Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)  (Read 55767 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)
« Reply #750 on: June 15, 2011, 04:35:05 AM »
>"A burger? You mean artiery-clogging food?"
>"Sure, Why the hell not."

>Let's put that this way: "Sounds good to me."
>"I shouldn't be too long."

« Reply #751 on: June 15, 2011, 05:25:09 AM »
>Do we know about arteries and cholesterol?
>Actually, what skills have we picked up from our apprenticeship? Aside from learning how to do pile drivers and flying lariats from Marisa?

>You certainly know about arteries and basic anatomy - it's useful knowledge for someone whose line of work can involve combat or injury. Cholesterol... not so much.
>The basic course covers a variety of skills including lockingpicking, basic appraisal, negotiation, reading body language and deception, wilderness and urban tracking skills, stealth, first aid, and so forth. Moreover, you got practice with throwing knives and some magical devices since you had a knack for them - the dowsing rods you own are not the first you've used, although they're rather better than those you practiced on. Your time with Marisa was more instructive in the rough-and-tumble sense than any specific theoretical skills - dodging and avoiding explosions, your first real fistfight, and so forth. You did learn to recognize certain magics, although your knowledge of the mechanics behind them is basic at best and you have no magical talent to speak of. You think Marisa was a little crestfallen that she couldn't mould you into a second humanoid artillery Seeker.

>Let's put that this way: "Sounds good to me."
>"I shouldn't be too long."

>Marisa nods. "You know that place just off of Eastmarket? Fountainside Grill? They make a mean burger."
>"Why'd you want a burger that was mean?" Honey says, frowning. "That doesn't sound any fun at all."
>Marisa just laughs and shakes her head. "They make some pretty awesome ones, too. Y'know, to balance things out."
>"Oh. Ok then."
>"'sides, you're getting a giant sundae, anyway," Marisa says, throwing you a somewhat pointed but cheerful grin.
>Honey cheers again.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #752 on: June 15, 2011, 05:58:08 AM »
Seriously if you can make a random fairy as endearing as Honey you are awesomesauce on a platter.
>"Shall we go then?"

« Reply #753 on: June 15, 2011, 06:28:56 AM »
>Let's shall.
>Into the guildhall, to find the Honeycat.

« Reply #754 on: June 15, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »
Seriously if you can make a random fairy as endearing as Honey you are awesomesauce on a platter.

Awww... nice to know she's a hit ^^;

>"Shall we go then?"

>"Sounds good!" Marisa says. "Ok Honey, let's move out!" She turns and walks off down the square.
>"Right!" Honey says, fluttering after her.
>"See ya in a bit, Naz!" Marisa calls out, waving behind her.

>Let's shall.
>Into the guildhall, to find the Honeycat.

>You turn and return to the guildhall.
>Finding the cat proves to be quite straightforward. One of the apprentices is playing with it in the corner of the common room, having it chase after a bit of string. The cat is barely more than a kitten - certainly not fully grown - and quite rambunctious, pouncing on the slithering string as the apprentice yanks it away in the nick of time again and again. Or occasionally lets it grab hold and roll around with it a bit before repeating the cycle.
>"Hey, Nazrin," she says as you approach. "I heard this is yours or something?"

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #755 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:42 AM »
>Is it one of the right breeds for our fairy requesters?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #756 on: June 15, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »
>Is it one of the right breeds for our fairy requesters?

>One requested a cat with black and white patches and a big fluffy tail. The other requested one with stripes. The cat you already gave them was black and white, although it had a relatively normal tail. This one is a tabby, although more spotted than striped.

« Reply #757 on: June 15, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »
Close enough for me. Especially since I don't wanna have to traipse up and down town looking for another stray. Besides, you never know. Most of the fairy gang might've already forgotten.

>Watch the cat go for a moment. You're gonna give me more trouble than the last one, aren't you.
>"Well, mine for a while. Part of a job."
>"Energetic little thing, isn't it."

« Reply #758 on: June 15, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
>Watch the cat go for a moment. You're gonna give me more trouble than the last one, aren't you.
>"Well, mine for a while. Part of a job."
>"Energetic little thing, isn't it."

>You watch the cat play around a little. The absence of a convenient box for it to fall into is likely to make it more of a handful. On the other hand, it doesn't seem inclined to bolt off or it wouldn't be playing around like this.
>"Oh, huh. Finding someone's lost pet or something?" She yanks the string away from the cat only for it to swipe a paw out and grab it back immediately.
>"No kidding. Cute, too."

« Reply #759 on: June 15, 2011, 08:09:57 AM »
>"Finding a new pet, actually. For a gang of fairys."
>Have a glance around for a stray box.

« Reply #760 on: June 15, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »
>"Finding a new pet, actually. For a gang of fairys."
>Have a glance around for a stray box.

>She chuckles. "For fairies? Really? You trying to con them out of something, or is this charity work?"
>You have a glance around. There are no boxes to be seen here, but you could probably dig one up from storage.

« Reply #761 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:19 AM »
>"Charity, my tail. They paid me well enough. Well, well enough for a gang of fairys, anyway."
>"'scuse me a minute."
>Go in search of a box. Rather not have the little thing gnawing on our knuckles between here and there.

