirin focuses more on raw power than Alice, whereas Alice focuses more on skill and strategy.

Shou: As I said before, lasers are very distinctly long range. And all Shou uses are lasers.

Kyouko: Another obvious one, perhaps even more so than Patchouli. I'm not explaining this.

Seiga: It's possible that Seiga and Yoshika both attack their enemy at a close range, but given Seiga's nature and the fact that as long as Seiga is alive Yoshika can be revived, I find it far more likely that Seiga attacks from afar while Yoshika keeps the enemy occupied up close.

Soga: Same as Iku, with the lightning. She also uses arrows.

Raiko: Same reasons as Iku and Soga. Lightning is a ranged ability.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:56:03 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
Really? No mention on Reisen? I mean, outside of danmaku, I am pretty sure that she would be trained in the ways of firearms.