« Reply #762 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
>"Charity, my tail. They paid me well enough. Well, well enough for a gang of fairys, anyway."
>"'scuse me a minute."
>Go in search of a box. Rather not have the little thing gnawing on our knuckles between here and there.

>"Like I said," she replies.
>You go off in search of a box. The storeroom in the back contains a variety of miscellaneous objects and supplies - writing implements, stationary, cleaning supplies, and other unclassifiables. After some rummaging about, you manage to locate a box of suitable enough size and return with it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #763 on: June 15, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
>Stuff that kitten in the box. Where it belongs >=[

« Reply #764 on: June 15, 2011, 06:07:39 PM »
>Stuff that kitten in the box. Where it belongs >=[

>You creep towards the kitten, then scoop it up with the box as it pounces on the string the next time, closing the top up after it. The bit of string protrudes through the tiny gap in the top, still held in the apprentice's hands on the other end. You can hear the kitten fighting an epic battle with its prey from inside.
>The apprentice gives you a sidelong glance. "Don't be too gentle with it, now."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #765 on: June 15, 2011, 06:08:49 PM »
>"It'll be fine. Do you want your string back?"

« Reply #766 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
>"It'll be fine. Do you want your string back?"

>"It's just a scrap," she says, letting go of it. "Little thing has more use for it than I do."
>The contents of the box continue to tumble about.

« Reply #767 on: June 15, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »
>"That seems a safe bet. Thanks for keeping an eye on it."
>Off to Fortress Fairy.

« Reply #768 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
>"That seems a safe bet. Thanks for keeping an eye on it."
>Off to Fortress Fairy.

>"No problem," she says. "More fun that what I'd have been doing otherwise."
>You leave and head for Fortress Fairy, tumbling box in hand. After a few minutes, the string gives up the ghost and the cat turns to mewing instead. Still, it sounds substantially less distressed than the first cat you transported in such a fashion. Oh, wait, the string must still have some fight left in it...
>Soon enough, you arrive outside the warehouse again.

« Reply #769 on: June 15, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
>"You think that string was fun? Wait till you see what's comin'."
>Whistle sharply.
>"Anybody home? Seeker delievery!"

« Reply #770 on: June 15, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
>"You think that string was fun? Wait till you see what's comin'."
>Whistle sharply.
>"Anybody home? Seeker delievery!"

>You whistle and call out. A few moments later, the tiny fairy you collided with in the alleyway yesterday darts out of the window and swoops down towards you.
>"We don't need any more boxes," she says. "'sides, I already tried one like that, anyway..."
>The cat pounces at its lifeless prey yet again.
>The fairy's eyes widen. "A moving box!"

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #771 on: June 15, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
>"Oh, So you want a moving box to? Sorry to disappoint ladies, But Instead..."
>Open up the box and show them the kitten.

« Reply #772 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
>"Oh, So you want a moving box to? Sorry to disappoint ladies, But Instead..."
>Open up the box and show them the kitten.

>You open the lid of the box to reveal the cat inside! ...who immediately tries to leap out. Fortunately you manage to close it again before it gets free.
>"Ooo... another kitty!" The fairy claps. "Him and Mittens are going to be bestest friends!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #773 on: June 15, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
>Give her the box!
>"How is Mittens doing, by the by?"
>Did we get our pay yet?

« Reply #774 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
>Give her the box!
>"How is Mittens doing, by the by?"
>Did we get our pay yet?

>You hand her the box. She's actually small enough that she has trouble holding onto it, but makes a valiant attempt just the same. You kinda worry that the box might leap out of her tenuous grip entirely if the cat gets any friskier.
>"He's great!" she says. "Everyone's been taking care of him and playing with him and I gave him his own little pillow in the corner of the box fort!"
>You pocketed the unidentified mechanical part as part of your pay earlier, in lieu of the umbrella. At first you accepted an offer of 4 guilders on top of that from one of the other fairies, but then said you'd negotiate final pay upon completion, depending on how specifically you fulfilled their requests.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #775 on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »
>"That's good. You better get this little guy in there before he gets way from you."

« Reply #776 on: June 15, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »
>"That's good. You better get this little guy in there before he gets way from you."

>She nods. "Thanks, mousy!"
>The fairy flies unsteadily up to the window, her wings straining under the load. You don't think she can see quite where she's going with the box in front of her face, either. At least that might explain why she flew into the wall a half foot below the window, letting out a little 'oof' upon impact. She cranes her neck over the edge of the box and adjusts upwards for a second attempt. And manages to aim for the actual window this time! However, she fails to compensate for the width of the box, knocking the side of it against the window frame instead. You cringe, half-expecting the box to tumble from the sky, but she somehow manages to keep a grip on it. She pulls back from the window, stares at it adversarialy for a moment, then readjusts her trajectory and makes it through on the third try.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #777 on: June 15, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »
>Good. Another one off the streets.
>...Have they been keeping them fed and watered?

« Reply #778 on: June 15, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »
>Good. Another one off the streets.
>...Have they been keeping them fed and watered?

>And one less for the mice of the city to worry about!
>That's a good question. You'd like to think that among the lot of them, at least one of the fairies would have thought of this. Then again, fairies don't need to eat, themselves, and are kinda forgetful...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #779 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
>Wait for the faerie to return.